• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 3D Snake Eater |OT| "The world was split into two - HD and 3D."

Great OT... Nice job!

Picked this up on Tuesday and actually put my Vita down to play it - aw hell, it's Metal Gear, of course everything else was going to get shelved while I played it! Anyway, I played the Virtuous Mission, then went back to the store and bought the Circle Pad Pro... Yes, the add-on is huge, and yes, it looks ridiculous and gets in the way of the stylus port and makes the cradle useless unless I want to pop it off to charge, but it does make the system a whole lot more comfortable to hold and it significantly improves the control options for this game, so I'm glad I grabbed it, and I'm sure I'll use it with RE:Revelaitions when I pick that up too...

As to the game itself, I like the convenience of the addition of crouching, of course, and having the lower screen for mapping and inventory management is actually pretty nice. I think the game looks pretty good - it's MGS:3 all right - but the jury's still out on the 3D... I really seem to be having a love/hate relationship with my 3DS on this issue. I mean, the 3D effect is kind of cool, but with the it active I find I keep losing my visual sweet spot and the image goes all fucky on me and I have to spend time "out" of the game getting my view adjusted again, and then I play the game somemore and I'm getting into it and something interesting happens and bam! everything goes all blurrydoublevisionmessedup on me again and I have to adjust how I'm holding the system and so on and so forth, etc. ad infinitum... I had the same issue with Ocarina of Time 3D, to the point where I just played the game 2D in the end. I've resisted the urge with MGS:3D so far, but I'm not sure I'm going to stick with the 3D much longer; cool as it is, it's just such a drag to be constantly pulled out of the game to fix my POV.

It's great to have a portable version of MGS:3 though. The only issue I have with the game itself so far is the single save file... I mean really? ONE save? Who the fuck thought that was a good idea? Whoever it was, KILL HIM NOW! I mean, with this cart, if I defeat The End using one method and save, I can't go back and try another tactic without playing through the whole game again? That truly sucks. I have an entire Sony PS2 Memory Card dedicated just to MGS:2 and MGS:3 saves, and I don't like this one save per game idea at all. I think it's cheap as hell, in every sense of the word, and will probably reduce the replayability of this version for me... Oh, and some of the redone voice work for Paramedic's tutorials changing to 3DS controls doesn't match that well with the original, but that was probably unavoidable... It's pretty close, but you can hear the difference...

So, all and all, I'd give it an enthusiastic (if somewhat conditional) thumbs up so far. But I'm a huge MGS fan boy, so what do I know?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Because we had a big debate about it on another thread about which version to play for your first play through, and the HD version got most of the praise but now it looks as though this might be the best version to load up for your first time playing it.

And ya it looks great cant wait to get my hands on it.
Just buy it.

The HD version *IS* better in almost every way and would make for a better first time experience, but you clearly don't give a shit and just want the 3DS version. Just buy that version and stop pretending like you were actually considering the HD version in the first place.

If 3D was important to you then you should find a better way to enjoy it. The 3DS has some pretty awful 3D in comparison to other solutions out there.

Because we had a big debate about it on another thread about which version to play for your first play through, and the HD version got most of the praise but now it looks as though this might be the best version to load up for your first time playing it.

And ya it looks great cant wait to get my hands on it.

I would disagree with the idea that the 3DS version is the version to use for a first play through for one reason and one reason only: ONLY ONE SAVE FILE.

There's so much to discover, explore, experiment with and enjoy in this game, that having only one save file really would limit my enjoyment of the game if it was my first time through... If you're just playing through for the story, maybe it wouldn't be an issue to you, but if you want to try defeating the various bosses in multiple ways, for instance, that one and one only save is going to be a real roadblock...

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
If 3D was important to you then you should find a better way to enjoy it. The 3DS has some pretty awful 3D in comparison to other solutions out there.
Can you play MGS3 in 3D anywhere else? No you can't. So does it make your statement irrelevant? Totally.

I think the game looks pretty good - it's MGS:3 all right - but the jury's still out on the 3D... I really seem to be having a love/hate relationship with my 3DS on this issue. I mean, the 3D effect is kind of cool, but with the it active I find I keep losing my visual sweet spot and the image goes all fucky on me and I have to spend time "out" of the game getting my view adjusted again, and then I play the game somemore and I'm getting into it and something interesting happens and bam! everything goes all blurrydoublevisionmessedup on me again and I have to adjust how I'm holding the system and so on and so forth, etc. ad infinitum... I had the same issue with Ocarina of Time 3D, to the point where I just played the game 2D in the end. I've resisted the urge with MGS:3D so far, but I'm not sure I'm going to stick with the 3D much longer; cool as it is, it's just such a drag to be constantly pulled out of the game to fix my POV.

