• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 3D Snake Eater |OT| "The world was split into two - HD and 3D."

sR4vb.jpg

WHAT: An upgraded port of the PS2 version of the undisputed definitive chapter of the Metal Gear Solid saga, exclusive for the Nintendo 3DS.
WHEN: North America - February 21st l Europe/Japan - March 8th
HOW MUCH: $39.99

BMzdS.jpg

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater is the earliest point of the Metal Gear mythos, telling the story of Naked Snake as he goes on a death-defying and groin-grabbingly awesome quest against the backdrop of 1964 Russia. The CIA chooses Snake to undertake THE VIRTUOUS MISSION, which brings him to the jungles of the Soviet Union to rescue a cowardly and annoying scientist named Nikolai Sokolov. On his support team, Snake is commanded by Major Zero, a SAS commander who has started the "sneaking" outfit known as FOX to handle all of the American Government's top secret "sneaking" missions. The legendary super woman known as "The Boss" is also on the team and helped Major Zero plan the VIRTUOUS MISSION. She also happens to be Snake's longtime mentor/weird mother figure.

The mission goes super bad...like, it goes HORRIBLY and Snake messes up HARD. He basically loses Sokolov to the electric powered dynamo known as Volgin, The Boss immediately defects to the soviet union and brings along a bunch of dorky bosses who throw bees and shit. It's messed up. The CIA is SUPER PISSED and while Snake is still recovering in the ICU, they send him on ANOTHER mission where he basically has to kill everyone, feed on tree frogs and retrieve 3 billion dollars. Also, he meets a super sonic babe known as EVA.

This...is OPERATION SNAKE EATER.

jOxyR.jpg

If you're only vaguely familiar with Metal Gear Solid games, the big changes Snake Eater brings to the table are:

CQC - A form of close-quarters combat, this gives Snake an edge in hand-to-hand fighting, and let's him grab, throw, and basically beat the shit out of any grunts he comes across. You can slit their throats, prod them for information, or throw them wherever you want, like off a ravine.

STAMINA: The Jungle is a harsh place, where you stamina is constantly dropping all the time. Even if you're standing still, your stamina will eventually drop, because you're in Russia, I guess. You'll need to eat whatever you can find to keep your stamina up, frogs, crocodiles, birds, snakes, calorie mates, EVA...it doesn't matter, if it looks tasty, you can eat it! If you let your stamina get too low, it'll effect your performance in battle.

CAMO INDEX: Snake needs to blend into his surroundings kinda like a Snake...or a gecko, or something that's cold-blooded. To do this, he'll need to switch out his uniform or facepaint to better blend into his surroundings. The higher the camo percentage, the harder he is to see.

NINTENDO 3DS EXCLUSIVE FEATURES:

GODDAMN CROUCH-WALKING MOTHER FUCKER: Easily one the simplest and best new features of any Metal Gear game to date, it's so god-like it almost makes you forgive Kojima for MGS4. This slower form of movement keeps you low to the ground, and lets you stalk enemies like a kick-ass jungle cat, giving Snake lots of movement options, and making him 100% more bad-ass.

OVER-THE-SHOULDER AIMING: More recent Metal Gear games that are not as good as Snake Eater innovated with a more modern camera perspective when aiming, giving Snake an easier time of placing those shots into enemy groins. But don't worry, if you're an OG, you can switch the camera to "traditional" 1st person aiming.

GYRO-CONTROLS: Russia is not all jungles and swamps! There's bridges and narrow mountain passes too! To traverse these, new gyro controls have been added so you will need to tilt your 3DS to keep Snake's balance. If you do this in public, girls will see you flexing your muscles, and will probably want to have sex with you afterwards. Make them cosplay like EVA.

CAMERA CAMO: With the 3DS's super high-tech cameras, you can take a picture basically anything and imprint it on Snake's uniform and face camo to better blend in his surroundings. It should be noted very few background elements in Snake Eater look like penises, so you might not want to try...you know.

UPDATED CHARACTER MODELS: Character models in the game have seen some tweaks, most notably Snake himself. More colorful tones, higher contrast, and an added number of polygons, make the character models appear tastier and fresher than ever before!

CIRCLE PAD SUPPORT: Don't want to bother with dreadful Peace Walker camera controls? Nintendo just so happened to put out a device that will hopefully erase those painfull memories from our collective sub-consciences! It now controls as smoothly as EVA's bazongas!

bXDLT.jpg

Nintendo Power - 9/10
EDGE - 8/10 "Packed with detail, both in terms of it’s environments and mechanics, this is a game that pays back investment in spades. MGS3 is a moden classic – the tighest, smartest and most emotional journey in the series – and even the HD update doesn’t look as good as this portable treatment.”
Nintendo Gamer - 93%

ky8MJ.jpg

metal-gear-solid-snake-eater-3d-20110915033559275_640w.jpg

metal-gear-solid-snake-eater-3d-20110915033557199_640w.jpg

metal-gear-solid-snake-eater-3d-20110915033557848_640w.jpg

metal-gear-solid-snake-eater-3d-20110818010601213_640w.jpg

metal-gear-solid-snake-eater-3d-20110607002717696_640w.jpg

metal-gear-solid-snake-eater-3d-20110607002727039_640w.jpg

guDhA.jpg

Soi-Fong

Will get this if I have funds left over from the Vita madness this week. Kinda cheeky for Konami releasing this alongside the Vita. haha

This seems a better place to ask this. Here's a question that's important to me - is the old Metal Gear Solid theme song "motif" in this game? I know some people have the full game already, I remember it being in the original, but that was before it was foolishly decided to stop using the awesome song forever because of the similarity with that Russian song.

This seems a better place to ask this. Here's a question that's important to me - is the old Metal Gear Solid theme song "motif" in this game? I know some people have the full game already, I remember it being in the original, but that was before it was foolishly decided to stop using the awesome song forever because of the similarity with that Russian song.

It was in the HD version so probably.

I feel sorry for anyone playing this game for the first time like this

Would it be okay to play this for the 5th time but on the go? Or should I wait for the Vita version, oh wait....maybe Ill wait for the Iphone version. :p

edit: Good OT. Im still debating but cuz its MGS3 and on the go and Vita version isnt out yet Im almost on the edge of getting it tomorrow.

Soi-Fong

With improved graphics, controls, gameplay, no cut effects or sequences, and in 3D? Yeah, gotta feel really sorry for them :p

I'd feel sorry too if you had to play this game without the CPP. lol And regarding graphics, I couldn't care less if there was a bump up in polygons (or shaders for that matter) when the whole game is jaggy central and Nintendo has no clue about anti-aliasing. Gameplay is still fun though I must admit. 3D effect is sorta a hit or miss. Some parts are amazing, others not so amazing.

braves01

Banned
3D hate in full force already. Funny thing is, I was just playing MGS3 vanilla and there's some dialogue with Paramedic about the movie "It came from outer space," and its 3d effects where she says it looked cool but made her eyes tired after a while. I wonder if they've changed that...

Anyways, excited to hear impressions not from the demo.

linko9

Here is my fear: This game sells terribly because it is a shoddy port (based on my experience with the demo), and thus will review poorly. Also not much marketing for this. Anyway, my fear is that it will scare Kojipro from putting out a new MG game on the 3DS. I think an Ac!d game would be great, or (in my dreams), a fixed-overhead MGS1-style game.

jtrov

Really enjoyed the demo as it definitely got me excited for the full version of the game. I was really impressed with the 3D and I can't wait to see how it looks in some of the later scenes and environments. Definitely agree with "crouch walking", it's certainly an awesome addition to Snake Eater and it made sneaking much, much better.

Amazon finally updated my order status, so I look forward to playing this some time tomorrow afternoon.

Now to debate on whether I should go for an Extreme run first or run through on Hard mode just to get acquainted with the game again(been a long time).

Going to be a great time with this and Syndicate on the same day. :)

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Do you want to play MGS3 on the go? Here it is !

I'm in as f--k.

I don't care if it's an enhanced port of something i can play at home so why would i want to play it on a portable because blahblahblaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Great game, now on a handheld. Pixel jackpot.

OmegaZero

I know there probably aren't any better ones out there at the moment, but even the demo looks better then some of those screens.
EDIT: Okay, did a double-take and re-read the OP.
Nice one.

CorvoSol

Thread title is amazing.

I can only offer the following in response:

"Boss, I finally understand. It isn't about changing the game. It's about leaving it the way it was, for future generations."

EDGE - 8/10 "Packed with detail, both in terms of it’s environments and mechanics, this is a game that pays back investment in spades. MGS3 is a moden classic – the tighest, smartest and most emotional journey in the series – and even the HD update doesn’t look as good as this portable treatment.”

Is Edge being serious with that statement?

Nice OT.

I will buy Snake Eater as many times as they re-release it and I do not feel any shame at all in saying that. Picking this up tomorrow.

Wow, so this is not just a straight port with 3D? Are the visuals really improved?

I may double dip on this. I loved the PS2 version, so I may want this!

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Is Edge being serious with that statement?

in terms of it looking better than the HD version? Yes, i believe it's possible.

Different techniques and the 3D effect can be used to make a game look better than the console equivalent - see Monster Hunter 3G as another example.

I'd imagine in a game based on stealth, positioning and where distance judgement is an important factor in some situations that the 3D is a big differentiator.

00 Snake

"Then what about a snake-shaped gun? You could make it look like you're grappling with a giant snake and then get a shot in on the enemy while they're distracted."

Love, it's been about 8 years since it came out yet it hardly aged a day as far as I'm concerned, I hope a new generation enjoys the game as much, if not more.

- J - D -

The improved texturing on some models may help, but doesn't the low-res screen and subsequent aliasing negate any of the superiority the 3DS version has over the HD (or even PS2) version?

OmegaZero

The improved texturing on some models may help, but doesn't the low-res screen and subsequent aliasing negate any of the superiority the 3DS version has over the HD (or even PS2) version?

IIRC, Edge loved the 3D. Maybe they meant the 3D made the game "look" better then the HD version?
Or maybe they were seriously talking about the visuals as a whole, which is hard to believe coming from the demo.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
So... wait... the game definitely has crazy slowdown during cutscenes, some bad aliasing, and less-than-perfect controls; yet the game is getting 8s from EDGE and 9s from everywhere else?

I'm a bit confused. I mean, MGS3 is a fucking phenomenal game; arguably one of the best ever made. So, certainly, no matter what it's going to get a decent score. But I feel like these reviews are being overly lenient based on early reports.

Or were the reports that the final game was similar to the demo BS?

Either way, I'm getting it.

Alrus

Yay threadshitting in full force!

Anyway, I'm actually excited for this, I never owned a PS2 so this will be my first time playing this.

I'm still so torn about getting this. Snake Eater is one of my five favorite games of all time, but this version does not look very good at all.

- J - D -

IIRC, Edge loved the 3D. Maybe they meant the 3D made the game "look" better then the HD version?
Or maybe they were seriously talking about the visuals as a whole, which is hard to believe coming from the demo.

I suppose it's a matter of taste then in this regard, because, although I liked its implementation in this, the 3D doesn't distract me from the aliasing. If anything, it might even make it worse. That was the case with RE Revelations. I liked the novelty of 3D for the first couple of hours, but turning it off made the game look better, with anti-aliasing.

I'm not sure if MGS3D employs the same AA technique. Can't imagine it does, what with that horrid framerate in or out of 3D.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I've been waiting for this since its announcement, but after playing the demo, I'm content with waiting for a price drop. $20 seems like the sweet spot for me.

Top Bottom