• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy WiiU |OT| - Samus it Ever Was. Now with Ridleyculous low price!

The graphics suck. The sound is flat. And the Wii-mote is about #38 on my list of desired control devices. But god damn this game feels good. Solid game design never ages.

Glad I decided to play these.

Prototype

My playthrough of the trilogy is on indefinite hiatus due to MH4U. I'm just glad I got thru Prime 1 and 2, as I had already played and beaten 3.

Roo

The graphics suck. The sound is flat. And the Wii-mote is about #38 on my list of desired control devices. But god damn this game feels good. Solid game design never ages.

ijeqEj6wXLxOK.gif

Azure J

Browsing through this thread and seeing this:

And again, The Sanctuary Fortress is just amazing. The Spider Ball tracks are so damn fun, like this one.
dolphin2013-01-0414-52gaz9.png

Gave me a goddamned nostalgia shoryuken. I think I'm going to whip out the disc later today or tomorrow. Sanctuary man. <3

The fuck is Uurtagia?

I actually only found out that Pirate Homeworld had a name browsing a Metroid wiki earlier this month. It was such a huge mindblown moment, especially after realizing that an enemy should have given the name away even without the added research.
Urtragian Shriekbat = Shriekbat from Urtragus

Gotta say that Corruption is definitely the weakest of the Trilogy. It feels like a lot of things that they really nailed in Echoes were needless changed for Corruption - the logbook was amazing in Echoes with the basic summary and the extended version in the logbook alongside the 3D model to look at, but in Corruption they oversimplified the summary and nixed the model, putting it in its own screen for whatever reason. For the first time in the series, scanning feels tedious in Corruption. It doesn't feel like I'm getting interesting lore, it feels like I'm not getting anything interesting for most scans
with a notable exception being the Metroid room in the Space Pirate Homeworld

Plus it has the weakest set of items out of the three games - though the grapple upgrades are cool - and the non-boss soundtrack is really weak. Even being chatted at by a computer wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to reach aaaalllll the way down to 1 to go forward in text, if it didn't MAKE me view my map afterwards, and if it didn't lock me out of scanning when she was talking.

Also I reaaaaaally don't like the Hypermode mechanic, especially at it comes at the expense of the beam switching mechanic. And it would be nice if not every enemy was based on Phazon.

The lore and logbook nerfs hurt so much. I remember a much saltier younger me thinking it was done since there were going to be a lot of newcomers to the Prime series on the waves of people who had just gotten Wii and casuals didn't like extended reads. :lol

dLMN8R

At work.

Want to play Prime.

Only want to play Prime in my life.

Carefully avoiding Prime 3 spoilers like equipment and progression since I've never played it before.

.....desperately want to leave work early!

Cyd0nia

Banned
I must have played MP3 a million times but I didn't try any of the secret gunship codes before today

3-6-4-8 is the best

Enter that in to the gunship console that's above the ships um.. windscreen. Counting the buttons from the left

Kaiser_Glider

Neo Member
I must have played MP3 a million times but I didn't try any of the secret gunship codes before today

3-6-4-8 is the best

Enter that in to the gunship console that's above the ships um.. windscreen. Counting the buttons from the left

That's my favorite as well.
The acoustic theme sounds so good! <3

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
It's amazing actually. There is probably what... A total ten minutes of cutscenes throughout a 15-20 hour game? Most of the cinematics happen during gameplay. And it's not in the way that Valve does it either, where you can move around while story elements happen but can't actually progress in any way during that time.

For example, in the beginning of the game, after the pirates attack, you are making your way to your ship. You end up having to tunnel through a morph ball passage. Above the tunnel you are making your way through, you see the Hunters doing battle with the Space Pirates. Later, on Norion, you are making your way to a generator, only to see Ridley fly by and a trooper yell "What the hell is that!?"

It doesn't take control away from you, it only lasts a few seconds, but these moments make strong impressions on you, and often foreshadow what is to come. Two of the best moments happened on Elysia, with the ship status updates. At first you are like "hmmm." After a few more times you begin to realize what's happening. And then you can see what's going down through the window and you are like oh hellllll no. And then you proceed to walk down a long hallway while you prepare for your battle with Ghor. And the other moment is when you walk into the Xenoresearch area and you see the Metroids in their holding cells and you're just like "Oh, fuck!" You spend the next couple minutes just walking past a shit load of them knowing all hell is going to break loose. Cue the power failure, lights go out, creepy music starts. Again, control is never taken away from you yet the game is able to convey these strong story points to you and in a very short period of time, yet still manages to feel (forgive the cliches) epic and cinematic.

I was very happy with the shakeup of the different elements in Corruption, and how "cinematic" it was was a big part of it. Of course Retro would go onto implement similar cinematic and story elements into their DKCR games without the use of cutscenes and without taking away player control. If only more developers would use this approach I would be very happy.

