• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 3D Snake Eater |OT| "The world was split into two - HD and 3D."

OmegaZero

Also, textures from the demo aren't the same as the full game.
The rooftop of the abandoned factory has more detail then the demo version.

I'd be farther if I would remember to save more often.

sfried

Oh my God
zilla. There's a hidden Twin Snakes/Ryuhei Kitamura reference when ParaMedic mentions to Snake to wait for 2004 for Godzilla's anniversary birthday (Godzilla: Final Wars, which Kitamura directed). Kitamura directed the cutscenes for Twin Snakes (so if you must blame him for the "Matrix action sequences", I guess you can pin that on Kojima's idea for telling him to go all out)
!

Oh my God
zilla. There's a hidden Twin Snakes/Ryuhei Kitamura reference when ParaMedic mentions to Snake to wait for 2004 for Godzilla's anniversary birthday (Godzilla: Final Wars)
!

That was in the game before, at least it was in the HD collection.

sfried

The Sokolov model looks really good. You could really see the effect of the normal mapping.

Edit: Was there a reference to Creature from the Black Lagoon in the original? Something about 3D effects...

braves01

Banned
The Sokolov model looks really good. You could really see the effect of the normal mapping.

Edit: Was there a reference to Creature from the Black Lagoon in the original? Something about 3D effects...

Yes. Did Para-medic say something about her eyes getting tired? I was wondering if they would change that...

The controls without the circle pad pro are just shitty. I need to invest in one I suppose. Did they remove the static cam? So far I'm no digging this port because of the clumsy controls. This makes me more excited for the vita version though.

OmegaZero

Anyone unlock
the Infinity Face Paint
yet?
I've having trouble getting a
Tsuchinoko
. Known methods aren't working for me.

Amalthea

Banned
Oh my God
zilla. There's a hidden Twin Snakes/Ryuhei Kitamura reference when ParaMedic mentions to Snake to wait for 2004 for Godzilla's anniversary birthday (Godzilla: Final Wars, which Kitamura directed). Kitamura directed the cutscenes for Twin Snakes (so if you must blame him for the "Matrix action sequences", I guess you can pin that on Kojima's idea for telling him to go all out)
!

Yoji Shinkawa, the series artist also did designs for costumes and vehicles in Godzilla Final Wars. Click here :Final Wars Concept Art

OmegaZero

CheatCC review is up: http://www.cheatcc.com/3ds/rev/metalgearsolid3snakeeater3dthenakedsamplereview.html

"The 3DS may have had a bit of a troubled launch, but games like this show that this system definitely has a lot of untapped power. I hope more developers take Konami's example and give us games that are worth playing on the 3DS. Even though Snake Eater 3D is technically a remake, it feels like a whole new game, and is one that definitely shouldn't be missed."

4.7 out of 5

sfried

The controls without the circle pad pro are just shitty. I need to invest in one I suppose. Did they remove the static cam? So far I'm no digging this port because of the clumsy controls. This makes me more excited for the vita version though.
With CPP, cam controls are all yours. But I agree they should've let people choose a different scheme for those without CPPro like RE:R did. Hell even gyro controls would make it perfect (use touch screen buttons to adjust camera a la Revelations).

How am I supposed to peak when I aim? I need this to get through certain parts of the game fast. Does the circle pad pro let you do this?

sinnergy

CheatCC review is up: http://www.cheatcc.com/3ds/rev/metalgearsolid3snakeeater3dthenakedsamplereview.html

"The 3DS may have had a bit of a troubled launch, but games like this show that this system definitely has a lot of untapped power. I hope more developers take Konami's example and give us games that are worth playing on the 3DS. Even though Snake Eater 3D is technically a remake, it feels like a whole new game, and is one that definitely shouldn't be missed."

4.7 out of 5

Another glowing review.. stop trusting DEMO's. (or maybe the reviewer needs glasses)

IrishNinja

awesome job OP, sorry so many people shat up the first page.

prolly get this one later on the cheap though; it's my favorite MGS, but that makes snake eater, subsistence, red box LE, MGS essentials + HD collection so...yeah, one too many times at full price, heh.

sinnergy

They don't even mention the framerate.

Nope.
Unless tilting the 3DS somehow works.

Source: Me pressing every single input with a CPP-enabled 3DS.

I think these days gamers should stop complaining about framerate.. it's not that bad in this game. They can complain but not for minor stuff, I agree with Ps3 Skyrim ;) I played the demo and even in that it wasn't bad.. just enjoy the game.. games are not real life, they have problems.

Maybe I sound old, but I played, Gameboy /NES / SNES and n64.. now those had framerate problems..

