• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime: Federation Force |OT| Four Mech Adventures

TheMoon

Ok, had the most nerve breaking online game yet. Imagine this:

1. internet over my phone, in a barely-any-cell-coverage area (game's netcode is rock-solid, BTW)
2. just two of us, on Tremors, with none of us having played that level before apparently (peer ran past a rather easy mod location)
3. I had by some unbelievable luck, or a hitch, the following setup: 50% dmg reduction, null plating and 100% freeze extender.

That mod setup saved our asses A GAZILLION times during the orb battle - I fell down once, my peer - a few times, and most of those times I survived by the skin of my teeth (null + 50% reduce) while reviving him (final phase with ground pounding shockwaves). And those were my only 50% reduce and null platings - losing those would've been devastating to my career. But we came out victorious, with almost 2 medals, at that. My hands are still shaky /signing out for the night.

More stories like this, loving reading such stuff :D

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
More stories like this, loving reading such stuff :D
I still can't believe we pulled it off - there were so many things that could've gone wrong on that level. Heck, my internet connection could've dropped any minute, and we spent some 15 minutes on that boss fight.

Regiruler

Anyone still playing this? I rented it from gamefly and want to try the co op before I send it back.
Do you mean in this thread or in general?

I know I am active once a week or so but I take requests.

In general you can usually get a room of at least 3 in about 10 minutes, faster if it's a high activity time. Generally better to join an already open room thoufh.

blu

Do you mean in this thread or in general?

I know I am active once a week or so but I take requests.

In general you can usually get a room of at least 3 in about 10 minutes, faster if it's a high activity time. Generally better to join an already open room though.
Actually these past fri and sat it was much faster - parties were formed within a couple of minutes, and there were a few hard difficulty rooms as well.

Trivia question: it's Samus' ship that flies by GFS Daedalus on m11, by the time you get to the ship's upper level, right? Logic keeps telling me it should be a pirate dropship, by my eyes say it's Samus.

Andyliini

I played some local multiplayer with my friends yesterday. I personally have beaten the game solo, but this was my first time playing multiplayer extensively. We had fun playing, while drinking some beer at the same time. We began advancing from mission 6, and ended right after the second boss, which was maybe mission 14.

It's strange how different the game is whether you play solo or in group. For example, mission 11 was almost impossible for me solo, we cleared it first time with all three medals. Whereas thge second boss, I beat it solo with my first try, but in multiplayer, we had hard times with it. We had to learn evenly to shoot the core and the sentinels, and their ammunitions. When we finally were able to clear the bosses third forms health to under half, I took aim, and shot a super missile right at it. We finally won that way.

Multiplayer is great in this one. It's a shame no one bought it.

Regiruler

Something shiggy said left a foul note with me, I'm going to investigate a hunch (hopefully whatever footage I find has a good enough shot for me to do the comparison I need).

blu

Something shiggy said left a foul note with me, I'm going to investigate a hunch (hopefully whatever footage I find has a good enough shot for me to do the comparison I need).
What was that? Can other gaffers be of assistance?

blu

There was major complaints about boss length prior to announcing the delay, I'm curious if there's any evidence of rebalancing.
Hmm. I don't think I've seen any extensive video footage before the treehouse one.

ed: +7 mod gone, just like that. On Uplink where I was not supposed to die on my N-th solo. Cruel world.

Does anyone know if this game has the multiplayer region locked? My friend is on jp and mines from the US. I we can play smash together but only online for Mario Kart

blu

Does anyone know if this game has the multiplayer region locked? My friend is on jp and mines from the US. I we can play smash together but only online for Mario Kart
Multi is not region locked. I play with JP players each time I go online.

TheMoon

Already answered above but it's literally one of the first things mentioned in the OP.

Already answered above but it's literally one of the first things mentioned in the OP.

I know i read that, but didnt know if that was specific to online. Ive had a few nintendo made 3DS games that local play was region locked like Mario Kart. Bought and it works locally. Thanks!

