• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Metroid 1.5" - Retro Studios rejected Metroid game

Mael

After Metroid Fusion, Prime Hunters, Prime Pinballs & finally Other M you'd be hard pressed to say that they even care about the whole thing was even about in the beginning (let's not forget that they specifically removed the Prime games from the cannon to put Other M and that horrible manga in their places).

Jackano

Can someone mirror the document or create a pdf. metroid wikia + original site are down and I'd love to have it in some format on my hard drive, I *love* this kind of stuff and information.

New page repost. Every google link leads to the wikia :( I'll try my hand at creating my own document with the text tomorrow if nothing surfaces.

Thirded!

Antioch

After Metroid Fusion, Prime Hunters, Prime Pinballs & finally Other M you'd be hard pressed to say that they even care about the whole thing was even about in the beginning (let's not forget that they specifically removed the Prime games from the cannon to put Other M and that horrible manga in their places).

Oh OK, I understand your reasoning, I just read it as a more general statement about game developers at first.

Whats up with the new Retro Studios animated logo on their website ?? was it there before ??

I think it has been like that for a while now.

Vespene

Metroid 1.5

samus-thumbs-down.jpg

Yazus

Of they worked up a bit on this proposal I think it would have been fucking awesome for the love of Jesus Christ on a candle stick.
Why the hell cant just Retro do their own damn stuff without fucking approvals and shit?

I'm a supporter of bringing Metroid back into 2D for a while. We've got enough 3D Nintendo games, and I don't see a valid reason to rehash the Prime trilogy with another similar game. They stand well enough on their own and don't need another entry. But I'd love to see a full-on 2D Metroid with hand drawn art with a couple modern touches added in.

As for the Retro pitch, it sounds great in text and maybe should have got a shot. But doesn't really mean it would have been executed to the "Prime standard". But I'm also in favor of Nintendo loosening their creative grip on Retro, too. Just give them one game to either prove they can deliver these ideas, and if not, back to business as usual.

zoukka

Of they worked up a bit on this proposal I think it would have been fucking awesome for the love of Jesus Christ on a candle stick.
Why the hell cant just Retro do their own damn stuff without fucking approvals and shit?

They don't posess the philosophers stone?

Apdiddy

From what I read of the OP, the proposed game sounds very much like Dead Space but different. Maybe a bigger head trip for Samus would be encountering Mother Brain & Ripley on the ship but they turn out to be constructed from her mind.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Am I the only one who don't like Prime series and want to see it coming back to 2D (didn't like Other M too...)?

I like both, and can't see why they can't do both either as it isn't like one is stopping the other existing, just Nintendo don't want to.

But at this point it is obvious that Nintendo don't care about putting out any classic styled Metroid on their platforms let alone releasing anything new. The DS, and now the 3DS, would have been a perfect platform for how the older Metroid games looked and played yet they have been ignored.

Mama Robotnik - how do you come across this stuff? it's been said, but you've a knack for finding amazing lost games (or sections of released ones).

Thanks! Some stuff I have found so far:

Retro Studios Metroid 1.5 internal proposal document

Mother Brain and Crocomire Concept art intended for Metroid Prime

Kraid concept art intended for Metroid Prime

Concept art from EA's cancelled Half-Life entry

Eternal Darkness ending art and concepts for an unmade Silicon Knights Gamecube game

Unreleased prototype Gamecube Zelda-themed controller

The Crystal Dynamics internal design documents for the Air Forge level of Soul Reaver 2 (not posted on GAF)

The long-buried initial concept art for Crystal Dynamics "Shifter", the game that would eventually be integrated into the Legacy of Kain mythos as Soul Reaver (not posted on GAF)

Final Fantasy IX background art by a former Crystal Dynamics staffer, with artist's notes (not posted on GAF)

And of course, The cancelled Legacy of Kain game.

In answer to your questions, its the last entry in the above list that inadvertently led me to the rest of these discoveries.

A few years ago I was ill with a mild chest infection, and used the time to search websites for evidence of the cancelled Legacy of Kain game, discovering a lot of portfolio and talent network search methods (and I'm still making further discoveries to this day on this front).

While continuing this search, I often find myself simply blundering into other portfolios and spotting interesting stuff. I'll keep posting what I find!

Top Bottom