Gameboy Megaman 1 anyone?

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Another glowing review.. stop trusting DEMO's. (or maybe the reviewer needs glasses)

What are you even talking about? The demo was very indicative of the final product, barring a slight touch up here & there that most won't even notice.

Repost of my own post from HD collection thread.
Don't know where to post this....
Probably a new artwork of next METAL GEAR.
LINK

Sorry if old....

sfried

What are you even talking about? The demo was very indicative of the final product, barring a slight touch up here & there that most won't even notice.
Not really. Certain things were gimped in the demo. And I hardly call the final product having a "slight touch up".

The main reason not to go by just the demo is that playing the actual game with all its varied environments and scenes not featured in the demo really improves the overall presentation.

RE: Revelations' demo was "representative" of the game too, but actually playing the real game, there's no comparison. A lot of people said as much.

Nicktendo86

Well played the demo with the circle pad pro last night and it is sooo much better. Found the circle pad to be really comfy as well and I have quite small hands. Can't go wrong for £15.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Not really. Certain things were gimped in the demo. And I hardly call the final product having a "slight touch up".
Visually the demo was extremely indicative of the final game. People screaming "E3 BUILD!" were flat out incorrect. It was not an ancient build of the game and the final is not a technical improvement upon it.

The framerate is virtually unchanged from the demo as are the visuals (barring a few details here and there).

You want to see an old build? Go check out videos of the game posted last fall. THAT was choppy as hell and worse than both the demo and the final game. The demo was completely representative, however.

What exactly do you feel has changed?

So, something kind of strange: I'm not seeing Very Easy mode in this game.

There's Easy, Normal, Hard, and Extreme (as long as you don't pick "I'm new to the series"). Easy starts you with the EZ gun, which formerly you could only start with in Very Easy. Does this mean that Easy is now Very Easy, or is it still just Easy and the gun is the only change?

Is it possible that all difficulties were tweaked, or that they bumped them all down a notch? (Easy = Very Easy, Normal = Easy, Hard = Normal)

And on a totally different note, Nintendo Power says that an issue of their magazine is in Graniny Gorki with Snake on the cover, and if you shoot it you can see the MGS3 preview from one of their issues. Nice touch. That used to be another game magazine, right?

Veal

Has anyone else
talked to paramedic while looking at a Yoshi? What kind of reward is there for finding all of them?
It got a laugh out of me at least.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I've gotten used to the demo now. Controls pretty well with the frankenstick (though aiming feels a bit loose and laggy), and despite the aliasing and grass pop-in I don't really have any problem with the visuals. It's Snake Eater after all, so there's a lot of good game there.

20 - 30fps fluctuations make it a no buy though, which is a shame, as I might bite otherwise. I found the choppy framerate a huge burden on simply playing the game, not to mention making cutscenes look terrible. 20fps for anything just isn't acceptable by any stretch of the imagination.

What a shame that they didn't, or couldn't, iron out the framerate for retail. I might pick this up later down the track, but not until I can get it super cheap.

Thoraxes

Visually the demo was extremely indicative of the final game. People screaming "E3 BUILD!" were flat out incorrect. It was not an ancient build of the game and the final is not a technical improvement upon it.

The framerate is virtually unchanged from the demo as are the visuals (barring a few details here and there).

You want to see an old build? Go check out videos of the game posted last fall. THAT was choppy as hell and worse than both the demo and the final game. The demo was completely representative, however.

What exactly do you feel has changed?

Did you pick it up yesterday? Do some impressions of some scenes.

It has more to do with MGS3 being a classic, than the quality of the port itself.

I'm about done with The Fury. Haven't played MGS3 since Subsistence, so I'm falling in love all over again.

The boss battles are easily the best in almost any game ever.

Has anyone else
talked to paramedic while looking at a Yoshi? What kind of reward is there for finding all of them?
It got a laugh out of me at least.

No one has found/shot them all yet. However, it will most likely result in Stealth Camo and a camo print.

UK shops like Game and Gamestation were listing this as 9th of March, but with the new release dates released today, it looks like its been brought forward to the 8th -- a Thursday release. Strange, but most welcome!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Did you pick it up yesterday? Do some impressions of some scenes.
I almost did. Ended up playing some of the final game at a buddies game store yesterday, however, as I was genuinely curious to try it. If I hadn't been able to try it there I may have purchased it just for GAF. :p

I could see myself buying it later for $20 or so as I do love the game and some of the improvements made are pretty nice.

I played up through the bridge scene as I wanted to see how the 3DS version handled rain particles and the insects (not all that well, unfortunately).

