• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Definitive Experience Announced (GZ + NAIN STORY + DLC) 10/11

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Ruin decent box art with meaningless ratings and bullet points brehs.

J.EM1

Hard to say... the standard from other games is that they don't always work. The Witcher 3 definitive edition won't let you use old saves. I think CDPR said it was a first party thing too, which would suggest it actually may be that way for this version too.
Did not know that. Haven't played any definitive edition games for this gen. I'm guessing our existing FOBs will at least carry over (?).

Did not know that. Haven't played any definitive edition games for this gen. I'm guessing our existing FOBs will at least carry over (?).
probably not if save files don't... i wouldn't assume both are attached to the same 'app' ID or something. witcher 3 one also says you can re-earn new trophies since its recognized as a 'new app.'

that said, I'm just guessing based on how some other 'definitive editions' seem to work, I really don't know. w3 one isn't even out (just based on dev comments).

What does "Ground Zeroes + All DLC" mean?

That game didn't have any DLC as far as I know...

Edit: Oh, it's just the platform exclusive missions? Bleh.

What does "Ground Zeroes + All DLC" mean?

That game didn't have any DLC as far as I know...

Edit: Oh, it's just the platform exclusive missions? Bleh.
The outfits and weapons. There were a few released, and also the pre-order items were made purchasable after release, too. It's all 'equipment' though. Not game world content.

joms5

Who the hell would spend money on this?!?

DLC is all cosmetic garbage for an online service that wont be around forever and 2 games that you can get for probably half what this is going to cost.

Neiteio

Who the hell would spend money on this?!?

DLC is all cosmetic garbage for an online service that wont be around forever and 2 games that you can get for probably half what this is going to cost.
The DLC includes cool costumes for the single-player like The Boss (which you can equip when playing as any of the female soldiers you've brought to Mother Base). And there are people who haven't played GZ or TPP who might like to get them together in the same package, possibly on the same disk. But yeah, you're right you might be able to save money if you buy them separately. We'll have to see how everything shakes out.

Most of the items are rather unimportant and even most of the post-release upgrades (the FOB stuff; not the DLC in this new version) are just based around time sinks...

But the Snake Eater outfits are pretty cool, and worth a couple bucks if you're a fan haha. I use the Snake Eater tiger stripe camo a lot.

I'm good, thanks. I'm done giving Konami any money, and I probably disliked this more than any MGS game. No reason to play again, which is crazy considering how many times I replayed all the previous games :(

valkyre

I loved the game up until they threw all that Base building/defending and online shit at you. Aint nobody got time for that. Did they remove the online stuff with your base?

You know you dont have to give a rats ass about online bases and stuff right? I played the entire game offline, didnt even fully build my own base and got the full ending.

In fact if someone just plays only the main missions + the story related side ops (you dont even need to touch the remixed main missions) he can reach the ending and have a much better paced game story wise as well as a better MGS experience (you can include the side ops for Paz story which is definitely worth it imo).

Problem with MGS is that it has a ton of content that takes people away from the path, as well as the ranking system which makes people replay missions over and over just to get that S ranking, resulting in poor pacing (especially for fans who were accustomed to a very different feel from past MGS games). Dont get me wrong the ranking system is great, but its great after you have experienced the story in one go, then mess around with it as well as the tons of extra content/missions.

If you restart the game (dont just replay missions from the menu you lose a lot of cutscenes) and play this way I am sure you wont regret it.

Haunted

Solid package for those who haven't already played the game, as well as the superfans who need every version.

I liked the game well enough (it's the best MGS by far, even with a lot of shitty decisions made during development), but I see absolutely no reason to give Konami money again for the same game(s) I already played.

Ratrat

Hmmm....nah.

Also, I could have sworn there was supposed to be DD costumes. What happened with that? Also with Survive and this being announced, I guess they are done with updating this game.

JackelZXA

I hope that you can just switch between GZ and TPP via a menu option. That "Upload Save Data from GZ" and "Download Save Data to TPP" options could just be replaced with a game switcher (Obviously not unlocking the ability to switch to TPP until beating GZ at least once) and then tieing the unlock content from GZ stuff to just the same save, rather than some upload/download thing.

I hope they keep GZ feeling differently from TPP and don't just homogenize them. There are reasons why that would make sense.

It would be cool if there is DLC for mission 51 or something. Some people think that nuclear disarmament event would unlock it, but no one knows yet as no platforms have hit 0 nukes, and there are suspicious bits of code that people have datamined...

I wonder if Metal Gear Survive will just add itself onto the menu under Metal Gear Online. I think there's something neat about having the four apps on one disc on the same menu.

Hmmm....nah.

Also, I could have sworn there was supposed to be DD costumes. What happened with that? Also with Survive and this being announced, I guess they are done with updating this game.

What's weird is that there are empty slots on the dlc registry for the steam version of the game that people think may correspond to that, and the registry was JUST this week updated with a single new dummied out dlc listing slot. My theory is that they'll release a new set of DLC with the Definitive Ex launch (making it NOT definitive?) including those DD outfits, and then that new slot that was dummied in just recently....what if....51? what...if?

About the game not having an ending...yes it has an ending. I think calling chapter 2 race was a mistake. You should have gotten a chapter 2 sign between Hellbound and Pitch Black that said Race (As the africa half is all about language, children as seperate from adults, code talker working to save his race, and the ultimate plan for the language strain). Our current chapter 2 should have just been called Chapter 3: Peace. It basically takes place after the main story has concluded, revenge has been taken, but revenge isn't the end, as the pain still lingers. You end up losing what remains in that time of peace, slowly. The Chapter 2 is actually 4 sub stories that all have (or should have) an individual ending.

The 4 sub stories and their corresponding big Missions are as follows:
Kaz ~> 43 Quiet ~> 46 Eli ~> 51 Snake ~> 45
* Kaz's story begins at the start of chapter 2 and ends after the Big Boss is Watching You posters come down. (Mission 43 and the aftermath being the climax and ending) The Nukes Ending may be considered part of this for all intents and purposes, and it does have it's own big "credits sequence", but we aren't 100% on it...and it can have Quiet, Sahelanthropus, and Huey in it, so it's kind of a deadlock...
* Quiet's is more obvious to people. You have the scenes that happen with the necklace, the interrogation, the optional romance scenes, and mission 46. She has a clear beginning middle and end that people understand for chapter 2.
* Eli is a victim of 51 mission. His story begins with distrust, progresses to a rebellion, and should have climaxed and concluded with his Kingdom of the Flies, but that third chapter 2 ending is missing.
* Snake's encompass recovering the AI Pod and the Corpse (dat cutscene...), the Photographs side quest, Mission 45, and the Truth Tapes. This is the final ending of the four chapter 2 storylines. (Mission 45 is kind of not as significant as the tapes you get after. I wish THOSE had been the part of the actual truth mission)

So yeah, there's several endings, but by skimping on Mission 51, we lost a huge element of that closure.

Harmen

Ugh, I am frustrated we will mever get the actual full MGSV experience. Was kind of hoping Konami would use whatever is there for chapter 3 and make MGSV feel less empty.

Mokujin

If they did a bit of work and added Mission 51 (not even asking for Chapter 3) and with a clearer cover they could have had something much more attractive.

Even with the huge issues I have with the game I would have though about it.

Dy_Cy

I bought GZ and TPP on PS3 so I will definitely buy this so I can enjoy this game once more.

People expecting a chapter 3 are crazy. It doesn't exist and I wonder if it has ever existed. Mission 51 (even though it was supposed to be a series of missions) was obviously going to be a part of the Chapter 2 narrative.

The game is not finished but I'm pretty sure it's more finished than most people are thinking. Wishing the game had all these ideas that were not put in the game is just a way for them to cope with the fact that the game is not what they were expecting.

Ludens

Banned
Hmmm....nah.

You can unlock additional skins in the game, they were not DLCs.

vid

That's some hilariously edgy ass font there. It's like some suit looked at the original logo and thought "hmmm...needs to be more EXTREME!"
20110816133136!Mgs_logo.png

I feel like they were trying to replicate the hidden "7"s in the MGS4 logo, except with "V"s. And it's driving me crazy trying to reconcike that with the throwback MGS2/3/PW style layout. And don't even get me STARTED on tacking the "pointy V" from the Metal Gear Survive logo on the end there...

It's like they couldn't decide what style to emulate.

Protome

Welp, I guess if somehow someone managed to not play Ground Zeroes when it was given away with PS+/GWG or was on sale for super cheap then this is a good chance to get it in people's hands.

I ended up enjoying it more than Phantom Pain in a lot of ways, I wish they would go the episodic route like Hitman with it.

So the most obvious outcome turned out to be right. Glad I had the right mindset from the start and can just ignore this release. Will be easier to recommend the game to a newcomer interested in mgs v.

SJRB

Gold Member
There's almost zero reason for anyone to buy this, especially if you bought the Day One edition of Phantom Pain and already own almost all of the "extras".

I wonder why the logo design changed so drastically. Perhaps Cooper didn't give permission or something? He "went with" Kojima, after all.

valkyre

That cover resembles an 80s movie poster. I think in the context of that (the game is set in the 80s) its not that bad.

sym30l1c

Konami is not giving us much incentive to buy this. There isn't really any added value in this compared to buying TPP and GZ separately. At least it's not full price, but you could pick up both TPP and GZ for less at this point. And if you already own them, why would you want this for just a few insignificant DLC items?

Top Bottom