Well 3D is not necessary at all for codec calls (even though I love the effect on Snake in them!) so there's no great loss there, and that's like half the time spent playing the game, if you're enjoying the story.

And on the other side of things, 3D is really awesome for cutscenes, and you don't need to struggle to control the game and maintain the sweet spot during them. (I personally have no trouble doing it at all times, but to each his own.)

So if nothing else it's easy to flip on 3D for scenes and flip it back off for gameplay.

The only issue I have with the game itself so far is the single save file... I mean really? ONE save? Who the fuck thought that was a good idea? Whoever it was, KILL HIM NOW! I mean, with this cart, if I defeat The End using one method and save, I can't go back and try another tactic without playing through the whole game again? That truly sucks. I have an entire Sony PS2 Memory Card dedicated just to MGS:2 and MGS:3 saves, and I don't like this one save per game idea at all. I think it's cheap as hell, in every sense of the word, and will probably reduce the replayability of this version for me...

Onboard save memory can be expensive, and MGS3 does have to save a lot...but then again, the photo camo alone probably takes up one save slot's worth of data each. They could've given us six photo slots and included at least three save files. Ah well.

But one thing that lessens the blow is that apparently anything you unlock in one difficulty carries over to the rest - you don't need one slot for each difficulty.

Lausebub

Banned
I've never played a MGS game, would you guys recommend this game to me, when it comes out? I don't own a CPP yet, still gotta buy RE:R.
PS: Don't have problems with long cutscenes, love them. :p

I've never played a MGS game, would you guys recommend this game to me, when it comes out? I don't own a CPP yet, still gotta buy RE:R.
PS: Don't have problems with long cutscenes, love them. :p

Go for it. MGS3 is a pretty good place to start the series. You'll miss out on some references to what happens in the other games. But, as it's a prequel as well as a relatively self-contained story, it's a significantly better place to jump in than say MGS2 or MGS4.

dark10x

Can you play MGS3 in 3D anywhere else? No you can't. So does it make your statement irrelevant? Totally.
Yes, but he's noted that he has a boner for 3D content in general.

I think the game looks pretty good - it's MGS:3 all right - but the jury's still out on the 3D... I really seem to be having a love/hate relationship with my 3DS on this issue. I mean, the 3D effect is kind of cool, but with the it active I find I keep losing my visual sweet spot and the image goes all fucky on me and I have to spend time "out" of the game getting my view adjusted again, and then I play the game somemore and I'm getting into it and something interesting happens and bam! everything goes all blurrydoublevisionmessedup on me again and I have to adjust how I'm holding the system and so on and so forth, etc. ad infinitum... I had the same issue with Ocarina of Time 3D, to the point where I just played the game 2D in the end. I've resisted the urge with MGS:3D so far, but I'm not sure I'm going to stick with the 3D much longer; cool as it is, it's just such a drag to be constantly pulled out of the game to fix my POV.
This is my single biggest issue with 3DS. I find myself adjusting that damn slider constantly while playing to the point where it's a distraction. Between the tiny sweet spot and the cross talk there are just too many instances where the effect breaks down. It's almost become a negative for the system.

Mario 3D Land was perhaps one of the few games where I dealt with the 3D throughout as it really did look great, but most games go for too much depth and contrast and end up looking awful in 3D.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Just buy it.

The HD version *IS* better in almost every way and would make for a better first time experience, but you clearly don't give a shit and just want the 3DS version. Just buy that version and stop pretending like you were actually considering the HD version in the first place.

Hey, I believe that the 3DS has better 3D than the Tv sets I have tried. And, while I don't doubt that Sony's HMZ-T1 has awesome 3D, much better IQ and excellent contrast ratio, the thing is hard to find and very expensive...

About the game, I like the 3D quite a bit but the performance in the demo is borderline unacceptable. However, all this praise this port is getting is making me reconsider my position. My biggest issue right now is that the CPP wasn't released officially here and importers are charging nearly $100 USD...

marc^o^

From what I've played of the demo, my opinion is the opposite of yours dark10x. MGS3 looks great in 3D, it's one of the best use of 3D I have seen on the system.

dark10x

Hey, I believe that the 3DS has better 3D than the Tv sets I have tried. And, while I don't doubt that Sony's HMZ-T1 has awesome 3D, much better IQ and excellent contrast ratio, the thing is hard to find and very expensive...

