• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

jett

D-Member
vWPPdQ9.png

After playing the demo several times I know that I'll never get this one. I'll never get this.

black-wrestler-gif-smiling.gif

If this is a retail copy then goddamn, they still haven't fixed
MG Ray's
animations.

He just snaps into position after Raiden
catches the blade
. I love you Platinum but how could nobody not notice that?

I never noticed that lol, that does definitely look a little weird.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Super hyped. Just wish this didn't release & ship so close to a bunch of midterms...

Lol it's actually pretty perfect for me. Will be finished with exams week for the foreseeable future.

I'm actually getting ahead on alot of projects just so I don't have much to do besides showing up for class for the next week or two.

First part of the prologue got posted on youtube. Mostly just a cutscene and the
Metal Gear Ray
fight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwjqWzWM9RM

It's probably going to encompass his first encounter with Desperado

Which will include the ambush while guarding that one African Prime Minister conclude with his assassination and Raiden's defeat in failure to recover him

It's looking to be a fairly lengthy prologue chapter. Probably the Ray and unwinnable Sam encounter and whatever they decide to fill the gap between the two with.

TreIII

vWPPdQ9.png

After playing the demo several times I know that I'll never get this one. I'll never get this.

...Shit. I've S-Ranked a few of the Rockman Zero games in my day, but this looks to be an entirely different beast! :lol

Ah well. Can't wait til my JP LE comes in so I can tear into this game.

Subscribe to Saur's yt channel. He wrote the Bayonetta guide and did some anarchy reigns stuff.

Subbed. Thanks. ^.^

I'd like to think one day I'll accomplish that goal, but I doubt it. The highest I ever got on any section of the demo was a B(not counting where you get an S for saving the civilian).

I really need a gif of the dude from family guy saying "There's no way..." since that was my first thought after seeing that was an achievement.

jett

D-Member

When Metal Gear Solid: Rising fell into the hands of Platinum Games, director Kenji Saito chucked most of its original ideas in the trash. Saito killed Kojima Productions’ original script. He aborted all of the complete boss concepts. He left behind the finalized level designs, came up with his own new direction for the music, and abandoned gameplay concepts.

“We use those for motion capture,” he explains, so his animators can improvise and implement movements on the fly without leaving their work space. This is the only team separated from the rest of Platinum Games. “One of the reasons this area is away from the core team is that this team makes the cutscenes for all of our games,” Saito explains, “They work on everything. What we've found is that by having them work on everything and stay in their one discipline all the time, we're able to up the quality of the cutscenes we produce.”

Can we finally stop the bullshit that this isn't a PG game through and through? Enough about KojiPro having handled the cutscenes and PG only the gameplay.

Can we finally stop the bullshit that this isn't a PG game through and through? Is there anyone that still believes the plot is all KP and PG only handled the gameplay?

That... kind of makes me think that the Kojima Productions team working on Rising probably don't like him very much, but I guess it is their fault that it shifted to Platinum.

Anyways, has anyone who has seen all of the trailers (I've been on a bit of a blackout) heard this piece of music anywhere in them? It's Raiden's theme in PlayStation All Stars that plays during the intro and outro in Arcade mode (as well as when you activate his level 3 super):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjowmP7J-IA

It may have simply been made for PlayStation All Stars, but it is so good.

winstano

Got the "party pack" through, 10 logo t shirts, 1 Raiden silhouette T shirt, 6 3D posters, a ton of wristbands, a ton of Metal Gear Rising balloons(!), and to top it all, some really snazzy Kojima Productions pin badges, and one of those cool "Cut at Will" promo sheets... (Along with a "terms and conditions of you receiving this pack" thing)

jett

D-Member
That... kind of makes me think that the Kojima Productions team working on Rising probably don't like him very much, but I guess it is their fault that it shifted to Platinum.

Anyways, has anyone who has seen all of the trailers (I've been on a bit of a blackout) heard this piece of music anywhere in them? It's Raiden's theme in PlayStation All Stars that plays during the intro and outro in Arcade mode (as well as when you activate his level 3 super):

It's some sort of pseudo-approximation of the MGS2 theme. I doubt it's from MGR.

mattp

i just listened to that song and god DAMMIT
this is pretty obviously supposed to sound like the mgs theme that fucking kojima won't let anyone use anymore

i just listened to that song and god DAMMIT
this is pretty obviously supposed to sound like the mgs theme that fucking kojima won't let anyone use anymore

That issue seems to be a lot more complicated than that. With that said, the MGS theme is basically dead at this point.

mattp

That issue seems to be a lot more complicated than that. With that said, the MGS theme is basically dead at this point.

since kojima still has yet to really directly address it, i've always been under the impression kojima was ashamed that the song was plagiarized under his nose without knowing. so when he found out, he just stopped using it even though he could probaby just license the original or work out some sort of agreement with whoever owns the rights it

Inaba said:
We have a had a very limited amount of time to create something for a specific deadline. In order to make this game within our allotted time our studios had to make a few sacrifices. If we were to work with Kojima studios in the future, We would like a little more time to show the things that platinum excels at

I know we all speculated this but its nice to see it confirmed. Rising is a low-budget title made to an extremely tight deadline that probably still will compete with the best in the genre. This game while amazing, still isn't the best platinum can do.

