• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Arkanius

Guys, why can't I counter some attacks that have the red eye effect?
Is the game lying to me?

Why can I sometimes defend yellow attacks, despite them being unblockable?
What is the meaning of life?

Why is Bladewolf so awesome?

Curufinwe

Is any of the armor worth buying? I have a $1 in my MS account and could add a few extra bucks thru Bing Rewards.

The white armor with extra health sounds useful.

lyonhardt

You sure you're looking at play time and not complete time at the end? Lots of reviewers does that mistake.
In the stat screen right at the end I had around 4 hours and 15 minutes. On hard difficulty it was just under 3 hours.

Starting Very Hard soon.

Edit: What the fucking shit. Died in the second encounter.

Edit 2: Welp, I'm at my first choking point in the game; the GRADx2 boss battle at the end of R02. I'm going to call it a night. Very Hard is really intense, not sure how I'm supposed to deal with multiple enemies attacking from all directions at once. Relying on Ripper Mode a LOT.

trulsnes

Neo Member
In the stat screen right at the end I had around 4 hours and 15 minutes. On hard difficulty it was just under 3 hours.

Exactly. That's clear time. It's you best time and doesn't include time spent on loading, watching cutscenes etc. and every time you die or restart, the counter is reset to the last checkpoint. The save selection screen shows total play time.

BadWolf

Edit 2: Welp, I'm at my first choking point in the game; the GRADx2 boss battle at the end of R02. I'm going to call it a night. Very Hard is really intense, not sure how I'm supposed to deal with multiple enemies attacking from all directions at once. Relying on Ripper Mode a LOT.

Make sure to use the boss weapons as well if you are having trouble.

The sai own GRADS.

The pole arm's jumping dive attack is great for crowd control and overall has a good stun ability.

Arkanius

Guys, just finished my run on Hard. Fantastic game, loved every second of it.
Starting on Very Hard now and with the Bladewolf DLC to start.

The heck, I instantly die against those black monkey enemies in the VR simulation of the city. Even on Hard and with Raiden I had difficulty against them, since they are always doing the unblockable yellow grab and one rarely has space to fight them.

Tips?

kiyomi

Played a bit more of this this morning, courtesy of based EU PS+.

Having some difficulty with the GRAD, playing on normal. Any general tips?

I just went back and looked at some reviews and gameplay videos and it's crazy how many people just don't do a Zandatsu when prompted. Like they'd stealth kill a guy and just let it sit for two seconds or however long the Zandatsu prompt stays up. Same thing with the GRAD executions when you have two Zandatsu prompts. I mean, sure, the game isn't the best at communicating some of its mechanics but that one is fairly obvious.

Played a bit more of this this morning, courtesy of based EU PS+.

Having some difficulty with the GRAD, playing on normal. Any general tips?

Make sure to block its physical attacks. As they are rather slow and telegraphed a mile away then you might even want to try perfect parrying them. If you're at range and it shoots missiles then ninja run + light attacking them will get rid of them.

On Very Hard there'll be two GRADs in that fight.

BadWolf

Hope you guys are using Defensive Offensive, it has a lot of invincibility frames and acts as a dodge offset (like in Bayonetta) so you can continue your combo chain after it, instead of starting from beginning like you would in most other action games. Also don't forget to use Blade Mode cancel to quickly cancel the animation of just about any move and go into neutral (so you can easily cancel the recovery of any move).

You can just dodge the GRAD's attacks with Defensive Offensive and continue attacking. Stay right under it at all times and keep hitting and dodging when needed.

For the monkey guys I find that the pole arm works well but the fastest way to take them down is to parry them. When they do an attack that is yellow and unblockable then just Defensive Offensive out of the way and continue attacking.

As for Gekko's, there is really no point in parrying them for the most part because they like to jump away after you parry so you won"t hit them with the parry attack anyway (unless they are cornered and can't jump away). The only move worth parrying is the one where it charges you from a distance like a bull. Its easy to intercept and opens them up. Other than baiting that I just run around them dodging their attacks and waiting for them to try and stomp me (where its leg kind of gets stuck for a moment). While its in that recovery animation just run up and hit the action button for a Zandatsu finisher. So either bait the stomp or the bull charge move and you will take them out in no time.

