• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Kard8p3

Tathanen said:
Having played for something like 6 hours straight, I have to say that the "omg it's all cinemas" concerns are 100% unfounded. This is basically all playin, right here.

This game is great. I was as concerned as anyone originally, but trust me, it is good beef and chicken. The combat feels fantastic, and the things that are iffy when you first start with them: changing remote positions, the dpad controls, samus's voice, all become certifiable non-issues after an hour or so. I actually LOVE the remote positions at the moment, and the d-pad is the only kind of thing that would make the sense move even work, which is half of why the combat is so good.

I guess I'm not supposed to talk about this since it's after the first 2 hours, but we all know it's in there already, and it's in the friggin manual. Speedboost/shinespark. Spectacular. Could not be more delightful if it tried.

And, I am going to bed.

The hype is rising!!!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Tathanen said:
Having played for something like 6 hours straight, I have to say that the "omg it's all cinemas" concerns are 100% unfounded. This is basically all playin, right here.

This game is great. I was as concerned as anyone originally, but trust me, it is good beef and chicken. The combat feels fantastic, and the things that are iffy when you first start with them: changing remote positions, the dpad controls, samus's voice, all become certifiable non-issues after an hour or so. I actually LOVE the remote positions at the moment, and the d-pad is the only kind of thing that would make the sense move even work, which is half of why the combat is so good.

I guess I'm not supposed to talk about this since it's after the first 2 hours, but we all know it's in there already, and it's in the friggin manual. Speedboost/shinespark. Spectacular. Could not be more delightful if it tried.

And, I am going to bed.
do you find upgrades or are they mostly authorised?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Any objections lady hurr dur?

Tathanen said:

And, I am going to bed.

fuck yeah metroid

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Rez said:

I found... one thing that wasn't authorized. Barring quantity upgrades and stuff. Which are kind of neat themselves.

As much as Prime 1 felt so much like Metroid, this feels equally like Metroid, just in a completely different way.

And okay NOW actually going to bed.

Ledsen

Ridley327 said:
I do agree that it's hard to imagine why Super Metroid got such a rep back in the day. What you have to remember, though, is that it was one of the first games out there that managed to combine a lot of cinematic prowess straight into the gameplay; it was Half-Life 4 years before Half-Life came out. It is an immensely cohesive experience that's gone unrivaled in virtually every aspect.

Metroid Fusion, in comparison, has more streamlined mechanics, but with a substantially less engaging atmosphere and it forces you to read some really shitty Metroid fanfiction.

How is it hard to imagine? It's still the overwhelmingly best 2D Metroid game. The atmosphere, music, level design and scope are all unparalleled. I also can't believe people are shitting on Super's controls, to me they are perfect and in no way inferior to the later entries, simply different.

Koodo

Banned
Tathanen said:

And, I am going to bed.
2i13qx.jpg

I need to haul my ass to the nearest store and pre-order this shit already.

Haunted

Tathanen said:

And, I am going to bed.
hobbes_gaf.gif
hobbes_gaf.gif
hobbes_gaf.gif
hobbes_gaf.gif
hobbes_gaf.gif

that's what I'm doing right now

Already paid in full, just waiting now. Playing Fusion at the moment, and after that I have to jump back into Echoes and Corruption. Hopefully I'll get those finished before next Tuesday.

Ledsen said:
How is it hard to imagine? It's still the overwhelmingly best 2D Metroid game. The atmosphere, music, design quality and scope are all unparalleled. I also can't believe people are shitting on Super's controls, to me they are perfect and in no way inferior to the later entries, simply different.

Well said, though I do understand how some could take issue with the more floaty controls of Super, particularly if they played Zero Mission first. But that's about it. When you make a checklist of all the things that make Metroid so good, Super is above all the rest. Even Prime and Zero Mission. It's not nostalgia, it's just appreciation of how much IS nailed it. The fact that games like Prime, ZM, even Fusion are comparable to SM is a testament to how consistent in quality the series is.

Koodo

Banned
Someone should be the Best Poster Ever™ and Metroidify my avatar.

I would be eternally gratefully. :c

goldenpp72

Anyone know if amazon will offer same day shipping on this, I kinda want it but ill be leaving for work on the 2nd or 3rd and won't be back until November so.. i'd be pounding it out quick either way.

Luigiv

Instro said:
FUUUU I was just doing the same thing to my avatar. :lol
Well hopes not lost yet, maybe Koodo wont want it. I only spent a minute on it, so I won't be torn if it goes unused :lol

Koodo

Banned
Luigiv said:
:lol Awesome. You have received my eternal gratitude. ü

The only thing I could see making it even more perfect is a space/alien background replacing the celestial clouds, but I don't want to ask for too much. :c

Luigiv

Koodo said:
:lol Awesome. You have received my eternal gratitude. ü

The only thing I could see making it even more perfect is a space/alien background replacing the celestial clouds, but I don't want to ask for too much. :c
Glad you like it :D. Too lazy to shop in that background for you, though :p (plus I personally think that'd be overdoing the homage).

Rez said:

Again, those who have it aren't supposed to talk about the game beyond the first 2 hours and what's already public knowledge, but from what can be said, and what I said before in the other thread, actual power-ups are only authorized so far. Expansions and upgrades to existing abilities (ie charge accelerators) are hidden and collectible.

Luigiv

TSA said:
Again, those who have it aren't supposed to talk about the game beyond the first 2 hours and what's already public knowledge, but from what can be said, and what I said before in the other thread, actual power-ups are only authorized so far. Expansions and upgrades to existing abilities (ie charge accelerators) are hidden and collectible.
According to Sakamoto in a recent interview there will be some power-ups that are found the good old fashion way.

Edit: Think it was this one.

Oh yea, the diffusion beam...which I mentioned in the other thread. But uh...yeah. If you count that, sure. But within the time frame of the opening two hours of the game, that's the only one out of anything else. It's nothing like previous Metroid titles in that regard, so far. Energy Tanks, Energy Parts, Charge Accelerators, and Missile Expansions are found the "good old fashioned" way, so far.

You mean this quote:

Sakamoto said:
You're right when you say that you start off with more weapons this time but have to receive permission to unlock them. But I should tell you that you'll also be defeating enemies and acquiring upgrades on your own as well. Of course, I can't say too much about it at the moment, but we're definitely trying to find a balance point between receiving permission and finding weapons yourself.

Instro

Luigiv said:
Well hopes not lost yet, maybe Koodo wont want it. I only spent a minute on it, so I won't be torn if it goes unused :lol

No worries, Im jumping on the avatar bandwagon with this instead. It was definitely worth my time to fit Ridley for a suit and bowtie. :lol

Kard8p3

Luigiv said:
According to Sakamoto in a recent interview there will be some power-ups that are found the good old fashion way.

Edit: Think it was this one.

Yep he says there will be abilities you gain from enemies that have never been seen in the series.

kiryogi

Banned
Tathanen said:

And, I am going to bed.

Can you tell us if it requires 4.3?

Nessus

Honestly I've never felt like there even needs to be an explanation as to why she lost her powers.

It's the single most definitive gameplay mechanic in the series. It wouldn't make any sense to start off with the same abilities from the previous games.

Socreges

Banned
Has anyone spoken much about the exploration yet? eg, finding secret passages and items? The most I've heard is "there are morph ball puzzles".

The_Technomancer said:
Fusion was my first Metroid game, so I was never bothered by the linearity. Playing Super for the first time was an eye-opening experience though, and Prime was even better.

Same here. In fact I dug Fusion so much I started a new game almost immediately after the credits. I still have to finish Super, though. I'll say this, the Prime series didn't do it for me one bit. Couldn't even finish the first and so Echos and Corruption remain to be played.

robor

Of all the debates, of all the arguments, of all the disagreements we've had over the past months in previous Other M threads, nothing is as defining than seeing |OT| next to Metroid: Other M.

It's been a blast people.....now let's play some fuckin' Metroid!

Im glad people are liking the OP :D

sfried said:
"El Pollo Loco trailer"

I didn't know the name got cannonized.

Hahaha, sorry, originally is was called something like exclusive gametrailers gameplay, and as it was the one where Ridley jr appearedn and people have started to call him el pollo loco, though it was funny to do it. :lol

shahkur said:
Super Awesome job OP. How long did it take? Much props.

Was wondering, can you only use missiles in 1st person mode? Not that it's entirely a bad thing.

When I got in full steam, something like a week (stoping and doing other things, as I have work and life :lol ) but yeah, a week or so. The one that cost me more time is the controlls, I started gathering all the info about the game and the 1st person view was really bad explained, until adding all then info iI comprehend that missiles could only be shot locking on an enemy and normal beam without locking. Technomancer helped me a little by telling me you could fire beam and charge beam in first person, something that no one said in the previews.

cosmicblizzard said:
I know I'm late, but this

vuUlA.jpg

D*t^ inC0nqL>t1

is awesome! Great job on the OP.
:lol

Thought it was goin to be funny doing a corrupted file for the unknown clone samus. Its surprising that anyone talks about her and seems to be an important plotwist in the game.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Tathanen said:

And, I am going to bed.
Whoooo! I was actually on the fence until I went hands on at Comic-Con, and now I am just that much more hyped!

Tathanen, can you comment on whether its more linear like Fusion or open like Super?

Top Bottom