• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain new info, Game is "nearing completion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBAD

I agree, I hope it can be turned off like Fire Emblem's Casual mode or something. If not, then I guess I'm not using the buddy system ever.

I don't see that happening. They would have to rebalance it otherwise they will be OP. Maybe the system will allow you to save them and medevac them out.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Quiet's weakness is that she needs sunlight to work her powers. That's why we saw glimpses of her being tortured in the E3 trailer. She was tied to a chair underground.

Quiet's weakness is that she needs sunlight to work her powers. That's why we saw glimpses of her being tortured in the E3 trailer. She was tied to a chair underground.

Damn.

That makes a lot of sense.

Would certainly tie into The End's photosynthesis.

Dunno how that is supposed to make me feel ashamed tho

I agree, I hope it can be turned off like Fire Emblem's Casual mode or something. If not, then I guess I'm not using the buddy system ever.

So you're purposefully going to miss out on extra content because there's a possibility of the characters dying? This is the most ridiculously thing I've read. You think just collecting all of them and keeping them at MB does anything?

Ehh, I mean, where else would they torture her? In a field somewhere? I'm pretty sure most torture takes place in some underground room.

Not to mention, didn't we see her head (covered by a sack) being dunked in water? That was outside. Hmm, maybe that's when she escapes or something

RangerBAD

Damn.

You'll feel ashamed for ever thinking Kojima would stoop to fanservice. lol

So you're purposefully going to miss out on extra content because there's a possibility of the characters dying? This is the most ridiculously thing I've read. You think just collecting all of them and keeping them at MB does anything?

Sure. Big Boss can shoot the breeze with them and hang out.

I'll use it, but given how Ground Zeroes' save system worked (autosave only) I'm probably gonna have to back up my save every time I risk using the support buddy system. I mean I'd understand if the character dying drove the story in a new direction like with Meryl and the torture in MGS1, but it sounds like it will just close off potential subplots which I wouldn't want to have to replay the entire game again to experience.

Damn.

And just like The End she has to be as close to naked as possible in order to make sure she absorbs the full extent of the sun's rays.

Chara_end_pic-0.gif

Oh.

I still think it's weird how he keeps talking about how advances in technology lets him do things he couldn't do before and yet the game is coming out on last gen systems.

Dawg

ryreeC0u.jpg:large

Also, DD won't age as fast as in the gameplay demo. I think I read somewhere he'll actually try and enter the helicopter as a puppy? :p So cute!

Verendus

Banned
I have actually managed to avoid pretty much all information about this game. It needs to release so I can play it, and be surprised.

hunchback

I have a quick question. The last MG game I played way IV. Should I play Ground Zero before this next one comes out? Will it help me get filled in on the story and any new game mechanics? The new trailer was great.

No way in hell is perma death for buddies a thing. If they "die" during missions they probably just get incapacitated, and are sent to the Motherbase sick bay until they heal up.

If TPP is anything like PW, then the game is designed around playing well beyond the story missions, in order to keep unlocking new stuff, and to S rank all the side missions.

Locking you out of content in a save file that might be worth 100+ hours of playtime makes absolutely no sense, and isn't Kojima's style.

If I had to guess, then maybe you can bring generic grunt soldiers that you Fulton out on missions as buddies with you, and if they die it would be permanent. Similar to how you can forever lose soldiers online in Real Combat in MPO, and in Outer Ops in PW.

Kind of worried about this and all the other optional story stuff. Hope they can pull it off.

Reminds me of what he was saying in some interviews he did last year:

Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain will take an episodic approach to its structure, says series creator Hideo Kojima, who likens the upcoming tactical espionage operations game to that of a television series.

"Think of past Metal Gears as like movies, you just move along and really enjoy the ride," Kojima said in a roundtable interview at E3. "And think of Metal Gear Solid 5 as a TV series."

Instead of implementing a linear structure to Metal Gear Solid 5's story, Kojima Productions is breaking the game down into a missions which players can play in the sequence they choose.

"Each mission is an episode," Kojima said. "Now there might be independent stories within each mission. Of course it's not linear, you can play any mission, any episode at any time. But ultimately when you play all of them and get to the core of the story, everyone will get the same viewpoint [of the story]."

The mission-based structure affords Kojima Productions the chance to make a realistic espionage simulation, he said. Kojima said The Phantom Pain's open world and mission-based structure was in part inspired by Rockstar's Grand Theft Auto series.

"Creating that kind of freedom [for the player], I think that's the future of games," Kojima said.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/13/4427428/hideo-kojima-metal-gear-solid-5-episodic-e3

Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima has explained that The Phantom Pain will be less like films than previous games, and more like a television show.

"I'm sure you're worried about if the cutscenes are as long as Metal Gear Solid 4," Kojima said during an E3 roundtable. "Since this time around we're using an open world environment," Metal Gear Solid V will have "less cutscenes [than before]." Because you'll be exploring, you'll have fewer opportunities to run into a cutscene that takes control away.

"If you think of Metal Gear Solids 1-4 as movies," Kojima continued, "[The Phantom Pain] is going to be like a TV series with episodes." Each episode breaks down into a non-linear missions with that eventually "come together to complete the story we have designed."

Ground Zeroes perhaps best represents this idea. "Phantom Pain is the big game, and included in that is the prologue, Ground Zeroes," Kojima said.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/06/12/e3-2013-metal-gear-solid-5-the-phantom-pain-like-a-tv-series

Toa TAK

Banned
I suddenly have the urge to double dip GZ for my One.

Kojima is saying all the right things. Will this game trump MGS3?

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
No way in hell is perma death for buddies a thing. If they "die" during missions they probably just get incapacitated, and are sent to the Motherbase sick bay until they heal up.

If TPP is anything like PW, then the game is designed around playing well beyond the story missions, in order to keep unlocking new stuff, and to S rank all the side missions.

Locking you out of content in a save file that might be worth 100+ hours of playtime makes absolutely no sense, and isn't Kojima's style.

If I had to guess, then maybe you can bring generic grunt soldiers that you Fulton out on missions as buddies with you, and if they die it would be permanent. Similar to how you can forever lose soldiers online in Real Combat in MPO, and in Outer Ops in PW.

You got a point.

But this game sounds so utterly massive, that such content would only seem minimal in the grand scheme of things.

I'm sure he's in no rush to push out another sequel any time soon, so if losing comrades permanently means having to start a whole new 100+ hour game file to satisfy your completionist OCD, then so be it...

After all, if by completion you mean earning all Trophies for it throughout multiple plays, it may be more doable. But if you want to have EVERYTHING done in one playthrough then that'll take skill and patience.

Grisby

Yeah, I hope the dog and Quiet are easy enough to get and keep alive. I plan on spending a lot of time in PP and I don't want to miss out.

Good deal that it's nearing completion.

The apparent fact that certain relatively major additions like Quiet can be ignored or even killed permanently depending on how you play is pretty weird to me in context of this series. The only time he's really had a branching path regarding the fate of a character was in MGS1 and obviously we found out one of the endings was canon, but other than that all major and even minor characters have had fixed actions and events regarding their lives. So I wonder how that'll be approached in terms of narrative - like is them dying solely a gameplay punishment or does it actually affect the story, and if so what are the implications of that for the universe as a whole and how those characters fit into it? And which path is the canon one?

He definitely did not give that impression with MGS4

Are you referring to this?

http://www.destructoid.com/kojima-expresses-disappointment-in-metal-gear-solid-4-82251.phtml

"Game-wise, it's pretty close to the original vision: you sneak into the battlefield and can choose whether to do a stealth game or interfere with the battle more directly. But the graphic, side things like motion-blending and the size of the map, totally was not accomplished to my original vision -- to my satisfaction."

"When we first showed the game engine at TGS, the staff were really proud and happy. PS3 was a dream machine, y'know, and we were going to work on this and that -- and we had so many ideas. But when we actually started developing the game, we realized there were a lot of restrictions and so it turned out how you see it today. The original vision was to go ten steps further, the reality was just one step, which isn't to say we didn't progress."

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/05/12/kojima-insists-hes-not-disappointed-with-mgs4/

He did say he was taken out of context later on, but I think he meant in terms of being disappointed with PS3. I suppose MGSV: TPP would prove that correct because the game is still crossgen but he still achieved an open-world mgs.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The only way I can see us play as Snake is if all the people you gather in the game become the bosses you have to fight against when playing as Snake, but that would mean retconing the bosses of MG1, including Metal Gear, and it would have to be a full game on its own pretty much. There's no way they'll have all these gameplay mechanics and then have you play the last part of the game without any of those. And it doesn't make sense to play the whole game as BB then cut to Snake fighting him.

This game will end with BB and Kaz going back to work for Zero/Foxhound after defeating a common enemy, Skullface.

The apparent fact that certain relatively major additions like Quiet can be ignored or even killed permanently depending on how you play is pretty weird to me in context of this series. The only time he's really had a branching path regarding the fate of a character was in MGS1 and obviously we found out one of the endings was canon, but other than that all major and even minor characters have had fixed actions and events regarding their lives. So I wonder how that'll be approached in terms of narrative - like is them dying solely a gameplay punishment or does it actually affect the story, and if so what are the implications of that for the universe as a whole and how those characters fit into it? And which path is the canon one?

I think the main story will be very short, the rest is all optional content. I doubt Quiet and the other buddies have any role in the story, no relation to Zero/Skullface/Patriots etc. Heck, the two buddies shown can't even talk. I doubt this is a coincidence, it's to make it less impactful on the story. If they ever are present in a cutscene, you could interchange them and it wouldn't change anything because they can't talk.

This might be a dumb question, but is Ground Zeroes in The Phantom Pain? i.e Will we have to play through that main mission/area again?

The only way I can see us play as Snake is if all the people you gather in the game become the bosses you have to fight against when playing as Snake, but that would mean retconing the bosses of MG1, including Metal Gear, and it would have to be a full game on its own pretty much. There's no way they'll have all these gameplay mechanics and then have you play the last part of the game without any of those. And it doesn't make sense to play the whole game as BB then cut to Snake fighting him.

This game will end with BB and Kaz going back to work for Zero/Foxhound after defeating a common enemy, Skullface.
Uh, we're not even sure Skullface is an enemy anymore, remember the trailer with them together?

Musolf815

I have a quick question. The last MG game I played way IV. Should I play Ground Zero before this next one comes out? Will it help me get filled in on the story and any new game mechanics? The new trailer was great.

I recommend it, but keep in mind the main story is one mission, you can do a lot in the mission but if you go just by the misison objectives you'll be done fairly quickly. It won't have many of the new features shown in recent Phantom Pain trailers but it will give you a feel of how Snake will control.

Yes you will learn the basic mechanics but there's a lot new features in the TPP. Storywise well if you know what happened in mgs3 and PW you're good to go! More so PW.

Here's something i've been meaning to dig up for a while as it's become more relevant. It's a (very strange) translation of a Hideo radio blog interview from last year before GZ came out. At the time I wasn't sure it was legit because no one outside of this tumblr blog was really reporting on it and it seemed to fly off everyone's radar, but it had the japanese cast talking about support buddies and the taboo stuff we heard in the audiotapes in Ground Zeroes.

INTERESTING BITS AS ACCORDING TO A FRIEND

- Snake can infiltrate alone OR HE CAN BRING A FRIEND. They say Snake specifically so it may not be like CO-OPS, so it’s possibly like — BB can bring Ocelot along, or Quiet, or whoever? She’s actually not sure about this bit so if ANYONE WHO’S JAPANESE COMPREHENSION IS GOOD ENOUGH CAN CONFIRM THIS WOULD BE GRAND (conversation starts 6 minutes into the video)

- Patrols and patrol routes will differ according to the time of day (and it’s not just day/night either, but also dawn for example, they vary a lot)

- Otsuka (BB’s Japanese voice actor) just flat out suggested we need a MG1 HD Remake “to fix things” (no commentary from Kojima here sadly)

- He also reassures his fellow VA friends that “things are gonna be alright” but it’s still not a very kind game

- Meanwhile Yumi Kikuchi and Nana Mizuki (Paz) just PRODUCE SAD SOUNDS THE WHOLE TIME (??? WHAT DO WE MAKE OF THIS)

- Otsuka mentions that something (BLEEPED OUT) happens to Chico, and the others make their sad sounds again… EVERYONE’S REALLY FEELING FOR CHICO HERE

- One of them is like, “Huey-san are you okay?” because he (HideyukiTanaka, Otacon/Huey) was dead quiet during that whole bit so he might have been tearing up?? “Yeah, yeah, I’m okay!”

- kojimawhathaveyoudoneyoumakeyourseiyuuscry.jpg

- Otsuka: “But really, poor Paz and Chico.” “Come to think of it, Paz and Chico don’t show up in MGS1, do they.”

- THE WOMEN ARE WAILING OTSUKA WHAT ARE YOU DOING EVEN BB’S VOICE ACTOR IS A MONSTER I THINK HE JUST IMPLIED THEY BOTH DIE

- Tomokazu Sugita (Kaz) says HE FINDS THIS NEW BIG BOSS TO BE REALLY SCARY.

- Otsuka agrees that Big Boss is being really mean to Chico.

- Otsuka: “Stay calm. Hideo Kojima is not that much of a [beep]! I think he wants you to really be moved while you play it, so don’t worry.” He really tries to lighten the mood but everyone is just down and… YEAH GUESS WHO’S THE ONE WHO WILL MAKE IT OUT OF THIS MOSTLY UNSCATHED YOU BUTT or as my friend said “THAT’S EASY TO SAY WHEN YOU’RE THE VILLAIN”

- Mizuki is sobbing through her parting and hopes “we will all root for Paz”.

- WILL UPDATE IF THERE TURNS OUT TO BE ANYTHING ELSE INTERESTING BUT THATS IT FOR NOW

http://european-extreme.tumblr.com/post/53530748369/hideraji-voice-actor-talk-interesting-bits-as

SOLDIER

So Quiet isn't so Quiet then?

Game sounds great though, need dat release date

Please tell me this was a meme and that nobody actually believed this.

Let's start a new one: Ocelot is Meryl time-traveling from the future.

Makes no sense but people will believe it because I pulled it out from my ass.

Maniac

Banned
Characters in the game also question why Quiet's appearance is so revealing. But there is a reason and a message behind it.

You're welcome! :)

That doesn't really make it any less ridiculous though. And it's basically the only thing about the game that I'm not utterly in love with. It's way over the top, even if it was tied into the story, there'd be no need for a bra that's tiny and mal-placed with her tits almost bursting out.

Doesn't Japan have sports-bras? :p

Shredderi

Hmm. I'll have to wait and see how the optional sub-plots are done, but something about it worries me a bit. Not sure I like the thought of these buddies as disposable or non-important to the main story. Could be that they've really went full on with it and made the sub-plots rewarding and meaningful. We'll see. I don't want DD to get killed though ;_;

With that comment about it nearing completion and the amount it's been pushed at TGS this year, I wouldn't be suprised to see it released March 2015 as many have speculated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom