• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid Movie Announced

KarmaCow

Yea MGS rightfully gets shit for its long cutscenes but Kojima actually did some interesting stuff with the gameplay and the player that wouldn't be the same just watching it.

Tookay

MGS3 is the best game and story in the series, the Boss/Big Boss story is decent and self-contained enough to possibly be covered in a 90 minute movie. With a few re-writes, the characters of Snake and Boss could be expanded on further, giving the actors something to get their teeth into.

It would be a better start to a film franchise than fighting a series of successive bosses and your own evil twin brother, or fighting a fatman on roller skates on an oil rig. No disrespect to MGS1 or 2 there, I like them too, but MGS3 is grounded enough to have the best chance in surviving a transition into a decent movie.

This makes sense.

So of course it won't happen.

Instead it will be able how a family in the international thieving community deals with fighting bad guys who steal priceless treasures and star Mark Wahlberg.

MGS3 is the best game and story in the series, the Boss/Big Boss story is decent and self-contained enough to possibly be covered in a 90 minute movie. With a few re-writes, the characters of Snake and Boss could be expanded on further, giving the actors something to get their teeth into.

i like you

He finally did it. One long cutscene.

shaq-1577v.gif

Neff

Luc Besson.

Kojima's a fan, some of the MGS scenes stole Besson's style verbatim, plus he needs a comeback picture.

Jawmuncher

Considering a MGS movie was announced or talekd about at the 20th annievrsary, I don't have much hope that this'll get made. Will probably stay in devlopment hell.

However I would love to see a movie, especially done right by a big studio.

If not David, then Christian Bale has my vote.

I know it's a fanboy wet dream to see David Hayter as Snake. But chances of that happening are slim to non, since he isn't exactly a headlining name.

But Hayter as the script writer would be the perfect choice. he already did a good job with the X-men 1 and 2 scripts, and the Watchmen script was handled rather well too. The guy knows how to translate a script over to the big screen. Plus he knows the Metal Gear Solid mythos and characters from front to back by now.

But as we all know, the people in charge of the production will probably never get him as the screenwriter. It just makes to much sense for it to happen. here's hoping they can find someone competent to write it.

I want the the movie to be just live actors running (and failing repeatedly) through the VR missions in MGS 1 and 2. The sequel can then be a version of "Snake vs. Monkey."

You know what I love about MGS games? The gameplay.

You know what I don't so much love about MGS games? The absurdly over-the-top cutscenes and the inconsistent writing.

Yeah, a movie is a great idea.

Happy for the fans who will enjoy it. I'll definitely watch it. This is Columbia Pictures though, so there will be tons of Sony product placement. I just hope it doesn't hurt the movie. I know product placements annoy me a lot and take me out of a film. Here's hoping it doesn't have a lot of them.

I'm very curious to see how this movie will turn out.

sonicmj1

I honestly don't know how they can simultaneously be true to the universe and still produce a good live-action movie. Even an MGS3 adaptation would probably require them excising basically the entire Cobra unit.

I don't think this will end well.

Avi Arad also has the rights to movies based on Uncharted, Infamous, and Twisted Metal, and I have no idea how any of those projects are going.

I know it's a fanboy wet dream to see David Hayter as Snake. But chances of that happening are slim to non, since he isn't exactly a headlining name.

But Hayter as the script writer would be the perfect choice. he already did a good job with the X-men 1 and 2 scripts, and the Watchmen script was handled rather well too. The guy knows how to translate a script over to the big screen. Plus he knows the Metal Gear Solid mythos and characters from front to back by now.

But as we all know, the people in charge of the production will probably never get him as the screenwriter. It just makes to much sense for it to happen. here's hoping they can find someone competent to write it.

IIRC Hayter was linked to write the script for MGS movie when it was first announced but it never happened. Honestly I'm very doubtful that he would be involved this time round. Guess that was the adrenaline talking from all the excitement.

I can imagine Kojima being very involved in the development of the script maybe even right down to casting choices.

Jawmuncher

I honestly don't know how they can simultaneously be true to the universe and still produce a good live-action movie. Even an MGS3 adaptation would probably require them excising basically the entire Cobra unit.

I don't think this will end well.

Avi Arad also has the rights to movies based on Uncharted, Infamous, and Twisted Metal, and I have no idea how any of those projects are going.

Uncharted is the only one even moving at this point
National treaure writers were hired recently to rewrite script.
Everything else has just been sitting around.

I'm just having a hard time believing this be the game-to-movie adaptation that proves the transition can produce something other than crap. Call me crazy!

Think about the movies Kojima draws inspiration from when he writes the MGS games. If this turns out anything close to those, the BEST we can hope for is one of the better Michael Bay movies. (It ain't gonna be The Rock, either. Sorry.)

This guy seems to be taking a LOT of video game movies on board. Sources note he's also got Mass Effect, Uncharted and inFAMOUS. I hope for the sake of fans of this series it'll be good!

Ein Bear

Meh, movie adaptions of games seem to get announced every month, and nothing ever happens.

Until it actually starts filming, I wont believe it's happening. Just throw it on the pile with the Halo movie, the Bioshock movie, the Assassin's Creed movie, the Mass Effect movie, the Gears of War movie, etc.

Jawmuncher

Meh, movie adaptions of games seem to get announced every month, and nothing ever happens.

Until it actually starts filming, I wont believe it's happening. Just throw it on the pile with the Halo movie, the Bioshock movie, the Assassin's Creed movie, the Mass Effect movie, the Gears of War movie, etc.

Don't forget Devil may Cry

Epcott

Quick, spam Hideo's twitter to get him to hire Hayter to write screen play.

I fear it falling into the hands of Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci.

Isn't Avi Arad the guy who bought the rights to the Mass Effect movie a while back, and wanted to get a movie out as quick as possible?

Top Bottom