• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid - The Naked Sample 3DS [N-CONF]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
dark10x said:
Was anyone able to comment on the pixel density of the screen? I'm curious how high of a resolution they are aiming for. With the new iPhone featuring a super high-res screen I would be disappointing if Nintendo weren't aiming for something similar (perhaps not THAT high, but more in line with an Android phone would be good).
IIRC 800x240 (400x240 for each eye) top screen, 320x240 bottom screen.

Wazzim

Banned
Looks to run at a VERY smooth framerate, take note, Peace Walker runs below 30FPS most of the time.
Oh and the PSP is a 5 year old handheld, can't wait to see what PSP2 will bring.

Getting this day1.

Ryuuga

Banned
kswiston said:
While I agree with everyone that the 3DS has noticeably superior graphics to the PSP, I think the point a lot of people are making is, after 6 years, the gap should be this big, if not bigger. PSP launched at the end of 2004. 3DS is launching at the end of 2010. That's the same as the time difference between the PS1 and PS2, or the PS2 and PS3.

I am happy with the graphical quality we are seeing from the 3DS. It looks to be something between PS2 and Xbox1, which is perfect for the type of games I am looking to get on it (jrpgs, platformers, puzzle games). Never having to play a game with DS-level polygon counts again is a good thing. However, "gamecube-level" graphics is on the low end of what we should be expecting from a 2010 handheld, so I am not sure why everyone is acting amazed. Even ignoring the PSP, if DS could do N64+ graphics in 2004, 3DS SHOULD be doing Gamecube+ graphics in 2010.

Wow, so that time gap seems to heavily affect how things should look on this handheld huh? Why exactly should this have Gamecube+ graphics in 2010? Even if some believe what has been shown isn't on par with what Gamecube/Xbox are capable of, who is to say that it never will be? I know the 3D aspect of these games aren't a huge sell for people who haven't experienced it firsthand, but I believe that is the primary focus. To me it just feels like you and others are completely missing the point.

Jex

Jocchan said:
His post was a response to the link you just posted.

And it's inherently a ridiculous statement. Why would a simple tech demo be up on the main Konami E3 website as one of their big three games?

Imagine trying to start your car in the morning, and it doesn't work. You don't then jump to the conclusion that a band of rouge clowns have stolen your engine. There's probably an explanation that makes more sense.

StuBurns

Banned
Ryuuga said:
Wow, so that time gap seems to heavily affect how things should look on this handheld huh? Why exactly should this have Gamecube+ graphics in 2010? Even if some believe what has been shown isn't on par with what Gamecube/Xbox are capable of, who is to say that it never will be? I know the 3D aspect of these games aren't a huge sell for people who haven't experienced it firsthand, but I believe that is the primary focus. To me it just feels like you and others are completely missing the point.
I disagree anyone is missing the point. Nintendo don't do cutting edge, they do innovation. The 3DS is phenomenal, I will buy one the second I can, it's going to finally murder Sony's handheld attempts and Nintendo are going to make more money then they know what to do with.

But I am not stunned by it at all. It's lower res than I imagined, the image quality should be be better at this point. Graphically it's what I expected, maybe a little underwhelming, but the more I see the better it's looking.

It looks good, but I can't imagine why people are 'holy shit'ing all over the place, it looks like a ten year old console, which is cool, but I have no idea why it's surprising to people.

As for this game in particular. It could end up being the best game Kojima ever made. Subsistence without micromanagement, and camo which is instant via the touch screen would make huge strides forward alone. I'm a little concerned about the controls, but I have hope. I'm mostly disappointed to see Kojima making another fucking Metal Gear game, but I guess it's a much smaller project in terms of design work.

Looks awesome, as does the platform, but none of it is surprising to me.

Jexhius said:
Where do these insane, nonsensical statements come from? I can't even fathom.

http://www.konami.jp/kojima_pro/e3_2010/en/index_en.html

I'm sure it's all par of some conspiracy. It probably doesn't exist, Kojima's just messing with your mind!

Dude, there's nothing there: No interview with Kojima CONFIRMING it's a REAL title. no press release. It's kinda like Kojima's Wii Game.... I'm still waiting for this one by the way. When Metal Gear Solid 3 is CONFIRMED as a Full GAME, and not Kojima playing around with the hardware, then we'll see.

Hey at least Capcom issued a press release about Revelations on 3ds. I haven't seen such a thing anywhere else for Metal Gear Solid 3ds.

My guess is, Metal Gear Solid 3 for 3ds is simply a tech demo... We might get a real MGS title for the 3ds but not in the form of Metal Gear Solid 3.

lherre

Accurate
Wazzim said:
Looks to run at a VERY smooth framerate, take note, Peace Walker runs below 30FPS most of the time.
Oh and the PSP is a 5 year old handheld, can't wait to see what PSP2 will bring.

Getting this day1.

Is a video with no gameplay, only camera change and 3D effect ... not AI, not physics, not other elements.

We can't judge MGS3D for a tech demo (not now) and same with framerate and other things.

Is sure that it would be playable on TGS (I hope) and we could judge properly.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Jocchan said:
IIRC 800x240 (400x240 for each eye) top screen, 320x240 bottom screen.
Right. The screen may be 800x240, but the effective resolution is 400x240 which is lower than 480x272 on PSP and lower than 480x360 on the older iPhone models. It's going to be pixelated as hell. Like I said, not a deal breaker, but it is definitely a touch disappointing. The pixels will be chunky as hell ala Nintendo DS. :\

However, "gamecube-level" graphics is on the low end of what we should be expecting from a 2010 handheld, so I am not sure why everyone is acting amazed.
They definitely don't appear to be Gamecube level. Not even PS2 level, really. The resolution is also lower than both of those systems standard output.

Jex

The Bookerman said:
My guess is, Metal Gear Solid 3 for 3ds is simply a tech demo... We might get a real MGS title for the 3ds but not in the form of Metal Gear Solid 3.

I can kind of see where you are coming from, and it's probably just a tech demo at the moment but I fully expect MGS3 on the 3DS from what we've seen so far, considering Konami have it on their site. That's why it makes no sense to assume it's not going to be made.

Peff

Wasn't there information yesterday that he's actually directing the "remake" and that's why he isn't very involved with Rising? In any case, I suppose we'll find out today.

StuBurns

Banned
The Bookerman said:
I disagree. MGS3 is a perfect choice of game. It won't take much design work, it'll be cheap, it'll be incredible, it'll make made bank.

MGS3D, the title is even perfect.

StuBurns said:
I disagree. MGS3 is a perfect choice of game. It won't take much design work, it'll be cheap, it'll be incredible, it'll make made bank.

MGS3D, the title is even perfect.

Sure It makes sense, but I remember the nintendo ds reveal. I remember titles that were shown there, there's some that never showed up and other demos ended up to be completely different games.

That's what scares me. Cause I'm like you I'd buy the hardware for a 3ds Remake/port of MGS3.

Ryuuga

Banned
StuBurns said:
But I am not stunned by it at all. It's lower res than I imagined, the image quality should be be better at this point. Graphically it's what I expected, maybe a little underwhelming, but the more I see the better it's looking.

It looks good, but I can't imagine why people are 'holy shit'ing all over the place, it looks like a ten year old console, which is cool, but I have no idea why it's surprising to people.

That's perfectly fine. It's a given that some people would be impressed and others underwhelmed. Taking into account what was said about Nintendo innovating and the primary focus of 3DS, why have people (refer to previous post) come to expect something far greater than what we're seeing? I ask that considering you believe people haven't missed the point. Furthermore, I'm impressed because I'm not drawing my comparisons from a 10 year old console, but the previous Nintendo handheld.

Binabik15

The Bookerman said:
Sure It makes sense, but I remember the nintendo ds reveal. I remember titles that were shown there, there's some that never showed up and other demos ended up to be completely different games.

That's what scares me. Cause I'm like you I'd buy the hardware for a 3ds Remake/port of MGS3.

Not a remake please. A straight port as far as the controls and the lack of rumble allows it. Please, Kojima.

BSTF

this post rates 1/10
Yeah, I'm not getting all the hype on the graphics end. What were people expecting 3DS to be a regular DS that supports 3D?

Still it looks good enough for a portable system and it looks like it's not a straight port as the bridge looks vastly different even though cutscene on the bridge is completely different. Hopefully it's because they didn't have enough time and not because the 3DS isn't powerful enough.

Binabik15 said:
Not a remake please. A straight port as far as the controls and the lack of rumble allows it. Please, Kojima.

Well whatever they do, they really need to get rid of the use D-Pad to walk.

StuBurns

Banned
Ryuuga said:
That's perfectly fine. It's a given that some people would be impressed and others underwhelmed. Taking into account what was said about Nintendo innovating and the primary focus of 3DS, why have people (refer to previous post) come to expect something far greater than what we're seeing? I ask that considering you believe people haven't missed the point. Furthermore, I'm impressed because I'm not drawing my comparisons from a 10 year old console, but the previous Nintendo handheld.
Well I think me being underwhelmed is most the resolution. What I'd heard, and I believe the common rumor was "Gamecube in a DS shell in 3D", I do not believe it compares to what a GC game looks like, now this is fine, and makes sense. For a start it's 3D which is of course demanding, and the screens are low res and I guess my memory of what gamecube even looked like is tainted by time, I haven't seen one running for a few years. It looks fantastic regardless, but I was a little underwhelmed visually. However, it could all change the second I see it personally, I'm not discounting the potential impact of autostereoscopic 3D, I've seen prototype TVs that do it, and it's incredible.

Shanadeus

Banned
1276659917486.png

1276659917486.png

Yeah this is very impressive, put a blur filter on the 3DS version and it'd look like PS2.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Jexhius said:
And it's inherently a ridiculous statement. Why would a simple tech demo be up on the main Konami E3 website as one of their big three games?

Imagine trying to start your car in the morning, and it doesn't work. You don't then jump to the conclusion that a band of rouge clowns have stolen your engine. There's probably an explanation that makes more sense.
I guess putting together a band of rouge clowns and go steal car engines would be a nice idea, then.

MNC

Actually, fauxAA a la blurring might be something for 3ds titles. Anyway, with 3D the jaggies are less noticable I think.

StuBurns

Banned
MNC said:
Actually, fauxAA a la blurring might be something for 3ds titles. Anyway, with 3D the jaggies are less noticable I think.
What's that based on? My experience (not 3DS based of course) is it's actually worse.

JohngPR

The game looks great.

As others have said though, Snake needs to look a bit younger than he does though.

I can't wait to see actual gameplay.

Even though I just played through the game, I totally would get this and do it all over again. :)

MNC said:

Your cyclopean view (or whatever the composite picture in the brain is called) will take care of some of the AA. Starfox is shown with what looks like 2xfull screen AA, but very N64ish poly count.

BSTF said:
Well whatever they do, they really need to get rid of the use D-Pad to walk.

Heh Yeah.. you can tell they're mixing things up a bit just looking at the tech demo, if it's a straight port I wouldn't be interested, if they add a load of 'extra-ops' it would be pretty neat.

soldat7

Jexhius said:
I can kind of see where you are coming from, and it's probably just a tech demo at the moment but I fully expect MGS3 on the 3DS from what we've seen so far, considering Konami have it on their site. That's why it makes no sense to assume it's not going to be made.

I'd love to see a new entry to the series, but it seems as if MGS3 is the real deal. The game is incredible, so I'm fine with that.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
yea, problem is, the 3DS version at this stage is just a running cinematic where you can move the camera around. The PS2 version, you can actually play it. I don't think Digital Foundry are fools.

Perhaps this level of graphics will be achievable in a couple of years when the developers get used to the hardware. But I would not expect this for launch.

bobbytkc said:
yea, problem is, the 3DS version at this stage is just a running cinematic where you can move the camera around. The PS2 version, you can actually play it. I don't think Digital Foundry are fools.

Perhaps this level of graphics will be achievable in a couple of years when the developers get used to the hardware. But I would not expect this for launch.

If you can manipulate the camera, then it's running in real time on the device.
This level of graphics is achievable now, before the device even launches.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
AceBandage said:
If you can manipulate the camera, then it's running in real time on the device.
This level of graphics is achievable now, before the device even launches.

Mind you. MGS4 was exactly the same. The final product was substantially different once other processes are added in, and this game is from the same studio, so the comparisons are not entirely invalid.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
radiantdreamer said:
So umm... does anyone wanna buy my PSP? Umm... it's got custom firmware.... anybody?

You know, I'd keep that PSP around considering that there is Peace Walker (Best handheld game I know) and then there's fucking Parasite Eve(!!) and Patapon 3 coming soon.

And also there's the fact that you won't get much money back out of it :lol

Boney

Banned
bobbytkc said:
You know, I'd keep that PSP around considering that there is Peace Walker (Best handheld game I know) and then there's fucking Parasite Eve(!!) and Patapon 3 coming soon.

And also there's the fact that you won't get much money back out of it :lol
I'm waiting for Valkyria Chronicles and Parasite Eve. Then bye bye PSP, it'll be sad but necesary.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I hope the people on here that are going crazy for this game as if it's the second coming also own the PSP with Peace Walker.

I know I've been beating the PSP drum recently and I apologise for that but part of me really believes if we saw PSP screen shots of Silent Hill, Peace Walker, Final Fantasy etc on the 3DS and they were posted on the gaf as real games coming out on the 3DS posing as 3DS gfx people would be still be saying "wow", "OMG", "can't wait" etc.

I guess I just feel the PSP is a little under appreciated on here and it's sad seeing people hale the 3DS gfx this much while we've had a hand-held with 'similar' gfx and serious games like Metal Gear for nearly 6 years now, I just wish people gave it a bit more credit for it's technical achievements, the fact that we are not seeing a massive upgrade in gfx with the 3DS after all this time just goes to show how advanced the PSP was at the time.

Wazzim

Banned
lowrider007 said:
I hope the people on here that are going crazy for this game as if it's the second coming also own the PSP with Peace Walker.

I know I've been beating the PSP drum recently and I apologise for that but part of me really believes if we saw PSP screen shots of Silent Hill, Peace Walker, Final Fantasy etc on the 3DS and they were posted on the gaf as real games coming out on the 3DS posing as 3DS gfx people would be still be saying "wow", "OMG", "can't wait" etc.

I guess I just feel the PSP is a little under appreciated on here and it's sad seeing people hale the 3DS gfx this much while we've had a hand-held with 'similar' gfx and serious games like Metal Gear for nearly 6 years now, I just wish people gave it a bit more credit for it's technical achievements, the fact that we are not seeing a massive upgrade in gfx with the 3DS after all this time just goes to show how advanced the PSP was at the time.
I felt that way last year but now I just know that almost nobody likes the machine so I stopped caring too.
3DS isn't that much better than PSP in output but it certainly has much better hardware (2 layers for the 3d effect, AA etc.)

Bizzyb

Banned
The Bookerman said:
Dude, there's nothing there: No interview with Kojima CONFIRMING it's a REAL title. no press release. It's kinda like Kojima's Wii Game.... I'm still waiting for this one by the way. When Metal Gear Solid 3 is CONFIRMED as a Full GAME, and not Kojima playing around with the hardware, then we'll see.

Hey at least Capcom issued a press release about Revelations on 3ds. I haven't seen such a thing anywhere else for Metal Gear Solid 3ds.

Game is real, give it a rest.

http://e3.nintendo.com/interviews/#/?v=interview_kojima

bobbytkc said:

As was proved with the RE demo, these ARE In-game assets, models, etc. They are currently developing the games but don't have them ready for playable form so they release in-game cutscenes to show what the games will look like while showing off the 3d effects.

I don't see how you gather that just because something isn't playable it means that it isn't going to be real or as shown in the non-playable demo. Non playable demos or games that use in-game cutscenes to show off the game are NOTHING new.

Spiegel

lowrider007 said:

You are right and you know this was going to happen.

I've said it on another post, three days ago no one (outside of the usual posters on the psp threads I guess) wanted console experiences or simply ports and remakes of console games on their handhelds. In one recent thread no one wanted to play a graphically inferior version (compared to the HD games) of God of War, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Uncharted,...

Now having console experiences, ports and remakes is what they always wanted.

Solo

lowrider007 said:

This makes no sense. I dont own a PSP, nor any handheld, because they have never had the tech or the games that interest me. The 3DS has both. So while I will be buying one and MGS3D also, I dont need to buy a PSP and PW just because someone on the internet is upset that his handheld of choice is going become irrelevant in the next 2 years.

StuBurns

Banned
Solo said:
This makes no sense. I dont own a PSP, nor any handheld, because they have never had the tech or the games that interest me. The 3DS has both. So while I will be buying one and MGS3D also, I dont need to buy a PSP and PW just because someone on the internet is upset that his handheld of choice is going become irrelevant in the next 2 years.
I have a PSP and I'm not convinced I'm buying PW at this point.

But Snake Eater on 3DS? I think it has a much bigger chance of being incredible.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Solo said:

I'm not saying you should purchase it because I'm upset that the PSP will probably become obsolete, but because Peace Walker is genuinely a good game, and if your pumped about playing a portable version of Metal Gear with good gfx then PW on the PSP should be a consideration at the very least.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Solo said:

I think his point is that any Metal Gear fan should be playing peacewalker. You clearly don't think Metal Gear coming to the 3DS is THE second coming, but any serious metal gear fan would. And any serious metal gear fan should play peace walker. Seriously, I'd say it is better than MGS4, and I'm only at chapter 2.

Edit:beaten D=

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
StuBurns said:
I have a PSP and I'm not convinced I'm buying PW at this point.

But Snake Eater on 3DS? I think it has a much bigger chance of being incredible.

Why leave things to chance? PW is already incredible.

Okay I know I know. Opinions not fact :D

Imm0rt4l

The Bookerman said:

I doubt that kojipro would put up MGS3 as one of the games on their main website if it were simply a tech demo.

Solo

lowrider007 said:
I'm not saying you should purchase it because I'm upset that the PSP will probably become obsolete, but because Peace Walker is genuinely a good game, and if your pumped about playing a portable version of Metal Gear with good gfx then PW on the PSP should be a consideration at the very least.

But Id be paying whatever the PSP costs for just one game. On 3DS I already, a year before launch, know Ill be getting MGS3D, OoT3D, Resident Evil, Splinter Cell, Star Fox, etc.

Binabik15

Spiegel said:
You are right and you know this was going to happen.

I've said it on another post, three days ago no one (outside of the usual posters on the psp threads I guess) wanted console experiences or simply ports and remakes of console games on their handhelds. In one recent thread no one wanted to play a graphically inferior version (compared to the HD games) of God of War, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Uncharted,...

Now having console experiences, ports and remakes is what they always wanted.

I can´t speak for the rest, but I LOVE my PSP. I want Uncharted on it. Last year´s E3 announcement of Resident Evil got me all bothered and hot and I was screaming for a modified RE4 control scheme. I haven´t bought Peace Walker because I was really disappointed in Portable Ops and its mini missions, playing people that aren´t BB etc and co-op in MGS sounds dumb.

If the 3DS brings me the full, unchanged MGS3 experience, why shouldn´t I be excited?. If the 3DS analogue nub is better than the PSP´s, that´d be great for playing console ports. :D

PS: With all the positve PW impressions I just might buy it, if it isn´t good you´re dead to me, PW-GAF! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom