• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro Last Light dev: 'Wii U has horrible, slow CPU' [Up: DICE dev comments]

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I haven't checked in on this thread in last day. Any good news?

I think it's possible that Nintendo looked at their options and decided, "Screw this. We'll just go it alone again, buying 3rd party support where we think it's vital, while avoiding the war with Sony and MS." Being all cuddly with Platinum Games is likely an indication of that. To be frank, Nintendo could probably build a pretty good library off of the debris left by MS and Sony as they push development costs higher and fewer devs are able to compete in that space outside of download-only titles.

It seems that's exactly what Nintendo is doing. Honestly, they've been pretty consistent that they won't compete in the "arms race".

To add to your points, Xbox360 and PS3 will continue to see a steady stream of new games for a while, even after their next-gen counterparts are launched. That may have factored into Nintendo's thinking? Who knows with Nintendo, but at some point Xbox360 and PS3 will stop getting any significant releases and that's when Nintendo will either be in trouble, or need to make a move with a new console.

Chû Totoro;44596544 said:
Thanks but :p

and no keyboard, mouse and controller... and like I said (even if I admit that it's also not with consoles) you will play on your TV here... no monitor or speakers (I have an iMac for example so I can't go PC without these).

But I reckon that with 300$ Nintendo may have done better... or if not they could have made a little more expensive system to please almost everyone. I'm not sure all devs are unhappy with this... devs who are making very impressive looking games are unhappy (so mainly FPS here) but all the PSN gems could come on Wii-U for sure.

No HDD with Wii U either, something that will be necesary along the way without doubt.

Pikma

Banned
Hating on the machine is all good, everyone has opinions after all, but saying "I want them to fall" is so damn ridiculous/funny/immature. :lol

And it's incredibly more accepted than I thought, which is a shame.

i-Lo

Now one of the devs of BF3 from DICE just concurred with Metro dev.... surely, these people don't understand the challenges of working on newer unique and balanced technology. How could so many mainstream developers have an agenda against Nintendo?

Gah.. third rate devs.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
If Wii U isn't using modern technology, than how is Nintendoland so gorgeous? (You really need to see it in person to appreciate it).

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Now one of the devs of BF3 from DICE just concurred with Metro dev....
Said DICE dev indicates he has no hands on experience and actually goes by hearsay like that from the Metro dev. I think we've all heard the same. Anon dev this, anon dev that, since many moons ago. Of course also some more positive news from named devs, some quoted here, and now in this thread iirc the first major bad report from a named dev. It isn't even that bad since he doesn't rule out the possibility of a port when and if conditions are different and doesn't claim extensive experience with WiiU hardware.

But yeah, this is how misinformation works. Present half truths about who said what, then by the time the next thread hits we'll probably have a huge list of devs that apparently gloriously confirm Wii U sucks, and it will include these two guys for sure.

TheNatural

My Member!
I haven't checked in on this thread in last day. Any good news?

This needs to be updated now:

gahiggidy.gif

Hating on the machine is all good, everyone has opinions after all, but saying "I want them to fall" is so damn ridiculous/funny/immature. :lol

And it's incredibly more accepted than I thought, which is a shame.

Which idiot said that? It would be awful for the industry if it failed and took Ninty with it.

Jomjom

Banned
If Wii U isn't using modern technology, than how is Nintendoland so gorgeous? (You really need to see it in person to appreciate it).

Don't mistake artistic direction with graphical prowess. Played Nintendoland in person, doesn't look anywhere close to even decent looking games on PS3/360 if we are talking graphics power.

You don't. I've just seen videos of it and its spectacular. Not to mention everything going on round and about! The cloth, the background objects, even the frigging Mii's; the lighting, the polish and fucking non-jagginess of that game is pretty brilliant.

The Plaza is not exactly a quiet non-functioning area of the game.
I don't see those visuals on 360/PS3. I just don't and thats just a simple fact.

Maybe its just the Nintendo touch; IDK, but it looks much better than I expected.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Don't mistake artistic direction with graphical prowess. Played Nintendoland in person, doesn't look anywhere close to even decent looking games on PS3/360 if we are talking graphics power.

Depends on your definition of "decent looking games." You're right about artistic direction, though. That's an area Nintendo has a clear advantage for some reason.

So, I'm trying to understand this:

WiiU CPU is slower/worse than PS3/360 ones (by how much?)
WiiU GPU is faster/better than PS3/360 ones (by how much?)
WiiU Ram is 4x the size of the ones on PS3/360 but ~43% slower so that means WiiU ram's is still preferable over the PS3/360 ones but it's not as big a gap as we originally thought.

So overall, the WiiU is just about 1.5x the power of the 360 as we originally thought when the specs were first going around?

Did I get it right?

Depends on your definition of "decent looking games." You're right about artistic direction, though. That's an area Nintendo has a clear advantage for some reason.
Except Nintendo's "artistic direction' has been a complete mess lately (Nintendoland and NSMB being the biggest offenders). Ignore that, and the many many games, both AAA and especially indy scene, that outclass, and have been outclassing them for 10 years now, and I agree.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Said DICE dev indicates he has no hands on experience and actually goes by hearsay like that from the Metro dev. I think we've all heard the same. Anon dev this, anon dev that, since many moons ago. Of course also some more positive news from named devs, some quoted here, and now in this thread iirc the first major bad report from a named dev. It isn't even that bad since he doesn't rule out the possibility of a port when and if conditions are different and doesn't claim extensive experience with WiiU hardware.

But yeah, this is how misinformation works. Present half truths about who said what, then by the time the next thread hits we'll probably have a huge list of devs that apparently gloriously confirm Wii U sucks, and it will include these two guys for sure.
That's telling in and of itself. It seems to indicate that DICE isn't currently doing any Wii U development. And BF4 is coming out next year.

Alexios

Did I get it right?
Yeah, that's pretty much the absurdity of the thread, reaching such exact conclusions like 1.5x out of tiny bits of info.

That's telling in and of itself. It seems to indicate that DICE isn't currently doing any Wii U development. And BF4 is coming out next year.
It's not telling in this context because while it indicates what you wrote it also indicates it's not a decision taken because they have experience with the hardware and deem it too weak for BF4 but for other unrelated reasons, like perhaps not considering the newborn market worth looking into when they already have their hands full with the established markets. I don't think this can be twisted into DICE knowing WiiU can't handle BF4, no. They might find out in the future, but at least this guy doesn't already know.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Except Nintendo's "artistic direction' has been a complete mess lately (Nintendoland and NSMB being the biggest offenders). Ignore that, and the many many games, both AAA and especially indy scene, that outclass, and have been outclassing them for 10 years now, and I agree.

I highly disagree that Nintendoland's art direction is a "complete mess." The game really looks fantastic on both screens. Indies have been doing a fabulous job recently though.

Fabrik

Banned
You don't. I've just seen videos of it and its spectacular. Not to mention everything going on round and about! The cloth, the background objects, even the frigging Mii's; the lighting, the polish and fucking non-jagginess of that game is pretty brilliant.

The Plaza is not exactly a quiet non-functioning area of the game.
I don't see those visuals on 360/PS3. I just don't and thats just a simple fact.

Maybe its just the Nintendo touch; IDK, but it looks much better than I expected.

That's my impression as well but the cartoony look helps a lot. Wii U is on par with XBOX 360 and PS3 and it's enough. In any case, Nintendo could never have been on par with PS4 and Xbox 720 so why not settle with something good enough.

Jomjom

Banned

I don't think it's been a mess, I would call Nintendo's artistic direction "targeted". Nintendo knows it can't stand toe to toe with the 360/PS3, so their artistic direction has been made to appeal to kids/casuals. For the most part they know they can't appeal to the 25-40 male gamer (except for the 25-40 group that buys Nintendo almost entirely based on nostalgia). They've repeatedly talked about carving out their own, new userbase and serving that sector.

TheExodu5

Banned

WiiU Ram is 4x the size of the ones on PS3/360 but ~43% slower so that means WiiU ram's is still preferable over the PS3/360 ones but it's not as big a gap as we originally thought.

So overall, the WiiU is just about 1.5x the power of the 360 as we originally thought when the specs were first going around?

Did I get it right?

Basically. However, you can't quantify CPU/GPU speeds very accurately. The WiiU CPU may be slower in certain things and faster in certain other things, same goes to the GPU. Architecture plays a big role.

Plinko

Someone should let Nirolak know that he's helping to spread harmful misinformation about the Wii U with that DICE dev update.

It's not "harmful misinformation," though, if that's what the guy has been hearing. He at least has connections in the industry.

That's my impression as well but the cartoony look helps a lot. Wii U is on par with XBOX 360 and PS3 and it's enough. In any case, Nintendo could never have been on par with PS4 and Xbox 720 so why not settle with something good enough.