Well, it was made on slightly stronger hardware. It also helps that it has the best art direction in the series, and even of all time.
You summed up why I love MP3 so much

Verger

Banned
^^^Kudos indeed. That summed up why I love Corruption as well. Probably the only knock I have against it is what others have noted in that there seemed to be (it's been a while since I played) less things to Scan for World Lore than there were in Prime and Echoes. By that I mean, while there are lots of "Logbook" entries, there didn't seem to be as many non-logged entries around the world.

Anyway, I finally beat Quadraxis last night and got the Light Suit. Now those are two super Epic moments in gaming if there ever were ones. It cannot be said just how amazing a Boss Fight Quadraxis is.
Z0YpOln.jpg

And has Godly music
It just keeps on going and going but it doesn't feel like it's overlong and it is a challenge, I really almost died as was down to like 42 health, but somehow managed to come back, with a massive assortment of attacks it sends your way. What is even more special is how Retro took the Zelda formula of making sure to utilize all or most of the weapons and upgrades Samus got to beat it like the Boost Ball, Spider Ball and Echo Visor. And when you're finally done you really feel like you've accomplished something.

And then you get the Light Suit, and man, that thing just looks so badass, almost makes up for having to wear the Dark Suit most of the game. And of course it is thanks to this that I can finally begin the long "Treasure Hunt", not just for the Keys, but also for all the Items I need to get 100%.
jP8DdDU.png

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm having a hell of a time finding the third Agon Wastes key in Echoes. The one in Trial Tunnels. Anyone want to nudge me in the right direction? I don't want to look at a guide and have them totally spell it out for me, lol.

GWX

Late game Metroid Prime spoilers ahead.

Almost lost my shit fighting Omega Pirate. At first I had trouble taking down the weak spots: I tried super missiles, until I ran out and then died out of frustration; tried wave beam charged shots, since they follow the target, without success; finally tried charged plasma beam shots, to moderate success - it feels like 90% of my perfectly placed shots didn't register. Then, I focused on cleaning the fucking pirates floor instead of using the X-Ray Visor to track down the Omega Pirate, which made me feel like a fucking dumbass later on. Finally, I got him good on my fifth try. My hands hurt for a while after all that, goddamn.

Then I go to the fucking internet to discover that freaking power bombs take all 4 of his weak points down in one explosion. So much frustration, so much dumbness =(

I'm really enjoyed the ride. I played it back in the day until the artefact collecting started, and I didn't really remember most of it. Can't wait for Echoes, that Sanctuary Fortress shot in the beginning of the page hyped me (even if I did feel spoiled by it)!

I'm having a hell of a time finding the third Agon Wastes key in Echoes. The one in Trial Tunnels. Anyone want to nudge me in the right direction? I don't want to look at a guide and have them totally spell it out for me, lol.

Um...That should've been the first Key. There's no trick or power up needed to get it. It's in a closet of a room.

You'll have a short trip to the boss from where you find it, I guess? I can't...think of a better way to put it.

I'm nearing the end of Echoes.

I was going for 100% but then found out that since
I put one of the Sky Temple keys in place before scanning all of them I missed out on a scan.

It kind of agitated me. Not really a big deal but I had gone out of my way to scan everything and then that happened. Oh well. :/

Just felt like sharing that. :p

I just stated playing prime for the first time and noticed that the sound is very muffled, is it just low quality or can I change some setting for it? Everything sounds fine in both the wii u menu and the wii menu, only goes to shit when I launch the game.

Cyd0nia

Banned

Then I go to the fucking internet to discover that freaking power bombs take all 4 of his weak points down in one explosion. So much frustration, so much dumbness =(

I'm really enjoyed the ride. I played it back in the day until the artefact collecting started, and I didn't really remember most of it. Can't wait for Echoes, that Sanctuary Fortress shot in the beginning of the page hyped me (even if I did feel spoiled by it)!

I've never had trouble beating omega pirate but damn I didn't know power bombs did that!

Just beaten prime 1 with 87% - not sure what I'm missing, but I'm definitely missing one energy tank. The rest must be power bomb and missile expansions.

I found Meta Ridley much easier than I did when I last played this. Prime's second form got me down to my last couple of tanks (because I'd forgotten I could just stand in the phazon and one shot the steroids). Not sure I'm going to play Echoes straight away - I played it a while back.

I think I'm ready for new Nintendo news :( bring on mario kart DLC2, bring on e3, bring on more metroid

Mr. Sam

I searched "Thardus" in the this thread, expecting it to be full of tales of threadbare survival and epic battles with finicky controls. There was one post that was sort of to that effect. And now this one.

