• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain E3 Full Gameplay Demo [Up: NEW official version!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Well that's kind of a relief.

Haven't played peace walker so I'm unfamiliar with it. Is this how it worked in PW? It just seems so counter intuitive to have this carefully crafted stealth game but have this loud showy mechanic that the player just has to get used to being the exception to the "no noise / don't be seen rule". Hope it's fixed or removed altogether.

It worked fine in PW and was balanced, you started off only being able to carry a limited amount of Fultons, plus your base is small starting out limiting the people you can recruit. The Fulton system works really great but I was surprised to hear it ws being brought over to MGSV because it's so silly. PW is a silly, stupid and amazingly fun game but everything Kojima says about MGSV is all about seriousness and hatred, and race. And yet, we can balloon enemies and use cardboard boxes in a silly manner. It once again highlights that ever present Kojima problem regarding tonal inconsistencies, but while they could be forgiven in past game it doesnt seem that way for this whole serious MGSV.

I'm still gonna love the game but it's just gonna be even harder to take it seriously with these mechanics.

I assume there is some reason why Big Boss can't have the shrapnel removed from his head.
And yet by the time of Metal Gear 1 it has gone, so he must get it removed at some point.

Because he's a demon!

Kinyou

The demo was constructed to try and show off functionality as it appears in the game right now without regard for gameplay balance.

I hope this clears things up.

EDIT: Made simpler.
That's good to know. I actually enjoyed in Ground Zeroes that I had to "manage" knocked out enemies again by hiding them in a good spot and eventually putting another tranq round in them. That sort of gameplay got kind of lost with the new splinter cell or Deus Ex where knocked out enemies just sleep forever unless they're discovered.

cackhyena

That's good to know. I actually enjoyed in Ground Zeroes that I had to "manage" knocked out enemies again by hiding them in a good spot and eventually putting another tranq round in them. That sort of gameplay got kind of lost with the new splinter cell or Deus Ex where knocked out enemies just sleep forever unless they're discovered.

Unless you just held them up. The entire base could be held up and no one gets the balls to challenge you. Wish they'd rectify that. Biiiig oversight.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
original.jpg

Trust me when I say (and I believe many would agree) that the Fulton system is a little more eloquent than the recruitment system in Portable Ops. Balloons and helicopters is preferred to dragging people to an anchored drop off spot.

Portable Ops recruitment system was the worst.

It's more 'realistic', but boy was it a major gameplay buzz kill.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I like the idea of it, personally, but I'm fine with it not being the case. Overall, though, I've never played these games for the story, so ti doesn't matter that much. I'm much more about the stealth.

You're good people. :) I love the ham but it's the gameplay that keeps me coming back.

Spaghetti

if the phantom pain is making appearances at gamescom/tgs/pax/eurogamer expo, might it be a good idea to start giving hands-on demos for the press and public. if there's still work to be done in terms of balancing it might be a good idea to actually get some people in to give feedback, there's only so much we can do by eyeballing it.

Thanks DieH@rd and Vire for the replies! :)

All you really need to do is play Ground Zeroes, it will catch you up on the main players you need to know about and get you primed for the game.

If you like the gameplay here, Ground Zeroes is very similar.

Sounds good, I'll have to take a look.

Thanks again.

Batzi

Banned
@ToraShiro: A clean version of the gameplay demonstration on Youtube is very much appreciated! :) Please let us know when we can expect that :)

mishakoz

I'm sure its been said, but this Fulton thing destroys the entire illusion of stealth. I know its one of those quirky metal gear things but cmon, you cant have guys screaming through the air when you are sneaking around.

Tookay

At the end, they'll probably remove it and he will almost die so then they'll tie his life support system into an orbital frame and that's where ZOE3 begins.

But that'd ruin the story!!!

I'm in. :)

I'm sure its been said, but this Fulton thing destroys the entire illusion of stealth. I know its one of those quirky metal gear things but cmon, you cant have guys screaming through the air when you are sneaking around.

I agree. It's a little too much.

Musolf815

My guess is that it might kill him.

It might be falling out of his head (metaphorically his horn is "growing" as he becomes a demon) so by the end of the game it might fall out. Though Kojima did say this one would have things that don't match up with the rest of the series storywise, didn't he?

UrbanRats

No? why did people miss the "SPIT IT OUT" or telling the horse to slow down?

Because after being such a chatty dude, him not even answering back ONCE to Ocelot's monologue, was very weird.

It felt like they were playing Zelda or GTA3.
We're talking about a man who grunted every other sentence.

Jindrax

Because after being such a chatty dude, him not even answering back ONCE to Ocelot's monologue, was very weird.

It felt like they were playing Zelda or GTA3.
We're talking about a man who grunted every other sentence.

Maybe they're still working on Sutherlands voice.
Make him sound more Snake and less Jack Bauer

Tookay

It might be falling out of his head (metaphorically his horn is "growing" as he becomes a demon) so by the end of the game it might fall out. Though Kojima did say this one would have things that don't match up with the rest of the series storywise, didn't he?

Yeah, judging from the latest trailer, it looks like it's slowly being pushed out over the course of the game.

Mr. X

Don't listen to the fun police, fulton and everything about it is awesome and so is fulton-ing everything. I hope PoWs/friendlies yell "ya-hoo!" or "woo-hoo!" or other positive cheers.

Yeah, judging from the latest trailer, it looks like it's slowly being pushed out over the course of the game.

Which makes for crazy symbology. His horn grows as he turns ever more extreme in his methods, but ultimately falls out when he "reconciles" with Zero.

Assuming that happens in this game.

Tookay

Which makes for crazy symbology. His horn grows as he turns ever more extreme in his methods, but ultimately falls out when he "reconciles" with Zero.

Between the sharpnel horn/demon analogy and the phantom limb/revenge theme, I'm liking Kojima's symbolism so far in this game. It may be a tad too much for some people, but it at least feels thematically coherent, unlike MGS4.

Persona7

Banned
It might be the poor streaming quality but does anyone else think that the game is hurt by being cross gen? The lightning seemed more impressive in the 2013 trailer and here it's slightly muddy like GZ..

I hope they can fix the far out texture morphing or whatever that is. It looks like oblivion from back in 2006.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Jesus...an environment THAT big at 1080p/60fps is phenomenal, with dynamic weather, dynamic lighting, and a day and night cycle. Kojima is a game design genius. Just watching it I can feel the immersion.

I like this. And if that doesn't happen, I don't know how it would really tie back to MG1 properly.

Sn4ke_911

Jesus...an environment THAT big at 1080p/60fps is phenomenal, with dynamic weather, dynamic lighting, and a day and night cycle. Kojima is a game design genius. Just watching it I can feel the immersion.

Agreed it looks stunning. Now i wonder what it would look like if it doesn't get hold back by 8+ year old hardware.

Fox Engine is such a beast.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
BTW looks like the CP guy from Ground Zeroes got a new job at the Mother Base.

viveks86

Man! I loved this video so much! It looks really polished already. Noticed some pop in here and there. Otherwise, great presentation and fun gameplay.

You can hide in a box or container and fulton your way to mother base and the ride is all in real time. Can't wait to do that.

There has to be a catch. Why bother calling in a helicopter if you can instantly transport yourself like that? Wonder what the trade off is. May be you are completely defenseless and risk failing the mission.

Sn4ke_911

I hope they can fix the far out texture morphing or whatever that is. It looks like oblivion from back in 2006.

Agreed, very muddy looking.

I don't wanna white knight this game all the fucking time but can we please wait for actual DIRECT FEED FOOTAGE?

One more time, you guys are watching a recording of a stream.

NYR94

Portable Ops recruitment system was the worst.

It's more 'realistic', but boy was it a major gameplay buzz kill.

That's the challenge with incorporating Big Boss' army bulding--which is an important part of his story and one of the main differences between him and Solid Snake--into the gameplay. How easy should it be? For most Fulton recovery is too easy, but having to drag soldiers to the truck in Portable Ops was a chore for most players.

Kojima Productions did put out a survey after the release of Peace Walker asking fans for their feedback about various elements in the games. Could be that the use of Fulton recovery to recruit soldiers is "back by popular demand."

I don't wanna white knight this game all the fucking time but can we please wait for actual DIRECT FEED FOOTAGE?

One more time, you guys are watching a recording of a stream.

Its enough to be able to tell that the game has a lot of pop-in and texture morphing, you can see it in many spots during the video. That won't really change when direct feed footage comes out. Its fine though, the game looks fantastic and this is no doubt caused by it's last gen parity.

Sn4ke_911

lighting is at a completely different angle though

dynamic weather and day & night cycle, my friend.

Its enough to be able to tell that the game has a lot of pop-in and texture morphing, you can see it in many spots during the video. That won't really change when direct feed footage comes out. Its fine though, the game looks fantastic and this is no doubt caused by it's last gen parity.

pop-in i agree but texture morphing? i have to see it in direct feed footage. And as ToraShiro from Konami said, nothing you see in this video is final.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom