• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metaphor: ReFantazio “ATLUS Exclusive” livestream next Monday (Apr 22)

Topher

Gold Member
Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
And it's also an ARPG, not a turn based RPG like the SMT / Persona games.
Its both, you can choose to take out enemies with action combat or for tougher enemies you can go to turn based combat.
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Wait, Fantasy Persona is ARPG?? Huh, go figure. Not going to lie, that’s kind of disappointing.

Although I did like Raidou and Digital Devil Saga.
It has both action and turn based combat.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
And it's also an ARPG, not a turn based RPG like the SMT / Persona games.

Hashino stated in the creator's voice interview that killing enemies outside of command battles is ment for low level mobs and also optional.

It's still a turned based battle system from what I understand and not an ARPG.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Interesting, I thought this was purely an action RPG.

Surprising and a bit weird that two games (this and Trails into Daybreak) are coming this year which have both turn based and ARPG options in them at the same time.

New gifs from the Steam page of Metaphor: ReFantazio (albeit from the same two trailers we've already seen):

03_gauntlet_runner_en.gif

04_battle_en.gif

02_ordinary_en.gif

In one of these new gifs you can see an updated view of the map screen with more weather forecast information (source - Midori):

GLQj887XAAA-xhw

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!

A none answer, given the opposing questions.

It's always the same 3 hit combo with the exact same animation either leading to a dead enemy or a transition to turn based combat. Really hope we see some extended gameplay next week.

Last edited:
As someone that couldn't get into Persona 5 this looks alot more interesting.

After Rebirth though I really want a seamless connected World. The sense of adventure is really heightened.

The moment I start going into menus to select destination I'm taken out of it.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I hope to see stuff to get me more hyped on this. Playing Persona 3R has shaken my faith a bit. I'm not demanding the impossible. Better story with less time wasting and I will be in. The battles are already good.

I hope to see stuff to get me more hyped on this. Playing Persona 3R has shaken my faith a bit. I'm not demanding the impossible. Better story with less time wasting and I will be in. The battles are already good.

Just curious why that would shake your faith, though? It's a pretty faithful remake of a nearly 20 years old PS2 game that was their first crack at this style of JRPG (with the calendar and social links, etc.). Some of it is a bit antiquated and not fleshed out (plus the procedurally generated dungeon gets a bit boring eventually) but I think it's excellent considering the original base game.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Just curious why that would shake your faith, though? It's a pretty faithful remake of a nearly 20 years old PS2 game that was their first crack at this style of JRPG (with the calendar and social links, etc.). Some of it is a bit antiquated and not fleshed out (plus the procedurally generated dungeon gets a bit boring eventually) but I think it's excellent considering the original base game.
I don't need to drag down this hype thread with my negativity, but I have struggled to get into Persona 3, 4 and 5. A lot of padding at times and issues with pacing. I want to get into a big new IP from these guys, they just need to sell me on it still.

bender

What time is it?
I don't need to drag down this hype thread with my negativity, but I have struggled to get into Persona 3, 4 and 5. A lot of padding at times and issues with pacing. I want to get into a big new IP from these guys, they just need to sell me on it still.

This looks to be its’ own thing but with their usual fantastic style. I’m just fed up with their monetization and rerelease practices. It reminds me of when Ubisoft had $150 editions of digital games.

StereoVsn

I mean, this “should” follow in the footsteps of the above games since the main team behind them is developing this game.

It might get more streamlined with combat, relationships, and whatnot, but I would be shocked if the formula changed significantly.

If the previous 3 games, all quite highly acclaimed didn’t draw you in, most likely the basic gameplay loop here isn’t for you. Or maybe the changes and fantasy setting would be more attractive. We will know more soon.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I mean, this “should” follow in the footsteps of the above games since the main team from those series basically is developing this game. It might get more streamlined with combat and whatnot, but I would be shocked if the formula changed significantly.
It looks extremely similar to Persona 3R in terms of tech. I'm expecting something very similar to that actually. When I try to think on what I actually didn't like, it's pretty much just the amount of padding without meaningful story, and the low quality of the story generally. Game looks great, mostly sounds fine, turn based battles are a lot of fun, UI is slick. I just think they need to improve the writing and pacing and I'm golden. The real time field battle addition sounds like a great add, and will obviously help pacing and mix things up so that's a good sign. And it's a totally new IP so I'm hopeful they have a cool story to tell.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I'm not too hyped myself either, not a fan of the visual presentation nor it's design, and the news of the combat being a mix of action based and turn based kinda turned me down.

Game seems to be leaning to much into the Persona formula, which while nice I would have prefered something else. But oh well, Persona sells so I guess every Atlus game will have the Persona DNA in some other way or another.

StereoVsn

It looks extremely similar to Persona 3R in terms of tech. I'm expecting something very similar to that actually. When I try to think on what I actually didn't like, it's pretty much just the amount of padding without meaningful story, and the low quality of the story generally. Game looks great, mostly sounds fine, turn based battles are a lot of fun, UI is slick. I just think they need to improve the writing and pacing and I'm golden. The real time field battle addition sounds like a great add, and will obviously help pacing and mix things up so that's a good sign. And it's a totally new IP so I'm hopeful they have a cool story to tell.
We shall see. Story in P2 duology was probably the best of the bunch and personally I liked P4(G) one as well quite a bit.

But Persona is all about “padding” which are its relationships and activities , so it will be interesting to see what happens with this new IP.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm not too hyped myself either, not a fan of the visual presentation nor it's design, and the news of the combat being a mix of action based and turn based kinda turned me down.

Game seems to be leaning to much into the Persona formula, which while nice I would have prefered something else. But oh well, Persona sells so I guess every Atlus game will have the Persona DNA in some other way or another.
Yeah, I definitely was imagining a much larger departure from their current formula when they just had that mysterious artwork out years ago. I think the real time thing will be good. If I had to guess it's literally just like when you do an attack on an enemy on the field to initiate battle with an advantage, only they just let you play out the whole thing on the field for low level enemies. Probably the same 3 hit combo you usually get to hit lamps and things in the dungeons, but they just streamline trash mobs that way. Not a bad idea, if that's what it is. I could be wrong though.

Top Bottom