Still, I finally got my hands on the CPP yesterday as well (he had a used CPP on hand). It's just as ugly as I had expected, but I have to admit that it's quite comfortable to use and does result in a more playable game. The change in triggers is a bit odd feeling, but the overall size really fits the hands better. Using the CPP I could almost say that MGS3D plays better than the HD version simply due to third person aiming and crouch walking. Those really DO add to the game.

That said, crouch walking isn't as effective as I had hoped and doesn't work quite the same way as it did in MGS4. It's still an improvement.

If it weren't for the technical problems I'd probably pick it up already as it's neat having MGS3 on the go. Even with those problems, though, it looks quite a bit nicer than Peace Walker on PSP ever did (and runs similarly).

DSmalls84

I haven't compared the two at the same time but does the retail version have better contrast, less jaggies, and slightly faster in-game fps? I could be wrong but it seems better than the demo in those areas.

OmegaZero

I haven't compared the two at the same time but does the retail version have better contrast, less jaggies, and slightly faster in-game fps? I could be wrong but it seems better than the demo in those areas.

Yeah, I get the first and last. Especially the first.
Pretty sure the jaggies are the same though, since the game doesn't use AA.

pa22word

I'm playing on normal, but I'm breezing through it without much challenge at all >.>

Having beaten MGS3 on Extreme back in the day it's to be somewhat expected, but even when I'm triggering alerts I'm killing off all the backup with no trouble at all. Maybe the guy who said they bumped down everything was right....

I'm playing on normal, but I'm breezing through it without much challenge at all >.>

Having beaten MGS3 on Extreme back in the day it's to be somewhat expected, but even when I'm triggering alerts I'm killing off all the backup with no trouble at all. Maybe the guy who said they bumped down everything was right....

You can do the same in the original MGS 3.

pa22word

You can do the same in the original MGS 3.

*spoilers for the bosses in this post*

I just obliterated the fury only taking a single hit, and when I was hit I only took off like a sliver of health >_>

I remember him packing quite a punch on the PS2 in comparison. All the bosses thus far have seemed a lot easier than their PS2 counterparts. I even non-lethally disposed of The Fear quite easily, and I remember that being a huge pain in the ass on the PS2.

Ridley327

I think you're at least remembering The Fear wrong, since you can literally stand in one place for the entire fight and wail on him if you picked up the thermal goggles.

pa22word

I think you're at least remembering The Fear wrong, since you can literally stand in one place for the entire fight and wail on him if you picked up the thermal goggles.

Yeah that's the thing...I didn't even have them yet and still downed him in about 3 mins flat =\

Anyone willing and able to do a comparison? Like get hit by crocodiles 4 times in each version, same difficulty, and see how much damage you took?

Best way to take out The Fear's stamina:

Use fake death pill, when The Fear turns away from Snake, revive, throw stun grenade, unload on him with an assault rifle, preferably headshots.

At least this worked on the PS2/PS3 HD versions. Don't own it for 3DS yet.

How do the graphics look during
The Fury
battle? I remember being in awe of how prwetee the fire looked on the PS2 version. That whole level with the fire and the shadows was so cool. Hopefully there's little to no slowdown.

jtrov

My friend went ahead and picked this up after playing the demo yesterday and it's awesome reading his texts as he goes through it; since this is his first experience with a MGS game. Glad to see someone new trying out the series, so they can see what they've been missing out on.

As for me I'm still thoroughly enjoying the game even with this being the 6th or 7th time playing through Snake Eater. Some of the cutscenes and environments look so amazing in 3D. I'm also really enjoying what the new gameplay tweaks are bringing to the game. The goddamn crouch walk is making it a lot more enjoyable and faster to sneak by guards and the movement in TPS and FPS aiming makes taking out bosses a lot easier than before.

Just loving this game all over again... now in 3D.

How do the graphics look during
The Fury
battle? I remember being in awe of prwetee the fire looked on the PS2 version. That whole level with the fire and the shadows was so cool. Hopefully there's little to no slowdown.

There is heavy slowdown when you're in the thick of his flames (as he's shooting it out). I beat him earlier.

Graphics look solid, otherwise.

Wolfe

Really enjoying this game so far visually and control wise while using the CPP with it, glad I snagged it off amazon especially considering that 10 dollar credit :p

Yeah that's the thing...I didn't even have them yet and still downed him in about 3 mins flat =\

Trust me. MGS3 was easy, overall. It was challenging only when you wanted it to be (The Boss run, Kerotans, etc.).

Even then, I stamina killed The Fear in about 1 minute on my Extreme run back in the day.

Top Bottom