TheMoon

I know i read that, but didnt know if that was specific to online. Ive had a few nintendo made 3DS games that local play was region locked like Mario Kart. Bought and it works locally. Thanks!

I'm not aware of any games where there's a discrepancy between online and local regarding regions.

TheMoon

Just finished the game with two buddies (played the finale solo but we'll try together later).

Holy shit am I mad at all the idiots ragging on this game (press and average joes) for being wrong as fuck. No two missions are the same, everyone has something valuable to do, performs incredibly well.

Fed Force 2 on Switch please, thanks.

The one thing that really is lacking in this game is the text communication UI. Tri Force Heroes is severely underrated in that regard. The emote buttons let you communicate incredibly well and they were super responsive in TFH. The text/voice shortcuts in MPFF take too long to cool down, are unwieldy to access and some are just useless while crucial ones are missing.

Just finished the game with two buddies (played the finale solo but we'll try together later).

Holy shit am I mad at all the idiots ragging on this game (press and average joes) for being wrong as fuck. No two missions are the same, everyone has something valuable to do, performs incredibly well.

The one thing that really is lacking in this game is the text communication UI. Tri Force Heroes is severely underrated in that regard. The emote buttons let you communicate incredibly well and they were super responsive. The text/voice shortcuts take too long to cool down, are unwieldy to access and some are just useless while crucial ones are missing.
It wouldn't matter if Federation Force were a 10/10, the game was never going to be popular. I agree though I thought it was an outstanding game that gets even better when playing with a group of friends. It manages to capture the feel of Metroid Prime while remaining focused on linear team based objectivies. I think it'll find some appreciation in a couple of years.

bumpkin

The one thing that really is lacking in this game is the text communication UI. Tri Force Heroes is severely underrated in that regard. The emote buttons let you communicate incredibly well and they were super responsive in TFH. The text/voice shortcuts in MPFF take too long to cool down, are unwieldy to access and some are just useless while crucial ones are missing.
I still haven't finished it. I haven't touched it in months. I think I'm at the last mission, too.

I enjoy playing it, but I feel like my experience playing online has been pretty hit or miss; mostly miss. Other players who don't seem to know what they're doing, almost no teamwork ever, the occasional AFK player holding up the mission.

TheMoon

I still haven't finished it. I haven't touched it in months. I think I'm at the last mission, too.

I enjoy playing it, but I feel like my experience playing online has been pretty hit or miss; mostly miss. Other players who don't seem to know what they're doing, almost no teamwork ever, the occasional AFK player holding up the mission.

Well, playing with randoms usually sucks. :/

Our fixed group of three once took on a random fourth one for the final boss and they left midway through. No idea if it was a disconnect on their end or if they thought we sucked (I felt we were doing okay).

So I got a copy of this ridiculously cheap last weekend. I decided I would go into it open minded and while it's not the Metroid game I wanted maybe there's a solid game here. First let me say when I do get an opportunity to play my 3DS 99.99999% of the time I'm nowhere near WiFi. Specially right now if I'm home I'm going to be playing BoTW (which I had been doing when I'd normally play the 3DS as well but gave this some time). So it's all lone wolf for me.

I've done about 12 - 13 missions now and I'm not sure I'm going to do any more. The fact that this doesn't scale enemies or boss' for single player is ridiculous. For me it's made the missions tedious chores, and most of they just haven't been fun to play. Them reminding me of Samus, doing this awesome stuff every couple of missions, is kind of just annoying me. It's reminding me Samus is off having some awesome adventure and I'm stuck playing as these federation guys.

I will give them the visuals are pretty good for a 3DS title. I just wish the game itself was fun for me in single player, but this seems like a title that was made with only multiplayer in mind.

It makes me have too many bad memories of Triforce Heroes, another title that was just no fun in single player.

Regiruler

So I got a copy of this ridiculously cheap last weekend. I decided I would go into it open minded and while it's not the Metroid game I wanted maybe there's a solid game here. First let me say when I do get an opportunity to play my 3DS 99.99999% of the time I'm nowhere near WiFi. Specially right now if I'm home I'm going to be playing BoTW (which I had been doing when I'd normally play the 3DS as well but gave this some time). So it's all lone wolf for me.

I've done about 12 - 13 missions now and I'm not sure I'm going to do any more. The fact that this doesn't scale enemies or boss' for single player is ridiculous. For me it's made the missions tedious chores, and most of they just haven't been fun to play. Them reminding me of Samus, doing this awesome stuff every couple of missions, is kind of just annoying me. It's reminding me Samus is off having some awesome adventure and I'm stuck playing as these federation guys.

I will give them the visuals are pretty good for a 3DS title. I just wish the game itself was fun for me in single player, but this seems like a title that was made with only multiplayer in mind.

It makes me have too many bad memories of Triforce Heroes, another title that was just no fun in single player.
Did you get the dynamo mod? It's another unbreakable, Hidden under doing the challenge run in blast ball once. It doubles your damage as long as you're at full health.

You need to also use the subweapons that are given to you. Most enemies have a crippling weakness to a particular sub (and freeze is really good, period). To me, learning what sub to use when was part of the arcadey feel of the game that I liked.

For single player specifically, the game does a bad job of telling you that the drones have some really useful mission-specific functions, namely carrying the objective for you in the phantom mission and speeding up the car in the train one.

Since you mentioned BotW, having played both I'll say that I actually prefer how elemental effects are dealt with here. Your elemental arrows either one shot an ice/fire enemy or do a little extra damage, with not enough middle ground. By comparison, the elemental shots in FF feel considerably more powerful, akin to the second level rods, but don't give you a one-shot kill (you're given extra damage and a point bonus).

Yeah I get the elemental stuff. Am I missing where I can load up on that stuff before a mission? I feel like I go into every mission with nothing and am left with just what I can find. Also how do I get my drones to use the shit they're carrying or do anything other than fire a blue laser?

I am using the lone wolf mod.

Regiruler

Yeah I get the elemental stuff. Am I missing where I can load up on that stuff before a mission? I feel like I go into every mission with nothing and am left with just what I can find. Also how do I get my drones to use the shit they're carrying or do anything other than fire a blue laser?
Drones are automatic, you can't command them to hold a charge.
You should be given more stuff than you can carry to choose from at any mission past the first one. I can't remember when you get the next weight upgrade, but you're pretty much golden once you have the second upgrade.

I do believe the weight upgrades are tied to the bosses, so that's mission 14 for the next one. It should be noted Tremor is a big difficulty spike: if you need help beating it, I can come on for the next few hours or so.

Shiggy

Why am I playing this now instead of Metroid: Samus Returns? The single player is pretty bad, but playing online with others makes it a decent game (if you ignore the scoring system). I imagine that the game could be real fun if played locally with people you could communicate with...

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Why am I playing this now instead of Metroid: Samus Returns? The single player is pretty bad, but playing online with others makes it a decent game (if you ignore the scoring system). I imagine that the game could be real fun if played locally with people you could communicate with...

The game is legit fun.

blu

The game is real fun if played with people who actually cooperate to the mission objectives.

Regiruler

I'm on practically third world WiFi for the semester, so any offering I would normally give to be a +1 I have to rescind.

TheMoon

The game is real fun if played with people who actually cooperate to the mission objectives.

I played with internet buddies from different countries using the occasional text chat via computer to yell at one another. It worked great and was a lot of fun. Replaying missions solo was also pretty cool.

Shiggy

Should I get this game?

If you don't mind playing with random people with whom you cannot communicate or if you know people to play with locally, it's worth the 10€ it's going for now. If you want to play it on your own, then it's not imo.

The online community is not very active though. With online communication and better controls (and no ties to the Metroid Franchise), this game could've been received much better.

Regiruler

I think it would have just been forgotten without the Metroid property, but NLG has a good record so who knows.

Mission 17 is a good enough use of it; you can't replace actual metroids.

I would have liked the amiibo outfits to not have been absurdly gamebreaking. Just reading what the metroid amiibo gives you (5 repair capsules per pickup dear god) made my eyes roll back into my skull. The ZSS one isn't good if only that you need it in order for the slow beam to be useful in the first place, as it's way too short otherwise.

Shiggy

as I outlined above, text communication with online people you know is also very much viable.

Not really, a game like this benefits a lot from active communication. Basic text communication isn't really comparable to that, especially as you can't keep typing while you're playing.

TheMoon

Not really, a game like this benefits a lot from active communication. Basic text communication isn't really comparable to that.

You can't tell me the way I played it with others wasn't working because it did. Which is all I'm saying. Voice isn't necessary, you can do it with text chat too and get through it. :)

Shiggy

You can't tell me the way I played it with others wasn't working because it did. Which is all I'm saying. Voice isn't necessary, you can do it with text chat too and get through it. :)

Just saying it's not much fun that way. As a Nintendo gamer one may not be used to active communication in online games, but this game would've certainly benefitted from it. Especially as the in-game text chat also is useless.

You may enjoy typing while playing, I don't think many do. But that's not even an option here anyway. And if you need to resort to other means of communication, voice chat would certainly make it better than typing.

Given the current Switch online options/features, I'm not too sad that this game is unlikely to get a sequel.

TheMoon

Just saying it's not much fun that way. As a Nintendo gamer one may not be used to active communication in online games, but this game would've certainly benefitted from it. Especially as the in-game text chat also is useless.

You may enjoy typing while playing, I don't think many do. But that's not even an option here anyway. And if you need to resort to other means of communication, voice chat would certainly make it better than typing.

Sure, we're not debating that though. Of course having an option for voice would have been better. Just saying it works and all three of us had a blast. Didn't even need to communicate much aside from post mission and pre mission yell-athons and the occasional "wtf are u doin" mid-mission.

Shiggy

Sure, we're not debating that though. Of course having an option for voice would have been better. Just saying it works and all three of us had a blast. Didn't even need to communicate much aside from post mission and pre mission yell-athons and the occasional "wtf are u doin" mid-mission.

I was just on mission 8 and we had to extract 6 pods. Each team member had to shoot a target on each of the pods. One team member didn't understand that, and so the mission was impossible to accomplish as there was no way to tell him that only he can shoot the targets that resemble his character colour.

I then finished that mission in singleplayer, even though I prefer having some backup support.

TheMoon

I was just on mission 8 and we had to extract 6 pods. Each team member had to shoot a target on each of the pods. One team member didn't understand that, and so the mission was impossible to accomplish as there was no way to tell him that only he can shoot the targets that resemble his character colour.

I then finished that mission in singleplayer, even though I prefer having some backup support.

So you're describing a scenario with randos?

Shiggy

So you're describing a scenario with randos?

Yes, which goes on to show how the lack of communication options in a co-op game like this is a pretty bad decision.

And that's the sad thing. Even if it was a Switch game, it would still be plagued by the same issue.

TheMoon

Yes, which goes on to show how the lack of communication options in a co-op game like this is a pretty bad decision.

And that's the sad thing. Even if it was a Switch game, it would still be plagued by the same issue.

Well yes but we weren't talking about that at all, were we? :D

Shiggy

Well yes but we weren't talking about that at all, were we? :D

You kept bringing it up, and my replies to you were written with that in mind. My last reply was just to point out how communication is necessary at times, as you implied it's not really needed: "Didn't even need to communicate much aside from post mission and pre mission yell-athons and the occasional "wtf are u doin" mid-mission."

And this makes me feel kinda sad for the developers. They have a decent game at hand, but online co-op plus Nintendo as a publisher lead to obvious limitations that can only result in a botched experience.

Toxi

Banned
The thing that bugs me about Nintendo and voice chat is that Metroid Prime Hunters had voice chat. The decision to remove voice chat, or, in the case of the Switch, make it as inconvenient as possible, feels like a regression. Yes, we can rely on third party voice chat, but that's obviously not as convenient as just having the game include voice chat.

It's especially annoying in a co-op game where voice chat even with randoms would be a huge help.

Top Bottom