About the game, I like the 3D quite a bit but the performance in the demo is borderline unacceptable. However, all this praise this port is getting is making me reconsider my position.
Fair enough. I love my HMZ-T1, but it really is a niche product that is quite pricey. For a 3D enthusiast, though, it's really a must have.

I'm really hoping Nintendo releases a re-designed 3DS with a larger screen that allows for a MUCH wider viewing angle. The current setup is just too restrictive.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Fair enough. I love my HMZ-T1, but it really is a niche product that is quite pricey. For a 3D enthusiast, though, it's really a must have.

I'm really hoping Nintendo releases a re-designed 3DS with a larger screen that allows for a MUCH wider viewing angle. The current setup is just too restrictive.

Hey, I would gladly pay as much as you probably did, but for me to get would be close to $2k after shipping and import taxes...

As for the 3DS, I don't have many problems with the viewing angle and but is really a shame when games do suffer of heavy crosstalk like in many instances of RE:R. Idk how would that can be fixed on a glassless display, that new Lenticular lens array ended being a bust. Maybe a better LCD barrier tech that blocks better the light?

ruxtpin

Banned
Picked this up with RE:Revelations.

It's funny, but I feel like more of the games I play nowadays are just throwbacks to what I played when I was younger. I get that MGS3D isn't changing the formula, and it's something I've already played. I get that RE:Revelations doesn't bring any genre changing mechanics to the table, but as I'm almost 30 now - I find myself wanting to play games that remind me of when I was younger. I look forward to big releases for new IPs, but games like MGS3D - they're sort-of like comfort foods.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
So what's the reason to get this over the MG HD Collection? Just 3D?

Portability (when is vita's releasing anyway? And how will they fit all those games in 8GB cards?) and 3 reviews now call this the definitive version. Take it however you want, though.

The Lamp

Portability (when is vita's releasing anyway? And how will they fit all those games in 8GB cards?) and 3 reviews now call this the definitive version. Take it however you want, though.

Hmm. I know of the exclusive control features and 3D, but I'm not sure if that'd tip me over. Thanks though.

Maxrunner

Just buy it.

Pretty awful 3D? as opposed to what really?? tv glasses???

OmegaZero

IGN-Ten Quick Thoughts on Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D: http://ds.ign.com/articles/121/1219266p1.html

The controls and framerate are actually mentioned now!
It looks like Richard is reviewing it, and apparently since Konami didn't send in a review copy pre-launch, he's still playing the game.

His impressions read like an 8 in my book but you never know.

Picked this up with RE:Revelations.

It's funny, but I feel like more of the games I play nowadays are just throwbacks to what I played when I was younger. I get that MGS3D isn't changing the formula, and it's something I've already played. I get that RE:Revelations doesn't bring any genre changing mechanics to the table, but as I'm almost 30 now - I find myself wanting to play games that remind me of when I was younger. I look forward to big releases for new IPs, but games like MGS3D - they're sort-of like comfort foods.

Very well put. I think this is the reason why I spend 90% of my time on portable systems these days.

Dragnet

Honestly can't see how anyone could call this version 'definitive'. HD, 60fps on a big screen with the original controls wins out every single day. MGS is a cinematic, engaging experience, a tiny screen is not the way to experience it.

Wolfe

Just buy it.

Cmon dude, you start to sound reasonable at one point and then you jump straight back into this heavily biased stuff.

Honestly can't see how anyone could call this version 'definitive'. HD, 60fps on a big screen with the original controls wins out every single day. MGS is a cinematic, engaging experience, a tiny screen is not the way to experience it.

Different strokes for different folks.

MGS is a cinematic, engaging experience, a tiny screen is not the way to experience it.

I can never understand this argument. You're holding that tiny screen close to your face, to the point where it's equivalent to looking at a 40 inch screen that's 6 feet away or whatever. Headphones with surround make the experience as good as your average home audio system.

As long as you can lose yourself in the experience, you're set, and I've done just that for quite a few 3DS games already.

Cmon dude, you start to sound reasonable at one point and then you jump straight back into this heavily biased stuff.

I mentioned this earlier in the demo topic but some have already made their decision on what to think of the game and wont budge in that regard, no matter how the final product is.

Because camera control on a touchscreen completely and utterly sucks. There were many DS games that needed cam controls and the developers tried to incorporate them to the touchscreen. It's just a horrible mess. You need to have your finger remember the center position for it to register properly, otherwise you will be flipping the camera left or back when you were needing to see forward. It's just completely awful. With your eyes fixated on the top screen you can't be looking where your finger is on the touchscreen the whole time. Hell, just try play Super Mario 64 DS with touchscreen controls to get a reminder on how awful this is.

This is the best control setup with the standard 3DS input. The touchscreen is being used in a smart and useful way for things that are not life or death type situations.

If you have even basic motoric skills, aiming and controlling a camera with the touchscreen is a non issue. Hell, all the FPS games I played on the DS controlled just fine.

SM64DS used the touchscreen for walking, that's a whole different aspect.

I played through COD4, Dementium 1 and 2 and Brothers in Arms just fine on the DS. Touch screen camera control works just fine if you take the one second to adjust to its heightened sensitivity. Hell compared to crappy analog sticks it offers a much higher level of precision and speed anyway. And even then you'd still have enough space on the touchscreen for all the buttons they've allready thrown on there.

Now walking or simulating an analog stick, that truly sucks on touch screens. But I never suggested to do that either as the virtual analog stick implementation simply sucks. But aiming doesn't use that virtual analog stick at all.

The standard control scheme simply sucks monkey balls, and is barely playable without the copious amounts of aiming aids and massive hit boxes.
KojiPro isn't exactly known for comprehensive and intuitive controls, and the standard controls really show this deficiency. Hell even playing MGS4 i often felt like I was playing a PS1 early 3D game with HD graphics.
Beside the writing, the unintuitive controls are my biggest gripe about the MGS series.

Dragnet

I can never understand this argument. You're holding that tiny screen close to your face, to the point where it's equivalent to looking at a 40 inch screen that's 6 feet away or whatever. Headphones with surround make the experience as good as your average home audio system.

As long as you can lose yourself in the experience, you're set, and I've done just that for quite a few 3DS games already.

But that doesn't make sense. I'm still watching it a small screen that has less detail than my HDTV. There's a reason we go the Cinema. Comfort comes into play too, isn't it better to be laid back on a sofa, with a controller in your lap than to be crunched up, holding a device still so you don't lose the 3D effect with headphones that can get annoying after long periods of play?

But that doesn't make sense. I'm still watching it a small screen that has less detail than my HDTV. There's a reason we go the Cinema. Comfort comes into play too, isn't it better to be laid back on a sofa, with a controller in your lap than to be crunched up, holding a device still so you don't lose the 3D effect with headphones that can get annoying after long periods of play?

The 3D effect zone for me is pretty big. I can pretty much hold it in a very relaxed position with no issue.

The hyperbole in this thread is crazy; difference strokes for different folks, people.

If you want MGS3 on a big screen, you've got that; if you want it on the go, you've got that too. Sheesh.

Wolfe

Well apparently you're doing it wrong! :p

You brought up a good point though about the size of the screen relative to the viewing distance and it's something I've thought about before in that the only thing you lose is resolution and personally for a screen that's 12 inches from my face the resolution is more than fine.

I can maintain the 3D with zero effort, it is not a problem at all. The cinematic aspects of MGS3 are greatly enhanced by it, it's amazing to see defeated Ocelot's hand flop down in front of the camera or bullets flying around. Headphones don't annoy me in the least either.

It comes down to personal preference but honestly, screen size has nothing to do with experiencing something cinematic. When the screen takes up the majority of your vision, it's all you're focusing on. You can complain about resolution, since that is one thing that's apparent, but for the sake of argument a 6 inch 1080p screen with headphones would be no less enjoyable to me than watching a movie at home.

jtrov

Definitely agree with this sentiment. Many times I forgot I was even playing on a handheld while I was playing Resident Evil: Revelations; only really "waking" up when my hands started to cramp, lol. Once you lose yourself to the experience, it feels like any other game, or at least it does for me. Personally for me, it makes no difference if a game is on a handheld, phone, console, or PC.

Regardless, I'm enjoying Snake Eater 3DS. The 3D is so well done throughout and it adds such a nice "pop" to the cutscenes. Also really enjoying the additions, like no HUD on the top screen and being able to use the touch pad for item management. Gameplay additions such as crouch walking, really help with the stealth. Being able to hide behind waist level cover, but still given the freedom of movement certainly helps in certain sections.

No doubt though the game could certainly run better, but it hasn't hindered my enjoyment at all.

