• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain E3 Full Gameplay Demo [Up: NEW official version!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only complain is that fulton doesn't seem to attract guards who should clearly see and hear their friends fly into the air.

Kinda wish there was a minimum range you need to have no alerts when you folton. Along with guards not seeing as far or having the cone of visions I think they should, but maybe I can just turn up the difficulty.

Okay, this looked incredible, but I have a few things I'd like to say.

Come on, people saying this is the best gameplay of the series, must have never played MGS3 or 4. GZ and probably TPP are just an upgraded version of PW.
1).
CQC as it is now is just breaking my MGS fan heart,
2).
AI seems as stupid as in GZ, and that sucks. The fact they are playing it on normal probably doesn't help, but I HATE the fact I have to play my missions on normal before I have the right to tackle them on hard. PLEASE KojiPro, do something about that.
3).
INSTANT FUCKING ALERT is still there.
4).
I don't like at all the fact there's going to be infinite Fulton. Really not at all. I see this suffering from the Assassins Creed syndrome already, where after 10 hours of gameplay you have enough money to buy the entire city ... thrice. The mother base management is supposed to be substantial from what I can tell, I'd like it to be something I have to really work for in order to have a great MB instead of picking up diamonds under a tree that would let me fulton HUNDREDS of jeeps (if there were as many in one mission area). If there are going to be hundreds of mission like in PW, 10 to 15 fultons per missions would suffice.
5).
Haven't seen the reactions of an hold-up ennemy, so I can't tell but I have the feeling it's the same crap as in GZ. Now we have hold-ups thanks to which ennemies don't represent a threat at all anymore combined to infinite fulton air recovery that lets us put them away for good.

COME ON, am I the only one eho sees a problem with that?

Dynamic weather and stealth in an open world are really great, especially if you throw some MGS in it, but I can't get 100% excited for the game knowing that some of the core aspects like AI, and hold ups (which were perfectly viable 10 and 12 years ago) had to be changed to something immersion breaking.

I just don't get the logic behind it??? Attempt to create a living, breathing world to complement the stealth, but forget all about what you achieved a decade ago, stealth wise. It seems to me Kojima wants to showcase the foxengine more than anything else.

Does he think people don't pay attention to that kind of detail? I've come to expect more of him than that.

That said, I might be getting ahead of myself, since we're still far away from release, but I can't help but feel that what we got in GZ is pretty much representative of what we'll be getting in TPP ... and the more I play GZ the less I like it, partly due to the aforementioned points.

Agreed with all of your points. It's a shame I have to force myself to play MGS in a certain way to avoid these limitations.

The instant-alert is stupid.

Fulton is neat, and fun. But infinite fulton? It just breaks the game for me. I guess I can 'not use it', but still. It totally breaks the immersion for me.

Ranger35

Neo Member
I loved the walkthrough, the game looks awesome, and very dynamic. As someone new to the series, I'm more excited to jump into metal gear than ever. Given that, I wanted to address some of the issues being brought up in the thread concerning the fulton system.

I really don't see the issue with the fulton system, in any aspect really. It adds to the game in the base building aspect, makes it a more interesting element. The only issue I'm seeing from other people is that it makes hiding bodies a non-issue. To that mindset, I would disagree; I don't really see the problems.

You see, if the fulton system is the be all end all, you are saying that you will never, ever slip up while playing. You will always have the time and space to hook up bodies to the fulton system. Never have to deal with guards on patrol, guards in close proximity, drones, etc. On a separate note, did we even see how it handles dead bodies? I only remember knocked out guards being hooked up. Maybe you can't hook up dead bodies and still have to deal with hiding them.

Lastly, it comes down to player choice, and the question of "do people who play video games have self control?". Obviously they do, so it comes down to how they want to handle the situation. I like to think about it like far cry 3, watch dogs, or other similar games I can't think of at the moment. Sure, you can go in guns blazing, you can make people explode, you can set them on fire, but you don't have to. You can sneak in, you can hack in, you can go stealth, you can ditch stealth to start shooting people. In this case, don't hide bodies using the fulton system. Leave them there for you to deal with, either by having them found or hiding them.

Games aren't perfect, maybe they need better A.I. or the mechanics could be improved. If that's an issue, do what I do if you want to and purposefully hinder yourself to make the game more interesting. Sure it could be argued that you shouldn't have to, but that's not the reality we face. For instance, the criminal encounters in watch dogs. Sometimes it was kinda easy to take down the criminal, or they haven't started shooting yet. If you want a more exciting experience, simply don't take them down immediately.

Or another situation in watch dogs. Sure, you could handle every car chase with hacks to stop them soon. However maybe you don't hack the stoplight and you decide to take them down by ramming their car. Maybe you give them a head start, I don't know, but it's possible, and quite fun.

What I do know however is that some people who play RPG games make rules for themselves to follow to make the game more interesting. Other people just don't seem to notice that you can do the same for non RPG games. Honestly this situation reminds me of an article on a game news website talking about skyrim mods and console commands being bad because you can abuse them and you have to resist using them.

Grisby

ewhzat.gif

We've reached the pinnacle of cardboard box stealth combat.
What on earth. Does he have an ejection seat in there? He could point it upwards and the game could become Just Cause or something.

Amazing.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Just listening to Calling to the Night, Heavens Divide and Sins of the Father while watching the gameplay video again.

*GOOSEBUMPS OVERLOAD*

That looked fantastic. Not that I needed selling on the game after GZ and the incredible E3 trailers.

Every series evolves over time and as a Metal Gear fan since the launch of MGS on PS1 I actually appreciate the additions to the game. Not that everything seems perfect and some of the changes are for the worse but generally this is looking like it will be every bit as great as previous mainline entries.

Ephemeris

I just need the gaming gods to allow Rocksteady to reveal the Arkham Knight video they showed behind closed doors as well.

Sn4ke_911

What on earth. Does he have an ejection seat in there? He could point it upwards and the game could become Just Cause or something.

Amazing.

Fuck realism, seriously this is such a smart and fantastic new feature. Normally if a guard sees you in the box you're pretty much fucked, now you can use the box as a decoy.

Brilliant!

You had a lot more options in MGS4 as to how incapacitate an enemy, and Snake, while feeling more rigid, had a lot more moves than BB has in GZ.

Did he? The only difference between MGS4's CQC and what we have here is that you can no longer crouch while holding enemies or do the thing where you kneel down on top of them and choke them out. And the pat down/crotch squeeze is gone, too. What we've gained, however, is the ability to call other guys over, to disarm and use the enemy's weapon immediately, a much longer punch/kick combo that can be transitioned into a disarm or hold or throw at any point, as well as the multi-person takedowns from Peace Walker and a whole bunch of context- and location-sensitive instant takedowns. You can now wake a sleeping enemy with a single kick (just like the guards have always done), and the fireman's carry is so much better than dragging guys around by their feet.

If you're talking about basic traversal moves, it's the same thing again. We've lost the creepy worm crawl from MGS4, but now Big Boss can now seamlessly go from crawling to crouch-walking to jogging to sprinting to belly-sliding and back again. You can crawl onto your belly and roll onto your back and shoot a guy and go back to your belly without stopping. You can climb pretty much anything in the environment. You can explode out of cardboard boxes and dive off horses and out of Jeeps. There's never been a more mobile or capable gameplay version of Snake in any Metal Gear.

Pachimari

I'm just thinking the cost of fultoning should probably me higher? It costs 300 GMP for each fulton, while he got like 36.000 GMP from those diamonds found. The diamonds may be rare, but if you find them, then you'll have "unlimited" funds for fultoning.

oldboss

same here... Its atleast unfathomable to even suggest that MGSV isnt the pinnacle of gameplay the series ever had.

Well, good sir, if you had taken the time to read my post, you would have realized which aspects I criticized.

But I guess if you think every single change in gameplay in GZ is better compared to the other numbered entries in the series, there's not much I can do. Some aspects just can't be considered an evolution (mainly talking about hold ups here).

TPP is my dream game and I will love it like I love (Kojima) and every single MGS (except PW), from the bottom of my heart, but some of you guys are really blind sometimes.

vpance

Re: Diamond sounds and flying sheep stuff - it seems Kojima is overcompensating for the darker storyline and themes by dialing up the degree of the humorous elements.

w00zey

I don't have time to read through all of these posts but has anyone brought up the fact that parachuting enemies out should alert the whole damn camp? Maybe one goes up without notice but holy shit he just keeps sending parachutes in the sky.

Ranger35

Neo Member
I'm just thinking the cost of fultoning should probably me higher? It costs 300 GMP for each fulton, while he got like 36.000 GMP from those diamonds found. The diamonds may be rare, but if you find them, then you'll have "unlimited" funds for fultoning.

Don't forget building mother base from one structure to many, could cost a pretty penny. However if building mother base isn't as expensive as you'd expect, then yeah, perhaps a price increase would be a good idea.

Do you really think in-game economy specifics have been ironed-out at this point?

People really should wait for the final game before getting worked up on this stuff.

Fuck realism, seriously this is such a smart and fantastic new feature. Normally if a guard sees you in the box you're pretty much fucked, now you can use the box as a decoy.

Brilliant!
Not if you can easily CQC him when he approaches (and noone else sees you), and I think it'll be possible in TPP. (edit: but yes, that move was indeed great/I have no problems with it being unrealistic, unlike the crazy "fulton everything" philosophy they've shown here).

Also, to people that keep saying that guards do react to fultoning system, pointing to that one guard who was behind the jeep - I think he reacted to Snake being on the other side of the jeep when it went up.

I really hope they'll tone some of the things down - restrict fultons, get rid of the instant alert (it seems it's still in there... fake edit: or not, seems like that guard did use his radio to alert others, but I'm not sure, that part of the scene was pretty dark), and make enemies smarter/not oblivious to the shit happening around them. Also, I really hope they'll give us more difficulty options from the beginning. Also also, it's kinda funny how he got S rank with that one alert, later using fucking artillery and killing dozen of people.

I really want to love this game, but some of the things they've shown so far got me slightly worried :(

Sn4ke_911

What's funny is Ocelot looks a lot like Troy Baker (his voice actor) but Snake looks nothing like Kiefer Sutherland.

2014-06-1916_12_07-meeml4k.png

Sn4ke_911

DAT MUSIC AT THE BEGINNING HNNNG... must be our first taste of Harry Gregson-Williams score.

Yeah like a few people have been mentioning, that whole part with silent Big Boss seemed really weird. I'm hoping that kind of stuff is a rare occurrence, or just Kojima being weird, and not someone at Konami saying "fuck! Kiefer Sutherland has to go be Jack Bauer for a while and he's not coming back to do these extra lines, hurry and edit these cutscenes so we can turn Ocelot into Alyx Vance for a bit and Big Boss won't have to talk."

very interested after watching that. I havent played ground zeros, but i'll have to pick it up now. Originally i was turned off by the drastic changes between GZ and MGS4, but i'll definitely give it a shot now.

Only thirty more years!

Almost there!

That made me want a CE that comes with a toy phantom cig that goes WOAHHHHHHHHHH AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH when you press a button.

Ha! Yes, agreed. I'm down, would pre-order today!

What's funny is Ocelot looks a lot like Troy Baker (his voice actor) but Snake looks nothing like Kiefer Sutherland.

2014-06-1916_12_07-meeml4k.png

Dude, actually... In the final scene of the demo, when Snake puts on the Kojima Productions patch... his facial animation looks straight-up like it was taken from a scene of Jack Bauer on 24!

And also...

Because Troy Baker is a handsome motherfucker and nobody can escape his influence.

This.

Spaghetti

Well considering PC is still waiting for GZ (I'm sure they could outsource the port) I don't think anyone should really expect a TPP PC version.

Although I would love it.
ehhh, kojipro is busy with the phantom pain right now but you can be sure they'll be the ones to put the pc version together. besides, it was always a given that any pc version would be gz+tpp as a single mgsv package anyway, hence no need for a gz port.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Just listening to Calling to the Night, Heavens Divide and Sins of the Father while watching the gameplay video again.

*GOOSEBUMPS OVERLOAD*

Why not Nuclear as well? THE BEST.

Did he? The only difference between MGS4's CQC and what we have here is that you can no longer crouch while holding enemies

You can still do that, at least in GZ. Hell, they even let you move enemies while crouching, which is a nice touch.

Definitely agree regarding gameplay options, I'm loving the flexibility now, and how you can actually feel like Big Boss during gameplay, rather than having the cooler CQC stuff only in cutscenes like in MGS4. Figuring out that you could disarm enemies and hold them up in GZ was amazing, and it was something I had wanted to do since MGS3.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Is the Mother Base management stuff optional? I think the game looks great but I couldn't care less for that aspect.

Hope they can get the pop-in a little less prominent, or at least a smoother transition.

Yea, on the graphical standpoint if they can't get that shit in order on the current generation of consoles something is seriously borked with the FOX engine.

We know they created FOX under the concept of scalability between platforms, but something ain't right if they can't keep a decent view distance with 6GB of memory available.

For this game, this is my biggest fear. Because the pop-in from GZ was fucking horrible and quite pathetic for a modern game to have, regardless of cross-generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom