• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Akainu

The story was tailor made to fit Platinum's game design philosophy but the story is still cannon and written by Kojima Productions
Which is crap to me. Its konami writers writing for a platinum game. Which is how you get Sombrero Raiden.

Anyone know which trailer first showed sundowner? I swear he kept getting paler.

Which is crap to me. Its konami writers writing for a platinum game.

Anyone know which trailer first showed sundowner? I swear he kept getting paler.

depends what you want... Do you want a fast action game to slow a bit to explain it's story or do you want it to flow/match the pace of what you are playing

I'm fine with either, but I can understand why they would want to keep things moving, especially with all the people complaining about the length in KojiPro's cutscenes/story

EDIT: I thought everyone knew this. Koji couldnt handle it so they gave it to Platinum

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Which is crap to me. Its konami writers writing for a platinum game. Which is how you get Sombrero Raiden.

As opposed to pant-shitting sentai posing Johnny. Or burping cola addict with a pet monkey Drebin. Mount Snakemore. MGR is just too thematically different, mang!!!!!

Akainu

As opposed to pant-shitting sentai posing Johnny. Or burping cola addict with a pet monkey Drebin. MGR is just too thematically different, mang!!!!!
Johnny was a problem, Drebin was cool...ish. Though Johnny was a joke to begin with. They had to put him in 4 he was in every other one. Maybe he will be in this. Since this is *bites thumb* canon.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I wonder if Raiden is actually a descendant of Ivan Raidenovitch Raikov as well. Because he's also canon you see. Maybe this game will deal with... that.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Everything with Johnny in MGS4 was awful. So truly, unbelievably awful.

Ra1den

As opposed to pant-shitting sentai posing Johnny. Or burping cola addict with a pet monkey Drebin. Mount Snakemore. MGR is just too thematically different, mang!!!!!

You know, even that ridiculous stuff didn't bother me as much as Rising. They still felt like Metal Gear.

This is not the case for me with Rising. I have never even considered skipping cutscenes before in an MGS game, the cutscenes are my favorite part really. But damn, these Rising ones...I was embarrassed, even while playing alone. I was trying to skip those like a mofo. Pure cliche, and not in an amusing way.

RangerBAD

ehlxld.gif

I've got Monsoonnope.gif ready for naysayers.

Everything with Johnny in MGS4 was awful. So truly, unbelievably awful.

Should have left him shit-happy.

Pie and Beans

You know, even that ridiculous stuff didn't bother me as much as Rising. They still felt like Metal Gear.

This is not the case for me with Rising. I have never even considered skipping cutscenes before in an MGS game, the cutscenes are my favorite part really. But damn, these Rising ones...I was embarrassed, even while playing alone. I was trying to skip those like a mofo. Pure cliche, and not in an amusing way.

You've played the full game? Or are you referring to the demo's cutscenes. Which... I don't see how you could possibly find embarrassingly unbearable and non-metal gear. No-one cooked any eggs at all. And nobody shit their pants. Someone was shot out of an unmanned vehicle and landed in a slow motion crouching position. Which is Metal Gear cutscene fare incarnate.

RangerBAD

I sort of wish there was a non-lethal dart type, in MGS4, that made people shit their pants. It would have like Dr. Pepper in it or something.

Inaba said:
We have a had a very limited amount of time to create something for a specific deadline. In order to make this game within our allotted time our studios had to make a few sacrifices. If we were to work with Kojima studios in the future, We would like a little more time to show the things that platinum excels at

I know we all speculated this but its nice to see it confirmed. Rising is a low-budget title made to an extremely tight deadline that probably still will compete with the best in the genre. This game while amazing, still isn't the best platinum can do.

Its actually aslo a bit funny to find out that Director Saito is that guy how looked like he had his hair cut by Raiden in the original kojima video. Fitting somehow.

I wonder what had to be sacrificed? :(

Ra1den

You've played the full game? Or are you referring to the demo's cutscenes. Which... I don't see how you could possibly find embarrassingly unbearable and non-metal gear. No-one cooked any eggs at all. And nobody shit their pants. Someone was shot out of an unmanned vehicle and landed in a slow motion crouching position. Which is Metal Gear cutscene fare incarnate.

I've just played the demo. I should have been more specific...my problem with the cutscenes in Rising is the dialogue. I found it virtually unbearable. MGS4 had some nearly unbearable dialogue, but plenty of good to make up for it, along with fantastic scene direction which softened the blow. Rising doesn't seem to have those benefits. Here's hoping the final game surprises me.

For an example, the ending bits of dialogue as the demo ends, the stuff about freedom by that A.I. I could not write something more cliche if I tried.

When Metal Gear Solid: Rising fell into the hands of Platinum Games, director Kenji Saito chucked most of its original ideas in the trash. Saito killed Kojima Productions’ original script. He aborted all of the complete boss concepts. He left behind the finalized level designs, came up with his own new direction for the music, and abandoned gameplay concepts.

Can we finally stop the bullshit that this isn't a PG game through and through? Enough about KojiPro having handled the cutscenes and PG only the gameplay.

Here's what I dont understand about that, the basic gameplay concepts and mechanics LOOK THE SAME.

In the "behind the scenes at Platnium Games" video, they showed the Rising E3 2010 trailer and I was supprised how similar it looked. The slicing and dicing, and how you control the precise slicing with the right anolog stick was exactly the same!

Pie and Beans

I mean I love MGS because its wacky and cheesey and cliche and has been all along. I guess it just took some imagined difference in tone with a different developer at the helm for everyone else to notice too, but there we go.

For an example, the ending bits of dialogue as the demo ends, the stuff about freedom by that A.I. I could not write something more cliche if I tried.

You didn't played PW I see.

The way I see it is that MGR is a cheesy hollywood action movie from the 80's.

MGS series became a recent action movie, one of those that tries to be something more than an action movie, but in the end is just another stupid cheesy action movie.

Gbraga

Man, I had a good laugh with the pre and post boss fight dialogues, was that supposed to be serious?

The "Really? So what is the meaning of life, why are we here?" "I am here to kill you" was pure golden cheese.

Ra1den

Kojima can. And has done so. Repeatedly. For like, 8 games now.

That has not been my experience...even during Kojima's cliche scenes, like for instance, "love blossoming on the battlefield"...there was always some charm there, I never cringed. It was entertaining, even if a bit cheesy. That line at the end of the Rising demo was something else entirely. That was just cookie cutter stuff rolled off the cliche assembly line.

I must say though that Peace Walker, which I hardly think about when it comes to story stuff, had some terrible stuff in it. But that wasn't a scripting issue, that was a horrible plot issue. The script was excellent as always.

That has not been my experience...even during Kojima's cliche scenes, like for instance, "love blossoming on the battlefield"...there was always some charm there, I never cringed. It was entertaining, even if a bit cheesy. That line at the end of the Rising demo was something else entirely. That was just cookie cutter stuff rolled off the cliche assembly line.

Hmmm

Here's what I dont understand about that, the basic gameplay concepts and mechanics LOOK THE SAME.

In the "behind the scenes at Platnium Games" video, they showed the Rising E3 2010 trailer and I was supprised how similar it looked. The slicing and dicing, and how you control the precise slicing with the right anolog stick was exactly the same!

the final game is basically an extension of what they showed in that video

Koji Pro had other elements (stealth, different boss battles) but they didnt have a clear vision of how to make that into a complete game

Ra1den

Man, I had a good laugh with the pre and post boss fight dialogues, was that supposed to be serious?

The "Really? So what is the meaning of life, why are we here?" "I am here to kill you" was pure golden cheese.

I actually liked Raiden's "Whats the meaning of life?", that was amusing.

I mean I love MGS because its wacky and cheesey and cliche and has been all along. I guess it just took some imagined difference in tone with a different developer at the helm for everyone else to notice too, but there we go.

I also love the wacky stuff. I love the egg scenes in MGS4, for example. My problem with Rising is elsewhere.

I must say though that Peace Walker, which I hardly think about when it comes to story stuff, had some terrible stuff in it. But that wasn't a scripting issue, that was a horrible plot issue. The script was excellent as always.

It's still part of the same writing they have always done.

the charm aspect comes from the voice acting.
In Rising's case, it's Raiden's forced Batman voice, soooo, you either love it or hate it.

the final game is basically an extension of what they showed in that video

Koji Pro had other elements (stealth, different boss battles) but they didnt have a clear vision of how to make that into a complete game

There is a stealth aspect in the demo though(which may have been signifigantly pared back from Koji vision of it). This part from the IGN article make it seems like they changed everything though, when in fact the base mechanics seemed to remain intact(the way Raiden fights, his animations, slicing with right anoluge stick, slicing everything in the environment, ect).
When Metal Gear Solid: Rising fell into the hands of Platinum Games, director Kenji Saito chucked most of its original ideas in the trash. Saito killed Kojima Productions’ original script. He aborted all of the complete boss concepts. He left behind the finalized level designs, came up with his own new direction for the music, and abandoned gameplay concepts.

You never cringed with the Johnny and Meryl scene? With Otacon and Naomi scene? Sunny making eggs? or even I could name a few of the PW cutscenes....

The last missions on PW where....well, is when I realized that Kojima didn't cared anymore.

Only thing I (think?) I remember about Twin Snakes was this one scene where Snake saw a camera looking though a doorway, and he did a straight-up mothafuckin' cartwheel over the door to avoid detection.

I'm seriously not making this up(I hope!), this is a real thing that happen

Is real, but to be fair it that wasn't by Kojima and TS should be erased from the collective memory.

Only thing I (think?) I remember about Twin Snakes was this one scene where Snake saw a camera looking though a doorway, and he did a straight-up mothafuckin' cartwheel over the door to avoid detection.

tumblr_mdck3saHqf1qedvo5o1_250.gif

Yep. I can definitely see a clear divide between writing that is flawed/corny but still has charm and substance over writing with zero redeeming qualities. Context plays such a huge part of that too.

Also, fuck Twin Snakes.

Respawn

Banned
So much crying. Here's my cup and welcome once again to Metal Gear. Hopefully the thread doesn't stay on 'why this dialogue' for 10 more pages.
Reserved at hell spot for the love of the fox.

Pie and Beans

Snake jumping missiles in Twin Snakes was a little too much as well. Okay for these enhanced Cyborg Ninja boyos, not so much a regular flesh and blood dude.

Robocop homages in Revengeance are already winning my "always some charm there" awards in cheese.

Top Bottom