• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain PC performance thread

Tovarisc

fd86W57.jpg

Ghetto pic since dude above said screenshot crashed his app.

Sexy settings menu, good amount of things to adjust.

Qassim

Depth of field HOORAY

Can anyone confirm that the DoF setting only affects gameplay and the cutscenes always have it enabled? That would be ideal.

KJP have already said that the DoF remains unchanged in cutscenes, that was their 'caveat' to adding this feature.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Morning all. Our image server had a panic attack when we did a last-minute upload of our content (to avoid leaks), so we're now calming it down and making sure it's happy before hitting the big red launch button.

Hopefully won't be too much longer, and then everyone can get to reading my latest 6,000+ word deep dive.

If you think you could do that kind of thing you should drop me a line, because I need some additional staff if we're going to tackle everything in Q3 and Q4.

23qwerty

Morning all. Our image server had a panic attack when we did a last-minute upload of our content (to avoid leaks), so we're now calming it down and making sure it's happy before hitting the big red launch button.

Hopefully won't be too much longer, and then everyone can get to reading my latest 6,000+ word deep dive.

If you think you could do that kind of thing you should drop me a line, because I need some additional staff if we're going to tackle everything in Q3 and Q4.

Ooh, so like any minute now or..?

nomis

Recommend max settings for 1080p on a 770? All I need.

please tell me they fixed the mouse loading cursor from GZ while playing with gamepad
That's what I said! Gonna be really annoyed if it's still there!

2 minutes left. Decent download time in UK 8.4MBps on a 70mbps fibre optic line. Less than 40 minutes in total but quite a small game - 20GB.

Denuvo again? That's Max and Metal Gear. It's getting worringly popular.

Why don't you like it?
Denuvo adds definitely nothing to the games. You don't have to login to another launcher like in Ubi/R* DRMs, and it doesn't affect performance at all like people said in the past. It's just a myth. If anything, it adds the waiting time for the pirates to play the game.

leng jai

Aside from Ebay are there any decent deals on this? Got a PS4 copy from the console bundle but I'd prefer to play on PC.

JambiBum

So I'm getting a failed to stop working message as soon as I try to launch after installing. Haven't tried to verify files yet, but is anyone else experiencing this?

Fardeen

Why don't you like it?
Denuvo adds definitely nothing to the games. You don't have to login to another launcher like in Ubi/R* DRMs, and it doesn't affect performance at all like people said in the past. It's just a myth. If anything, it adds the waiting time for the pirates to play the game.

i dont believe that it does not affect performance. any drm implemented such as denuvo constantly runs in the background. not to mention how it affects SSD . i hope u r right but i dont believe it has a minimal impact on games. these DRM affects legitimate gamers more. look at witcher 3 how it was DRM-free. publishers must take example from CD projeck Red

hlhbk

i dont believe that it does not affect performance. any drm implemented such as denuvo constantly runs in the background. not to mention how it affects SSD . i hope u r right but i dont believe it has a minimal impact on games. these DRM affects legitimate gamers more. look at witcher 3 how it was DRM-free. publishers must take example from CD projeck Red

I think Konami has shown in the last 6 months they could give a shit about treating their fan base worth a shit. From the stupid paywalls, to the pc version not working with the companion app, to no preload on pc, to the steam exe being the only file on the physical PC release, to the DRM they could give a shit about PC gamers.

The shakey cam is infuriating. Is there anyway to turn that crap off or is it all in the cutscene and not able to change? This whole lets have an earthquake going on inside the cameraman is one of the worst trends ever. Its completely unacceptable in video games.

Other than that, I'm getting good solid performance.

Lunaniem

Anyone having a problem getting KB+M controls working? The game keeps reverting to gamepad prompts even with no controller attached.

Painguy

i7-2600k @ 5ghz
8GB DDR3 at 1600mhz
Stock GTX 580 1.5GB OC'd by 20%

Can anyone give me a guesstimate on how I'll fare with max settings aside from AA @ 1080p? On GZ I got like 40-60fps. Usually on the higher spectrum.

Spaghetti

andy, mind confirming how the hbao+ is turned on in tpp? i think i got it right but i'm not totally sure as i switched it on in the control panel before i started playing the game

it's amazing how much better than ground zeroes this looks

The shakey cam is infuriating. Is there anyway to turn that crap off or is it all in the cutscene and not able to change? This whole lets have an earthquake going on inside the cameraman is one of the worst trends ever. Its completely unacceptable in video games.

Other than that, I'm getting good solid performance.
There's on option to toggle it on and off.

Ōkami

Can't think of anywhere else to ask this.

Does still still download while the PC is on hybernation?

Not sure if I worded that correctly, I mean when the CPU is sort of powered off, like the power light is blinking and you need to interact with the PC to get it back on.

My download will take around 12 hours, my plan is to download while I'm off to sleep.

Depth of field HOORAY

Can anyone confirm that the DoF setting only affects gameplay and the cutscenes always have it enabled? That would be ideal.

Being able to disable the overblown DoF effect during gameplay is a big one. You could tweak Ground Zeroes to remove it but then it was missing in cutscenes. I *really* like the effect in well-directed cutscenes.

Confirming DOF is only off during gameplay

Kambing

2500k@4.5ghz
Titan X stock

Max settings, borderless windowed, 2880x1660, 60 fps no dips. Will try to add HBAO+ later. 1 hr into intro

I swear, this is the only game that does not screw up rendering if the resolution is not divisable by 1080p(ie witcher 3 and madmax ui look shit and screen blurry at resolution other than 1080p or 4k). This game looks great rendered at any resolution beyond 1080p and does not screw any image quality. Would really recommend downsampling as aliasing pretty noticeable at 1080p. Gonna compare the pc to ps4 version now!

Spaghetti

dof implementation is far better than gz. AO looks good too but not sure if just highest application setting or if it is HBAO+ running. they made significant improvements to the engine

Top Bottom