Oh my God, that was a pain. The motion controls have some advantages over the Gamecube originals but it being easier to switch visors and fire super missiles isn't one of them, and those are the two keys to beating Thardus. My wrist hurts. I nearly got taken out by the flying robots/flying space pirates the game throws at you immediately afterwards. The first time the game has genuinely irritated me.

Christine

I've never had trouble beating omega pirate but damn I didn't know power bombs did that!

If you can land a power bomb on him in his cloaked / recharging form it'll kill him in one hit, at least on normal / veteran. It's tricky though because you have to stand up and get into the xray visor before the explosion finishes animating, I never had the patience to pull it off. It's not really easier to kill him this way but the fight can be over in like 25 seconds.

I don't know about you guys, but Metroid Prime has spoiled me. I can't play any other game now without wanting to stop and scan every interesting object and enemy I come across. I even fired up Super Metroid on the Virtual Console a few days ago and found myself instinctively hunting for the "scan" feature every time I encountered an enemy that I was unfamiliar with and wanted to know more about.

Converse

Banned
I just stated playing prime for the first time and noticed that the sound is very muffled, is it just low quality or can I change some setting for it? Everything sounds fine in both the wii u menu and the wii menu, only goes to shit when I launch the game.

I have noticed that Wii Mode is quieter, not necessarily muffled. I'm using a 5.1 system, and I always have to turn it up quite a bit more for Wii games than Wii U games.

Marcus

i really have to applaud Retro for the hint system in Echoes. it seems to tell me where i need to go as soon as i get stuck.

Converse

Banned
i really have to applaud Retro for the hint system in Echoes. it seems to tell me where i need to go as soon as i get stuck.

Yeah, I may get shamed for saying this, but I'm enjoying the hint system. I beat all three Prime games upon original release, and haven't revisited them since. I really just want to experience the locales, music and lore again. I never owned the Trilogy edition, and I have to say that playing on "Normal" and kicking on the hint system if I get stuck has made the whole thing a really stress-free experience. I can sit down and know that I'm going to progress and see the next wonderful thing that the game offers.

Verger

Banned
I don't know about you guys, but Metroid Prime has spoiled me. I can't play any other game now without wanting to stop and scan every interesting object and enemy I come across. I even fired up Super Metroid on the Virtual Console a few days ago and found myself instinctively hunting for the "scan" feature every time I encountered an enemy that I was unfamiliar with and wanted to know more about.
Yep, it is a game mechanic that unfortunately has not been utilized by most other developers and is really sad because I personally feel something like this is so useful for adding immersion to the game.

Hell, imagine how much better something like The Order 1886 might have been if they had adopted this sort of system of storytelling in terms of examining objects and in-game assets to learn their history, rather than rely upon overlong cutscenes. (although the game would still need apparently a lot of overhauling in other areas)

It's something that should be there to complement the reliance upon "HD Graphics" nowadays, but sadly few developers either think about doing it or they are forced to cut such content due to budget constraints because their "metrics" don't support such gameplay as good indicators of profit :p

Verger

Banned
Hmm, the Echoes Key Hunt isn't at all as bad as I thought I remembered it to be. I mean hell, they give you so many hints as to what needs to be done, from the clues at the Sky Temple transporter to having no doubt come across any of the Cadre personal during your journey's around Aether.

And if you're an OCD completionist, well, there's no chance you'd miss the keys when you're traveling through Dark Aether searching for items.

Oh, Annihilator Beam on a crystal or beacon works wonders for quickly clearing out rooms of the Ing. :)

Christine

I have noticed that Wii Mode is quieter, not necessarily muffled. I'm using a 5.1 system, and I always have to turn it up quite a bit more for Wii games than Wii U games.

Actual Wii hardware has ridiculously loud audio output, so most of its games are mixed pretty soft to compensate.

Christine

Anyway, I finally beat Quadraxis last night and got the Light Suit. Now those are two super Epic moments in gaming if there ever were ones. It cannot be said just how amazing a Boss Fight Quadraxis is.
Z0YpOln.jpg

It just keeps on going and going but it doesn't feel like it's overlong and it is a challenge, I really almost died as was down to like 42 health, but somehow managed to come back, with a massive assortment of attacks it sends your way. What is even more special is how Retro took the Zelda formula of making sure to utilize all or most of the weapons and upgrades Samus got to beat it like the Boost Ball, Spider Ball and Echo Visor. And when you're finally done you really feel like you've accomplished something.

Shit yes. Remember that the game came out the year before Shadow of the Colossus. in 2004 Quadraxis was unspeakably ambitious.

I'm in a motel 6 with the TV that time forgot, so I can't hook up the Wii U. Doesn't matter, I'm gonna go kill his ass on the tablet display. Good night and good luck.

