• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain E3 Full Gameplay Demo [Up: NEW official version!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right! That's what I was saying, guys. :) All of these mechanics are optional, so if a player doesn't like them - turn it off! (Was just adding to your point that the game was being played by a designer and these features aren't as overpowered as one may make them out to be.)

Problem is that turning it off makes it incredibly hard to take an enemy out before they sound an alarm. It'd be nice if they gave you a slightly longer window between being seen and the guy radioing for backup.

WITHE1982

Fultons cost money and it's not always certain to work, especially in sandstorms. Helicopter extraction is apparently free.

So basically because Snake is a tight ass.

*Radio clicks*
Snake: "Snake here. Gonna Fulton myself for immediate extraction as area is hot"
Radio Operator: "Sure thing sir, That'll be a one off payment of $150 or why not spread the cost with 3 easy payments of $49.95"
Snake: "erm on second thoughts just send in a chopper."

JawzPause

I don't like the parachute thing. I mean i know MGS isn't exactly the most realistic game but it just seems silly. It sort of suited PW but I'm not sure it suits MGS5.

The good thing about MGSV is that when the dev tells you the mechanics are optional, it's actually a believable statement, because it does seem like none of the levels are designed around rigid gameplay mechanics. (I'm looking at you, Splinter Cell Convictions)

Players who want to immerse themselves into 'full-realism experience' by not using Fulton so regularly doesn't seem to be handicapped in the least in terms of gameplay, nor does it feel like you're losing out.

Yeah, for sure! I was surprised that I could literally turn everything off in Ground Zeroes, and it didn't break the game.

Problem is that turning it off makes it incredibly hard to take an enemy out before they sound an alarm. It'd be nice if they gave you a slightly longer window between being seen and the guy radioing for backup.

Actually, in The Phantom Pain, guards will have to call in for backup. Unlike Ground Zeroes, in which the base insta-Alerts when the player is detected!

It's confirmed other players can attack your mother base and steal your stuff. I'm guessing that mother base thing will be a big part of the new Metal Gear Online.

Damn I haven't been keeping up. This all sounds great, tying the SP with the MP like this. Can't wait to invade bases and see how they set everything up, and then figuring out a way to make an impregnable fortress for myself.

pronk420

yeah i didn't like the fulton stuff, from what i remembered the balloons were oddly invisible to enemies even when they were in places where they would obviously be seen, although i'm not sure about that. i hope they include something like that in this, so that there is still some challenge to getting rid of bodies.

new Metal Gear Online.

have they said this is happening? oh god that would be amazing

Mr. RHC

That's the idea behind getting spotted. Ideally, if it wasn't so easy to escape, you would get a game over screen once the alarm goes off, unless you are really good at hiding.

Liamario

Banned
I don't know why Kojima would feel depressed about MGSV in comparison to GTAV. They are both very different games and MGSV looks fucking stunning and at 1080p 60fps no less; it can't come soon enough.

Have we been given any hints as to a release date?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Bosses are actually something which I'm really concerned about in MGS5. I enjoyed the boss battles in Peace Walker in multiplayer, but they never really fealt like "MGS" boss battles to me. In the same way most of the boss battles in MGS4 were a step down from before. So it's been ages since we've had really memorable MGS style boss fights which were designed as really fun action game boss encounters. With MGS5 moving into open world, I'm not sure if bosses are even something Kojima really cares much about anymore. I hope I'm wrong.

Let's be fair here, PW was designed from the ground up around the (limited) hardware. PW's bosses are one blemish in a series known for it's amazing boss battles. It's like, if you had sex and it was great except for the last time (that one time), it doesn't automatically mean it's going to be shit forevermore, y'know?

duckroll

Imagine a sniper battle with Quiet in a desert town while a sandstorm rages.

I imaged a boss battle in Peace Walker with Zadornov, where he would run around like the old MGS bosses, and fire stuff from his robot arm which I had to avoid, etc. It would have been awesome, the engine was clearly capable of it, and it made sense in the story. But it never happened in the game. Instead you have a ton of nonsense "Find Zadornov!!!" missions at the end of the game. Lame as hell.

Let's be fair here, PW was designed around the (limited) hardware from the ground up. PW's bosses are one blemish in a series known for it's amazing boss battles. It's like, if you had sex and it was great except for the last time, doesn't automatically mean it's going to be shit forevermore, y'know?

MGS4 bosses were pretty poor too.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Or give them the power of sight, that'd be cool.

It was a gameplay PRESENTATION. Jackie prepped this whole thing for 1000 hours. It all was plant not getting caught until the end. So when he fultons the jeep he knew no guard could see it. I'm pretty sure if you fulton a container near a guard they would notice.

Let's be fair here, PW was designed around the (limited) hardware from the ground up. PW's bosses are one blemish in a series known for it's amazing boss battles. It's like, if you had sex and it was great except for the last time, doesn't automatically mean it's going to be shit forevermore, y'know?

PW boss battles were also designed to be replayed repeatedly/endlessly to grind for parts.

strafer

Calm down, calm down, here's your horse poop

vdrqlx.gif

ianrxuwv.gif

Kojima stated that he includes all this weird stuff in the gameplay so that the player can take some of that stress off when experiencing the dry and serious cutscenes. LOL.

Yeah, for sure! I was surprised that I could literally turn everything off in Ground Zeroes, and it didn't break the game.

Actually, in The Phantom Pain, guards will have to call in for backup. Unlike Ground Zeroes, in which the base insta-Alerts when the player is detected!

Good to hear, do you have a source for that?

That's the idea behind getting spotted. Ideally, if it wasn't so easy to escape, you would get a game over screen once the alarm goes off, unless you are really good at hiding.

Having the whole base go on alert within 2 seconds of being spotted by a guard in GZ was bullshit, sorry. I'd have preferred it if they did it like in MGS2, but with a smaller timeframe so it wouldn't be so easy to take an enemy out before he radios in.

Mr. RHC

I imaged a boss battle in Peace Walker with Zadornov, where he would run around like the old MGS bosses, and fire stuff from his robot arm which I had to avoid, etc. It would have been awesome, the engine was clearly capable of it, and it made sense in the story. But it never happened in the game. Instead you have a ton of nonsense "Find Zadornov!!!" missions at the end of the game. Lame as hell.

I would not exactly call the Zadornov missions nonsense, at least they were not your generic 1 vs 1 gun fight, which I would have appreciated as well but PW clearly was all about the mech bosses, which I found pretty cool.

Vire

A little annoyed to see the reticule still freak out and get caught on walls like that.

One of my biggest complaints in Ground Zeroes... fucked up my S ranks many times.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

I dunno, MGS4 was clearly a case of Kojima dragging his feet in places, but I liked Laughing Octopus, Advent Palace, Vamp, Crying Wolf, the Metal Gear tete-a-tete, Screaming Mantis and the tramp fight at the end. Not all series highlights, sure, but they were probably some of the best parts of the game.

Mr. RHC

Having the whole base go on alert within 2 seconds of being spotted by a guard in GZ was bullshit, sorry. I'd have preferred it if they did it like in MGS2, but with a smaller timeframe so it wouldn't be so easy to take an enemy out before he radios in.

Fair enough, that's a good point, I agree.

duckroll

The RAY fight tho

I think the problem with MGS4 is that the entire game was built on being a pure spectacle. It's like a huge Summer Blockbuster with insane special effects and huge set pieces. The first time you go through it, it's like "OMG WOW LOOK AT ALL THIS OMG!!!!". But every time I replayed parts of it after the initial hype, it's clearly not a particularly good game. There are some really fun parts, and not all the bosses are bad, but a lot of it sacrifices actual gameplay for spectacle instead - like the Ray fight and the final "boss" fight which are really just glorified QTEs.

Pachimari

I don't understand why there's Japanese voices and no English voices in the demonstration I'm watching...

EDIT:
Nevermind. It's English now.

A little annoyed to see the reticule still freak out and get caught on walls like that.

One of my biggest complaints in Ground Zeroes... fucked up my S ranks many times.

Isn't it just compensating to show where you'll actually hit an object, so it doesn't screw up your aim up close?

I think the problem with MGS4 is that the entire game was built on being a pure spectacle. It's like a huge Summer Blockbuster with insane special effects and huge set pieces. The first time you go through it, it's like "OMG WOW LOOK AT ALL THIS OMG!!!!". But every time I replayed parts of it after the initial hype, it's clearly not a particularly good game. There are some really fun parts, and not all the bosses are bad, but a lot of it sacrifices actual gameplay for spectacle instead - like the Ray fight and the final "boss" fight which are really just glorified QTEs.
Yeah, I get what you mean. Compared to most bosses in the series, they are a bit underwhelming, yes. But seeing them for what they are, I still really enjoy them.

I could do without another Crying Wolf battle though.

co1onel

It's showing you that you're aiming at the wall. It would probably mess you up more if it wasn't there because you'd be shooting at walls when you didn't realize it.

Looking at Snake actually climbing into his supply box I wonder if that's what C.boxes were going to be reduced to before they decided to bring them back Though looking at all the daft stuff in this game I question if they were ever genuinely going to remove it.

So popping in and out the top, being able to Fulton and hold up guards from inside, and exploding out the front flap are all features of the Level One cardboard box? At this rate, Level 5 is just going to be a straight up Metal Gear.

Heh, it probably just has different camo abilities and things like that, I doubt the moves will change.

Vire

It's showing you that you're aiming at the wall. It would probably mess you up more if it wasn't there because you'd be shooting at walls when you didn't realize it.

I have no problem aiming in any other third person shooter where the reticule doesn't spaz.

Betty

Banned
I have no problem aiming in any other third person shooter where the reticule doesn't spaz.

That's because almost every other third person shooter won't recognize there's an object in your way and adjust your aim accordingly. If you use first person mode in MGSV though you basically remove this issue completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom