• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Ridley327

heringer said:
Well, Fusion is better than Super Metroid, so I'd say your expectations are pretty high too.

Yeah, I said it.
I suppose if you ingest a lethal amount of alcohol, Fusion is better.

heringer

Boney said:
I love Fusion, but it really isn't. The only thing better are tighter controls.
MUCH tighter controls. It just makes the experience way better overall.

The environment puzzles aren't as good, sure, but the atmosphere and boss battles are better. But I'm well aware I'm the minority here. :D

I think Fusion and Super Metroid are very different games that both excel at their differing goals.

EDIT: Maybe not very different, but they both have distinctive styles.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Fusion was my first Metroid game, so I was never bothered by the linearity. Playing Super for the first time was an eye-opening experience though, and Prime was even better.

Boney

Banned
heringer said:
MUCH tighter controls. It just makes the experience way better overall.

The environment puzzles aren't as good, sure, but the atmosphere and boss battles are better. But I'm well aware I'm the minority here. :D
I'd say boss battles are a tie, but Super has sequence breaking..

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I am still going to buy this and play it, despite my exaggerated negativity.

If anything, the optimist in me realises that my current attitude actually puts the game in a really good position to surprise me. I'm always going to mourn the loss of the awesome Gamecube-era Retro world design, but it doesn't mean this won't be a pretty good way to spend a few hours.

Ridley327

EmCeeGramr said:
I think Fusion and Super Metroid are very different games that both excel at their differing goals.

EDIT: Maybe not very different, but they both have distinctive styles.
You're right.

Fusion does excel at reminding me why Super is better.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
The lack of general interest in this game disturbs me. It doesn't surprise me, but it surely makes me uneasy.

Oli

I'm playing through Fusion for the first time right now actually. The game moves a lot smoother, control-wise. But ultimately SM is better.

It really doesn't matter though, because Zero Mission is just plain better than both.

Honestly, maybe it was because cruel fate made it so that I only played Super Metroid years after I had played ZM and Fusion, but it didn't hit me with the "HOLY WOWSOME BEST GAME EVER" that I expected. The oddly clunky controls and relatively simple and easy boss fights were part of that. It's still a great game, and if I had to pick, I'd edge it just over Fusion (though it really depends on my mood).

I've been part of the 'GAF replays the Metroid Series' thread and have already made my way through the original Metroid, Zero Mission, and Prime 1. I'll tackle Prime 2, Prime 3, Metroid II as well as the unarguable factually best Metroid game in Super Metroid which sets me up beautifully for when Other M comes out.

God I love this series.

Ridley327

I do agree that it's hard to imagine why Super Metroid got such a rep back in the day. What you have to remember, though, is that it was one of the first games out there that managed to combine a lot of cinematic prowess straight into the gameplay; it was Half-Life 4 years before Half-Life came out. It is an immensely cohesive experience that's gone unrivaled in virtually every aspect.

Metroid Fusion, in comparison, has more streamlined mechanics, but with a substantially less engaging atmosphere and it forces you to read some really shitty Metroid fanfiction.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
You have to go left.

Left.

It turned my world upside down.

This thread reminded of the release of MP3: Corruption and how Nintendo released preview videos for the game.

Remember when the Aurora Unit video was released and the whole fucking world went nuts? Ah man, good times :lol

Ridley327 said:
I do agree that it's hard to imagine why Super Metroid got such a rep back in the day. What you have to remember, though, is that it was one of the first games out there that managed to combine a lot of cinematic prowess straight into the gameplay; it was Half-Life 4 years before Half-Life came out. It is an immensely cohesive experience that's gone unrivaled in virtually every aspect.

Metroid Fusion, in comparison, has more streamlined mechanics, but with a substantially less engaging atmosphere and it forces you to read some really shitty Metroid fanfiction.

I really didn't find the atmosphere less "engaging." It was different, but not worse.

pulga

Banned
Ridley327 said:

Less engaging? Not really, SA-X constantly kept me on the edge of my seat, so to speak.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Ridley327 said:

I dont think its hard to imagine at all. Even for people who dont rank SM as their favourite, it requires no effort to see why it got so much praise, and why it has such an enduring legacy.

I was talking with my housemate's boyfriend yesterday about being excited for Other M. He has utterly no interest in Metroid, and has never owned a Nintendo system in his life. Yet out of the blue said that when he played Super Metroid he was completely blown away by the scope and feel of the game.

Kard8p3

heringer said:
Well, Fusion is better than Super Metroid, so I'd say your expectations are pretty high too.

Yeah, I said it.

Have you played Fusion recently? Everytime I play it I almost get to the point where I want to put it over super but my love of sequence breaking barely keeps super on top. Both are amazing games though.

heringer

Ridley327 said:

Well, I will have to disagree. I actually like Fusion's atmosphere better. The SA-X encounters are the most memorable moments in the franchise to me.

And I didn't think the story was shitty at all.

One thing is for sure, Fusion doesn't come close to achieving what Super Metroid achieved in it's time. With that I agree.

Amir0x

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
It really doesn't matter though, because Zero Mission is just plain better than both.

Honestly, maybe it was because cruel fate made it so that I only played Super Metroid years after I had played ZM and Fusion, but it didn't hit me with the "HOLY WOWSOME BEST GAME EVER" that I expected. The oddly clunky controls and relatively simple and easy boss fights were part of that. It's still a great game, and if I had to pick, I'd edge it just over Fusion (though it really depends on my mood).

Imo the thing that puts Super Metroid over any other Metroid is the level design. Super Metroid's entire package is just finely honed perfection, I've never seen a game with so many billions of ways to exploit even the tiniest of passages using skill alone. The speed runs on the game are absolutely sick.

I love Fusion (and Zero Mission), and Fusion does things with the narrative structure of the series and even hints at horror at ways that were truly impressive for a GBA game, but overall there was a level of linearity versus Super Metroid that really restricted the exploratory muscle that these games should have. I mean I am still finding new ways to beat Super Metroid after all these years.

I also disagree with the clunky controls comment, but that's something that doesn't bother me really. I can see why someone might feel that way.

Ridley327

I sometimes get the feeling that I'm the only Metroid fan that doesn't give two shits about speedrunning or sequence breaking.

heringer

Kard8p3 said:
Have you played Fusion recently? Everytime I play it I almost get to the point where I want to put it over super but my love of sequence breaking barely keeps super on top. Both are amazing games though.
I finished all the 2D games this month (except for Metroid II, but who cares right). Before this replay section Zero Mission was actually my favorite. It comes and goes, my rank is not written in stone. :lol

But yeah, sequence breaking really is a big part of Super's charm. That's why it's the most replayable Metroid game.

Amir0x said:
Imo the thing that puts Super Metroid over any other Metroid is the level design. Super Metroid's entire package is just finely honed perfection, I've never seen a game with so many billions of ways to exploit even the tiniest of passages using skill alone. The speed runs on the game are absolutely sick.

I love Fusion (and Zero Mission), and Fusion does things with the narrative structure of the series and even hints at horror at ways that were truly impressive for a GBA game, but overall there was a level of linearity versus Super Metroid that really restricted the exploratory muscle that these games should have. I mean I am still finding new ways to beat Super Metroid after all these years.

I also disagree with the clunky controls comment, but that's something that doesn't bother me really. I can see why someone might feel that way.

The clunky controls was just my initial reaction after playing the GBA games. I easily adapted and they didn't feel very clunky after that, but it was notably odd to have a run button, an item-cancel button, and two separate aiming buttons, while item selection was done by cycling through a menu. Want to use Power Bombs or the Grapple Beam? Deselect missiles, because they're all designated to one button, and it is NOT sensitive to the context.

And yes, I can definitely appreciate the level designs. That was the one thing that struck me: while bombing and blasting everything in the GBA games netted items every so often, SM is riddled with secret rooms and items. You're practically tripping over them if you just know where to look.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Ridley327 said:
I sometimes get the feeling that I'm the only Metroid fan that doesn't give two shits about speedrunning.
I've never really been a sequence breaker or anything.

heringer said:
I finished all the 2D games this month (except for Metroid II, but who cares right). Before this replay section Zero Mission was actually my favorite. It comes and goes, my rank is not written in stone. :lol

But yeah, sequence breaking really is a big part of Super's charm. That's why it's the most replayable Metroid game.
Yooooouuuu should be slapped for that...

I don't care for sequence breaking either.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I really wish they'd give Metroid II the Zero Mission treatment.

pulga

Banned
Ridley327 said:
I sometimes get the feeling that I'm the only Metroid fan that doesn't give two shits about speedrunning or sequence breaking.

Don't worry, you're not alone.

heringer

I'm not that big on sequence breaking either, but you got to admit, you can do some pretty amazing stuff in Super with skill alone.

Johnas

I used to be in the "who gives a crap" camp about speed running and sequence breaking until a couple of years ago, when I started giving some of them a shot, and they can breathe such new life into these games.

The only one I've really done speedruns on is Zero Mission, but sequence breaking in Super is so much fun. A couple of them I actually had figured out on my own way back when the game first released (early power bomb for example) before the term was common knowledge.

Prime's early space jump is still king though.

EatChildren said:
I really wish they'd give Metroid II the Zero Mission treatment.

As do I, but moreso because I would love to see how much more they could flesh it out.

Contrary to what many on GAF will tell you, the original Metroid (and Metroid II for that matter) are far from unplayable. They're terrific little games, just a bit unwieldy due to some confusing level design.

I loved seeing the original get a remake - and Zero Mission is a fantastic Metroid game - but by no means did it make the original irrelevant. Nor would a Metroid II remake. They're still great games. I would just love to see what else they could do with it with increased horsepower and 20 years more experience with the franchise.

Ridley327

Rez said:
I've never really been a sequence breaker or anything.
It's really cool that the games have aspects like that, but I've always been way more into the harmony of incredible atmosphere and storytelling techniques that have been a part of the series since the NES; all this and it never got in the way of the gameplay. Seeing Fusion resorting to dull and uninteresting cutscenes felt like such a step back.

Wow, I guess I'm not alone after all!

Kard8p3

udivision said:
SA-X made me freak out. That was the only time any game I I've played ever did.

Yeah when I first played Fusion it blew my mind how a GBA game could put me on edge like it did. Every time it got silent and I heard SA-X walking around I would just stay completely still. Of course I would always come out at the wrong time and get killed in the early parts of the game.

Johnas

_Alkaline_ said:
As do I, but moreso because I would love to see how much more they could flesh it out.

Contrary to what many on GAF will tell you, the original Metroid (and Metroid II for that matter) are far from unplayable. They're terrific little games, just a bit unwieldy due to some confusing level design.

I loved seeing the original get a remake - and Zero Mission is a fantastic Metroid game - but by no means did it make the original irrelevant. Nor would a Metroid II remake. They're still great games. I would just love to see what else they could do with it with increased horsepower and 20 years more experience with the franchise.

Metroid II remake is the 2D Metroid the DS should have gotten, but never will.

Datschge

Ridley327 said:
It being on a then badly lit handheld system may also have had effect on the experienced atmosphere.

Ridley327 said:
It's really cool that the games have aspects like that, but I've always been way more into the harmony of incredible atmosphere and storytelling techniques that have been a part of the series since the NES; all this and it never got in the way of the gameplay. Seeing Fusion resorting to dull and uninteresting cutscenes felt like such a step back.

Honestly, Super performed the art of minimalist story-telling so damn well that Fusion's decision to go in a different direction was actually a good decision to me. Rather than ape what Super perfected, it took the series in a new direction and (I thought) breathed some new life into the series. Every follow-up should be trying to push the boundaries and Fusion did that, for better and for worse.

Ridley327

Datschge said:
It being on a then badly lit handheld system may also have had effect on the experienced atmosphere.
I didn't have as many problems with the GBA lighting. I was just put off by the mechanical layout of the levels. I mean, that's the point since it is an artificial habitat, but it's marked departure from previous games and it's one I never cared for. A lot of my apprehension for Other M has been that I can't shake the feeling that it's a mega-budget Fusion.

Top Bottom