• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 Limited Edition Details - US Version

Schrade

Heh. I preordered mine tonight and I had a different experience. One guy behind the counter was going to buy a PS3 (the MGS4 bundle). The other guy was chatting about the original games being in The Essential Collection (which I was buying at the time) and thought that the second disc of Subsistance was in there. I informed him otherwise. They didn't seem to be dickish about the PS3 as many people are.

I have never owned a PS2 and never played Metal Gear Solid anything before... so tonight I started my adventure in Metal Gear Solid :)

I stopped at the part where I'm with (I assume) Meryl and we have to keep trying to kill waves of guards coming in. Frustrating!

Blablurn

Schrade said:
I stopped at the part where I'm with (I assume) Meryl and we have to keep trying to kill waves of guards coming in. Frustrating!

I played the games a thousend times but where exactly do you fight with Meryl against the soldiers? I just remember the scene where you run up the tower while fighting a huge group of soldiers. And you do it on your own.

Schrade

Blablurn said:
I played the games a thousend times but where exactly do you fight with Meryl against the soldiers? I just remember the scene where you run up the tower while fighting a huge group of soldiers. And you do it on your own.
I'm assuming it's Meryl
since she was in the cell next to me. I just found the DARPA guy and he died. Then she comes out, strips the clothes off a guard and dresses in them and she opens my cell door. Now we have to kill waves of guards.

SamuraiX-

I think he's talking about the very beginning of the game where Meryl jumps Sasaki and steals his uniform and then while Snake and her are arguing, the door opens and the room is flooded with waves of soldiers.

That part can be stressful on harder difficulties, but it's kinda sad if that's the part of the game that made you quit. There are quite a few harder challenges later on.

Schrade

SamuraiX- said:
I think he's talking about the very beginning of the game where Meryl jumps Sasaki and steals his uniform and then while Snake and her are arguing, the door opens and the room is flooded with waves of soldiers.

That part can be stressful on harder difficulties, but it's kinda sad if that's the part of the game that made you quit. There are quite a few harder challenges later on.
Haha no, it didn't make me quit playing the game for good. I just stopped there because it got a little frustrating. I kept dying and it has to restart back in the cell and then you have to wait to be let out and then skip a cut scene and then by that time I've lost any and all rhythm with my aiming the damn gun so I keep dying.

Blablurn

duk said:
i've never played an MGS game, is it okay to start with 4 and work my way back?

you're going to miss the background of 3 games. Of course there will be many flashbacks in MGS4 but nothing is better than replaying the first titles.

Schrade

Blablurn said:
ah, okay. lol - on which difficulty do play this game? i mean...just shoot at the enemies.
I'm on normal. I suck at aiming with the analog sticks. I cannot play first person shooters at all with them. I'm a keyboard/mouse guy so it's really tough for me to get used to aiming on consoles.

Blablurn

Schrade said:
I'm on normal. I suck at aiming with the analog sticks. I cannot play first person shooters at all with them. I'm a keyboard/mouse guy so it's really tough for me to get used to aiming on consoles.

ah, ok. so you're playing the gamecube version, right? hm.. how about shooting without going into the ego-perspective. I forget how they managed it in the GC version but in the ps1 version aims by himself.

Schrade

Blablurn said:
ah, ok. so you're playing the gamecube version, right? hm.. how about shooting without going into the ego-perspective. I forget how they managed it in the GC version but in the ps1 version aims by himself.
Uh, no. I don't buy Nintendo consoles :p I'm playing on my PS3.

Blablurn

lol, okay. because you talked about first person games on consoles I thought you got the GC version which supports the first person mode in MGS1 where you can shoot at the enemies.

so, just shoot at the soldiers. after a short time meryl starts to help you.

Yoboman

duk said:
damn my 40gber! grrr
You don't have a PS2?

Well I'd get a cheap one or something, but if you can't they're making it so it'll be easier for new-comers to understand with small flashbacks and such. Definitely not the best idea to start with 4 though IMO

duk

Banned
Yoboman said:
You don't have a PS2?

Well I'd get a cheap one or something, but if you can't they're making it so it'll be easier for new-comers to understand with small flashbacks and such. Definitely not the best idea to start with 4 though IMO

i hear what you're saying... maybe i'll google/youtube the story lines....

Yoboman

duk said:
i hear what you're saying... maybe i'll google/youtube the story lines....
I guess. That's nothing like experiencing the game though. It'd be like reading a synopsis of a movie

KTallguy

Banned
I finally preordered the LE at Gamestop.
The clerk had no clue about beta keys etc.
I wonder what I should do ... follow up with them in April?

Costanza

Banned
Schrade said:
Haha no, it didn't make me quit playing the game for good. I just stopped there because it got a little frustrating. I kept dying and it has to restart back in the cell and then you have to wait to be let out and then skip a cut scene and then by that time I've lost any and all rhythm with my aiming the damn gun so I keep dying.
DUDE THERE'S AUTO AIM. hahahahaha

:lol :lol :lol :lol , this took me like 2 hours to figure out on that part, and I can't believe someone else had the same bit of frustration.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Blablurn said:
you're going to miss the background of 3 games. Of course there will be many flashbacks in MGS4 but nothing is better than replaying the first titles.

I don't think flashbacks will help him much, they're not as extensive. He's bound to miss something. It's like watching flashback for latest episodes of Star Wars movie. :p

Link

The Autumn Wind
Schrade said:
Just stand to the side of the door and flank them as they come in.

You never owned a PS2 or a Nintendo console? How old are you?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Schrade said:
For some reason I had a problem with that part when I was playing the game too - but I realized it was only because I was overdoing it. I was trying some strategies, trying to aim precisely at them and whatnot. But all you have to do really is to quickly point stick towards them, then release it so that you're still facing them, and start shooting - autoaim is in place and you'll hit them all the time. Move closer to grab ammo every now and then between the waves, then run back further from them, point stick back at them and continue shooting.

kuYuri

I can't believe this thread is 20 pages long already. :lol

It would be great if we could start an official MGS4 thread early to contain everything there.

Schrade

Costanza said:
DUDE THERE'S AUTO AIM. hahahahaha

:lol :lol :lol :lol , this took me like 2 hours to figure out on that part, and I can't believe someone else had the same bit of frustration.
What! OK, now I'm going to have to go find your original posts when you were playing the game and find out how! I was reading your gameplay posts but didn't let too much sink in for fear of spoilers hehe.

Fletcher

Schrade said:
What! OK, now I'm going to have to go find your original posts when you were playing the game and find out how! I was reading your gameplay posts but didn't let too much sink in for fear of spoilers hehe.

You just kind of half push the fire button. That is if I remember correctly.

Struct09

I got my Saga v2 disc today from Gamecrazy, and had an interesting experience.

When I first said "I'd like to preorder MGS4" the girl asked, "For which system?" I assumed she accidentally misspoke, so I laughed and said "Well, it's only coming out for PS3." To which she replied, "No, they announced an Xbox 360 version too". I almost decided to take the asshole route and say, "Well, let's preorder that version then!" but to avoid headaches I told her to just make it the PS3 version.

I then said that I wanted the Limited Edition, to which she replied "Oh, the LE has been canceled." I asked, "You mean Gamecrazy isn't going to get it?". She said, "Nope, they're not going to make it any more, only a regular version". Again to avoid a headache, I just said "OK, that's fine".

Gotta love video game store clerks :p I used to be one (EBGames), and I don't remember being so misinformed.

Struct09 said:

When I first said "I'd like to preorder MGS4" the girl asked, "For which system?" I assumed she accidentally misspoke, so I laughed and said "Well, it's only coming out for PS3." To which she replied, "No, they announced an Xbox 360 version too". I almost decided to take the asshole route and say, "Well, let's preorder that version then!" but to avoid headaches I told her to just make it the PS3 version.

I then said that I wanted the Limited Edition, to which she replied "Oh, the LE has been canceled." I asked, "You mean Gamecrazy isn't going to get it?". She said, "Nope, they're not going to make it only more, only a regular version". Again to avoid a headache, I just said "OK, that's fine".

Gotta love video game store clerks :p I used to be one (EBGames), and I don't remember being so misinformed.

The "LE being canceled thing" is a corporate thing throughout all Gamecrazy's. The clerk isn't being ignorant or uninformed, that's what they've been told.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
distantmantra said:
The "LE being canceled thing" is a corporate thing throughout all Gamecrazy's. The clerk isn't being ignorant or uninformed, that's what they've been told.

Store exclusive then.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Struct09 said:

I then said that I wanted the Limited Edition, to which she replied "Oh, the LE has been canceled." I asked, "You mean Gamecrazy isn't going to get it?". She said, "Nope, they're not going to make it only more, only a regular version". Again to avoid a headache, I just said "OK, that's fine".

Still doesn't beat the GameCrazy employee who tried to tell me he was shown a "secret beta" of MGS4 running on XB360. lulz

Struct09

distantmantra said:

Yeah, that's what I assumed. But she did tell me that only a normal version is going to exist, which we know isn't the case (sounds like the LE is a store exclusive). I also have the LE reserved at EBGames.

RaidenZR

I preordered the Limited Edition on Monday of this week with zero knowledge of any possible discs or anything. Yesterday I returned to the same store to inquire about the Saga disc and beta codes and such, and the clerks said they had been getting calls non-stop about it. Regardless, they had no materials in-store and said considering the demand they might have to call all those people who individually laid money down to make sure they know they can come get them. They were aware of the situation to an extent but just weren't sure about when they'd get anything. They made it abundantly clear to me they hadn't gotten jack yet.

So, I'm just relaying that all to you guys. Dunno if anyone else's Gamestops/EB's are telling them otherwise.

BR, Louisiana have no clue except they say the bonus dvd is coming when the game is out :lol

I'll wait next week around mid week to call again. Let UPS drive around the rain :lol

KTallguy

Banned
Guled said:
Kind of OT, but should I play mgs:po to fully understand the story, or is not need?

I think it's a great game and worth playing.
The story contained in the game is also important.

However I think you can get away with not playing it and be ok.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
So some West Coast GameCrazies got the disc, yeah? Have any EB/GS stores yet to receive it?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Kagari

Is the metal gear solid LE only available from gamecrazy and gamestop or will best buy, CC, walmart, amazon.com also carry the LE?

News Bot

Banned
Is there absolutely no set date for the pre-order being in-stock, or is it just "lol April"?

I'm jealous of those that already have them. Lucky sods. ;_;

Nightz

Just called my local Game Crazy and they said they have their Saga discs in, so I'm heading over there to reserve MGS4 and pick up my copy of the bonus disc. :D

News Bot

Banned
Nightz said:
Just called my local Game Crazy and they said they have their Saga discs in, so I'm heading over there to reserve MGS4 and pick up my copy of the bonus disc. :D

Wow, what is it with Game Crazy getting them so early? XD. I'd expect GameStop to have them first.

Preordered the LE version at a Gamestop today. I'll just decline the preorder I placed at Gamecrazy when the game comes in. I got the Saga disc from GC, so if Gamestop comes through, I'll just give away the second disc to someone.

Top Bottom