• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain E3 Full Gameplay Demo [Up: NEW official version!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
not sure if it was brought up again but the trailer showed Ocelot at two different times of day, the intro and the close up with his name are different.

RangerBAD

Wouldn't it stand to reason that there is a difference in quality because the 2013 version ran off a PC?

not sure if it was brought up again but the trailer showed Ocelot at two different times of day, the intro and the close up with his name are different.

I was thinking it might be a different time of day, but I don't think it accounts for everything.

Mr. RHC

Does anyone else find the difference between MGS3 Ocelot and TPP Ocelot disconcerting? He's barely recognizable, IMO.

Not really. It would be a slightly different story if Major Ocelot from MGS3 was his original visuals, but TPP Ocelot is clearly taking major inspiration from his MGS appeareance.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
This is from 2013. No downgrade confirmed. I hope we can end this stupid discussion now.

2013 footage does NOT look better or has better lighting. It's just a different time of day!

pic_z_026_ckz73f.jpg

Mr. RHC

This is from 2013. No downgrade confirmed. I hope we can end this stupid discussion now.

2013 footage does NOT look better or has better lighting. It's just a different time of day!

Yeah. I refuse to even have this discussion, as long as we don't have uncompressed, high res direct feed material.

This is stupid.

Spaghetti

Not really. It would be a slightly different story if Major Ocelot from MGS3 was his original visuals, but TPP Ocelot is clearly taking major inspiration from his MGS appeareance.
tpp ocelot seems like a good halfway point really. sounds like one too. i know people would prefer pat zimmerman but it's been 6 years since mgs4 and he sounded noticeably older even back then. troy baker is versatile as hell, which helps.

We're going to get something dramatically improved over Ground Zeroes, and Ground Zeroes was just fine by me. It looked and played great except for some niggles that seem to be corrected and smoothed out here.

For those interested in the French Interview Highlights from this link provided earlier, here's a quick list of new info you can glance from it :

* The addition of the Fulton and other humorous touches were deemed necessary by Kojima, as the tension and mood was becoming too oppressing and things were needed to break the tension.

* According to the interview, you will be able to attack other TPP's players bases as part of the title's online multi-player features. OMG, Dark Souls invasion in my metal gear games ? One can wish...

* New weapons and gadgets that did not exist in the time period, like the Phantom Cigar which allows time to pass very quickly... But smoking for too long can have consequences, for example, smoking for three full days will have Kaz die in captivity and fail the mission.

* And here's the Big Bomb of the interview, perhaps a mistranslation (I kinda hope). When the interviewer asks how Kojima intends to make the game accessible to newcomers of the series, he responds that, since Big Boss wakes up from a 9 Year coma, he "will have no memories" and will need to understand what has happened to him.

I sincerely hope he's not going to play the "amnesia" card on that one, as having Big Boss voiced by someone else and with no recollection of who he was would be terrible imho. Hopefully it's a mistranslation and Kojima meant something more akin to "He will need to catch up on what happened during the coma, but considering the shrapnel in his head, partial amnesia is a possibility.

Source :
http://www.gameblog.fr/news/43798-metal-gear-solid-v-phantom-pain-hideo-kojima-notre-interview

Furyous

I'm psyched about the Mother Base component. I'm hoping that we can use assets directly from Ground Zeroes. Hopefully, they patch in an ability to fulton items from Ground Zeroes back to Mother Base to incentivize players to go through the game one more time.

Are there any chances for a swimming pool in Mother Base? I'm hoping there's an underwater infiltration mission of some kind later. The idea that you can fulton items and escape from missions is genius. I wonder if you return to same place you fultoned out of.

I'm going with a blue and black paint scheme for my base. Hopefully, you can turn off base invasions to immerse yourself in your world. Either way, I now see why Kojima said this game might take forever to finish.

I'm stuck on when I want to infiltrate bases. On one hand going at night makes things less visible but has more enemies. However, during the day there's more visibility but less enemies.

Mr. RHC

tpp ocelot seems like a good halfway point really. sounds like one too. i know people would prefer pat zimmerman but it's been 6 years since mgs4 and he sounded noticeably older even back then. troy baker is versatile as hell, which helps.

Yeah, I'm very happy with Baker's portrayal of Ocelot.

Also, Ludo (and Williams?) is doing some serious work for TPP. Music has been rather thrilling so far but the bit when Ocelot was giving Snake the introduction, I noticed some very emotional themes.

Added a whole layer of awesome to that scene.

Caesnd

I think Troy Baker did a commendable job in channeling his inner Patric Zimmerman for his performance with Ocelot. Not as flamboyant and sinister, but the slightly more restrained intonation meshes better with Kiefer Sutherland I think.

Sn4ke_911

* And here's the Big Bomb of the interview, perhaps a mistranslation (I kinda hope). When the interviewer asks how Kojima intends to make the game accessible to newcomers of the series, he responds that, since Big Boss wakes up from a 9 Year coma, he "will have no memories" and will need to understand what has happened to him.

I sincerely hope he's not going to play the "amnesia" card on that one, as having Big Boss voiced by someone else and with no recollection of who he was would be terrible imho. Hopefully it's a mistranslation and Kojima meant something more akin to "He will need to catch up on what happened during the coma, but considering the shrapnel in his head, partial amnesia is a possibility.

Source :
http://www.gameblog.fr/news/43798-metal-gear-solid-v-phantom-pain-hideo-kojima-notre-interview

Well Kojima said in the IGN interview when Snake wakes up after 9 years coma he doesn't know what is real and what not and since Ishmael has the same voice as Snake and doesn't give him a helping hand out of the hospital i'm pretty sure Ishmael is not real and just in Snakes mind, you know his survival instinct tingles.

Jindrax

Noway he has amneasia..
If he didn't remember anything what reason would he have for BECOMING A DEMON!!!
Why would he smear ashes on his face of a bunch of dudes... he just met.

100% mistranslation

Revan

Source :

That is exactly what the article says (I'm fluent in French). He will have no recollection if what happened from Peace Walker prior, and will have to rediscover his own past, just like the "new" player to the series will "learn" about BB's history.

Sn4ke_911

That is exactly what the article says (I'm fluent in French). He will have no recollection if what happened from Peace Walker prior, and will have to rediscover his own past, just like the "new" player to the series will "learn" about BB's history.

This is really awesome for new players. Snake sees a familiar person which we MGS nuts already know who that is but for new players they are like Snake, will slowly find out who that is.

KOJIMA YOU GENIUS!

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Source :

Necessary evil, I think. The Metal Gear canon is pretty esoteric for new comers. The veterans will still get to spot all the 'future easter eggs' like Eli/Liquid.

Noway he has amneasia..
If he didn't remember anything what reason would he have for BECOMING A DEMON!!!
Why would he smear ashes on his face of a bunch of dudes... he just met.

100% mistranslation

He said the same thing in the IGN interview. That Snake is experiencing some memory loss and slowly regains his memory throughout the game.

The mistranslation could be in the Japanease to French translation though, which is what I was referring to, especially the Japanease language is so hard to translate most of the time. But if IGN has the same basic idea, guess it's confirmed by two sources and is unlikely to be a mistranslation.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
different time of day plus different lighting makes the scenes look different remember that trailer for infamous second son, the game looked way different, People are screaming downgrade, however time of day is different plus the lighting is different

I wouldn't want to abuse your kindness, but, would you be able to tell us anything about the alert system? Is it going to be like in GZ, are there going to be different alert levels, or is the whole map just psychic when it comes to player detection?

At this time, I'm just supposed to say that everything needed to know is found in the demo and I can't answer to speculation outside of that. Hopefully we will reveal more about those details at a further date.

Can you tell us if MGSV will be at Gamescom or TGS? Maybe a new trailer?

Anyway thanks a lot.

I'll be able to answer that when we get closer to those events. Make sure you are following our European partners and @Kojima_Pro_Live for updates on those events as they happen. I will probably be attending neither.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Big Boss is going full Golgo 13 now.

''...''

We haven't had a talkative protagonist since Sons of Liberty. If you recall, Old Snake was often quiet and reserved as well.

Solid Snake and Raiden pretty much both had fully fledged conversations with nearby characters and bosses. Naked Snake didn't talk as much outside the codec and/or with Eva (he had the famous spiel with Ocelot and also talked a ton about his shiny new handgun that Eva gave him). Certainly not with any COBRA members other than the Boss. The bosses simply dictated their introduction and death speech to the player, there was no "How'd a big boy like you fit in that M1 tank." (Raven) or "Still tickin' huh?" (Vamp).

And then you get to Old Snake who talks even less than Naked Snake, which seems to match how Punished/Venom Snake is.

Sn4ke_911

I'll be able to answer that when we get closer to those events. Make sure you are following our European partners and @Kojima_Pro_Live for updates on those events as they happen. I will probably be attending neither.

OK, thanks for answering.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Certainly not with any COBRA members other than the Boss. The bosses simply dictated their introduction and death speech to the player, there was no "How'd a big boy like you fit in that M1 tank." (Raven) or "Still tickin' huh?" (Vamp).

My personal favourite: "You must be a real threat in the Muktuk eating contest."

Salaadin

My personal favourite: "You must be a real threat in the Muktuk eating contest."

That whole convo was great. Love it when Raven starts talking about the ear pull contest and Snake just chimes in with "you want to pull eachothers ears?" in a tone that just screams "i dont give a shit"

At this time, I'm just supposed to say that everything needed to know is found in the demo and I can't answer to speculation outside of that. Hopefully we will reveal more about those details at a further date.

You probably cant say much on this either but Ill give it a shot. Any word on a MGS5 LE? Its the only reason I havent preordered yet

Tookay

different time of day plus different lighting makes the scenes look different remember that trailer for infamous second son, the game looked way different, People are screaming downgrade, however time of day is different plus the lighting is different

Plus the different weather.

E3 2013 trailer took place on a totally cloudless day, while E3 2014 took place on a more cloudy one (and PS4 version still has dynamic skies), so the lighting's going to be different.

Sub_Level

Hey guys, so I was wondering. Is mother base in TPP outer heaven? The same one Snake infiltrates in MG1?

Nope. This one will likely be destroyed or commandeered by Cipher as a template to be used for Ars- *clears throat* I mean Big Shell.

Outer Heaven is in South Africa. HINT HINT

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
So, so far, we've only seen footage of the Rescue Kaz mission and Mother Base, right? That means Quiet probably shows up in this mission at some point. She was in the desert in the trailers.

Assuming Diamond Dogs is disbanded and Big Boss and Miller go to FOXHOUND which is where they're supposed to be in MG1, I think it would be cool if Motherbase was turned into Foxhound's training ground or something when Solid Snake comes in. We never saw that or knew what it looked like. It would be a waste if it was just destroyed again, and I don't think it's Big Shell either.

Ateron

Maybe BB doesn't talk much because he's being mind controlled by someone!
They experimented on him for 9 years and shaped him to be a mindless puppet who doesn't question anything and barely talks, never having an opinion on anything.

Hence, anything bad he does is not really his fault

(s/)

Or, scheduling Sutherland costs a lot more than they were hoping for and in a few hours at a time you can only properly record a certain amount of dialogue, hence why he speaks less. It's not a matter of getting payed by the line, but by the time consumed. The time he spends on the recording booth could be invested in something else. Hayter would have been a lot cheaper.

Something unrelated: have they mentioned if they're gonna fix the DOF when you pan the camera to "zoom in" on BB's face? I always wanted to take a better look at his face model, but that blur is too much to make anything out of it. If I'm not mistaken the ps3 version doesn't have it, so maybe it's a bug? Could it be corrected in TPP or is it here to stay?

Game looks amazing regardless, though

That whole convo was great. Love it when Raven starts talking about the ear pull contest and Snake just chimes in with "you want to pull eachothers ears?" in a tone that just screams "i dont give a shit"

This is why Solid Snake is my favorite main character in the MGS saga (let's all forget Old Snake existed) and why I have little interest in the Big Boss character/story.

Sub_Level

Link to the video?

In the OP!

So, so far, we've only seen footage of the Rescue Kaz mission and Mother Base, right? That means Quiet probably shows up in this mission at some point. She was in the desert in the trailers.

There are probably quite a few missions that take place in the desert. The Kaz rescue is probably one of the first given to you, Quiet seems to not be introduced by that point.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
This is why Solid Snake is my favorite main character in the MGS saga (let's all forget Old Snake existed) and why I have little interest in the Big Boss story/games.
Solid has a dry wit about him that Big Boss lacks. Old Snake had it, too, it was just colored by depression and apathy.

Or, scheduling Sutherland costs a lot more than they were hoping for and in a few hours at a time you can only properly record a certain amount of dialogue, hence why he speaks less. It's not a matter of getting payed by the line, but by the time consumed. The time he spends on the recording booth could be invested in something else. Hayter would have been a lot cheaper.
I thought this at first, too, but apparently all of the dialogue had been written before Sutherland was cast. Kojima wants Big Boss to rely more on facial expressions than on dialogue.

Escape the Hospital, Rescue Kaz, Motherbase... and I suppose we've seen glimpses of other various missions with things like Eli and the child soldiers, we just don't know what they're about. I don't think Quiet shows up in the rescue Kaz mission, I think Afghanistan is supposed to be huge and we're supposed to spend a few story missions going back there probably following up on whatever Miller was doing when he got captured.

Sub_Level

This is why Solid Snake is my favorite main character in the MGS saga (let's all forget Old Snake existed) and why I have little interest in the Big Boss character/story.

Sniper Wolf: Do you want me to kill you now? Or after your female friend?

Solid Snake: I'll die after I kill you.

aw94iv1669017.gif

Hey guys, so I was wondering. Is mother base in TPP outer heaven? The same one Snake infiltrates in MG1?

Mother Base might be referred to Outer Heaven in the game but the MG1 base was not off shore. The part in the trailer where you see a Metal Gear in the background is possibly the same place as MG1.

Ateron

I hope they can iron out some of that pop in before release. Ugh.

Could be a lot worse. In dragon's dogma even the frickin enemies would pop right in front of you out of the blue! Made for some "interesting" fights in the beginning, to say the least.

It can be a little distracting but only if you're actively looking out for it. I guess there's still time to polish up things a bit, as what we've seen is not final yet..

Sub_Level

I hope they can iron out some of that pop in before release. Ugh.

Didn't notice it at first but rewatched after multiple posters pointed it out and yeah it's not good. For PS3 and 360 versions, it's like whatever, but PS4 version shouldn't be suffering from pop-in to that extent.

I assume without the pop-in, they can't maintain the locked 60fps? :(

More draw distance has an effect on performance, yes, but the reason for the severe pop-in might simply be that the game is still 9 - 18 months out and it's a work in progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom