• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance demo is up on Xbox Live and PSN US. PSN EU whenever.

Hey, so you guys remember Vanquish pre-launch, right? Game Informer! 4 hours to beat! Sure you do.

WELP:
mgrr26u2g.jpg

This is flaoting around. It seems like that's the entire game. Granted, the 59 deaths thing is, uh...weird as fuck, but otherwise, it seems to check out. The achievements for Rising have 8 "acts" or "chapters" or whatever you want to call them and this is showing 8 grades with an overall grade at the end.

The extra hour and a half is probably the cutscenes.

Well, I'm gonna play this until I get my money's worth whether that's 1 playthrough or 5. Look at all those stats <3 Game of the year already.

I wonder if Restarting to Checkpoint will lower your overall Act score? I did it a lot in the demo because I wasn't happy with how encounters went unless it was A Rank or above, or was perfectly stealthed through.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if Restarting to Checkpoint will lower your overall Act score? I did it a lot in the demo because I wasn't happy with how encounters went unless it was A Rank or above, or was perfectly stealthed through.

I doubt it

Pretty sure it'll just average all the scores within the act like all of their other games

Reloading a check point manually is like reloading a save basically.

I doubt it

Pretty sure it'll just average all the scores within the act like all of their other games

Reloading a check point manually is like reloading a save basically, as long as you didn't die

In DmC restarting to checkpoint counted as a death, so that's why I'm worried.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
In DmC restarting to checkpoint counted as a death, so that's why I'm worried.

oh yikes

nah doesn't work that way in PG games. People actually exploit that for the "no death" completion trophies in their games.

Tanzen

I'm pretty sure it DOES count the time even if you die, I will check again tonight but for example I did an infiltration mission where I died a couple of times and the total time clearly counted everything. That's because the game evaluate you for each section and give you a different amount of Battle Point based also on the total time.

oh yikes

nah doesn't work that way in PG games. People actually exploit that for the "no death" completion trophies in their games.
Their games are on easy pretty "uh" easy, can't see why you need to exploit it that way :>. Anyway I wonder how hard revengeance difficulty is. Infinite Climax, Godhard or like hard in AR? Godhard Mode is probably the hardest I've encountered in their games.

New trailer up of the boss fights again. More is spoiled of the 3/4 boss fights (except Sam yet again just end bit) so don't watch because there's extra stuff besides what was on the previous boss fights trailer..
http://www.gamespot.com/metal-gear-...r-rising-the-desperado-elite-trailer-6403691/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExKSftzHMDA

Monsoon steals the show again, I guess.
Tossing cars is pretty cool

I guess the moves trailer confirms that most of the moves present in the demo are actually not yet unlocked at that level. I hope so because being able to stunlock the boss with the slide followup is silly, so hopefully it's only because the move wouldn't otherwise be available at that stage.

Zefiro

Banned
Are there any news about the PC version?

I could come around and play the console version, but i'd hate to do the mental gymnastics of deciding wich version is the least worst.

deim0s

Are there any news about the PC version?

I could come around and play the console version, but i'd hate to do the mental gymnastics of deciding wich version is the least worst.

Don't hold your breath.

Based on the demo they're virtually the same (PS3 has missing effects - most likely a bug, 360 has tearing), just pick it up on the console you like most.

How were the demos? Is it day one worthy? I haven't gotten around to playing them because of the atrocious download speeds in my university's dorms. sigh.

Zefiro

Banned
Well i dont like missing effect nor tearing, and im willing to wait a reasonable ammount of time for a problem free version.
Thing is the PC version seem to be vanished from existence, and im unable to find a single pice of info about it's release.

deim0s

Well i dont like missing effect nor tearing, and im willing to wait a reasonable ammount of time for a problem free version.
Thing is the PC version seem to be vanished from existence, and im unable to find a single pice of info about it's release.

When KojiPro held the project, the PC version was planned. When it was handed to PG - it's all up in the air.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

It vanished due to the disruption in development history. The PC version of Rising was when the project was called Metal Gear Solid: Rising and developed under Kojima Productions on their FOX Engine. This version is Platinum Games', developed on their own internal engine, and called Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance.

When KojiPro handed the project over to Platinum (the two are still working closely), and the engine changed, the PC version was cut.

All they've said is that they'd look into it after launch. I wouldn't hold your breath, but you never know.

Zefiro

Banned
Oh thank your for the pice of info i was missing, guess it must be console then.

Anyone here who tried both demos can nudge me in the right direction?
I'd go ps3 because tearing seem to be a bigger problem in fast paced games.

jett

D-Member
Hey, so you guys remember Vanquish pre-launch, right? Game Informer! 4 hours to beat! Sure you do.

WELP:
mgrr26u2g.jpg

This is flaoting around. It seems like that's the entire game. Granted, the 59 deaths thing is, uh...weird as fuck, but otherwise, it seems to check out. The achievements for Rising have 8 "acts" or "chapters" or whatever you want to call them and this is showing 8 grades with an overall grade at the end.

The extra hour and a half is probably the cutscenes.

lol at the rankings.

I've easily spent more than five hours with the demo. Anyway, it's completely unsurprising and I totally expected another Vanquish in terms of game length, considering the development time on this thing. People that believed the 12+ hours report...lulz.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Additional DLC VR missions are certainly gonna extend the games life, even if they are looking to be paid. Hopefully some are as devilishly hard as the Vanquish Challenges.

Since I've replayed the demo about 10 times, I have no fears of the campaign not being replayable.

Endo Punk

5 hours? Hmmm. It will probably take me 3x as long, I've already put about 5 hours into the demo. And why isn't the game in my hands right now!? The days are getting longer and these new videos every other day are not helping.

Additional DLC VR missions are certainly gonna extend the games life, even if they are looking to be paid. Hopefully some are as devilishly hard as the Vanquish Challenges.

Since I've replayed the demo about 10 times, I have no fears of the campaign not being replayable.
Plus there are already VR missions after playing through it. Without the dlc ones.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Does anyone remember this?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vanquish-blog-entry

He recorded himself beating Vanquish and skipping all cut-scenes, it took him 6 hours. In-game final time according to the game? Less than three hours. The fug?

I wouldn't put much stake in the time counter of a Platinum Games to be honest, either. Although who knows how MGR handles it.

It might literally be only counting "play" time, as in level traversal and fighting. Codec calls, mini-enemy entry cutscenes, text boxes and anything else may not be counted.

Hell, could go even further and its only battle times that are counted.

If anyone skipped Vanquish because of that play-time nonsense, boy did they fucking miss out. Sega really should do a double or triple pack at retail with Bayonetta, Vanquish, and maybe Anarchy Reigns.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The title had development problems, and it's not surprising to see a game arguably starved for content length, given Konami probably wanted it out sooner rather than later.
It's an action brawler, which already emphasises replay to master score and encounters, and focuses more on keeping encounters interesting and frequent.
It has several unlockable weapons and skills, plus NG+. If you're playing it once you're doing it wrong.

I like long games as much as anybody, but value is in the content I experience, not the content I didn't.

Mechazawa

Does anyone remember this?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vanquish-blog-entry

He recorded himself beating Vanquish and skipping all cut-scenes, it took him 6 hours. In-game final time according to the game? Less than three hours. The fug?

I wouldn't put much stake in the time counter of a Platinum Games to be honest, either. Although who knows how MGR handles it.

Huh, I never saw that someone actually timed themselves on the counter.

Unless the person who snapped the picture is ungodly slow, which is totally possible given those deaths, I would hazard to guess that MGR might round off to be about a solid 8 hour experience if the Vanquish counter is anything to go by.

spekkeh

Banned
The title had development problems, and it's not surprising to see a game arguably starved for content length, given Konami probably wanted it out sooner rather than later.
It's an action brawler, which already emphasises replay to master score and encounters, and focuses more on keeping encounters interesting and frequent.
It has several unlockable weapons and skills, plus NG+. If you're playing it once you're doing it wrong.

I like long games as much as anybody, but value is in the content I experience, not the content I didn't.

I'm okay with a game lasting three hours if it's three hours of fucking awesome. I'm not okay with a game that lasts eight hours, of which three are fucking awesome and five are filler, as is usual with games sadly.

jett

D-Member
PG should remove that "no damage" score bonus in encounters, if only for my actual mental health. Getting 6000 points in some of the encounters in the demo is just bullshit. It's just so fucking cheap. Thank you you piece of shit soldier for shooting me from miles off screen with your fucking machine gun while I try to this little blade mode combo here, shaving 0.1% from my health and denying me the bonus. And thanks to whoever designed the garbage auto lock on in this game, I totally wanted to hit those enemies that are 10 miles away from me instead of this fucking Gekko standing besides me. GodfuckingDAMNIT. And let's not forget that because of the strict time bonuses and the limb bonuses you need the enemies to attack in a precise pattern when combat starts otherwise you're fucked. Yes, cocksuckers, keep on endlessly throwing grenades instead of attacking me so I can parry your ass. In terms of score attack this game is fucking fucked as far as I'm concerned.

Pie and Beans

Its clearly a wind based weapon I think, especially with the extending arms like a whip. Its not 1:1 to whats on screen, but its the clear area attack weapon of choice.

Robot Pants

There are, as several gameplay trailers and the demo indicated.

Really needs to be instrumental only.
Because Dark Skies instrumental is amazing, while Dark Skies Vocal is God awful.

Really, the instrumental versions on the whole soundtrack are perfect, but the vocals ruin everything.

Pie and Beans

Really needs to be instrumental only.
Because Dark Skies instrumental is amazing, while Dark Skies Vocal is God awful.

Vocals kicking in at climax points of battles is masterstroke stuff I feel. Makes moments feel inordinately more exciting due to it.

Stains of Time, I'm My Own Master Now, A Stranger I Remain, Rules of Nature and Collective Consciousness are all better with vocals, IMO, while Red Sun, Dark Skies, It Has To Be This Way and The Only Thing I Know For Real are better instrumental. Vocals definitely improve some songs, though.

deim0s

On that preview page, keep pressing forward it'll play the instrumental songs or click the "Voir toutes les pistes (29)" button.

Top Bottom