Personally, I don't understand such an assessment. It's not all or nothing. I don't think setting the bar at "demonstrably better than a console from 2005" necessitates an all-in tech investment that puts them up against the big dogs.

Alexios

Someone should let Nirolak know that he's helping to spread harmful misinformation about the Wii U with that DICE dev update.
Nirolak posted exactly what was said, which indicates what I wrote. i-Lo however, did not, which could be mistaken for the DICE dev having hands on experience and reaching the same conclusion as MetroLL dev. What are you trying to pull?

It's not "harmful misinformation," though, if that's what the guy has been hearing. He at least has connections in the industry.

I know. What I was subtly getting at was that respected mod Nirolak brought that information to our attention that Alextended seems to be trying to discredit. This wasn't some console warrior looking to smear the good name of Nintnedo.

Fabrik

Banned
Personally, I don't understand such an assessment. It's not all or nothing. I don't think setting the bar at "demonstrably better than a console from 2005" necessitates an all-in tech investment that puts them up against the big dogs.

It's about priorities. You can't invest equally in all areas.

KageZero

Nirolak posted what exactly was said, via print screen, which indicates exactly what I wrote. This other guy however, did not, perhaps implying DICE dev had hands on experience and reached the same conclusions as MetroLL dev. What are you attempting?

There is nothing indicating he had experience with the hardware, he said he "heard the industry talking" about it. Now that isn't a good news if he is working on bf4

In any case, Nintendo could never have been on par with PS4 and Xbox 720 so why not settle with something good enough.

Yeah they could've. We all know the ballpark those consoles are aiming for. Many of those tech demos were being run on 2011 hardware, and we know they are being optimized to be even more efficient. It's not that hard.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Yeah, that's pretty much the absurdity of the thread, reaching such exact conclusions like 1.5x out of tiny bits of info.

It's not telling in this context because while it indicates what you wrote it also indicates it's not a decision taken because they have experience with the hardware and deem it too weak for BF4 but for other unrelated reasons, like perhaps not considering the newborn market worth looking into when they already have their hands full with the established markets. I don't think this can be twisted into DICE knowing WiiU can't handle BF4, no. They might find out in the future, but at least this guy doesn't already know.
I meant its telling in terms of BF4 launching on the Wii-U.

There is nothing indicating he had experience with the hardware, he said he "heard the industry talking" about it. Now that isn't a good news if he is working on bf4

He's a lead designer at DICE, a company owned by EA, meaning he no doubt has super-detailed specs of the console and can make a better educated guess than any of us.

Did I get it right?

That's what is still undetermined which means we basically don't know where it falls.

Also, the above is really simplifying everything, from my understanding. You would also need to factor in that the Wii U has a dedicated DSP (though it's likely not being used by most games yet) and more eDRAM. On the flip side, it also has the GamePad which would use some resources as well. While it's debatable if those things even change much, from what I can gather, nobody really knows :p

Alexios

There is nothing indicating he had experience with the hardware
That's exactly what I said... Isn't it? Is my use of English that bad?

he said he "heard the industry talking" about it.
As above.

Now that isn't a good news if he is working on bf4
But remains unconfirmed, and has nothing to do with WiiU being or not being powerful enough for BF4. It could be shit and still run a version of it, just about, it could be better than Dennis' PC and still not get BF4 for other reasons. These other reasons can be the only reasons DICE dev is not already working, or attempting to work, on BF4 WiiU since he's only going by hearsay rather than personal experience about its specs. Only having the latter could even begin to imply (but far from confirm) BF4 is not coming to WiiU due to its power level. And the latter isn't at all implied by his words outside the conspiracy theories about their choosing.

Edit: Sapient clarified he meant it's just telling about the possibility of BF4 on WiiU. I agree with that part, obviously. If he doesn't know shit about the hardware beyond what he's heard then clearly it's not under development, at least not in house.

Edit: Okay, so now we're reading into DICE dev being NDAd and wanting to say he has gone hands on but not being able to because he's somehow more NDAd than the MetroLL dev who very easily spoke his mind without going into speciics. Kay. Rock on.

It's about priorities. You can't invest equally in all areas.

Well, no. But that also doesn't indicate that you must completely neglect one aspect of a design in favor of focusing entirely on another. All I'm saying is that you argued that "good enough" was the logical choice. I suggested that "a little bit better than that" doesn't seem like some unreasonable endeavor that pits them right in the thick of the tech arms race.

Top Bottom