TnK

Why is Bladewolf so awesome?
Because its TIME TO LEAVE THEM ALL BEHIIIIND.
Guys, just finished my run on Hard. Fantastic game, loved every second of it.
Starting on Very Hard now and with the Bladewolf DLC to start.

The heck, I instantly die against those black monkey enemies in the VR simulation of the city. Even on Hard and with Raiden I had difficulty against them, since they are always doing the unblockable yellow grab and one rarely has space to fight them.

Tips?
I don't recommend starting very hard on DLC characters, since they operate differently, and have their own basics to learn. Also for blade wolf, almost all encounters can be finished in stealth, unless the enemy directly attacks you before the battle or area starts, if not, they can all be killed with stealth.

GRADs:
If you have the sai, it's easy. Otherwise, just parry his attacks. GRADs may be difficult because all their attacks are so lengthy that it becomes apparent how arbitrary the parry timings are. You can't parry immediately after it turns orange but also not instantly before the attack hits you, the sweet spot is somewhere in between. Also, dodge slash to kill the homing missiles, you still get the rations so there's no need to go into blade mode (this is necessary for no-damage runs).

Gekkos:
Dodge the overhead stomp and its feet will get stuck in the ground, letting you attack it freely. It'll jump back if you parry every attack except the jumping stomp, so there's no point. You can dodge everything and keep attacking til it's stunned, or jump in the air and air parry everything which doesn't make it jump back if I remember correctly, but the more consistent method is to run away until it decides to charge, and if you properly complete the QTE it's pretty much a guaranteed kill.

Mastiffs (gorillas):
The best way is to run til you aggro it, and make it chase you in order to make him dropkick. It's the easiest attack to parry counter and there's a lower risk of getting grabbed or cannoned. It might decide to be an asshole and do the walldive, but just stay calm. As long as you know where it's coming from, you're going to be fine. That attack has one of the more generous parry windows in the game, I think. If you're really frustrated do ripper mode pole arm, pincers, or armor breaker.

lyonhardt

Exactly. That's clear time. It's you best time and doesn't include time spent on loading, watching cutscenes etc. and every time you die or restart, the counter is reset to the last checkpoint. The save selection screen shows total play time.
Oh okay, I didn't realise that.
The sai own GRADS.
Thanks for that tip, the Sai's stun ability was the only reason I finally beat him - but it was still insanely hard, probably the second most difficult boss next to Armstrong for me. Speaking of which, Armstrong is probably one of my favourite boss battles in recent memory.

Really did enjoy Very Hard difficulty. There was an intensity that just wasn't present before, it made the experience very rewarding. Although the game does quite a lot to help you out; carrying over upgrades, gear, no penalties for using items. How does Revengeance mode compare?

Also, I checked the PSN Store and it looks like the AU region doesn't have any free DLC :(

BadWolf

Really did enjoy Very Hard difficulty. There was an intensity that just wasn't present before, it made the experience very rewarding. Although the game does quite a lot to help you out; carrying over upgrades, gear, no penalties for using items. How does Revengeance mode compare?

Glad you enjoyed it.

In Revengeance mode there are more enemies, they have more health (which doesn't really matter since your weapons are powered up in NG+) and are extremely aggressive in their attacking.

The biggest difference however is the damage, not only do you take more but your parry follow up attack does insane damage (even against bosses), which is refreshing since in other games only the enemies usually gets boosts in harder difficulties. So parrying becomes more important than ever.

BadWolf

When do I get to buy dodge? I'm just past the boss battle with LQ48i.

Right away I think?

Just go into the customization and buy Defensive Offensive.

It is performed by hitting Square+X.

If you hold a direction while doing it then you will dodge there.

Also, keep in mind that you can parry during the dodge animation.

Darksim

I actually think Very Hard is better than Revengeance, which turns the game into perfect parry > win.

Also, does Revengeance actually add more enemies? I recall it being the same as very hard, I also didn't notice any increase in health, which obviously doesn't matter either way since perfect parries do like 5x the damage or something like that.

The parry (and QTE damage, dunno why they did that) turns S ranking a couple of bosses into a joke compared to their Very Hard versions. (Sam, Armstrong)

I actually think Very Hard is better than Revengeance, which turns the game into perfect parry > win.

Also, does Revengeance actually add more enemies? I recall it being the same as very hard, I also didn't notice any increase in health, which obviously doesn't matter either way since perfect parries do like 5x the damage or something like that.

The parry (and QTE damage, dunno why they did that) turns S ranking a couple of bosses into a joke compared to their Very Hard versions. (Sam, Armstrong)

Very Hard is more fun and harder to S-rank. Revengeance is more challenging to complete, but not that much more difficult to S-rank because the parry buff is so massive. Strangely enough it's the best difficulty to use to get the boss achievements because bladewolf/mistral/sam/senator can be gimmicked with the increased parry damage.

As far as I know stuff hits harder in Revengeance and there might be AI tweaks, but the encounter setups are the same as Very Hard.

BadWolf

As far as I know stuff hits harder in Revengeance and there might be AI tweaks, but the encounter setups are the same as Very Hard.

There is a health and aggression boost for sure. Health boost doesn't matter since you are powerful as heck if you max out.

Maybe the enemies felt more numerous to me because I wasn't using ripper mode in Revengeance? My L3 is busted so couldn't activate when playing through it.

What are the requirements for S ranking the Sam fight on Revengeance?

I took no damage, pulled off a perfect parry and it took 2 minutes and 3 seconds until it was over. At least give me an A for effort, man.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

I took no damage, pulled off a perfect parry and it took 2 minutes and 3 seconds until it was over. At least give me an A for effort, man.

Need combo or BP bonus

Either find the nanopastes in the crates on the stage and pick those up with max nanopastes for BP credits, or equip infinite blade mode wig, and during the sequence where you have to slice his sword out of his hand to fight him barehanded, just cut his body instead for a 50 hit combo to max score

tl;dr ranking is garbage in this game so you have to do tedious and arbitrary things to get the S

This is true. Easy normal and hard all share encounter setups while very hard and revengeance also share.

only things that really change in between within those two tiers is enemy endurance, enemy damage and attack frequency.(I wouldn't call this A.I.)

If you hit him with a perfect parry and kill him really fast, you can kill him before he drops his sword and wastes your time trying to sasuke punch you. Or, you can hit him with a perfect parry, activate ripper mode, and go into blade mode to do add an extra 30 hits to your combo (blade mode lasts longer in ripper mode, strangely enough). The blade mode strat works to add combo points for Excelsus and Senator too.

Trying to get the rations lying around the stage for BP is a shitty strat because of how awful the camera is.

Will keep those tips in mind for Sam, thanks.

Managed to S-rank Monsoon's chapter. I got that fight down to a science by the time I was done, sheesh. And that slow walk section before the fight is utter bullshit.

And now I see that S-ranking the second fight in chapter 4 is a nightmare. What was Platinum thinking?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
And now I see that S-ranking the second fight in chapter 4 is a nightmare. What was Platinum thinking?

Who knows. Good luck.

Chapter 4 is probably the most annoying in general. Tons of shitty encounters.

Just remember to use your tools. Smoke grenades nerf every fight significantly and armor breaker can also help a lot.

It's all downhill after this one. (Unless you didn't do the vr missions yet)

I didn't use any cheat wigs/not standard weapons except for the infinite ammo one for that specific fight. It is nonsense.

That fight was just inexplicably stupid because of that invisible wall they put between the stairs and the lobby. Being able to ride out and meet them would've still been frustrating because of the enemy composition but it would atleast not have been unbelievably dull.

Curufinwe

I was so annoyed by the geckos but now I've done the first three chapters and am really enjoying myself. Once you start buying upgrades Normal loses a lot of challenge but that's OK because I plan on beating it on Hard and trying Very Hard after that. VR Mission #7 was kicking my ass so I checked the guide and it said the enemies were on Very Hard and recommended using the pincher weapon so I stopped.

All the complains about length are funny to me because between the different difficulties and the VR challenges I will easily play this game for 30 hours.

BadWolf

I was so annoyed by the geckos but now I've done the first three chapters and am really enjoying myself. Once you start buying upgrades Normal loses a lot of challenge but that's OK because I plan on beating it on Hard and trying Very Hard after that. VR Mission #7 was kicking my ass so I checked the guide and it said the enemies were on Very Hard and recommended using the pincher weapon so I stopped.

All the complains about length are funny to me because between the different difficulties and the VR challenges I will easily play this game for 30 hours.

Yup, length complaints for games like MGR, Vanquish etc. are pointless considering how fun and replayable they are.

I would not have bought this game had I known about this fucking garbage.

I think I have to throw up. I need to strangle somebody. This is the most retarded-ass thing I've seen in a video game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-coUZ6uR3to

This guy's method is better I think, he doesn't use infinite ammo etc.

(so glad I don't give a crap about rank in games)

Oh damn, I was under the impression that you'd have to no-damage that sequence to get the S-rank. I'll give it a shot again later then, seems doable.

Oh damn, I was under the impression that you'd have to no-damage that sequence to get the S-rank. I'll give it a shot again later then, seems doable.

It's not hard, just boring and frustrating. Checkpoints and reloading in this game are generally pretty good, minus a few very obvious exceptions like that lobby sequence.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I would not have bought this game had I known about this fucking garbage.

I think I have to throw up. I need to strangle somebody. This is the most retarded-ass thing I've seen in a video game.

Rising is full of things like that

The hardest part is not having the rocket launcher guys blow up your turrets. So you have to throw smokes when they spawn and remember their position so that you can kill them before it dissipates.

The grad after that is cake if you have 2-3 nanopastes because it's so large.

Just remember to get your zandatsu requirement from the guys who rush up the stairs and the flying pods and you should be fine

Nice, S-ranked everything up to the first Japanese Garden fight, which for some reason I just couldn't do. Even when I appeared to do everything perfectly I still didn't get the no-damage bonus. I perfected the damn thing ten times.

Then it hit me.
The fight timer was always over 6 minutes.

I've been visited by the save glitch gremlin.

This means I have to S-rank the whole chapter again from the start, right?

Nice, S-ranked everything up to the first Japanese Garden fight, which for some reason I just couldn't do. Even when I appeared to do everything perfectly I still didn't get the no-damage bonus. I perfected the damn thing ten times.

Then it hit me.

There's a reason for the multiple save slots y'know...

Also, if you haven't done the VR missions yet, you literally haven't experienced even half the pain that the game will inflict on you.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

Then it hit me.

I think I heard that it doesn't have to all be done in one run. You have to replay the stage to get another shot at that section, but if you do the rest, all those s ranks will be preserved along with what you've already done.

But I can't verify that myself. I did them all in one shot

Carbonox

There's a reason for the multiple save slots y'know...

Also, if you haven't done the VR missions yet, you literally haven't experienced even half the pain that the game will inflict on you.

27LTwYF.gif

y u remind me

The last ones....omg. Sadistic side of me wants to re-Plat it. :lol

Carbonox

I swear my game glitched out or some noise for that sequence. I S-Ranked it fine on Revengeance because the GRAD's rockets weren't hitting me. Not one bit, even if I was standing in clear sight.

Unless there was a legitimate reason for it, I lucked out. :lol

Mendoza

Hah. I just beat the game like 3 minutes ago.

Really fun game, through the final showdown with Armstrong was bullshit until the game gives you healing items.

I didn't die once until this part actually.

Also, George was the dumbest character ever. I also hate that every character in Metal Gear has to have an accent. It's very Metal Gear, but enough of that shit.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Hah. I just beat the game like 3 minutes ago.

Really fun game, through the final showdown with Armstrong was bullshit until the game gives you healing items.

I didn't die once until this part actually.

Also, George was the dumbest character ever. I also hate that every character in Metal Gear has to have an accent. It's very Metal Gear, but enough of that shit.

George was awesome. Loved his accent. More games need non traditional characters like him.

McNum

A quick question here. I'm trying to get all the collectables, and I'm only missing a few VR missions and left arms here.

But are all the arms the same no matter the difficulty or do i have to play a specific one to get the last few to appear? I know I'm missing one in chapter 7, since I keep getting a bad cut on that guy, but just curious about the rest.

I'm thinking that i could just speed through on Easy with an upgraded Murasama blade and grab the arms really fast. That'd be such an onesided slaughter, though,

Top Bottom