• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Jack Horner: Do these characters have a name?
Yoshio: The guy's name is Adam Malkovich
Team Ninja: And his partner is Lyle Smithsonian
Jack Horner: Those are some great names

Nice OP by the way. I'm on board for this guy, although I'm only going to allow it as a reward once I've cleared a couple of items off my Steam backlog. We'll see if it will knock off Shadow Complex for my current Super Metroid sucessor crown for this gen.

Rich!

ReXXXSoprano said:
FUCKING KICK ASS OP!!!

These next 8 days will be a test of my sanity. It'll be worth it once I get it into my hands.

11 Days for me. What's worse is that my copy will probably arrive in store next monday, and I won't get to even play it until friday. Until then, it'll be there, staring me in the face. :lol

MNC said:
I don't have Metroid 2.... Grrrrr.
Get a gameboy emulator and play it immediately.

As for the whole Prime thing. It's recognized, just not in that trailer because it was irrelevant to the main story. I'm more or less thinking about the Manga because in the Manga the Chozo created Metroids and Samus knows this, yet in one of the trailers she talks about how Metroids were DISCOVERED on SR388 and in Metroid 2 they call SR388 "their homeworld".

Ridley327

I wish we would stop pretending that the recent emphasis on Metroid's story is nothing more than Nintendo getting a little bored with teasing Zelda fans with a timeline.

This is the coolest OT I've seen on GAF.

Now someone explain what "You're Not Supposed to Remember Him" means. I don't know shit about Metroid :(

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I love Metroid, I just hope this lives up... I've got mixed feelings so I won't be day 1 on this. Probably give it a few days to a week and see what GAF/internet reviews say.

Gomu Gomu

2 days until my vacation. I'll finally get to play my Nintendo games. Mario Galaxy 2, S&P2, NSMBWii, Super Metroid (VC) and Other M. It's gonna be an awesome vacation alright :D .

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
schennmu said:
Now someone explain what "You're Not Supposed to Remember Him" means. I don't know shit about Metroid :(

The first trailer for Other M had the black dude open his mask and proclaim "REMEMBER ME?". Nobody remembers him because he hasn't been in anything.

shahkur

Super Awesome job OP. How long did it take? Much props.

Was wondering, can you only use missiles in 1st person mode? Not that it's entirely a bad thing.

FUUUUUU already! Can't wait for Sunday! :D Excellent OP, btw. Top notch work. =)

Also, I modified the JP boxart as an iPhone wallpaper if you guys wanted to grab it.

samusothermwall.png

richisawesome said:
11 Days for me. What's worse is that my copy will probably arrive in store next monday, and I won't get to even play it until friday. Until then, it'll be there, staring me in the face. :lol

We'll make it through, together my friend. The wait will be worth it.

I watched the retrospective and I just realized something. Samus is part Human, part Chozo and
part Metroid.
I always knew it but it just randomly dawned on me for some reason.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
This game has a terrible boxart. Why does Nintendo suck so much at boxes?

Poyunch

Pyrokai said:
Sorry, I never realized you talked about it in the last thread. I didn't go in there much.

Still, it may have been a subseries, but it still dealt with Metroids and the Space Pirates in a huge way. I can't help but think that it wouldn't have been a huge event in Samus' life.
Well just look at the story.

Metroid: You defeat Mother Brain.
Metroid Prime: You discover Phazon and defeat Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2: Metroid Prime returns as Dark Samus. You save Aether.
Metroid Prime 3: You finally defeat Metroid Prime/Dark Samus and remove all Phazon
Metroid II: You kill all but the one remaining Metroid
Super Metroid: Last remaining Metroid is killed by due to the revived Mother Brain
Other M: Last remaining days of Adam Malkovich.
Metroid Fusion: Due to the eradication of the Metroids we see a surge of the X Parasite. The DNA from the last Metroid saves Samus from being infected. You are guided by the AI of Adam

See there's a sense of continuity and the Prime games sort of have little to do with that.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I think this is the first time an OP was so awesome it convinced me to buy a game.

Salsa

Cant waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait

I actually said to my GF that i would lend her the wii for a month this week or next, completely forgetting that Other M comes out. In fact im trying to avoid her coming home these days so she doesnt take it :lol im guessing im gonna finish it in one or two sittings anyway, then ill lend it and when it comes back ill probably go for %100.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Koodo said:
Are we (and by we, I mean talented and generous Gaffers) going to Metroidify our avatars?
Yeah, I can Metroidify avatars if people tell me what they want. Not sure what I'm going to do with mine yet...

Ridley327

The NA boxart looks nice in person; the hand-painted nature of the piece really shines through.

They can't all be S&P2, though.

Boney

Banned
shahkur said:
Super Awesome job OP. How long did it take? Much props.

Was wondering, can you only use missiles in 1st person mode? Not that it's entirely a bad thing.
Only first person missiles. It'a designed so that if you really want to pack that punch, you're gonna have to take a few moments to prepare yourself.

Also, missiles expansions only go up by 1 instead of 5.

Johnas

My favorite gaming franchise is finally getting a new entry.

I have gotten a lot more interested in this game over the past couple of months, I don't know if it's the marketing emphasis or me playing a lot of RPGs and needing a break from that genre or what. I'm starting to get really curious about some things, like will we see Kraid? Who/what could be the final boss? Will there be sequence breaking, built-in or otherwise?

I really do like most of what I've seen. I'm glad we're getting this, the Prime spinoff stuff didn't need three games in my opinion. I could go either way on the Team Ninja elements, but I trust Sakamoto to make a great-playing Metroid.

Boney said:
Only first person missiles. It'a designed so that if you really want to pack that punch, you're gonna have to take a few moments to prepare yourself.

Also, missiles expansions only go up by 1 instead of 5.

Just to clarify, are you saying that the only way in the game to use a missile is to go into first-person-view, that you cannot use missiles in third person? Is that correct? Does that also mean that you can't fire the power beam in first-person mode?

Johnas

donkey show said:
I was pretty surprised Wal-Mart by my house was advertising the midnight release of this game all over the entrance. Good stuff.

Nice, I may grab it there instead of Gamestop.

Kard8p3

Johnas said:
Just to clarify, are you saying that the only way in the game to use a missile is to go into first-person-view, that you cannot use missiles in third person? Is that correct? Does that also mean that you can't fire the power beam in first-person mode?

To use missiles you have to go into first person and lock on to something. If you don't lock on you just fire the power beam.

Johnas

Kard8p3 said:
To use missiles you have to go into first person and lock on to something. If you don't lock on you just fire the power beam.

Thanks. I don't know how many times I've read "You can only fire missiles in first-person mode". I wasn't sure if that meant "In first-person mode, the only thing you can do is fire missiles" or "To use missiles you have to enter first-person mode".

I appreciate the clarification.

Ramirez

Definitely gonna make the wait for Reach a little more bearable. I'll be interested to see if this can even come close to my love for Prime 1/2.

Rich!

Shin Johnpv said:
Anyone know if this will be in stores on the 31st or will we have to wait till the 1st?

It's out on the 31st in the USA, dude. If you go into a store, and it isn't on shelves, punch the shopkeeper/store manager until it appears.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Penguin said:
Think asked in other thread, but any word on if Nintendo World Store is gonna do a weekend event for the game?

I was just trying to look that info up...

Amir0x

Banned
heh i beat Zero Mission already. I forgot how short Metroid 1 is.

On to Fusion while I still have my DSLite handy

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
What's up with US box arts? Why do we love montages so much? Doesn't make any sense. The simple and graphic look of the Japanese box is so much more eye catching.

sfried

Extollere said:
What's up with US box arts? Why do we love montages so much? Doesn't make any sense. The simple and graphic look of the Japanese box is so much more eye catching.
The Japanese one is too aurteur for American tastes.

Sadly, the EU version gets the same US treatment. They usually get the Japanese version of a more sensible compromise of both US and Japanese versions.

Rich!

I may well bash out a full runthrough of Zero Mission again - I'm just unsure of whether to play it on my GBA, or on VBA-M, with a SNES pad. 2 inch badly lit gaming goodness vs 32 inch high definition goodness. Hm.

Top Bottom