Wolfe

Definitely agree with this sentiment. Many times I forgot I was even playing on a handheld while I was playing Resident Evil: Revelations; only really "waking" up when my hands started to cramp, lol. Once you lose yourself to the experience, it feels like any other game, or at least it does for me. Personally for me, it makes no difference if a game is on a handheld, phone, console, or PC.

Regardless, I'm enjoying Snake Eater 3DS. The 3D is so well done throughout and it adds such a nice "pop" to the cutscenes. Also really enjoying the additions, like no HUD on the top screen and being able to use the touch pad for item management. Gameplay additions such as crouch walking, really help with the stealth. Being able to hide behind waist level cover, but still given the freedom of movement certainly helps in certain sections.

No doubt though the game could certainly run better, but it hasn't hindered my enjoyment at all.

Yeah I get why some people might have hangups about resolution but to me we're at a point where the 3DS is considered on the low res side of current gen gaming and I'm fine with that. After the PS2 resolution became a much lower concern of mine, sure I love pretty games but I'm not going to prevent myself from enjoying a handheld version of a game because it's not HD or something.

Chuckpebble

How would you guys fix the regular controls?

What would you say to X = actions, B = crouch/stand, and Y/A controls the camera left and right? Then map vertical camera movement to the d-pad...?

Why not just swap what the circle pad and face buttons do? That's pretty much how I played Goldeneye on the N64. Was really surprised there was no option for that.

jtrov

Yeah I get why some people might have hangups about resolution but to me we're at a point where the 3DS is considered on the low res side of current gen gaming and I'm fine with that. After the PS2 resolution became a much lower concern of mine, sure I love pretty games but I'm not going to prevent myself from enjoying a handheld version of a game because it's not HD or something.

Yeah I agree. I can see both sides of the spectrum on this topic. The only thing I don't understand is when phrases like, "Why does this exist?", begin to be thrown around. Options are never a bad thing in my opinion. Playing MGS3 in 3D is a pretty unique experience to me, even as someone who has already played this game multiple times to completion. For me a resolution change such as HD, doesn't really change the game much, but I can understand why it exists and how it appeals to others.

dark10x

Pretty awful 3D? as opposed to what really?? tv glasses???
The Sony HMZ-T1. Yeah, it's bulky, but the effect is infinitely superior to any TV on the market or the 3DS. Two OLED screens (one per eye) in an isolated visor. Full brightness per eye, zero cross talk, and the feeling of viewing a massive screen. Once you experience it it becomes difficult to go back to anything else.

The glasses free technology just isn't where it needs to be (on TVs as well as the 3DS). The field of view is still too narrow and cross talk remains a big problem.

It's more of a frustrated response to that poster.

He created a topic asking which version to play first and nearly every single person said "HD version". It's the best way to first experience the game.

However, it soon became clear that there was more of an agenda and he already had his mind set on the 3DS version from the beginning. Just the way he went about it annoyed me.

The 3DS version isn't that bad, though. I just don't think it would be the best place to first experience MGS3.

CROUCH WALKING

I tried the demo and found it unplayable.

Wtf is with the controls?

Nintendo should really make something that allows these types of games to play better.

dark10x

CROUCH WALKING
...doesn't actually change the gameplay that much. The AI doesn't seem to have been adjusted and react the same way to crouch walking and simply walking. It's a nice feature, I agree, but you can tell it was added to the game after the fact.

Third person aiming, however, is an awesome addition.

...doesn't actually change the gameplay that much. The AI doesn't seem to have been adjusted and react the same way to crouch walking and simply walking. It's a nice feature, I agree, but you can tell it was added to the game after the fact.

Can't you hide behind waist-high objects?

marc^o^

The glasses free technology just isn't where it needs to be (on TVs as well as the 3DS). The field of view is still too narrow and cross talk remains a big problem.
I must say the perspective of rediscovering our 3DS library on the 2nd generation of the console is a very nice thought. Still, as unperfect as it is now, glassless 3D is awesome.

dark10x

Can't you hide behind waist-high objects?
There aren't exactly a lot of those objects in the game, from what I recall, and those that were could already be hidden behind originally.

The map design and AI simply was created with crouch walking in mind so it ultimately changes little.

pa22word

Just beat it.

last fight ran at about an average 20-25 fps. Oh and the ending is prerendered too.

because of this, you can't see the little ocelot easter egg in the scene with Snake and the president

Top Bottom