• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance demo is up on Xbox Live and PSN US. PSN EU whenever.

Neiteio

Well I have certainly lost interest in the game.
The tutorial teaches nothing about the combat.
You go from slashing up boxes to enemies running 360 around you.
Playing on PS3? Lock onto enemies with R2. When they light up orange, push the stick in their direction and hit light attack (Square). Even if you do it well before they hit you, you'll block the incoming blow. If you do it the exact moment they hit you, you'll even knock them back in a stagger. :O

McNum

...I get it!

The game suddenly clicked for me now. Wow, what a difference between my first and second run through the demo. First run was dying everywhere. Second run was Jack the Ripper leaving pieces of his foes everywhere. Stealth killing a Gekko is just plain awesome. Sneaky, sneaky, sneaky SLASH, Blade Mode, CUT, Zandatsu, finish! Aww yeah.

And I can see the soldiers in this game uphold the traditional Metal Gear values of being very selective in their hearing and vision. You know the two guys with the hostage? I stealth killed one from above, cut him into 30 pieces and Zandatsu'd his power module. The other guy, who was standing right next to him, didn't even turn to see what that noise was. Two stealth kills for the price of one. For some reason the hostage was terrified.

What changed, pretty much, was me learning to Zandatsu and learning that there are a parry and a riposte move in the game. Parrying is nice, but you want to perfect parry so you counterattack. Poor dog, going from being the terror to meeting the terror.

Also, it is still a Metal Gear game. Stealth, while not as important as before, still works. You can kill the entire two Gekkos and five rocket launcher guys wave unseen. Which is almost as fun as hitting a guy in the face with a Gekko. That has to hurt.

Slygmous

I've never played anything from the Metal Gear franchise, I just downloaded this because of all the fuss about it.
It was really fun! I spent way too much time cutting up trees. Blew my mind when I tried to cut up the stairs I thought I needed to progress, I thought I broke the game for a minute.
I still couldn't beat that boss after 3 tries though, the cat thingie. Maybe I'm missing something or I just suck.
Anyway, game is suddenly on my radar.

jett

D-Member
Any word on either version running better?

Framerate is virtually the same.
Heavy tearing on the 360, no tearing on the PS3.
One missing special effect from the boss on the PS3.
Much higher bitrate and therefore video quality on the cut-scenes on the Ps3.

zroid

Banned
You don't even need to lock-on to parry, jut pressing the stick in the direction of the oncoming attack while tapping square is enough. It's pretty straightforward once you get the hang of it.

Violater

Playing on PS3? Lock onto enemies with R2. When they light up orange, push the stick in their direction and hit light attack (Square). Even if you do it well before they hit you, you'll block the incoming blow. If you do it the exact moment they hit you, you'll even knock them back in a stagger. :O

KuGsj.gif

Konami hire this man, thnx

branny

What's the [+] for below the FC and Health and everything else on the upper left portion of the HUD?
No clue. It stays at 0 in the gif someone posted, so it's probably not a style points BP bonus or anything. :(

Maybe it has something to do with the rage mode even though that doesn't seem active in the trailer.

edit: Watching the trailer again, the clip immediately following that one shows it with a "2", and the one after shows it with a "4". Maybe it's continues?

Ziek

The parry is too difficult, I feel like I am going to break my analog stick.

Keep practicing. I almost gave up but eventually got the timing down. The hardest one to block is the boss' zig-zag move. If you don't block it absolutely perfectly, you're going to lose health.

Sgblues

Anyone know about the windmill yet? When doing heavy attacks, after the second strike when Raiden has the sword attached to his foot, do back, forward + triangle and he does it

branny

That's just part of the windmill. If you want to do the full thing, do a 360 motion in any direction. :)

The back forward one is more useful tho, lol

I popped in MGS4 afterwards - I still think Raiden looks cooler, and darker in 4. Still, cannot wait for MGR and especially cant wait to see more bosses. The post MGS4 story will be very interesting to learn about too.
I like how pretty he is in MGS4. I want that skinnn

Naked Lunch

On the 3rd playthru I finally "got" the game - wow is this fun. Im usually into crazy, hard to play japanese games - and this was a struggle for me - frustrating even. Once you get it though - you GET it and the demo becomes easy as pie. I do find the parrying a bit too easy - potentially game breaking. The parry window is way too long - I felt like I shouldnt have been able to do it sometimes cause I was parrying hella early, yet it still worked. Plus it seems you can parry everything. Im sure this wont be the case in the full game.

I popped in MGS4 afterwards - I still think Raiden looks cooler, and darker in 4. Still, cannot wait for MGR and especially cant wait to see more bosses. The post MGS4 story will be very interesting to learn about too.

jett

D-Member
That's just part of the windmill. If you want to do the full thing, do a 360 motion in any direction. :)

The back forward one is more useful, lol

only cuz it's been downgraded.

hiyif8wyec0.gif

I can't replicate all this carnage in the demo. I like how the guy on the far left tries to avoid it. :lol

The parry is too difficult, I feel like I am going to break my analog stick.
It's extremely lenient, it'll block as long as you do it when you see something turn orange or a red eye flash. Are you sure you're doing it right?

Anyone know about the windmill yet? When doing heavy attacks, after the second strike when Raiden has the sword attached to his foot, do back, forward + triangle and he does it

You can do it just with b,f triangle from neutral. It's nice because it sweeps a wide arc with knockdown and you can cancel it into blade mode very easily for zandatsu or just to skip the long recovery. It's very vulnerable during startup, and you can't do much about that.

Oh, and the user on SRK who did the blade mode cancel combo did post the notations for it:

My BnB on the doggy

Triangle -> delay -> Square -> Fwd, Fwd, Square -> BMJC -> Palm -> BMC -> Stinger ( 3 hits) -> Fwd, Fwd, Square -> BMJC -> Fwd, Fwd, Square -> BMJC -> Jump -> Square -> Square -> Square -> Triangle -> Triangle -> BMC -> Palm

BMC = Blade Mode Cancel

BMJC = Blade Mode Jump Cancel

I'm naming it that for now.
Video

I've been trying to imitate it but I'm having some difficulty canceling the launcher.

It says Mistral in the video title, but I believe from five minutes onwards I'm listening to the music in the video you linked, sans lyrics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=fb8DfFimUJs#t=300s

In any case, that piece of music is badass as all fuck.

Yep. Song is boss as fuck regardless but the lyrics put it into god tier.

Rising pretty much proves that lyrical songs in games can be extremely effective as long as everything is used carefully. In the
RAY battle
, the lyrics kicking in basically gives the player a cue to fuck shit up.

No clue. It stays at 0 in the gif someone posted, so it's probably not a style points BP bonus or anything. :(

Maybe it has something to do with the rage mode even though that doesn't seem active in the trailer.

edit: Watching the trailer again, the clip immediately following that one shows it with a "2", and the one after shows it with a "4". Maybe it's continues?

It's probably the number of health rations Raiden has...

I hope the cutting mechanic gets more use in the product, would be cool to literally cut the floor from under the enemy if they are on a balcony or something to screw with them. The cut everything technology is pretty great

Ohhh, yeah that would make sense considering that the demo automatically uses them.

You get rations in the demo and they don't use automatically. Just slash up the boxes next to the door and the APC during the boss fight, they drop nanomachine™ paste that you can use as recovery items.

I don't think the [+] is for healing items

branny

I could've sworn when I was running around messing with enemies that I was getting healed when I should've died sometimes. Could just be a demo thing, I guess. =\

bigol

I could've sworn when I was running around messing with enemies that I was getting healed when I should've died sometimes. Could just be a demo thing, I guess. =\

In fact, it does. Even the description of nanomachine paste talks about authomatic recovery when your health goes to 0. You can also use them manually in menu

joe2187

Banned

Seems like a demo thing, or maybe just gameplay on normal thing, the codecs explained that you aobsorb electrolytes from enemies, maybe the more cuts you make give you health? I'm not certain

Also I'm pretty sure there is a limited meter for blade mode use, but it seem to disabled or something

Yeah they do activate to prevent death, I thought you meant it activates immediately like when you walk over zandatsu cores. Even so, if they were recovery items you'd get the [+] sign in the demo.

Gbraga

It's extremely lenient, it'll block as long as you do it when you see something turn orange or a red eye flash. Are you sure you're doing it right?

You can do it just with b,f triangle from neutral. It's nice because it sweeps a wide arc with knockdown and you can cancel it into blade mode very easily for zandatsu or just to skip the long recovery. It's very vulnerable during startup, and you can't do much about that.

Oh, and the user on SRK who did the blade mode cancel combo did post the notations for it:

Video

I've been trying to imitate it but I'm having some difficulty canceling the launcher.

Since he's calling it Blade Mode Jump Cancel, maybe you just jump and enter blade mode as soon as you get off the ground?

Endo Punk

The standard foes in the demo are really quite brain dead : Sometime they don't even face your direction in a fight lol. And performing a single clean slice in blade mode and getting all 3 at once is pure satisfaction.

I'm sure it's been mentioned a bunch, but I absolutely love that almost everything n that beginning area is slice-able. Except the cat.

Slicing up a pillar without it falling to pieces, then doing a palm strike on it causing it to explode apart is beautiful.

did that bit in the city (red hot kick, stealth kill, blade mode) and it was so fun LOL.

Gonna fuck around more in the section with the Geckos since i will get my ass handed to me at times, and then the dog to get the parry timing during his special move down.

Mupod

I'm sure it's been mentioned a bunch, but I absolutely love that almost everything n that beginning area is slice-able. Except the cat.

Slicing up a pillar without it falling to pieces, then doing a palm strike on it causing it to explode apart is beautiful.

Haha I thought I screwed myself over by cutting up the big staircase to get up to the first fight. Then I realized I could just ninja run up the sides of stuff.

Yeah they do activate to prevent death, I thought you meant it activates immediately like when you walk over zandatsu cores. Even so, if they were recovery items you'd get the [+] sign in the demo.
But they have added changes to the hud since the demo. I mean what else could it be?

Top Bottom