• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 3D Snake Eater |OT| "The world was split into two - HD and 3D."

-Eddman-

First of all, this is one of my favorite games ever. It was the first MGS I played and instantly made me a fan of the franchise, so I'm biased, but here's my demo impressions anyway:

The framerate is noticeably bad during cutscenes, but didn't bother me during gameplay.

The new contrast and colors are indeed pretty good. Looks better than the PS2 version.

The controls without CPP take time and patience to get used to, but in the end they were OK for me. Again, I really love this game so my opinion on this might be useless.

The 3D effect is the best I have seen on the system along with RE. In my case, it made the difference between my previous "cool, a portable Snake Eater, but I won't buy it" opinion and really wanting to purchase it right now. It works best inside the building, in the last part of the demo, just OK in the jungle.

Overall, the demo made a good impression in me and I'm currently looking forward to add yet another Snake Eater copy to my collection.

Wolfe

Looking forward to playing my copy when I get home today, picked up a CPP yesterday just for it (although I started using it with RE:R the other day after having played over 50% of the game without it and man, while it was tough getting used to I'm really loving the thing).

Some quick impressions!

My stupid gamestop is sold out of circle pads, so Peace Walker controls for now.

3D is gorgeous, I really feel it adds something to the experience, and in my opinion, makes the game look fresher and more immersive than the HD version. I find myself looking at things and moving the camera around to get a real good look at everything and appreciating the game alot more visually.

Crouch-walking is awesome, and I really fits with the game I feel. It also looks super bad-ass/awesome/wicked when you're crouch-walking through grass.

I seriously LOL'd at all the "Which Metal Gear game do you like?" opening question.

I've never played Metal Gear!
I like Metal Gear Solid 1!
I like Metal Gear Solid 2!
I like Metal Gear Solid 3!
I like Metal Gear Solid 4!
I like Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops!
I like Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker!
I like all Metal Gears!

Fucking loolllzzzzzz

OmegaZero

I seriously LOL'd at all the "Which Metal Gear game do you like?" opening question.

I like all Metal Gears!

Fucking loolllzzzzzz

If each of those alters the game differently, I know I'll be playing through this at least 8 times.

Some quick impressions!

My stupid gamestop is sold out of circle pads, so Peace Walker controls for now.

3D is gorgeous, I really feel it adds something to the experience, and in my opinion, makes the game look fresher and more immersive than the HD version. I find myself looking at things and moving the camera around to get a real good look at everything and appreciating the game alot more visually.

Crouch-walking is awesome, and I really fits with the game I feel. It also looks super bad-ass/awesome/wicked when you're crouch-walking through grass.

I like all Metal Gears!

Fucking loolllzzzzzz

Yeah, I picked I like MGS3.

I wonder what the other ones do, if anything.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
out of curiousity, how many save slots does this one have?

I filled up every slot in the original Snake Eater with saves at every milestone in the game for my stealth camo and infinite facepaint run, so the more the better.

ruxtpin

Banned
I'm not seeing Syphon Filter anywhere in there.

I was pulling at strings tying to get the last bit put together, Splinter Cell and Assassin's Creed came to mind, then I did a search right after I posted my message. Google "games like mgs" and I get Syphon Filter on a Yahoo Answers. lol

VALKYRAY

Banned
i picked "I like all Metal Gears!"
is it bad?

also, i felt the new touh screen dialog is badly dubbed, especially the paramedic part

I asked before, but when you get the time to try it out, let me know how many save slots there are.

Most likely, one (with a small possibility of two). You can't pick a slot when you save, and the main menu only shows your current game (then "New Game" underneath it).

There could be two (hence the New Game button), but since you can't select a slot when saving, I fear that testing it would mean possibly deleting my current game, so I won't try.

Someone starting out should test it.

Boerseun

Banned
To be honest, I'd rather have a 3D(S) compilation of the Ac!d games. Having said that, Snake Eater 3D is a purchase that I will not be passing up. It seems genuinely improved over the original (as opposed to the borked HD version) and 3D seems a natural fit for this style of gameplay. So I'll be looking forward to picking up a copy when it launches in PAL regions.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Most likely, one (with a small possibility of two). You can't pick a slot when you save, and the main menu only shows your current game (then "New Game" underneath it).

There could be two (hence the New Game button), but since you can't select a slot when saving, I fear that testing it would mean possibly deleting my current game, so I won't try.

Someone starting out should test it.

Disappointing, but yeah I'll for some one else to test it out as well.

BD1

Banned
Great OT.

Very excited to finally play this. I played some of it in college, my roommate had it, but the semester ran out before I could really get into it and I never got around to finishing it on PS2.

A pro-tip for those having trouble finding the CCP at GameStop (like I did), Nintendo is selling it direct through its parts & repairs online store and mine shipped immediately.

pa22word

Got it a few hours ago. The newly recorded VA is shockingly bad.

during the scene after the boss breaks your arm and tosses you over the edge and you then have to heal yourself, the new explanation for the healing made my jaw drop at how terrible the VA was

during the scene after the boss breaks your arm and tosses you over the edge and you then have to heal yourself, the new explanation for the healing made my jaw drop at how terrible the VA was

Can't wait to hear it!

Why did they record new VA?

A pro-tip for those having trouble finding the CCP at GameStop (like I did), Nintendo is selling it direct through its parts & repairs online store and mine shipped immediately.

No kidding. I placed my order today and it's already shipped too, that's great because I was worried I would have to wait too long before I get the CPP.

Here's the link if anyone else wants to order it, and if you're interested in getting one you better act fast because Gamestop supposedly isn't restocking it before April, and Nintendo might sell out too.

Why did they record new VA?

Because the 3DS is not a Playstation controller?

Great OT! Had a good laugh reading it.

I'll be getting the game this weekend, I'm a MGS3 virgin so really looking forward to it!

Because the 3DS is not a Playstation controller?

I had forgotten that there was an instance of dialogue in MGS3 that specifically referenced the controller (it's been awhile).

Is anyone still waiting on their Amazon order to ship? I purchased it last night and they have yet to charge me.

backlot

Some quick impressions!

I like Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker
I like all Metal Gears!

Fucking loolllzzzzzz

Just got the game. I chose Peace Walker.

Zero tells Snake to use the Fulton recovery system to rescue Sokolov during the Virtuous Mission.

Cute reference.

Thoraxes

Fuuuuu- the UPS lady came just as I was leaving to record this concert tonight.

Now I gotta wait till I get home to play, which is like 5 hours from now :(

Top Bottom