• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain E3 Full Gameplay Demo [Up: NEW official version!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ButchCat

Ocelot comparison
iDuxq2Dhc1viD.png

iuSUQHqvrnn2j.png

Newer version has Unreal Engine-PS3 syndrome.

There has to be a catch. Why bother calling in a helicopter if you can instantly transport yourself like that? Wonder what the trade off is. May be you are completely defenseless and risk failing the mission.
You abort the mission if you fulton out.

And the failure chance should still apply, so you still won't be able to fulton out depending of the weather and you can probably just fall.

viveks86

You abort the mission if you fulton out.

And the failure chance should still apply, so you still won't be able to fulton out depending of the weather and you can probably just fall.

Ahh ok. Is it an abort even if you have completed the mission and you are trying to escape?

Ezi0

That was incredible. I need it now :(.

Ground Zeroes has Normal and Hard difficulty for missions. They could easily implement a Fulton restriction for the Hard variant in The Phantom Pain. One or two per mission.

Peace Walker also had a limit on the number of soldiers you could Fulton. Mother Base would get full and Kaz would shout at you lol.

Vibranium

Banned
Awesome demo, I need this game now, having just finished Ground Zeroes for $20 (perfect price for something "a little over a demo"). It has a great deal of value with all the Side Ops and trials.

I am going to be in the team that says we play Solid Snake near the end, and Sutherland is great, I don't have a problem with him. Boss' descent will be cool to play. I am not reading this thread through though haha, there will be the usual debates. The real action is The Phantom Pain story speculation, it's way more fun to discuss who Skull Face is then compare graphics.

Tookay

I wouldn't read into lighting differences too much as evidence of downgrades. If there's anything the FOX engine is good at, it's lighting.

They just set it at a different time of day with different weather.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I wouldn't read into lighting differences too much as evidence of downgrades. If there's anything the FOX engine is good at, it's lighting.

They just set it at a different time of day with different weather.

I think so too.

eso76

Yes, Yellow filter tint is much easier to process. Downgrade total.

Just different TOD and you guys blame devs who demo their games behind closed doors ?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

Just different TOD and you guys blame devs who demo their games behind closed doors ?

Yeah really. This is why we can't have nice things.

Game looks completed, I wonder how long till we get release date.

Well Konami said nothing we see in this video is final.

Maybe release a direct feed demonstration instead of on a pretty bad stream so we have better material to compare? I know that this is in the process of being done, but it seems weird to me that you wouldn't just do that in the first place.

pop-in i agree but texture morphing? i have to see it in direct feed footage. And as ToraShiro from Konami said, nothing you see in this video is final.

I don't know, it seemed pretty clear to me from the video on gamespot. I'm still really excited about this game, I just really wish it wasn't shackled to the PS3/360.

PnCIa

Mother Base has the same color scheme as Big Shell :D
And at some point...i am sure that enemy troops will take over the base and you have to sneak around on your own creation!

raven777

Kojima mentioned in tweet before the show saying he really didn't want to show yet because they are still in working stage of the game.

Also at today's show he mentioned the water was one of the part he wasn't happy about and will improve in the future.

Kinyou

Seems pretty clear to me that the 2014 demo was just during a different time of the day.

Unless you just held them up. The entire base could be held up and no one gets the balls to challenge you. Wish they'd rectify that. Biiiig oversight.
True, that's a little too easy to abuse.

About the lookof the game, I think it looks awesome as it is except for the foliage. In general it has a very consistent armonious look to it, plus it 60fps. The foliage seems to "hover" on top of the terrain though, like it's not really connecting. If they fix that it will truely be a wonderful looking game.

Caesnd

Was the demonstration done on the Playstation 4? If so, have they removed the dynamic sky feature of that version? I'm wondering because it looks like they have implemented a normal skybox.

I would think the cutscenes would also be affected by time of day and the weather.
everything is realtime so yes.
Kojima mentioned in tweet before the show saying he really didn't want to show yet because they are still in working stage of the game.

Also at today's show he mentioned the water was one of the part he wasn't happy about and will improve in the future.

HELL YES!

I really hate the Fulton. It was stupid in Peace Walker, but it's totally out of place here, in a realistic game showing the fall of Big Boss.

I'm going to reiterate the suggestion I did on their twitter...

Why not replace Fulton with electronic markers ? Basically, you put one of these on a soldier, vehicle or crate and eventually, Diamond Dogs soldiers come and pick it up. The percentage of success, in this case, would depend on how good of a job Big Boss did at clearing the area near the enemy of hostiles... If he takes out two anti-personal tanks, groups the downed soldiers together in a barely populated section of the map and triggers the extraction when nobody is in the immediate vicinity, the extraction is performed without a hitch.

Depending of how ambitious Kojima is about implementing the idea, the extraction could happen during or after the mission. If it's after, it would add a supplementary challenge, as enemies that awoke would no longer be extractable... If it's during the mission, it would require programming to show Diamond Dogs entering the level and picking up downed soldiers, perhaps bringing them to morpho or a chopper on foot... Or having a chopper land and grab a tank and extract it with a net... All in all, it would be alot less distracting than having enemies being extracted with a balloon.

And best of all, it would actually make the Diamond Dogs recruits feel alive and useful, as you could see them on the battlefield, even if they only give extraction support for downed foes. Big Boss still does all the heavy lifting, but with backup "gatherers" from the recon team bringing the spoils back after the mission.

Reminds me of how you could use your comrades in Portable Ops to bring many soldiers back to the truck. You would pile all unconscious guards near a comrade hiding in a cardboard box, then the guy could be radioed to extract all the soldiers.

AHA-Lambda

Snake's lack of talking is really awkward like, if this is the price they paid to get keifer sutherland then I think they made the wrong choice.

I really hate the Fulton. It was stupid in Peace Walker, but it's totally out of place here, in a realistic game showing the fall of Big Boss.
My problem with it is that it seems like super easy mode.

Part of the difficulty in Ground Zeroes was that your non-lethal takedown targets would eventually wake up, so you had to had to move quickly. You could instead opt to kill and hide the bodies if you wanted something more permanent, and thus you got a use for some of the non-tranq weaponry. It made for a nice balance of risk and reward and morality choices.

But this Fulton thing is a quick and easy way to non-lethally remove enemies, vehicles and weapon emplacements from the map entirely. It seems like just another way to reduce the difficulty of the game dramatically (with enemy marking and reflex mode, etc), so I'd love to actually disable or severely limit its use when I play, as long as the game doesn't screw me over for it.

I don't really get the lack of Big Boss's speech. Is Sutherland paid for every line of dialogue or what ?

I know they supposedly wanted the player to feel like Snake and having him a silent protagonist is apparently easier in an open-world game... But that kinda kills the character for me, as you could be playing any generic soldier... Wait, maybe that's the whole point, maybe they will push that stuff about using your random recruits again in TPP, which in turn would justify Big Boss having almost no spoken dialogue during gameplay... Cause it's stupid to have a Diamond Dogs soldier taking like Big Boss after all.

But the point is, I hate playing as random soldiers, and I want to play as Big Boss.

SJRB

Gold Member
Ground Zeroes obviously shows the game still looks like the E3 2013 trailer when it's midday and clear sky, not sure why people are worried.

Reg

Banned
Was the demonstration done on the Playstation 4? If so, have they removed the dynamic sky feature of that version? I'm wondering because it looks like they have implemented a normal skybox.

I think it's still in. Definitely has dynamic weather anyways.

Spaghetti

maybe there should be a disclaimer about the lighting in the OP because i see the next 5-10 pages going in circles

"WARNING: THE E3 2013 TRAILER AND THE CURRENT DEMO ARE SET AT DIFFERENT TIMES OF DAY WITH DIFFERENT WEATHER, IT IS UNCONFIRMED THAT THERE HAS BEEN A LIGHTING DOWNGRADE"

Caesnd

Does anyone else find the difference between MGS3 Ocelot and TPP Ocelot disconcerting? He's barely recognizable, IMO.

They are relying a lot on 3d scanning for MGS5 whereas they tried to stick closer to Shinkawas concepts in MGS3, which are very manga-esque in comparison.

I think it's still in. Definitely has dynamic weather anyways.

Yes, but sky is clearly different in the two version we have seen (E3 2013 and this demonstration). The recent version looks exactly like it did in the Xbox One version of Ground Zeroes it seems, whereas before the clouds were supposed to be "dynamic" (not sure what this actually entailed).

I really liked the deeper blue and the clean gradient. Would be a shame if they removed that, since it added some extra punch to the environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom