• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid - The Naked Sample 3DS [N-CONF]

Status
Not open for further replies.
vg7kz.jpg

I think I just shit myself...

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
This and this alone sold me on getting a 3DS. I don't think I could pass up on a new version of Snake Eater, let alone a portable version of Snake Eater. Every reasonable Metal Gear Solid fan knows that MGS3 was the best game in the series.

Does The Boss in the art on the website look different to anyone? At first glance I thought I was seeing Big Mama from MGS4.

i do hope they age him down a bit. Snake's younger, fresher, kinder face is one of my favorite little touches of MGS3. It really is important I think.

Guess I shouldn't worry cos it IS the same model as Peace Walker where he's supposed to look older and more grizzly. I just hope they don't overlook this little detail.

strideramc

This game really sold me on the 3DS. I know it probably won't be a launch game, but it looks like it will be worth the wait.

ivysaur12 said:
I wasn't really that impressed until the bee jumped in, and then I was like WOAH.

Will buy, and I hate stealth games.
MGS3 was actually kinda controversial to some fans at the time because you could just play through the game by shooting up shit constantly and it really wasn't that hard to fight off the reinforcements.

While snake's model does seem to be a bit meatier in the ps2 version(could be due to he angle of the shot), there is no denying that it runs like a champ. Can't fucking wait for this shit...

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
BudokaiMR2 said:
I NEED my fucking hands on a 3DS so bad.

IF I GET ON A PLANE RIGHT NOW CAN I STILL MAKE IT!?
That's what's getting to me. Do we even realize how much of a phenomenal shift in gaming or entertainment in general, this is? I mean, it's literally virtual reality from this point on. Imagine Move or the likes, with this 3D without glasses thing, come next generation. Jesus Christ, we've made it this far?!

XPE said:
So the question is people, Is this a full remake they are working on or is it just a tech demo?
The thing they showed there is basically a tech demo with little camera interaction, but they are working on a full game based on that.

XPE

slaughterking said:
The thing they showed there is basically a tech demo with little camera interaction, but they are working on a full game based on that.

:D what more needs to be said

Veidt said:
That's what's getting to me. Do we even realize how much of phenomenal shift in gaming this is? I mean, it's literally virtual reality from this point on. Imagine Move or the likes, with this 3D without glasses thing, come next generation. Jesus Christ, we've made it this far?!
Nintendo's hatred for glasses makes me think their next system with be the display itself :lol

MMaRsu

Banned
Veidt said:
That's what's getting to me. Do we even realize how much of a phenomenal shift in gaming or entertainment in general, this is? I mean, it's literally virtual reality from this point on. Imagine Move or the likes, with this 3D without glasses thing, come next generation. Jesus Christ, we've made it this far?!

That would really be the only thing to get me into 3d. I actually thought that if you bought a 3dTV you don't need the glasses anymore.. but you still do. So not getting a 3TV this generation for sure :lol .

But the 3DS is a whoooooooooooooole other piece of cake :D

Is this confirmed as a 3ds future title... or simply a glorified tech demo?

Cause I'd love a 3ds remake of MGS3... don't want to get my hopes up for nothing.

The Bookerman said:
Is this confirmed as a 3ds future title... or simply a glorified tech demo?

Cause I'd love a 3ds remake of MGS3... don't want to get my hopes up for nothing.
It is a confirmed title, Kojima is directing.

Binabik15

If this is "real" MGS3 in a undiluted form (read: not split into mini mission and with decent controls) I´m buying a 3DS as soon as this is out. If it´s not, I might buy a 3DS for other things, but not immediatly.

PS: You know what? Metal Gear Ac!d 2 had 3d. 3DS has 3d. Give me Metal Gear Ac!!!d or I´ll punch your dog, Konami.

Binabik15 said:
If this is "real" MGS3 in a undiluted form I´m buying a 3DS. If it´s not, I might buy a 3DS for other things, but not immediatly.

PS: You know what? Metal Gear Ac!d 2 had 3d. 3DS has 3d. Give me Metal Gear Ac!!!d or I´ll punch your dog, Konami.
Huh.

You just reminded me that Ac!d 2 had a theater mode where you could watch a bunch of MGS3 cutscenes in 3D.

Kojima is nothing if not consistent.

I wonder if they'll redo the voice overs or keep the old ones...? I wouldn't mind them changing things like the level layouts or gameplay mechanics, but I do hope that they don't fuck around with it too much. I'm both excited for and terrified of what this game could be. :lol

Screw metal gear, have you guys seen Resident Evil's graphics on the 3DS?! if the game really does look like that, my mind will be BLOWN..

jk about screwing metal gear though.. Looks amazing, In the 3DS VS PS2 pic, the 3DS' mountains LOOK BETTER, i think the only flaw with the 3DS' graphics is the resolution, but thats a given considering the tiny screen.

Seriously, they should make all these titles available for the wii as well. From now on, they should port every wii title to the 3DS and vice versa, their graphics are the same lol.

If MGS really does look like the character model looked up close, they must have some serious LOD in place because Snake doesnt look that great on the bridge but up close he looks better then anything on the wii.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Here's a few direct feed Peace Walker Snake pictures taken off of an actual PSP for comparison instead of the up/down scaled one's.

2lialnb.jpg

rub9qp.jpg

4rfbi9.jpg

Binabik15

Wow, Peace Walker looks pretty impressive as well. Besides the new Naked Snake looking like a total tool compared to MGS3, of course. Never followed it because I HATE Portable Op´s controls. Sony not covering the analogue nub with rubber really hurts my thumb.

On a screen as small as PSP and 3DS I don´t think high-res textures or normal mapping will impress me as much as good IQ quality, that´s what I hate about PSP games the most. Jaggies are evil. I hope devs will focus on good IQ instead of monster graphics, but who am I kidding.

PS: Imagine, one day we´ll get MGS4 on a handheld (as soon as the elusive "second analogue stick" can be captured and chained onto a portable device) and being on a stick or internal memory you won´t have to watch Snake smoking for hours on end:lol

Ryuuga

Banned
Jexhius said:
All these 3DS threads are causing me a neck-ache, from all the head-shakeingly crazy comments.

It's to be expected. It happens every single time a new piece of hardware is released. You get a lot of people downplaying it's capabilities based on it's premiere showing. Then come the comments about how it's a barely perceptible difference from what we've seen in the past. I Love E3.

chandoog said:
Here's a few direct feed Peace Walker Snake pictures taken off of an actual PSP for comparison instead of the up/down scaled one's.

2lialnb.jpg

rub9qp.jpg

4rfbi9.jpg
thanks for posting this, this shows the awful color depth on PSP. It looks okay on these shots but when you're in the more jungle areas it can look like a green pixelated mess at times. Still a great game and you can ignore it just because the game is awesome, but the 3DS should have much better IQ.

kswiston

Ryuuga said:
It's to be expected. It happens every single time a new piece of hardware is released. You get a lot of people downplaying it's capabilities based on it's premiere showing. Then come the comments about how it's a barely perceptible difference from what we've seen in the past. I Love E3.

While I agree with everyone that the 3DS has noticeably superior graphics to the PSP, I think the point a lot of people are making is, after 6 years, the gap should be this big, if not bigger. PSP launched at the end of 2004. 3DS is launching at the end of 2010. That's the same as the time difference between the PS1 and PS2, or the PS2 and PS3.

I am happy with the graphical quality we are seeing from the 3DS. It looks to be something between PS2 and Xbox1, which is perfect for the type of games I am looking to get on it (jrpgs, platformers, puzzle games). Never having to play a game with DS-level polygon counts again is a good thing. However, "gamecube-level" graphics is on the low end of what we should be expecting from a 2010 handheld, so I am not sure why everyone is acting amazed. Even ignoring the PSP, if DS could do N64+ graphics in 2004, 3DS SHOULD be doing Gamecube+ graphics in 2010.

Celine

kswiston said:
While I agree with everyone that the 3DS has noticeably superior graphics to the PSP, I think the point a lot of people are making is, after 6 years, the gap should be this big, if not bigger. PSP launched at the end of 2004. 3DS is launching at the end of 2010. That's the same as the time difference between the PS1 and PS2, or the PS2 and PS3.

I am happy with the graphical quality we are seeing from the 3DS. It looks to be something between PS2 and Xbox1, which is perfect for the type of games I am looking to get on it (jrpgs, platformers, puzzle games). Never having to play a game with DS-level polygon counts again is a good thing. However, "gamecube-level" graphics is on the low end of what we should be expecting from a 2010 handheld, so I am not sure why everyone is acting amazed. Even ignoring the PSP, if DS could do N64+ graphics in 2004, 3DS SHOULD be doing Gamecube+ graphics in 2010.
Well to the equation you should add the S3D @ 60fps.
But I'm sure Nintendo pursued the cheaper solution that guarantee good enough performance ( graphic/power consumption ).

Jex

kswiston said:
I am happy with the graphical quality we are seeing from the 3DS.

I think most people are!

kswiston said:
However, "gamecube-level" graphics is on the low end of what we should be expecting from a 2010 handheld, so I am not sure why everyone is acting amazed. Even ignoring the PSP, if DS could do N64+ graphics in 2004, 3DS SHOULD be doing Gamecube+ graphics in

Huh? What? There's no should. There's no hard rule or logic that makes that true.

Nintendo don't the 3DS to be a graphical powerhouse, that doesn't make games better.

Furthermore, it must be fairly powerful to produce the 3D effect in the first place.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I can't deny it, the 3DS has me super excited. This is the first time in a long time that I am genuinely thrilled about a new Nintendo console. I will be pre-ordering this thing the second we are able to do so. I'm so glad Nintendo is actually delivering impressive hardware again!

Was anyone able to comment on the pixel density of the screen? I'm curious how high of a resolution they are aiming for. With the new iPhone featuring a super high-res screen I would be disappointing if Nintendo weren't aiming for something similar (perhaps not THAT high, but more in line with an Android phone would be good).

edit - just saw the spec sheet. Screen is super low res (effectively lower than PSP even). I suppose that was to be expected for this glasses free 3D thing to work. :( Aw well, still pumped.

dilatedmuscle said:
I notice there is a lot fo dithering on the PSP metal gear, while i notice no dithering on the 3DS pics.
Yes, there is.

Come on, though, the PSP is hardware from 2004!!! The 3DS looks extremely impressive, but really, it's 6 years newer than the PSP. If it didn't look better I think everyone would have been very disappointed. The PSP was way ahead of its time in 2004 and it still holds up very well by todays standards.

thanks for posting this, this shows the awful color depth on PSP. It looks okay on these shots but when you're in the more jungle areas it can look like a green pixelated mess at times. Still a great game and you can ignore it just because the game is awesome, but the 3DS should have much better IQ.
The PSP CAN do 24-bit color, but most games stick to 16-bit for performance reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom