• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid - The Naked Sample 3DS [N-CONF]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Red Blaster said:
Snake was supposed to be in his mid 30s in MGS3, or so I thought.
Ah, you're right, Kojima set his birthday as 1935 so he would be 29 in SE.

Odd, because I distinctly remember the leaked casting calls for MGS3 describing Naked Snake as being in his 40s or early 50s. Then again, that was probably because Big Boss' original story in MG2: Solid Snake had him participating in World War II in his 20s, which was retconned later as being the Korean War.

butzopower

proud of his butz
Epcott said:
Maybe that's what the touch screen is for?

Also... if you need to tilt the 3DS to change camera angles, won't that distort the 3D effect, since (so I've heard) you must look directly at the screen, and moving to an angle makes the image fuzzy (or distorted). That might be a little jarring.

I'll admit I forgot this thing was still a DS for a second. For what Kojima is going to do though, you wouldn't tilt the screen, he'll just force the player to turn the 3D effect dial down to give them whatever bullshit immersive feeling they somehow didn't see coming
AND MAKE ME SHIT MY PANTS

Boney

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
Honestly, I thought Naked Snake looked a bit too young in MGS3. He was supposed to be in his 40s or something, right? Yet he looked as young as the 10-years-younger Solid Snake.
He's 29 I think. Looks kinda old in this version though.

EmCeeGramr said:
Ah, you're right, Kojima set his birthday as 1935 so he would be 29 in SE.

Odd, because I distinctly remember the leaked casting calls for MGS3 describing Naked Snake as being in his 40s or early 50s. Then again, that was probably because Big Boss' original story in MG2: Solid Snake had him participating in World War II in his 20s, which was retconned later as being the Korean War.

Yeah, thought so. Considering The Boss is supposed to be in her early 40s (Her tombstone says she was born in 192X) I knew he couldn't be that old. Plus he'd be pushing 60 in Peace Walker, heh.

Boney

Banned
Red Blaster said:
Yeah, thought so. Considering The Boss is supposed to be in her early 40s (Her tombstone says she was born in 192X) I knew he couldn't be that old. Plus he'd be pushing 60 in Peace Walker, heh.
SNAKELOL.jpg

jett

D-Member
Boney said:
He's 29 I think. Looks kinda old in this version though.

The model in this tech demo is based on the Peace Walker model, where he is 10 years older...so yeah, I expect it to be different in the final game.

Red Blaster said:
MG1 and MG2 took place in the 90s, so it made sense that he'd be in his late 70s-80s there since he looked like an old man. :p

jett said:
The model in this tech demo is based on the Peace Walker model, where he is 10 years older...so yeah, I expect it to be different in the final game.
Hopefully it is. But it does look like it has more going on in the hair and on the face in terms of polys.

I remember with MGS3 Big Boss actually looked pretty different when they first showed the game. It wasn't until just before the game was released that they changed his face to look more like Solid Snake. In the intro movie you can still see the old model though.

Erdrick

I know I will buy this game because I love Metal Gear and all, but I'm kind of disappointed that it's basically an enhanced port... I'd sooner a spinoff or something new.

Don't get me wrong, MGS3 was fantastic and all, and I am curious/eager to try this, but I'm still thinking that this is somewhat of a waste. I'm torn on this, really.

If they want to port old MG games, do the 2 originals. They could use it the most. I know that's not likely to happen due to cost/interest and obviously, it's easier to bring over something like MGS3 that is still basically up to today's modern standards when compared to MG and MG2:SS. I'd still love to see these redone with full voices,cutscenes and a fixed up/retconned plot to match the later games in terms of consistency.

Still, portable MGS3... I guess I have a reason to buy a 3DS now.

So I was thinking what other crazy things could Kojima cook up on the DS, and the first thing that came to my mind...

Z.O.E 3DS!!!

Make it happen Kojima!

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Come to think of it, I hope they add some pretty serious additional content in the game, that'd make it worthwhile.

Some more buildings for inside sneaking would be cool

Retcons are going to be sick. Sokolov will probably talk about his American friend Huey and how he suggested the Shagohod be called Pupa.

God damn at that video. I don't know why, but when the bee showed up, I was really impressed for some reason, like there was this sense of depth to the image even though I was watching a video of it. Seeing it in person must be fucking mind blowing...

GDGF

Soothsayer
Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
God damn at that video. I don't know why, but when the bee showed up, I was really impressed for some reason, like there was this sense of depth to the image even though I was watching a video of it. Seeing it in person must be fucking mind blowing...

I know what you mean. There's some kind of fixed focus residual 3D in that video that is occasional detectable in the same way that 3D is still detectable in a few 3D prototype videos we've seen on youtube (the wiimote/baseball cap experiment done by the guy that Microsoft hired springs to mind) but it must be mind blowing to see the full effect with two eyes instead of through a camera lens.

SamuraiX-

sinnergy said:
Only the Xbox like graphics on a handheld system, no biggie :lol

Xbox like? Take it easy... :lol

I see it now. Yeah, that truly is impressive. Does anyone have a hardware spec sheet of what Nintendo is running this thing with?

At first I thought people were gawking over the 3D graphics, which to me feels like just a gimmick that will get boring sooner than later. I really want to see the hardware for that thing though...

Erigu

EmCeeGramr said:
I distinctly remember the leaked casting calls for MGS3 describing Naked Snake as being in his 40s or early 50s.
Actually:
SNAKE
Male, 30s, Standard English. His real name is Jack. Naked Snake is the code name he uses in the Virtuous Rescue Mission and during Snake Eater operation. He will later be given the name, Big Boss and be called Big Boss in the future. 6'5" high, and his physical constitution are thick like 'Schwarzenegger'. He has more of an "all mighty", tough fighting style. He is a persistent, highly independant hero. FOX(Force Operations X), the special forces team that Snake serves with in MGS3, will eventually becomes the unique special forces team, "FOX-HOUND", formed at the end of the 20th century for solo infiltration and destruction.
And as others have said, according to Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker, it looks like he was actually 28 or 29 back then...

Anyway, I agree that he looks too old: his model is far too similar to the one used in Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker, set 10 years later.
I'm not a big fan of that 3D model of the Boss either, actually...

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Yeah the Xbox graphics comment is a bit wild, but what can you expect during E3.

Yeah you will never be able to see the 3D from the 3DS until you see one in person though, which is sad.

entremet

SamuraiX- said:
Xbox like? Take it easy... :lol

I see it now. Yeah, that truly is impressive. Does anyone have a hardware spec sheet of what Nintendo is running this thing with?

At first I thought people were gawking over the 3D graphics, which to me feels like just a gimmick that will get boring sooner than later. I really want to see the hardware for that thing though...
They're not available. Nintendo's keeping them under wraps.

Motherfuc.....whelp, now I have no choice to get a 3DS at all next year. I'll run over your grandparents to get this!

Visuals are amazing, and since it's port of MGS3, in my hands! I guess I shouldn't be surprised, MGS3 looks amazing on the PS2.

Erigu said:
Actually:

And as others have said, according to Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker, it looks like he was actually 28 or 29 back then...

Anyway, I agree that he looks too old: his model is far too similar to the one used in Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker, set 10 years later.
I'm not a big fan of that 3D model of the Boss either, actually...
Man, my memory has been shot lately. :p :lol

SamuraiX-

entrement said:
They're not available. Nintendo's keeping them under wraps.

Not surprising. Whatever they have under the hood is shelling out what looks like the best graphical quality ever on a handheld system. They'll probably keep it a secret until launch. :lol

jsnepo

Real time cutscenes please. Not that I hate the comic book style, but I really prefer the real time cutscenes especially for MGS3. That's how I remember the game the most. OTS aiming is also a nice addition.

Hmm. Well I never did grab Subsistence, and MGS3 might be my favorite of the MGS games I've played, so if it has the Subsistence extra stuff, I might grab it.

In all honesty I would prefer a 3DS remake of the incredibly good Ghost Babel.

Shred0r

Banned
Hahaha, being attacked by this swarm of killer beas in 3D might force me to do some hilariously looking hysterical hand movements in front of me what will make me look to others as if am actually playing with Kinect :)

Azure Rathalos

Neo Member
Hellsing321 said:
So I was thinking what other crazy things could Kojima cook up on the DS, and the first thing that came to my mind...

Z.O.E 3DS!!!

Make it happen Kojima!

This will make me buy a 3DS. Or a DS for that matter.

Come on Kojima :(

Hellsing321 said:

Z.O.E 3DS!!!

Make it happen Kojima!
I was wowed by how many franchises Nintendo is getting on the 3DS, incluiding reviving many of thier old ones. This is definitely a situation where anything is possible.

Marvie_3

Banned
Do want! Kid Icarus was more than enough to sell me on the 3DS. This is just the 2 foot thick layer of icing on the cake. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom