• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain E3 Full Gameplay Demo [Up: NEW official version!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Betty

Banned
Is the Mother Base management stuff optional? I think the game looks great but I couldn't care less for that aspect.

It doesn't look like it will be optional, but how much time you spend with it is up to you: go crazy customizing and picking out the exact items you want or just fulton the soldiers you need to improve your base to build better tech and get on with the main game.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
The problem for me is that most of them were poor rehases from past MGS games...

That was kind of the point, I guess. MGS4 was meant to be something of a Greatest Hits package and a send off "for the fans". I prefer it when Kojima doesn't do the fan service and just does his own thing personally.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
E3 2013 trailer
2014-06-1916_29_53-e31gsci.png

Kojima Station 2014
2014-06-1916_29_43-me0us5d.png

Snake's little backpack looks even more detailed now. Also looks like the terrain changed a bit, more trees.

Holy shit at the amount of new gadgets/options/moves on display. I just hope the game isn't too easy because of this. Media blackout time. This better make it out next year!

That was kind of the point, I guess. MGS4 was meant to be something of a Greatest Hits package and a send off "for the fans". I prefer it when Kojima doesn't do the fan service and just does his own thing personally.

Seriously, almost all of my low points with the series came about because of fan service.

Fuck the fans, just give me your vision.

DOWNGRADATON

I'm honestly not sure which I prefer, but I know I'll be happy with the end result, so I'm fine with whatever! :)

I don't think much changed.

It's a different time of day with different cloud coverage, so obviously the lighting won't match.

Some of the terrain changed, but it's nothing major. Seems mostly the same with a few more details here and there.

Kaljinyu

It's similar but has enough unique design to it to be different. You can also change the color of the base, orange is just one option.

It's not just orange, but it's got CYPHER-looking Kidnappers patrolling the area, are the similarities on purpose? At least in that video?

I have a feeling this is going to be the best Metal Gear to date. The gameplay looks SO deep and the world so rich in detail. Day. Fucking. One.

When is it coming out Hideo???

I don't think much changed.

It's a different time of day with different cloud coverage, so obviously the lighting won't match.

Some of the terrain changed, but it's nothing major. Seems mostly the same with a few more details here and there.

Agreed. (To that point, I also like that the passage of time/weather effects are not just gimmicks and actually have the ability to shape a mission.)

stream quality VS direct footage...

I was kidding...

/XX/

I keep expecting the idroid to tell him to "please mind the gap"
Pretty spot on comparison, as she did something like that as part of her job in Japan too!

Let's be fair here, PW was designed from the ground up around the (limited) hardware. PW's bosses are one blemish in a series known for it's amazing boss battles. It's like, if you had sex and it was great except for the last time (that one time), it doesn't automatically mean it's going to be shit forevermore, y'know?
Exactly, and I'm quite excited about what it could be done in that matter for this game! I can't remember if he talked about this 'game bosses' topic at other interviews, but on one made for Spanish outlet Meristation during the latest press event helm at KONAMI's 'Nasu Corporate Seminar House', Mr. Kojima mentioned interesting things about upcoming MGSV bosses battles; in particular, he said (and I'll paraphrase it) that they are "designing something completely different than what they've done before for boss battles", including "the necessity for the player of doing very specific triggering events to unlock some of the encounters, while others will be present during more linear missions" that the player will have to affront to progress in the story, similarly to previous games in the saga.

Either way, he seems pretty excited about how they are going to do it, so there is apparently a clear interest for his part in preparing unique boss battles again!

Betty

Banned
It's not just orange, but it's got CYPHER-looking Kidnappers patrolling the area, are the similarities on purpose? At least in that video?

Maybe, perhaps the canon will now say the inspiration for Big Shell came from this base. In any case Kojima was the one who probably customized the base to look more like Big Shell, so he probably did it to evoke nostalgic feelings.

Um

Does Kiefer not speak at all during this demo?

He speaks when telling the horse to halt and when holding up a guard.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Grinning like a shithead watching this on the train. That e-cig time passage, that raw diamond collextion. RIP Atelier series.

Only thing better would be if snake calls the horse with 'Agro'

I can't wait to see the extent of the customisation for Mother Base. Peace Walker's much-vaunted 'base-building' was never anything more than sorting guys into the units they were best suited for, but here it sounds like you actually get to design the entire base yourself, right down to the colours and number of goats.

mattp

so far it looks like they didn't change my biggest issue with ground zeroes
reflex mode is a bandaid that's only necessary because they, for some reason, went back to the instant alert system from mgs1(and 2? i forget)
i don't know why they dropped the system where getting spotted by an enemy means only THAT enemy is alerted to you. and they have to radio it in for everyone to go on full alert
it's so much better that way

reflex mode is a bandaid that's only necessary because they, for some reason, went back to the instant alert system from mgs1(and 2? i forget)
i don't know why they dropped the system where getting spotted by an enemy means only THAT enemy is alerted to you. and they have to radio it in for everyone to go on full alert

MGS2 didn't have instant alert, you had a pretty generous amount of time to interrupt an enemy from radioing in to HQ. Though if you did interrupt a call, they'd send in a team to search for the missing guard. 2 had probably the most lethal guards, with infinitely respawning backup when in alert mode, and the ability to sweep rooms.

Betty

Banned

Reflex can be turned off and when used lowers your rating, and people at E3 said they already fixed the instant alert issue.

mattp

MGS2 didn't have instant alert, you had a pretty generous amount of time to interrupt an enemy from radioing in to HQ. Though if you did interrupt a call, they'd send in a team to search for the missing guard.

yeah thats right. i wasnt sure if it started with 2 or 3. but my point still stands

edit:
Reflex can be turned off and when used lowers your rating, and people at E3 said they already fixed the instant alert issue.

yeah i know you can turn off reflex. but are you telling me they brought back the "guy has to radio for help" thing when you get caught? if so, thats great news. its the only thing i didnt like about the gameplay and systems in ground zeroes

Batzi

Banned
The attention to detail is remarkable. Sweet Jesus. I'm watching it again -- still in awe.
I want a 1080p60fps uncompressed download of all that beauty! PLEASE KOJIMA DO IT!

is it normal that I get more excitement from this demonstration than I get from a girl?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
E3 2013 trailer
2014-06-1916_53_26-e3f1djg.png

Kojima Station 2014
2014-06-1916_53_15-me5hcmp.png

Fuck, we need direct feed footage. Kojima pls.

Didn't people at E3 only see the same footage we have here? Because you can see as soon as he Fultons the POW, a guy spots him, the player misses the Reflex Mode shot, then the guy shouts and it's pretty much an immediate base-wide Alert with three more guys showing up to shoot you. Maybe it's just a scripted thing for this tightly controlled demo, I guess.

It's not exactly unrealistic, though. Guards calling in to HQ made sense in MGS2 because they were separated into small areas on the Tanker and Big Shell. Here, though, and same thing with Ground Zeroes, you've got a few dozen guys all patrolling within shouting distance of eachother. All it should take is one guy shouting 'CONTACT' for everyone in the area to come running.

oldboss

Well the demo was played in exactly the same way as it was for E3. You can tell from earlier gifs.

When Tan intentionally misses his shot (in order to show off the airstrike) you can still make out "CONTACT", alhough with a different intonation, coming from the russian guard who just spotted you. Alert is given right thereafter.
Instant alert is still probably there.

@ matrix-cat : :eek: you were faster !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom