• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance demo is up on Xbox Live and PSN US. PSN EU whenever.

LOL I thought Kojima productions was handling the cinema scenes as well

Think they mention it in the apology re announcement vid
That could just be something they say, you know?
Needless to say, I've already seen several things way off base for a Kojima production, and well in line with Platinum's usual tastes.
[Honestly, I'm finding it very similar to Anarchy Reigns in storytelling style, anyone else seeing that?]
From just the demo, I would say Revengeance is much more like a really subdued and serious Platinum game, than an over the top Kojima game.
Anyone disagree?

Kinyou

Found an Easter Egg.
In the tutorial mode, when you're supposed to cut the guys who are holding hostages;

When you're making the cut extremely close to the female hostage her clothing will fade away and show her in bra and panties.

Dave1988

Another easter egg: After you save the civilian and he runs off, you can actually catch up to him and slice his clothes off. He'll run away in his underwear. XD

I cant find the answer to this, do you use the dodge the same timing you would use parry? Or is a successful dodge different timing than the parry? And does forward, back left or right matter or are you invincible for any of the four choices?

Is there a way to block bullets, I know it was mentioned somewhere but I cant remember where.

Also... is there a way to make blade mode slow down time or something? Its way too hard to be accurate while your getting attacked real time.

zroid

Banned
holy shit, once you get the hang of how the combat works, IT'S SO FUCKING SATISFYING

hnnnnggggghhhhhhh

Is there a way to block bullets, I know it was mentioned somewhere but I cant remember where.

Just tap square as you run towards them, I think. Not sure if it's possible while stationary.

jett

D-Member
BTW, it's pretty obvious Platinum Games are handling the cut-scenes. They look really similar to Vanquish's, they bare no resemblance to KojiPro's style. And prerendering them is really not KP's thing, either.

Naomi and Mei Ling sounded hilarious in the PS1 version though.

Wat. Their accents added a lot of personality. Removing them was tragic. And MGS1 has by far the best voice acting in the entire franchise.

Mit-

Use Ninja Run. During the run, Raiden will automatically deflect bullets.

Does this work for rockets/grenades? I kind of just get the hell out of the way of grenades. And slowing down and cutting them up manually sounds like a time-wasting pain.

branny

I cant find the answer to this, do you use the dodge the same timing you would use parry? Or is a successful dodge different timing than the parry? And does forward, back left or right matter or are you invincible for any of the four choices?
The timing is stricter and slightly different due to when the invincibility frames kick in. If you know how to parry correctly, the timing is most similar to that, but it's also dependent how close you are to the attack in question because certain attacks can still catch you based on the boss fight in the demo (for example, using the sidestep on the chainsaw grapple pounce will still get you grabbed, but the backstep will work).

The swing on the sword is also enough to knock some enemies out of their attack animations, just like most of Raiden's other regular attacks. If you don't want to parry, you will need to know which to use (out of the sidesteps and the backstep) to guard against different kinds of attacks. The sidesteps will sometimes spin you nearly behind an enemy if you are soft/hard-locked on to the enemy and relatively close, as well, but I haven't played around with it enough yet to know exactly what causes this.

Inputting the analog direction for the left/right steps is relative to Raiden's facing position, not the camera. It's easiest to use 1 (down-left) and 3 (down-right) + jump + wide attack for the sidesteps (assuming Raiden is facing forward) since using just left or right can lead to input error. There is no forward step.

Like others have said, use ninja run, and Raiden will automatically deflect bullets. Projectiles like rockets can be cut in blade mode.

Thanks for the reply's!

I had a late edit second question: Also... is there a way to make blade mode slow down time or something? Its way too hard to be accurate while your getting attacked real time.

branny

I had a late edit second question: Also... is there a way to make blade mode slow down time or something? Its way too hard to be accurate while your getting attacked real time.
When you first enter blade mode, there is a slow down effect. If you run out of FC, you no longer get the slow down. When it's blue, you're good.

Though you can manually angle your strikes with the right stick, using the attack buttons gives you quick horizontal (wide attack button) and vertical (strong attack button) slashes that you can line up by casually nudging the left stick, kind of like a "spray and pray" alternative if you don't want to fuss around with the aiming.

That could just be something they say, you know?
Needless to say, I've already seen several things way off base for a Kojima production, and well in line with Platinum's usual tastes.
[Honestly, I'm finding it very similar to Anarchy Reigns in storytelling style, anyone else seeing that?]
From just the demo, I would say Revengeance is much more like a really subdued and serious Platinum game, than an over the top Kojima game.
Anyone disagree?

I dont know Kojima has had some off the wall stuff

I mean he put a fat man on roller blades sipping wine.
A dude who fights with hornets and another who has a lizard tongue.

Not to mention the crotch grabs and naked Raiden and talking Liquid Arms

If anything it's like Platinum and Koji Pro are long lost soul mates

I'll give you that Platinum does cheesy on purpose

I dont know Kojima has had some off the wall stuff

I mean he put a fat man on roller blades sipping wine.
A dude who fights with hornets and another who has a lizard tongue.

Not to mention the crotch grabs and naked Raiden and talking Liquid Arms

If anything it's like Platinum and Koji Pro are long lost soul mates

I'll give you that Platinum does cheesy on purpose

Everyone's a critic.

When you first enter blade mode, there is a slow down effect. If you run out of FC, you no longer get the slow down. When it's blue, you're good.

Though you can manually angle your strikes with the right stick, using the attack buttons gives you quick horizontal (wide attack button) and vertical (strong attack button) slashes that you can line up by casually nudging the left stick, kind of like a "spray and pray" alternative if you don't want to fuss around with the aiming.

Thanks!

I am struggling with the right stick, I aim but then seem to screw up the angle I was going for when actually swinging lol, wonder if my controllers analogue sticks just drift too much.

!

kEelxHJ.jpg

Awesome!!! I won't be able to help spoiling myself...ughh

branny

Thanks!

I am struggling with the right stick, I aim but then seem to screw up the angle I was going for when actually swinging lol, wonder if my controllers analogue sticks just drift too much.
The tutorial room is good for practicing. Think of the initial directional movement as readying and aiming your blade. When it's where you want, let go of the stick, and you will slash.

It's a little finicky, but I'm sure you'll get the hang of it. If not, you can resort to the face buttons.

Ein Bear

Super late to this, but I only just now realised they dropped the 'Lightning Bolt Action' heading from the title. :(

REVENGEANCE is the best word ever created as it is, but damn. Maybe the plastic of the case couldn't support that much awesome written on it without cracking.

Kinyou

Nah, total need. Game doesn't maintain 60fps. It has tons of screen tearing on 360.

Come on with PC announcement!
You could also implement the same pysics engine the Force Unleashed games used. You know, wood behaving like wood, glass behaving like glass etc. would make cutting the environment a lot more interesting.

Thanks!

practice on the beach just slicin shit

In the beginning I flick the right stick to get used to the way it cuts

Then when I got familiar with it I used it in battles then Blade mode afterword

Super late to this, but I only just now realised they dropped the 'Lightning Bolt Action' heading from the title. :(

REVENGEANCE is the best word ever created as it is, but damn. Maybe the plastic of the case couldn't support that much awesome written on it without cracking.

Oh no I just realized this myself. I will write in on a piece of paper and slide it in the case lol

Inputting the analog direction for the left/right steps is relative to Raiden's facing position, not the camera. It's easiest to use 1 (down-left) and 3 (down-right) + wide attack for the sidesteps (assuming Raiden is facing forward) since using just left or right can lead to input error.

Thanks for the reply! That was helpfull, but I dont really understand what you mean by this part.

Toa TAK

Banned
I just finished playing it. I was initially skeptical, but ohmygoditisofun. The soundtrack is awesome, and the controls were surprisingly easy to get used to. Voice acting and dialogue are what I'd expect from MGS, so it gets a pass there. But jesus, that was too much greatness in a demo.

I'm glad I downloaded it, because I'm now excited to pick it up next month.

branny

Thanks for the reply! That was helpfull, but I dont really understand what you mean by this part.
Oh, the numbers refer to the directions on a number pad. I thought putting it in English in parenthesis would help those who aren't familiar with that sort of fighting game terminology, but that may have made it more confusing.

Also, the directions required change depending on which way Raiden is facing. If he's facing forward, a right sidestep would be performed by pressing down/right + jump + wide attack (square on PS3). If he's facing left, a right sidestep would be performed by pressing up/right + jump + wide attack.

I hope that helps. I accidentally left out "jump" from the button input and have corrected the original post in case that was also throwing anyone off.

I really liked the demo. Sometimes I have a hard time sitting down and being genuinely interested in a game, I had no issue with this one.

I'm going to be honest, I won't pick this up at $60 but I will pick it up.

Violater

Well I have certainly lost interest in the game.
The tutorial teaches nothing about the combat.
You go from slashing up boxes to enemies running 360 around you.

Top Bottom