• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Big Chungus

Amir0x said:
Hey who is up for a little Metroid marathon?

Super Metroid, Metroid 2, Metroid Fusion, Metroid Zero and the Prime trilogy if you have the time before Other M comes out (probably won't). All the games are super short save the Prime titles so it should be a fun little diversion

I am in so we can have something to talk about while we wait

I haven't played Metroid 1/Zero Mission and Metroid Fusion so I might have to look for these today.

Koodo

Banned
Amir0x said:

Super Metroid, Metroid 2, Metroid Fusion, Metroid Zero and the Prime trilogy if you have the time before Other M comes out (probably won't). All the games are super short save the Prime titles so it should be a fun little diversion

I will try to do Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion as they seem most relevant to Other M.

Honestly, the more Metroid discussion on GAF the better (even if the threads give me a headache sometimes). I kinda liked it when the new trailer and commercial threads were both on the front page at the same time.

Instro

Amir0x said:

I did Super like a week or so ago, I might try to do a quick run through Prime as well or maybe Fusion or ZM or something.

Mafro

Looking back through the screens in the reveal thread, and the game has come a long a hell of a lot - particularly Samus' suit.

MisterHero

they're gonna have to rethink Samus's design

why doesn't she tie back her bangs when in armored form? if her hair falls in front of her eyes, she can't adjust it with the helmet on while in a hostile environment! that's just asking for trouble!

Nice OP

Kard8p3

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Honestly, the more Metroid discussion on GAF the better (even if the threads give me a headache sometimes). I kinda liked it when the new trailer and commercial threads were both on the front page at the same time.

Yeah over the last couple weeks there's been quite a few Metroid topics. Every time some new video came out someone wanted a new topic made. We have the one mother thread here now though so I guess that's over.

Looking forward to read GAF's opinion. The game doesn't really look very good to me. Samus doing ninja stuff is not what I expected for the next Metroid, but here's hoping that the game will surprise me.

traveler

Not Wario
Gotta say I'm pretty worried about this one as well. It just doesn't seem to emphasize what I look for in Metroid games anymore.

It's Metroid, though, so I'd hate to miss it without at least making sure it's just not my style. Would love it if we could get some early reviews from press who've played through it all. Does anyone know when copies went out and/or when the embargo lifts?

Amir0x

Banned
bytesized said:
Looking forward to read GAF's opinion. The game doesn't really look very good to me. Samus doing ninja stuff is not what I expected for the next Metroid, but here's hoping that the game will surprise me.

yeah there's a lot of little things from the style to various elements of gameplay decisions to the developer itself that is what made me sit on the sidelines throughout Metroid: Other M's development process.

Ultimately it's Metroid so I had to give in to my heart.

Starting Zero Mission now. Go go DSLite that still plays GBA games (FU DSi!)

Kard8p3

traveler said:
Gotta say I'm pretty worried about this one as well. It just doesn't seem to emphasize what I look for in Metroid games anymore.

It's Metroid, though, so I'd hate to miss it without at least making sure it's just not my style. Would love it if we could get some early reviews from press who've played through it all. Does anyone know when copies went out and/or when the embargo lifts?

The embargo lifts friday so that's when you can expect reviews.

fireside

MisterHero said:
they're gonna have to rethink Samus's design

why doesn't she tie back her bangs when in armored form? if her hair falls in front of her eyes, she can't adjust it with the helmet on while in a hostile environment! that's just asking for trouble!

Nice OP
The Zero Suit is equipped with heels; I don’t think they care about practicality.

Ridley327

The new issue of Best Buy's @Gamer magazine has what I think is the first review for it and they gave it a 4/5. I only skimmed the article, but they seemed to focus a lot of their complaints on the first person sequences.

Kard8p3

Ridley327 said:
The new issue of Best Buy's @Gamer magazine has what I think is the first review for it and they gave it a 4/5. I only skimmed the article, but they seemed to focus a lot of their complaints on the first person sequences.

Nice score. Some have said you never quite get used to going into first person but I figure it's something I'd get used to.

Koodo said:
Are we (and by we, I mean talented and generous Gaffers) going to Metroidify our avatars?

Already have.

Ridley327

Kard8p3 said:
Nice score. Some have said you never quite get used to going into first person but I figure it's something I'd get used to.

I'll see if I can skim some more at work tomorrow, but they seemed to be pretty up on the game overall.

Amir0x said:

I'm planning on picking up a Wii just for Metroid Prime Trilogy, Super Metroid ( as a downloadable ) and the forthcoming Metroid: Other M. So yeah, I'm partially up for it ( unfortunately I don't have the option to play Metroid Fusion and Zero ).

Duderz

Banned
Amir0x said:

I'm in. I finished Zero Mission (in one sitting!) the other night, so I'll probably replay Prime starting tonight. I'm excited, since the last time I've gone through it was when it was first released, and it was one of my favorite games, so we'll see if it still holds up. :)

TreIII

Yeah! It's time to have fun with Ridley and all his lil friends again! And this time, I don't have to worry about being stuck in a 1st POV. :D

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Whoah, it always seems so unreal that its so close. Just one more week!

EDIT: I just steamrolled Prime again the other day, why not play through Prime 2 and 3, then go back and play Super and Fusion. (don't have Metroid II or Zero Mission :(

Fun times!

heringer

Ridley327 said:
Not familiar with the magazine. Are they credible?

Okay, I'm very excited about this game, but I'm just wondering if you have to deal with all the scanning nonsense you had to deal with in the first metroid prime? That totally turned me off from that game (probably due to my own obsessive compulsiveness as well, but I didn't feel like walking into every room and scanning everything). Is there any of that in this one?

Ridley327

heringer said:
Not familiar with the magazine. Are they credible?
They have lots of coupons for Reward Zone members!

The first issue was fine (it's like 2/3 previews, 1/3 reviews) as far as the writing is concerned, but they have this tendency to softball a lot of their criticism.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Koodo said:
Are we (and by we, I mean talented and generous Gaffers) going to Metroidify our avatars?

Ooh, I want one but I have no photoshop or skills.

If anyone would be gracious enough to Metroidify my avatar in any way, I will be eternally grateful.

2450cis.png

yggdrasil

I'll be late to the party...won't make it there til Day 2, since I have to fly to a client meeting with NASA. Oh well, at least the day will still be thematically consistent.

Pyrokai

Anyone else just HOPING they at least ACKNOWLEDGE the fact that the Prime saga took place? I'm fully expecting the game to act as if none of it ever happened, though :(

I'd like to see some mentions of the Chozo, too....

Pyrokai said:
Anyone else just HOPING they at least ACKNOWLEDGE the fact that the Prime saga took place? I'm fully expecting the game to act as if none of it ever happened, though :(

Prime is not important to this story. It was a subseries to begin with anyway.

Boney

Banned
Pyrokai said:

We had this in the last thread.. it got pretty stupid for a moment.

yggdrasil

I'm actually hoping they don't bring up Prime in any way, shape or form (and I don't think they will, given the advance marketing of M:OM). Those games always felt like Metroid: Expanded Universe anyway.

Pyrokai

Sorry, I never realized you talked about it in the last thread. I didn't go in there much.

Still, it may have been a subseries, but it still dealt with Metroids and the Space Pirates in a huge way. I can't help but think that it wouldn't have been a huge event in Samus' life.

Poyunch

The first person mechanic is pretty much the most important thing they could take from the Prime games. I say it's well represented.

Top Bottom