• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain E3 Full Gameplay Demo [Up: NEW official version!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Mother Base seems to be central the online component of the game. The narrator says

"Your base in The Phantom Pain can be attacked, which means that all the relationships you make within your mission and/or online will come back and affect you here."

If this means online invasions against players' Mother Bases... O_O

It's confirmed other players can attack your mother base and steal your stuff. I'm guessing that mother base thing will be a big part of the new Metal Gear Online.

Asd202

The one thing I'm afraid of are the boss battles. How are they going to be with regenerating health and are they even in the game?

Jigolo

Amazing graphics. Saw a lot of pop in though, but at least the game is 1+? year out. They should be able to clean it up a bit.

I'd love to see what Kojima could do with this engine for his next game with no cross gen involved.

doofy102

Let me quote Kojima-san. I have my audio-recording here: Some nuances might be lost in translation. Please understand.

But if the game enables you to forget about the story and have fun in the 'open' game world for as much time as you want (even rewarding you for exploring) then it's a sandbox, essentially no less than good old GTA. Kojima might think differently but that won't stop how I'll play the game, or how I played Ground Zeroes, essentially treating it as GTA, where "heading off now to the complete the objective" is the rough equivalent of "heading off to enter the glowing mission marker."

Getting hung up on the differences in how they structure the missions/objectives is not really worth it, all that matters is what the gameplay offers. If you go down that road MGSV is arguably even MORE of a sandbox than GTA since even the missions are essentially "sandboxed" and don't force you through linear car chases/shootouts, not "less" of a sandbox at all.

You really think there won't be long-ass conversations like in every MGS game?

It's a gameplay demo. You want them to show cutscenes? lol

It's at the very least limited by money. And it's not a 100% chance of success.

I suppose you missed the opening cutscene where Ocelot yammers on about the objective, with not even a word spoken by BB? I didn't say anything about wanting more cutscenes, I'm simply getting the same vibe that I got from GZ, which is that making Big Boss a more passive character dialogue-wise doesn't really suit him.

DrBo42

Some of the Mother Base units. The main ones appear to support up to 50 soldiers. Better have a lot of fultons.

Each type gives you different benefits in the field. As we see, putting a soldier into the Intel Unit increases its level, unlocking "scouting" and letting Big Boss see the general threat areas on his map.

uC3J38J.png

I would have loved it if they'd actually deploy as a scout sniper or general recon team that you could see in-game where you call them in. Would be cool if you were responsible for them as well so if you call them in at a bad vantage point they could be captured or killed.

Nvzman

In the demo when he called for evac it showed Helicopter expenses.
So maybe that's why in GZ you could complete some missions by just running out of the level boundaries instead of calling a helicopter? They'll implement this in TPP if you don't have enough?

Sn4ke_911

The one thing I'm afraid of are the boss battles. How are they going to be with regenerating health and are they even in the game?

boss battles will be in the game. When KojiPro was on Rising they made plenty of good boss battles which they never used, they said it were the best boss battles they'ever made. So we'll probably see some of those ideas in TPP.

Kid Mantis for example has so much potential, please make it as outstanding as the MGS1 Psycho Mantis battle.

the fulton system is super flawed.

I dont like they way they took MGS since MGS1 for PS1. used to be so awesome and kick ass with a serious tone. this new MGS is just wrong and it has killed the series for me.

Cyborg Ninja? Sexy Sniper? You like Castlevania don't you?

Some of the complaints here are really throwing me off lol

Yeah thats one of my concerns too. Meh at regenerating health.
I think Ocelot sort of hinted at the crazy boss/bosses at the beginning of the demo.

Betty

Banned
That's the problem with Fulton, breaks the game difficulty for the sake of a pokemon meta game.

It costs money to use, it doesn't always work, you're base cannot take infinite resources/soldeirs and there's every chance they may weaken it by having guards nearby hear the screams of soldiers, or, by including some weaknesses to it in hard mode.

This was a demo played by a veteran of the game who knew where to go and what to do, I'm sure the final game will be just as challenging as some of the more hardcore players would like.

