• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro Redux: Uncovered - A look at Redux

galv

Unconfirmed Member
What I'm seriously in shock about is how the Redux games are running at 1080p at 60FPS with quality equal to High settings on a Playstation 4.

Most mid-range PC graphics cards which are supposed to be superior than the console equivalents* (750Ti, 660, 270X) can't run Last Light (High-Very High) at above 45 FPS.

Unless I'm missing something, it seems as though 4A Games have optimized the games for PC a lot more than they're letting on. Anyone have any ideas?

If this is true, I'm glad developers are able to get a lot more out of the current gen and am curious to see how much more can be squeezed from the PS4 tech.

* Based on this: http://cdn4.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/PS4-Vs-Xbox-One-Vs-PS4-Benchmarks.jpg

JJD

This is how you remaster a game. Pay attention Square. I'll still grab SD but only when it reaches 30 bucks.

Calmine

This is fantasic. Played through 2033 on 360 and is was amazing then. Although since upgrading my PC and playing Last Light on that, I can't decide whether to get this on PC or my shiny new PS4.

wiggleb0t

Banned
Last Light was intense on sli 770.
Game looks fantastic, feels chillingly horrific in a good way. Will buy to support quality devs.

Maybe add improved characters animation to OP list?

Majanew

Banned
This, and Halo, are the kinds of remasters I like to see! Those improved visuals and 1080p/60? I'm there, man. I'm there!

AU Tiger

I may day 1 this. I liked 2033 but got stuck at one point and never picked it back up. I never got around to playing last light so this will be a good excuse to get back into 2033 in a touched up environment and also get to play through last light.

Leb

What I'm seriously in shock about is how the Redux games are running at 1080p at 60FPS with quality equal to High settings on a Playstation 4.

Most mid-range PC graphics cards which are supposed to be superior than the console equivalents* (750Ti, 660, 270X) can't run Last Light (High-Very High) at above 45 FPS.

Unless I'm missing something, it seems as though 4A Games have optimized the games for PC a lot more than they're letting on. Anyone have any ideas?

If this is true, I'm glad developers are able to get a lot more out of the current gen and am curious to see how much more can be squeezed from the PS4 tech.

* Based on this: http://cdn4.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/PS4-Vs-Xbox-One-Vs-PS4-Benchmarks.jpg

Eh, that's a virtual benchmark so its predictive power is roughly on par with, let's say, Dick Morris.

Anyways, a 660ti can do about 45fps on 'very high' with tessellation and PhysX, so a PS4 being able to do 60fps on 'high' without PhysX and with less/no tessellation doesn't seem unreasonable. I'm guessing more had to be cut on the X1 version, even with the resolution drop.

Evo X

Rebuying both games on PC Day 1. Some of the most atmospheric and immersive gaming experiences around IMO.

PrinceKee

Was going to get it on Xbox One since I have money in my account, but I'm sick of these X1 games not being 1080p. Guess I'll just get it on PS4. BTW which game is the better one if I only decide to get one?

DieH@rd

Banned
Was going to get it on Xbox One since I have money in my account, but I'm sick of these X1 games not being 1080p. Guess I'll just get it on PS4. BTW which game is the better one if I only decide to get one?

Original Metro2033 had big survival horror wibe that did not sit well with everyone. Last Light was viewed more as "HL2" campaign that is much more streamlined.

However, now both games have 2 play modes, so users can pick either survival horror or streamlined.

Did they move from Ukraine?

Thats great news :)

Back in May they announced that 4A Games was moving their HQ to Malta. Their Kiev studio is still up and running however.

Press release from 4A Games said:
"Key members of the Kiev office, including Creative Director and Co-Founder Andrew Prokhorov, and Chief Technical Officer Oles Shishkovstov, will relocate to Malta, and 4A Games will continue to recruit the very best talent in both Malta and Ukraine as their operations expand."

malta2_1789056b.jpg

MUST BE NICE.
and well deserved, imo.

Drek

Fixed hardware bro. This is why games like Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance on PS2, Rogue Squadron II on Gamecube, etc. all looked as good as they did.

PCs waste a ton of horsepower on overhead and less optimized code as the game needs to run on dozens of different combinations of GPUs, CPUs, mobos, and variable drivers/firmware for all the above. On a console you program to one set of cohesive silicon with a managed single firmware and an OEM ensuring compatibility and providing tools on how to maximize system efficiency.

People need to stop dwelling on the fact that the PS4 wasn't equal to a high end PC system when it launched and instead recognize that it didn't need to be to produce a tangible generation leap forward over PS360. This is the power of fixed hardware. More accurately, this is the power of fixed industry standard hardware with a more mature development environment than is normally provided this early in a platform's life. Mark Cerny said he was developing a system specifically for developers and that is exactly what he did.

coastel

Thats some remaster! Really need this game i'm one of the lucky ones who hasn't played eiva of them. Great month for games.

Nizz

I haven't played either game so this remaster is great news. Love that they went with 60fps, amazing with the kind of visuals this game is pushing.

Will definitely be getting this set. Hopefully I'll have finished TLoU by the time this comes out.

Leonsito

Had no interest in this, already finished 2033 on PC and Last Light didn't seem interesting, but after this video... preordered for X1, they put a lot of work on this and I will gladly support them.

Edit: it seems that I already bought Last Light in Steam .. I don't know when lol

Shredderi

This is great. Already played and loved both on pc but will buy both again for the stellar price of 20e combined. Now that is called bang for your buck. 2033 looks really really good. The outdoors looks miles better in lighting and snow/ground textures. Goddamn!

Sendero

Yes, this is a "remaster" done correctly: Not just the HD/FPS improvements, but added more features, more content and at a lower price.

Glad I hold back on Last light last year. PC is ready.

Vidpixel

I want to buy this game so bad, but I'm just not sure if I'll have the funds to pick it up right away. This definitely looks like a remaster done right.

I really want to support 4A Games though, especially given all they've been through to get this series out in the spotlight.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Nice to see that there has been little to no complaining about this being another remaster.

The complaining about those was getting old and annoying.

Top Bottom