• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Amir0x

Banned
Freyjadour said:
I just...can't get excited about this. First Metroid game I haven't hyped to shit about (other than Hunters)

One thing I feel pretty confident about is that there is no way this will be as bad as Hunters :lol

Ridley327

Nothing amazes me more than the fact that the final version of Hunters was substantially improved over what we were originally supposed to be receiving and it's still fairly terrible.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
scitek said:
If someone wants to Metroidize my avatar for me, I'd be more than grateful. :lol
Here ya go:
w1panm.gif

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
_Alkaline_ said:
As do I, but moreso because I would love to see how much more they could flesh it out.

Contrary to what many on GAF will tell you, the original Metroid (and Metroid II for that matter) are far from unplayable. They're terrific little games, just a bit unwieldy due to some confusing level design.

I loved seeing the original get a remake - and Zero Mission is a fantastic Metroid game - but by no means did it make the original irrelevant. Nor would a Metroid II remake. They're still great games. I would just love to see what else they could do with it with increased horsepower and 20 years more experience with the franchise.

Yeah, I know, but I enjoyed Zero so much that I no longer have any desire to play the original. For me personally the mechanics have become old and clunky, largely due to how expansive and tighter Super Metroid made the formula.

Dont get me wrong, I think Metroid is still great design and has plenty of value, I just no longer have any reason to play it. I feel what was accomplished with Super to be the 'base' feel for Metroid, and the differences in the first two entirely due to technical hurdles.

Teknoman

Ridley327 said:
I sometimes get the feeling that I'm the only Metroid fan that doesn't give two shits about speedrunning or sequence breaking.

You arent.

...wonder if my avatar could be metroidized?

The Technomancer

Teknoman said:
You arent.

...wonder if my avatar could be metroidized?
Well I can easily put either a Metroid or Samus' helmet (with transparent visor) on their head, or if there's anything else you can think of...

Haunted

Amir0x said:
One thing I feel pretty confident about is that there is no way this will be as bad as Hunters :lol
I think this'll rank nicely along the other games.

The new gameplay direction will probably split some of the fans again just like Prime did, although I don't expect them to achieve the greatness of the Prime games.

The more I see from the gameplay videos, the more hyped I get. This is a good sign. :D

Poyunch

The_Technomancer said:
Well I can easily put either a Metroid or Samus' helmet (with transparent visor) on their head, or if there's anything else you can think of...
You should totally put the the Anthony visor animation that switches between Anthony's face and his current avatar.

The Technomancer

PounchEnvy said:
You should totally put the the Anthony visor animation that switches between Anthony's face and his current avatar.
Hm, you mean cut out the visor and Anthony's face and drop it over the avatar, opening to reveal the avatar face?

Okay, for anyone who does want it, I'm isolating the Higgs helmet and removing his face. I'll be able to plop it down on whoever asks.

Nessus

Really, really don't get the Metroid II hate.

Metroid II is one of my favorites in the series, and despite the "linearity" I think it involves more pure exploration (by virtue of no map) than any of the other entries (the exploration in the original was hampered by unforgiving controls/difficulty and not just repetitive level design, but the outright copying and pasting of entire areas).

heringer

Kard8p3 said:
Found the Digital Chump vids on youtube for any that might not be able to get their vids to work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbS5to6j6bc
I just don't get tired of watching this video. The combat looks so much fun and the way the battle start... it's just awesome. Also, the second chameleon monster clearly is the one stalking you by the end of the third video, which is awesome. :lol

Poyunch

The_Technomancer said:
Hm, you mean cut out the visor and Anthony's face and drop it over the avatar, opening to reveal the avatar face?

Okay, for anyone who does want it, I'm isolating the Higgs helmet and removing his face. I'll be able to plop it down on whoever wants it.
Yeah. But it would switch between Anthony and the avatar's face. I mean if that's possible. :lol

Teknoman said:
Maybe Samus's visor, since that would make it more recognizable.
nvm :3

Diffense

_Alkaline_ said:
Honestly, Super performed the art of minimalist story-telling so damn well that Fusion's decision to go in a different direction was actually a good decision to me. Rather than ape what Super perfected, it took the series in a new direction and (I thought) breathed some new life into the series. Every follow-up should be trying to push the boundaries and Fusion did that, for better and for worse.

I'm definitely of this opinion.
Metroid is unique among Nintendo franchises in being as much about gameplay as it is about setting and atmosphere.

Sakamoto's inspiration for Super Metroid's storytelling was the silent film which was great for the technology and the time.
But a console game that completely mimics Super Metroid's style in 2010 would be underwhelming.

OTOH, Other M's attempt to continually motivate the gameplay with a story presented cinematically and with full voice acting has no counterpart in the rest of Nintendo's output.
That's why Sakamoto couldn't find a Nintendo team to develop it...

Nessus said:
Really, really don't get the Metroid II hate.

Metroid II is one of my favorites in the series, and despite the "linearity" I think it involves more pure exploration (by virtue of no map) than any of the other entries (the exploration in the original was hampered by unforgiving controls/difficulty and not just repetitive level design, but the outright copying and pasting of entire areas).

Keep in mind that RoS had several copy-and-paste rooms as well.

Metroid II is absolutely a better balanced game, and took Metroid exploration to new areas, but it still contains some of the unfortunate flaws of the original.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
In anticipation of Other M, I just bought Super Metroid.
I haven't played it since I was very young, but it's downloading as I type this. I feel like I should play it before I get started with Other M, plus it'll keep me occupied until next Tuesday. Should be fun.

Gravijah

Schattenjagger said:
oooo i cant wait..

thank you for a most excellent thread

can someone metroidize my avatar?

Fo rillz. If someone can add a samus helmet or have a metroid sucking on the head of one of my avatars, I will love you for an extended period of time.

Diffense

BTW, see the first minute of this for the kind of integration of cinematics and gameplay I'm expecting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ATX2Lom2Ho

The pre-rendered work ends at the 33rd second (greatly simplified flooring is the biggest clue) but it's pretty seemless and first person gameplay takes over at the 50 second mark.
Then the door catches Samus' attention and the game switches into a 3rd person side view camera.
I wonder if they're going to be able to keep the loading on cue throughout.

Teknoman

Just wondering from watching the videos...but will this be the only Metroid without the item received theme?

Unless the Accel Charge and Missile pickups dont give the theme/count as side items.

pulga

Banned
The_Technomancer said:

Mind slapping one of those on Lennon over here? :3

The Technomancer

I'm going to bed in a few minutes guys, as soon as I finish Teknoman's. I'll try to handle you guys as well in the morning though, unless someone else takes over tonight.

PounchEnvy said:
Yeah. But it would switch between Anthony and the avatar's face. I mean if that's possible.
That is a great idea that I will totally work on when I'm not sleep deprived, hehe

Davey Cakes

Ridley327 said:
I sometimes get the feeling that I'm the only Metroid fan that doesn't give two shits about speedrunning or sequence breaking.
It's not just you. I really enjoy Metroid games by playing them very slowly and taking in the details. I pretty much do a once-through of Metroid games then wait a year or two and do a replay. I'm not the type who feels a sense of completion from doing speedruns.

olimpia84

Freyjadour said:
I just...can't get excited about this. First Metroid game I haven't hyped to shit about (other than Hunters)

Same here, I think what bothers me the most if the fast paced gameplay which is a huge part of this game. Won't be a day one for me but I'll probably buy it down the road.

The Technomancer

Okay, here's Teknoman's:
345d92w.png

I wanted to get the Higgs Helmet done tonight as well, but I cant figure out how to save an animated gif in Photoshop. I've got the layers set up properly, adjusted everything on the animation panel, but it just won't play when saved as a .gif. Anyone else know what I'm missing? (I normally edit in Fireworks, but this required too much work so I used PS)

Gravijah

Rash said:
It's not just you. I really enjoy Metroid games by playing them very slowly and taking in the details. I pretty much do a once-through of Metroid games then wait a year or two and do a replay. I'm not the type who feels a sense of completion from doing speedruns.

I don't speed run/sequence break any game I play, so I enjoy Metroid for the exploration/etc myself.

Parham

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Okay, here's Teknoman's:

I wanted to get the Higgs Helmet done tonight as well, but I cant figure out how to save an animated gif in Photoshop. I've got the layers set up properly, adjusted everything on the animation panel, but it just won't play when saved as a .gif. Anyone else know what I'm missing? (I normally edit in Fireworks, but this required too much work so I used PS)
Have you tried "Save for Web & Devices"?

kinggroin

Banned
Those youtube gameplay videos have pretty much killed any and all hope I had for this game to be worth picking up day one.

It looks atrocious. Utterly atrocious.

Kard8p3

kinggroin said:
Those youtube gameplay videos have pretty much killed any and all hope I had for this game to be worth picking up day one.

What about it looks atrocious to you?

Rash said:

Same here. What I hate about the GBA games were the better ending you get for speedrunning. Kinda kills the enjoyment of exploring when you have a clock ticking in the back and I'm not the type who beats a game twice unless it rocks my socks off.

Teknoman

kinggroin said:

a·tro·cious
   
–adjective

shockingly bad or tasteless; dreadful; abominable

No.

riceandbeans said:
Same here. What I hate about the GBA games were the better ending you get for speedrunning. Kinda kills the enjoyment of exploring when you have a clock ticking in the back and I'm not the type who beats a game twice unless it rocks my socks off.

All Metroid games did this, aside from the Prime titles which were based on your percentage of item collection.

Diffense

heringer said:
I just don't get tired of watching this video. The combat looks so much fun and the way the battle start... it's just awesome. Also, the second chameleon monster clearly is the one stalking you by the end of the third video, which is awesome. :lol

You can actually turn the tables on the lizard after the tail grab by throwing it instead.
I saw someone do it in another youtube video.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Things I would like right now;

- Metroid: Other M
- A masala dosa
- Tophat

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Having played for something like 6 hours straight, I have to say that the "omg it's all cinemas" concerns are 100% unfounded. This is basically all playin, right here.

This game is great. I was as concerned as anyone originally, but trust me, it is good beef and chicken. The combat feels fantastic, and the things that are iffy when you first start with them: changing remote positions, the dpad controls, samus's voice, all become certifiable non-issues after an hour or so. I actually LOVE the remote positions at the moment, and the d-pad is the only kind of thing that would make the sense move even work, which is half of why the combat is so good.

I guess I'm not supposed to talk about this since it's after the first 2 hours, but we all know it's in there already, and it's in the friggin manual. Speedboost/shinespark. Spectacular. Could not be more delightful if it tried.

And, I am going to bed.

Top Bottom