Its actually aslo a bit funny to find out that Director Saito is that guy how looked like he had his hair cut by Raiden in the original kojima video. Fitting somehow.

since kojima still has yet to really directly address it, i've always been under the impression kojima was ashamed that the song was plagiarized under his nose without knowing. so when he found out, he just stopped using it even though he could probaby just license the original or work out some sort of agreement with whoever owns the rights it

Hibino has said that Konami is the one that doesn't want it to be used anymore. I do wish that they'd work out whatever issues there are, but it seems unlikely. I think that they would've done what was needed to get it back for MGS4 if they were planning on ever using it again.

Akainu

Can we finally stop the bullshit that this isn't a PG game through and through? Enough about KojiPro having handled the cutscenes and PG only the gameplay.
I thought that was evident from the beginning. I think I've been saying it for the longest.

They were useless fools that couldn't make good when left to their own devices. I would have fired them. So who cares about their feels.

NotLiquid

So the cinematics aren't KojiPro? Could have fooled me.

Then again, Anarchy Reigns had some really awesome cinematics. Kind of an underrated thing about that game I really loved, Platinum are pretty good with that stuff.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

I don't know who said that. The cutscenes were always obviously cut from the same cloth as the cinematics for Vanquish and Anarchy.

All I've ever said on the matter is that the people on the KojiPro side are still in charge of the script and the story, which still seems to be the case.

I don't see how abandoning boss concepts and scrapping completed levels is proof otherwise

They were useless fools that couldn't make good when left to their own devices. I would have fired them. So who cares about their feels.

That has nothing to do with the writers and artists. They seemed to have fulfilled their role and had their work scrapped.

Even so, I think I prefer what we got over what we lost if the rumors are to be believed. (Volgin involved in the scenario. Bosses being something like stealth puzzles. zzzzzz)

Salih

one of the rare moments where i actually pre-order a videogame.
For me this could be very well one of the last and best games of this generation.

100BP for each limb. Head gives you nothing. The easiest and quickest way to get the BP points is to zandatsu someone after a parry. Slo-mo will be even slower, making the process easier. First you cut off the legs, slightly above the knee. After that the solider contorts in a way that makes it really easy to cut off his left arm, slightly below the shoulder, around a white emblem on their jacket. Getting the right arm too is almost impossible so forget about it. Unfortunately I haven't found a sure-fire way to get BP points without waiting for a solider to attack you.

Right right, I'm mistakenly using zandatsu for entire blade mode process. :p

Head gives you 100 BP points, maybe not in the demo, but I'm sure I saw footage that shows how it gives you BP.

Robot Pants

So the script was scrapped, but this game is 100% cannon. Platinum didn't rewrite the script did they? KojiPro wrote a new one right?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
So the script was scrapped, but this game is 100% cannon. Platinum didn't rewrite the script did they? KojiPro wrote a new one right?

Etsu Tamari is the lead writer on both iterations of the project

He's also credited as a writer on MGS4 and Peace Walker, although I'm not sure to what capacity he was involved in the scripts of those games

TreIII

I know we all speculated this but its nice to see it confirmed. Rising is a low-budget title made to an extremely tight deadline that probably still will compete with the best in the genre. This game while amazing, still isn't the best platinum can do.

In the end, the fact that it was made on a cheaper budget is likely to its credit. And as long as Konami's expectations are reasonable, that's all the more reason to hope that Saito and P* may yet get another shot to really showcase what they can go do, someday.

Sowee

Banned
Just played the demo and all I can do is wait to get my hands on some money and buy this beauty. I'll regret that when i'm in the middle of the game, i know it. hahaha

I played the demo and loved it!
I would like to get the game but I've never played a MGS game before (and would like to play MGS 3 sometime...) is this game for me?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
After seeing a gif from it posted in this thread I decided to rewatch the reveal trailer from two years ago.

Kinda cool to watch something we were shown knowing nothing about it now, knowing just about everything about it.

Also neat to see just how early and rough what we were shown at the VGAs really was. I wonder if the scenario had even been finalized at that time.(Black Raiden present in sections we know MGS4 Raiden plays through, such as meeting Sam for the first time and fighting him on the train)

The story was tailor made to fit Platinum's game design philosophy but the story is still cannon and written by Kojima Productions

http://www.edge-online.com/news/metal-gear-rising-kojipro-and-platinum-clash-all-time/
Pressed for specifics, Korekado tells of Etsu Tamari, the KojiPro staffer who is writing the game's story, and frequently found himself at loggerheads with the game director, Platinum's Kenji Saito. The solution, Korekado explains, was to lock the pair away until they sorted it out.

"We put them in a room for three continuous days, and they discussed from morning til night what the writer wanted to create for a story and what the game director wanted to create as a game," he tells us. "And after those three days, it seemed like they had been good friends for a very long time. So we sorted that."

Top Bottom