The fact that he doesn't talk in one cutscene does not mean he is a mute.

No, but it does seem to carry on with the Ground Zeroes style, where another character does all the talking without much input from Big Boss. I'm guessing he'll likely start talking more as the game progresses, but atm, this is what I've seen, and so it's what I'm going to speculate about.

Vire

My biggest problem with fulton is, how the hell do guards not notice a jeep parachuting up into the air?

Just kills the immersion for me.

aravuus

Literally purchased Ground Zeroes just now thanks to the hype this gameplay generated in me lol

It's partially because I just finished MGS1 and ordered the HD collection though, I've been in a massive MGS mood the last couple of days

It costs money to use, it doesn't always work, you're base cannot take infinite resources/soldeirs and there's every chance they may weaken it by having guards nearby hear the screams of soldiers, or, by including some weaknesses to it in hard mode.

This was a demo played by a veteran of the game who knew where to go and what to do, I'm sure the final game will be just as challenging as some of the more hardcore players would like.

That, and Reflex Mode was triggered several times -- a mechanic that won't always bail the player out.

Sad to see that pop-in is still there. It was awful whenever you drove some of the vehicles in Ground Zeroes, and I think I would prefer the 30fps version of the game with less pop-in, and more/better details in the distance :| Although, 60fps version controls beautifuly most of the time, which reminds me - I'd like to see them drop that system of automatically crouching when you're near low cover - let me crouch if I want, or get spotted if I didn't crouch in time (I'm not sure if that's still in TPP, but it was there in GZ, and it was a slight annoyance).

Also, fulton seems overpowered. Yeah, it costs some money, and it won't succeed every time, but still - Snake found some diamonds worth of 36.000 GMP, and one fulton recovery costs just 300 GMP. And yeah, I'm aware that diamonds are rare, and that we have no idea how much Motherbase upgrades and other stuff will cost, but even if fulton recovery fails, you can still clear enemy bases with it, which seems to be too easy, especially combined with Reflex mode*. And as people already mentioned, it's kinda immersion breaking when you see (and hear) fulton recoveries all over the place, while enemies are not reacting to any of it.

I did like some of the new moves, like diving out of the cardboard box, and shaking your prosthetic hand to attract attention (I really missed that in GZ, where we could only use empty ammo magazines to attract attention**). Motherbase looks interesting, and I can't wait to see what can happen when enemies attack it. And Phantom Cigar is a great way of speeding up time, especially with that ability to see guards changing shifts in real-time. Also - love the horse stealth! Even though I'd like if enemies paid some (more) attention to the passing horse, since it seems that they were oblivious to it in that early part of the demo. Which leads me to my next point - am I the only one who thought that enemies could've reacted more/better to Snake here and there? That horse stealth is one example. Him moving in the cardboard box is another, and better one - it seems to me like enemies only reacted to it when they saw it moving in front of them, and not while it was moving in their peripheral vision. Maybe if they were more sensitive to sounds...

And one more thing about fulton - I'd really like if they restricted it somehow (for example - give you limited number of fulton baloons, which you can then upgrade or find more of them in the game, like other weapons or ammo).

In short, I like what they have shown, but I want to like (love) it much more. Some systems seem kinda overpowered from what they've shown, and from my experience from Ground Zeroes.

* - Yeah, I know we can turn it off, and I still haven't played enough of the Ground Zeroes with it turned off, but when we do turn it off, we're left with that... I won't say awful, but certainly worse detection system than in some of the previous games. I'd really like if they went with MGS 3 detection system (disclaimer: I'm not 100% sure if it was like this, but even if it wasn't, the next part seems better to me) - when one guard sees you and shouts, let him alert nearby guards, but don't let him instantly raise the alarm in the whole base. Give guards radios like they had in MGS 3, and let us shoot the radios to disable reinforcements.

** - If empty ammo magazines do return, please, please make them somehow limited. I really have no idea why they were unlimited in GZ, but now that I think about it, maybe because we didn't have any other means of attracting enemy attention without exposing ourselves too much.

jett

D-Member
I don't like the whole fulton stuff, didn't like it in PW, don't like it here. Seems almost cheating that you can just make bodies disappear like that. And the whole mechanic is just weird. It's not particularly useful when MGS5 becomes a kidnapping simulator in TP, but I liked having to plan when and where to call for a extraction in GZ.

Then again, I kind of hated the mother base micromanagement in PW, I haven't really seen anything that would make me not hate in this game. What can't I just get a freaking stealth game, period. :|

Other than that, it was an okay gameplay demonstration. Not particularly eye-opening or revelatory after the write-ups or to someone that has played 30 hours of Ground Zeroes. :p It was all about fultoning everything you see and the cardboard box.

Betty

Banned
That, and Reflex Mode was triggered several times -- a mechanic that won't always bail the player out.

And can be turned off just like In ground Zeroes, much like most of the on screen prompts, reticules, markers and most of the HUD can be toggled on or off as well.

Mr. RHC

My biggest problem with fulton is, how the hell do guards not notice a jeep parachuting up into the air?

Just kills the immersion for me.

At no point in the game will you be forced to fulton a sheep, or use the box, or even do anything suspiscious.(I'm assuming that now, to be fair).

Afaik however, there are a few mission where you need to develop items to progress in Peace Walker and you can only do that when you have fulton'd enough techies.

We will see if this carries over to TPP.

A mechanic that is also optional.

And can be turned off just like In ground Zeroes, much like most of the on screen prompts, reticules, markers and most of the HUD can be toggled on or off as well.

Right! That's what I was saying, guys. :) All of these mechanics are optional, so if a player doesn't like them - turn it off! (Was just adding to your point that the game was being played by a designer and these features aren't as overpowered as one may make them out to be.)

valkyre

Did the sounds when he collects the diamonds sounded so off to you as they did to me? They seem completely out of place, like they are coming from a Mario game.

Mr. RHC

yes it had some moments of comedy too, not arguing about that. but the tone in the game has been changed big since then.

The tone often has changed in this series. That does not mean that the comic relief has to be removed.

Why would you even suggest that?

Pachimari

Hai. Links in the OP.

EDIT:Beaten.

Oh, I started this one up already and it was Japanese language. I guess the English speaking guys are taking over. I'll keep watching then. :)

Bosses are actually something which I'm really concerned about in MGS5. I enjoyed the boss battles in Peace Walker in multiplayer, but they never really fealt like "MGS" boss battles to me. In the same way most of the boss battles in MGS4 were a step down from before. So it's been ages since we've had really memorable MGS style boss fights which were designed as really fun action game boss encounters. With MGS5 moving into open world, I'm not sure if bosses are even something Kojima really cares much about anymore. I hope I'm wrong. :(

The helicopter thing is pretty funny too. I always assumed when playing PW that Fulton was how you got back to mother base at the end of missions. Lol. It just seems to much more efficient. :p
Imagine a sniper battle with Quiet in a desert town while a sandstorm rages.

Right! That's what I was saying, guys. :) All of these mechanics are optional, so if a player doesn't like them - turn it off!

The good thing about MGSV is that when the dev tells you the mechanics are optional, it's actually a believable statement, because it does seem like none of the levels are designed around rigid gameplay mechanics. (I'm looking at you, Splinter Cell Convictions)

Players who want to immerse themselves into 'full-realism experience' by not using Fulton so regularly doesn't seem to be handicapped in the least in terms of gameplay, nor does it feel like you're losing out.

Sn4ke_911

yes it had some moments of comedy too, not arguing about that. but the tone in the game has been changed big since then.

not really, TPP will be the darkest MGS game yet, not sure what you're trying to say here...

Right! That's what I was saying, guys. :) All of these mechanics are optional, so if a player doesn't like them - turn it off! (Was just adding to your point that the game was being played by a designer and these features aren't as overpowered as one may make them out to be.)

As long as the game doesn't force you to build Mother Base to a certain level to progress. :(

Not building the Mother Base up would be a nice way to artificially increase the game's difficulty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom