• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Tizoc

My brother is getting his ass kicked by the final boss
Senator
any tips to dealing with the 'QTE' segments where you gotta do the Zandatsu slash?

Senator
any tips to dealing with the 'QTE' segments where you gotta do the Zandatsu slash?

Use the left stick to adjust the camera, and remember that you only have to cut through 3 of the 4 boxes.

Also if he wants to skip it altogether, he can Ninja Run beneath the initial piece of junk and wait for the boss to jump down.

Celegus

Senator

Just make sure you line up all the boxes, no trick to it really. It's easier to tell if you look for the crosshairs that show up in the boxes than trying to judge where the line is.

Tizoc

Thanks guys I'll let him know. The reason he chooses to do them is because he keeps taking damage ever so often.

qq more

I was gonna start on the Uncharted series, but I realized my MGR disc was left in the PS3.

Guess what I played instead :lol

I can't beat the final boss, and the worst part is, I don't want to beat the final boss.

I was really enjoying the game on hard up to this point, but my reflexes just can't handle his attacks, so I'm done with the game.

I hate that I can't change the difficulty mid-playthrough just so I can see the ending.

Edit: Nevermind I destroyed him... Was trying to be too aggressive.

Susurrus

Just played through on hard mode (first playthrough).

Spoiler(?) No names, just strategy-
Last boss left me frustrated and pissed, but I kept with it. I couldn't figure out those machine parts that got tossed, I knew what I was supposed to do but it just wasn't working for me. After failing repeatedly, I decided to ignore all the guides that pretty much tell you to hit and run, and just parry the crap out of him. Once I got that down, only had to run when he did the yellow stuff or was about to make an explosion of some sort. I dodge the stuff he threw since I couldn't cut it (heh). Walked in w/ 5 health items, finished w/ 2 remaining. Obviously I did the quick time events and the finishing stuff which is self explanatory.

Whut, no hard mode rewards? :( Oh well at least I had fun mostly.

RedSwirl

I just tried to start this game and it seems to take forever to download this 401MB patch. My timer was slowing down to around 600 minutes remaining (on PS3). How important is patching the game? And is there any easier way to do it? If not, is there a way to make the game stop asking me to patch after I've started playing?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Patching is just the VR missions, DLC 1/2 chapters. Not a big deal.

I think there was a day one "bug-fix" patch but as far as I know no one ran into any issues with 1.00/base game.

RedSwirl

Patching is just the VR missions, DLC 1/2 chapters. Not a big deal.

I think there was a day one "bug-fix" patch but as far as I know no one ran into any issues with 1.00/base game.

It's forcing an upgrade straight to 1.04. I tried it again but the download froze at 96% and had to start over. Now it's taking half an hour to an hour to download.

And is that DLC free?

Grisby

Beat this the other night after a friend generously let me borrow it. Damn fun game and I even got into the cheesy story a bit. The action was fun and slicing things into a million pieces never got old. After Bayonetta and Rising I'm convinced that Platinum has the best handle on 'set pieces' so to speak.

Camera though got me killed a bunch. So shitty and frustrating at times because the camera would suddenly swing behind me or focus on a wall for some reason. The manual slashing could have been better as well. I ended up running away form the final boss deals because I couldn't do the slash stuff for some reason.

Couple points:
-Raiden's VA is channeling his best Bale Batman voice. Not a good thing. I'd go so far as to say his voice acting was the lowest part of the game outside of that kid who needed translating (and even then I got used to him after a while).
-Had some good chuckle moments. I laughed pretty hard near the end when
both Raiden and Wolf activate their face plates at the same time in the ship.
-Zandatsu is pretty damn fun. Needed to get that out again.
-Game wasn't quite the looker but the framerate was nice.
-That last post sure liked to talk about the US eh? I know MGS has a lot of political babble but this guy's speech just felt like he was hitting me with a politics bat.
-On another note, I liked that a lot of MGS staples were here, such as the codec system as it was fun to chat from time to time.

Fun times. I wouldn't mind the crew coming back for another go.

Jintor

tumblr_mucauccqOs1qc334po1_500.jpg

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i don't think senators are supposed to look like that sir

JoeFenix

I want some news on the PC version! Either they have 2 programmers working on this on the side or they're putting some serious work into it.

I wonder if we'll get tweaks and changes to the actual gameplay, camera improvements would be really nice. Tweaks to Ripper Mode and to the way No Damage works would be even cooler.

Can't wait!

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I want some news on the PC version! Either they have 2 programmers working on this on the side or they're putting some serious work into it.

I wonder if we'll get tweaks and changes to the actual gameplay, camera improvements would be really nice. Tweaks to Ripper Mode and to the way No Damage works would be even cooler.

Can't wait!

Well Kojima tweeted off screen shots of it and it showed that the shadows don't look like crap anymore.

BVjxWh5CYAA8ciM.jpg

BVjwYyiCQAA1UN5.jpg

Did 8-4 ever talk about translating this? I need to know if amazing lines like "Nanomachines, son!" were in the original text.

I played the Japanese version, all the awesome lines (like NANOMACHINES SON, Go ninja go ninja go, etc) don't exist there. 8-4 did an amazing job localizing this game.

I beat the game twice today. Once on Easy and once on Very Hard. That's four times over the span of two weeks that I've had the game for.

This is definitely the best game of its kind that I've played. DMC3, DMC4, Ninja Gaiden 2 and Bayonetta pale in comparison, at least for me.

Just one question - what's the deal with the slashes I get in chapter ratings? Are those entirely stealthed sections or missed encounters or what? I'd like to start chasing higher ratings. The Fox Blade made getting S ranks in some sections on Very Hard quite easy. I was quite close to S ranking the whole Monsoon chapter.

And as a sidenote I've begun to really like the White Armor. I thought it looked a bit bad which is mainly why I haven't taken the Play-Arts fig out of the box but man has my opinion changed.

Is Revengeance a lot harder than Very Hard? I don't want to jump into it just yet. Have to play some other stuff and come back in fresh.

I beat the game twice today. Once on Easy and once on Very Hard. That's four times over the span of two weeks that I've had the game for.

This is definitely the best game of its kind that I've played. DMC3, DMC4, Ninja Gaiden 2 and Bayonetta pale in comparison, at least for me.

Just one question - what's the deal with the slashes I get in chapter ratings? Are those entirely stealthed sections or missed encounters or what? I'd like to start chasing higher ratings. The Fox Blade made getting S ranks in some sections on Very Hard quite easy. I was quite close to S ranking the whole Monsoon chapter.

And as a sidenote I've begun to really like the White Armor. I thought it looked a bit bad which is mainly why I haven't taken the Play-Arts fig out of the box but man has my opinion changed.

Is Revengeance a lot harder than Very Hard? I don't want to jump into it just yet. Have to play some other stuff and come back in fresh.

I've heard Revengance is slightly harder, but counters are more broken because of the amazing amount of damage they can do to even bosses. Very Hard seems like a more balanced higher difficulty, but I'm still giving Revengance a try later.

Revengeance is harder than Very Hard more of the time, but much easier to S-rank. Very Hard is the most fun difficulty, in my opinion, because while cheesing things with the god parry is rewarding it's also extremely one-dimensional.

BadWolf

Just finished another playthrough after a break and damn I love this game so very much. Definitely the best in its genre this gen.

To me it feels like the RE4 of actions games because of how up close the camera is, the great animation and the significance of aiming for specific body parts, where removing specific ones has definite effects on the enemy's behaviour. Sure Ninja Gaiden 2 has de-limbing but its more of a random factor there instead of the precision based affair it is in MGR.

Do you guys use the Sai's? I've been avoiding them because I heard they break the game because of how effective they are.

I've heard Revengance is slightly harder, but counters are more broken because of the amazing amount of damage they can do to even bosses. Very Hard seems like a more balanced higher difficulty, but I'm still giving Revengance a try later.

A couple of missions into Revengeane mode and the biggest difference is how freaking aggressive the enemies are, holy crap. Even the normal soldiers go all in.

You probably either didn't trigger a battle or completed an area via stealth (since there was no battle, you didn't get a ranking).

That doesn't mean you can't use stealth and still get an S rank though, watched a vid where the guy took out some enemies via stealth and then triggered a battle and still ended up with an S rank.

I haven't really bothered with any secondary weapons. Used Mistral's polearm for a while on my first playthrough but then I've just stuck to Fox Sword.

Is using the Fox Sword cheating though? Slashing through stuff like the Gekkos, Mastiffs, Fenrirs and Raptors with a single quick attack feels kind of cheap.

I ran through Normal today, trying to get as many achievements as I could. Collected all the data discs, left arms, civilian rescues, VR missions and men in boxes. Should have also went for Humanoid Dwarf Gekkos but I'm just stupid like that.

Might even try to go for the full gamerscore and buy the DLCs. Although I'm pretty sure I'll never be able to do the VR missions.

I haven't really bothered with any secondary weapons. Used Mistral's polearm for a while on my first playthrough but then I've just stuck to Fox Sword.

Is using the Fox Sword cheating though? Slashing through stuff like the Gekkos, Mastiffs, Fenrirs and Raptors with a single quick attack feels kind of cheap.

I ran through Normal today, trying to get as many achievements as I could. Collected all the data discs, left arms, civilian rescues, VR missions and men in boxes. Should have also went for Humanoid Dwarf Gekkos but I'm just stupid like that.

Might even try to go for the full gamerscore and buy the DLCs. Although I'm pretty sure I'll never be able to do the VR missions.

Most of the "special" swords and wigs are pretty much cheats. Fox Blade, Armor Breaker, Stun Blade, and infinite blade mode/infinite ammo wigs absolutely do break the game, but the game doesn't punish you for using it so technically it's still a valid way to play. I used Armor Breaker to S-rank the double GRADs in chapter 2 and infinite ammo to S-rank the lobby turret section, both of which were definitely possible without help but I didn't have the patience to do them "honestly".

Do you guys use the Sai's? I've been avoiding them because I heard they break the game because of how effective they are.

My next playthrough should involve Dystopia as my only secondary weapon. I wouldn't call it broken as of now. Advantageous maybe, but then I haven't used it in every scenario, so we'll see.

A couple of missions into Revengeane mode and the biggest difference is how freaking aggressive the enemies are, holy crap. Even the normal soldiers go all in.

If it's even more aggressive than Very Hard, I can't wait.

BadWolf

My next playthrough should involve Dystopia as my only secondary weapon. I wouldn't call it broken as of now. Advantageous maybe, but then I haven't used it in every scenario, so we'll see.

Tried it out for a mission and I could see how some think its overpowered, it stuns just about anything and recharges fast enough to do it over and over. Not to mention the ability to home in on an enemy instantly.

Also tried out the pincer blades and they are ridiculously powerful, even on Revengeance mode they soften up a heavy soldier with one swing or so.

If it's even more aggressive than Very Hard, I can't wait.

If that's what you are into then you will have a lot of fun on this mode. I remember reading somewhere that enemy attack rate jumps to between 200% and 300% in Very Hard compared to Normal. For Revengeance the attack rate is between 800% and 1000%.

Its an interesting take on things tbh when it comes to damage in Rev mode, in most action games they just boost your enemies in the harder difficulties but here they put both sides on equal footing where you both do ridiculous damage, its all about who gets who first. Pretty sure I made Blade Wolf cry.

1jsKy.png

Huh, well... that was not too hard. Getting a few perfect parries off on Mistral took a bunch of tries but the game is super generous at letting you try again and again.

I'm mostly afraid of Monsoon. If I remember right from the five times fighting him, then there's no checkpoints.
Also the double fight against Mistral and Monsoon, and then the Metal Gear and Senator will be a bunch of insanity.

Monsoon's pretty easy if you have the pincer's leveled up full. A charged attack will take about 20% off. I find him easier to no damage than Mistral. The lack of checkpoints are a bit annoying though.

1jsKy.png

Huh, well... that was not too hard. Getting a few perfect parries off on Mistral took a bunch of tries but the game is super generous at letting you try again and again.

I'm mostly afraid of Monsoon. If I remember right from the five times fighting him, then there's no checkpoints.
Also the double fight against Mistral and Monsoon, and then the Metal Gear and Senator will be a bunch of insanity.
Monsoon is pretty irritating to S-rank, I don't think I would've been able to stand it if the soundtrack wasn't so hype. He dodges back whenever you parry so you can't cheese him with the Revengeance parry, so you'll need to use the usual strategy against him. Him shooting out that sai during the transitional cutscene must've ruined atleast half a dozen otherwise perfect runs for me. I kept overthinking it and psyched myself out, because getting a perfect parry on that smooths the whole fight out a ton.

As for the double AI fight, when you run into the room with mistral, ripper mode and slide or stinger her to instantly break the staff, and then run around her til she tries to hit you with a dwarf gekko and parry it to do ~80% damage. Hit her a couple of times and the monsoon AI fight shouldn't be too bad if you don't corner yourself and freak out the camera.
Monsoon's pretty easy if you have the pincer's leveled up full. A charged attack will take about 20% off. I find him easier to no damage than Mistral. The lack of checkpoints are a bit annoying though.

Mistral's way easier because you can kill her in two parries and you don't actually need to fight the final phase which is the difficult one. If I remember correctly she'll reset back to 50% if you parry her in the first phase when you transition to the pipe, but she won't gain any health if you parry her during the second phase. Basically, if you parry her on the pipe you'll both fall into the fire pit and then she'll immediately initiate the QTE, so you don't have to worry about her spins messing with the camera or the random exploding barrels.

It's similar to how you can kill Sam in like under 30 seconds if you parry him twice and don't give him a chance to waste your time with the unarmed phase.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Monsoon is pretty irritating to S-rank, I don't think I would've been able to stand it if the soundtrack wasn't so hype. He dodges back whenever you parry so you can't cheese him with the Revengeance parry, so you'll need to use the usual strategy against him. Him shooting out that sai during the transitional cutscene must've ruined atleast half a dozen otherwise perfect runs for me. I kept overthinking it and psyched myself out, because getting a perfect parry on that smooths the whole fight out a ton.

You can

There's a method to stand at a position on the left wall where he'll not only give you that big jump move 8 out of 10 times, but when you counter hit the dive his back jump will get caught against the wall and he'll still get hit by the follow up.

Done at the start of the fight allows you to go straight to his first truck shooting gallery, bypassing the most annoying and random part of the encounter and removing the threat of his most annoying tool if your method is right. (Smoke grenades)

Thing annoying about Monsoon is that he has these seemingly hard locked HP thresholds. When you get him to a certain HP percentage he'll just...stop taking damage. It's time for the next minigame.

So there's no real strategy or method to beating him. It's purely an endurance test.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Finished this game yesterday, and it was just awesome!
That's only way I can describe it.
The gameplay is easy to use but hard to master, never too frustrating at normal.

It's been said hundreds of time, but jeesus, that soundtrack!

Only bad thing, I feel like they finished the budget halfway through the develpoment and/or they were on a super tight schedule. There are two chapter that last
5 minutes each, and then the last, which is two fights and the boss battle.
Sam was
so much hype, the boss fight is great, but I didn't really feel like I earned it. It just happens, you don't have to go through anything.

I tried to S-rank the first chapter on Hard, but I can't. :lol
I read that you have to get all S-ranks in one seat, and you can't use the "restart" function, right?

BadWolf

Finished this game yesterday, and it was just awesome!
That's only way I can describe it.
The gameplay is easy to use but hard to master, never too frustrating at normal.

It's been said hundreds of time, but jeesus, that soundtrack!

Only bad thing, I feel like they finished the budget halfway through the develpoment and/or they were on a super tight schedule. There are two chapter that last
5 minutes each, and then the last, which is two fights and the boss battle.
Sam was
so much hype, the boss fight is great, but I didn't really feel like I earned it. It just happens, you don't have to go through anything.

I tried to S-rank the first chapter on Hard, but I can't. :lol
I read that you have to get all S-ranks in one seat, and you can't use the "restart" function, right?

Yeah Platinum Games was on extremely tight schedule with the game.

As for S ranks you don't have to get S in all battles in a chapter in one sitting. From what i understand, if you do Chapter 2 for example and get SSSSAAAA then if you retry the chapter and get SSAASSSA then the S ranks you received previously will remain but the new one's will overwrite the A ranks you received before.

If you manually restart a battle, without dying first, then you can keep retrying for that S rank. Time is one of the requirements for getting an S rank and by retrying after death the time counter basically continues going so that's why you can't restart that way.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Yeah Platinum Games was on extremely tight schedule with the game.

As for S ranks you don't have to get S in all battles in a chapter in one sitting. From what i understand, if you do Chapter 2 for example and get SSSSAAAA then if you retry the chapter and get SSAASSSA then the S ranks you received previously will remain but the new one's will overwrite the A ranks you received before.

If you manually restart a battle, without dying first, then you can keep retrying for that S rank. Time is one of the requirements for getting an S rank and by retrying after death the time counter basically continues going so that's why you can't restart that way.

That makes it more doable.
So when I get to the result screen I'll see the highest rank I've got or the rank I got in the playthrough?

Is there a way to replay a boss battle without replaying the whole level?

BadWolf

Whoa, dodge offset makes the pincer blades even more deadly.

You can basically get access to a level 2, 3 or 4 charge within seconds. No need to do all those swings that take forever.

That makes it more doable.
So when I get to the result screen I'll see the highest rank I've got or the rank I got in the playthrough?

Is there a way to replay a boss battle without replaying the whole level?

Iirc at the result screen after a mission you get the results for that mission, you can then go into chapter select and check your overall results there.

Don't think so, you can't replay specific parts of a chapter. You can make separate saves for each boss if you like though and just practice that way.

Whoa, dodge offset makes the pincer blades even more deadly.

You can basically get access to a level 2, 3 or 4 charge within seconds. No need to do all those swings that take forever.

Iirc at the result screen after a mission you get the results for that mission, you can then go into chapter select and check your overall results there.

Don't think so, you can't replay specific parts of a chapter. You can make separate saves for each boss if you like though and just practice that way.

There wouldn't be a reason to not use pincer blades against anything besides GRADs and flyers if it didn't auto-kill so easily and rob you of zandatsu. Stunning everything when charged and AOE armor-breaking is amazingly useful. You can also cancel the charging phase into a parry so it's very low-risk as well.

Downloaded this from PS+ and started it today. Having an annoying problem with the voices during cut scenes. They're really low, like, almost inaudibly low. Subtitles are a must to hear what's being said. The sound effects and music are fine, but they're drowning out the voices as a result. During gameplay everything's fine, though. Anyone else run into this issue?

Downloaded this from PS+ and started it today. Having an annoying problem with the voices during cut scenes. They're really low, like, almost inaudibly low. Subtitles are a must to hear what's being said. The sound effects and music are fine, but they're drowning out the voices as a result. During gameplay everything's fine, though. Anyone else run into this issue?

I have this exactly same problem with Vanquish. Simply can't hear anything that's said during cutscenes.

I've started calling it the Platinum bug. Oddly enough MGR is fine for me.

BadWolf

Just finished Revengeance difficulty, that was actually really fun.

Finished the game twice in the past week, and now I want to replay it again lol. Only other action game I've done this with is God Hand.

There wouldn't be a reason to not use pincer blades against anything besides GRADs and flyers if it didn't auto-kill so easily and rob you of zandatsu. Stunning everything when charged and AOE armor-breaking is amazingly useful. You can also cancel the charging phase into a parry so it's very low-risk as well.

Thanks, didn't know you can parry during charge.

They are probably some of my fave heavy weapons in any game, you know a weapon hits hard when a cyborg has to do a freaking bridge with his body to make a swing.

Know what you mean about the killing thing, once I found out about this dodge offset for pincers I tried it out on a crowd of enemies and all I could hear was "what the fuck?, "my legs!". Luckily I don't care about rank and just play for fun so can enjoy all the weapons and stealth no problem.

Also, in case someone finds it useful, you can end the first phase of the Armstrong fight on Revengeance mode with a single level 1 charged attack from fully upgraded pincer blades. I was charging the attack and he did the yellow charging tackle. Released before he got to me and it was over.

Odd, maybe its a digital download thing?

I have this exactly same problem with Vanquish. Simply can't hear anything that's said during cutscenes.

I've started calling it the Platinum bug. Oddly enough MGR is fine for me.

Turns out I had to untick the 5.1 option in the PS3's sound menu and that sorted it. Strange, seeing that I've never adjusted those options before and never had a problem with any other game.

Anyway, this game is FUCKING AWESOME. I originally shat on it when I played the demo way back whenever it was released, but after I got used to the parry system it all clicked. Just stopped playing before the boss of the 4th chapter and I think I'm coming towards the end. Seems to be a short game! Based on how the story is gong, anyway. I hope I'm wrong.

It does have some problems, though. The camera, Jesus fuck. I didn't think it could get worse than the vanilla Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox but this does it. It's almost bad on purpose. Thankfully it hasn't gotten in the way too much. And the environments are so barren and grey, I wish there was more to do, find and explore.

However, the combat, all that really matters I suppose, is fucking sublime. A question; is this the same voice actor for Raiden as MGS2 and 4? I don't remember him channeling Christian Bale's Batman so much in those games. So much growling (not a bad thing).

Can someone explain Raiden's jaw to me? In the epilogue he has what appears to be a fully human head but then after the battle where he gets his eye cut it's like the metal one he had in MGS4. I don't get it. Come to think of it, didn't he get a human body at the end of MGS4? I'm not the biggest fan of the series but I swear I remember some awful scene with his wife and kid.

Guess Who

Banned
Can someone explain Raiden's jaw to me? In the epilogue he has what appears to be a fully human head but then after the battle where he gets his eye cut it's like the metal one he had in MGS4. I don't get it. Come to think of it, didn't he get a human body at the end of MGS4? I'm not the biggest fan of the series but I swear I remember some awful scene with his wife and kid.

Everything from Raiden's lower jaw downward is mechanical. This is why you see a seam there in the intro cutscene. At the end of MGS4 he was simply given a robotic body that was more humanoid, but not actually human.

Top Bottom