Almost lost my shit fighting Omega Pirate. At first I had trouble taking down the weak spots: I tried super missiles, until I ran out and then died out of frustration; tried wave beam charged shots, since they follow the target, without success; finally tried charged plasma beam shots, to moderate success - it feels like 90% of my perfectly placed shots didn't register. Then, I focused on cleaning the fucking pirates floor instead of using the X-Ray Visor to track down the Omega Pirate, which made me feel like a fucking dumbass later on. Finally, I got him good on my fifth try. My hands hurt for a while after all that, goddamn. =(

Then I go to the fucking internet to discover that freaking power bombs take all 4 of his weak points down in one explosion. So much frustration, so much dumbness

What??? Are you sure? I'm right at that part and I've repeatedly tried power bombing him to hell and back and while I can see them damaging him for sure its a far cry from the one power bomb weak point take down you say you read about. Maybe it's because I'm playing in hard mode? I'm having a really hard time with this boss :(

Christine

What??? Are you sure? I'm right at that part and I've repeatedly tried power bombing him to hell and back and while I can see them damaging him for sure its a far cry from the one power bomb weak point take down you say you read about. Maybe it's because I'm playing in hard mode? I'm having a really hard time with this boss :(

use uncharged plasma shots on his shield nodes, at least at first. that way you'll have plenty of super missiles later in the fight.

Another thing that helps is that he'll never go to the phazon pool you're closest to. So stand near one of the pools where you can look at the other two in order to spot him fast. You can get in up to 4 super missiles per recharge cycle if you're fast. This will kill him on normal and do 50% damage on hard

GWX

I haven't tried it myself, I saw it on YT. This is the video I saw, in which he takes down the weak spots with missiles at first, but when he comes back from restoring his phazon plates, he use a power bomb and he's instantly down.

use uncharged plasma shots on his shield nodes, at least at first. that way you'll have plenty of super missiles later in the fight.

Another thing that helps is that he'll never go to the phazon pool you're closest to. So stand near one of the pools where you can look at the other two in order to spot him fast. You can get in up to 4 super missiles per recharge cycle if you're fast. This will kill him on normal and do 50% damage on hard
Four super missiles per charge cycle? I'm lucky to connect 2 before he stops recharging!

Did you go after the minions first or ignore them until the Pirate stops? I find the latter really hard because they hurt me a LOT if I ignore them and go straight for the boss

GWX

For super missiles per charge cycle? I'm lucky to connect 2 before he stops recharging!

Did you go after the minions first or ignore them until the Pirate stops? I find the latter really hard because they hurt me a LOT if I ignore them and go straight for the boss

Focus on one of the troopers until Omega roars, and then super-missile away at the boss. After he returns, one or two Omega's shock waves (the ground pound attack) will kill every trooper on the ground. This strategy is what I used when I beat him on my fifth try :lol, except I only used plasma beam to take off his phazon plates instead of missiles/power bombs.

Focus on one of the troopers until Omega roars, and then super-missile away at the boss. After he returns, one or two Omega's shock waves (the ground pound attack) will kill every trooper on the ground. This strategy is what I used when I beat him on my fifth try :lol, except I only used plasma beam to take off his phazon plates instead of missiles/power bombs.
I'll try that. He kicked my ass three times before I called it a day.

We're you playing it in hard too?

Easy_D

never left the stone age

This is one of the weirdest posts ever because I thought you were just gonna pan the game. Then I read the last sentence :lol. Glad you're having fun at least.

Yes, hard, which is equivalent to the original's normal difficulty level. Hypermode is the new hard, and it's not unlocked from the start =/
I'm playing it on the Gamecube, my friend. GC's original hard. Is that the equivalent to Wii version's Hyper?

GWX

I'm playing it on the Gamecube, my friend. GC's original hard. Is that the equivalent to Wii version's Hyper?

Oh, didn't know that! Assumed it was the Wii one because of the thread. There are some GC versions of the game which don't allow the Omega Pirate to be damaged by power bombs, apparently. You may want to look for GC-specific strategies, I guess. And yup, GC's hard is Wii's Hypermode.

Oh, didn't know that! Assumed it was the Wii one because of the thread. There are some GC versions of the game which don't allow the Omega Pirate to be damaged by power bombs, apparently. You may want to look for GC-specific strategies, I guess. And yup, GC's hard is Wii's Hypermode.
What? I've never heard about something like that! So later prints of the GC version made a boss easier? Wtf!!!

My copy I'm pretty sure if from the first print since I got it weeks only after release. I hadn't player MP1 in a decade and all this talk about the WiiU rerelease of the Trilogy, the prospect of a new Retro made Metroid and discussing why Other M was so bad (this thread helped too) I had to replay MP1. This is my first play through in almost 10 years and the first I do on hard.

steveovig

Continued playing MP2 today after a quick beating of Zero Mission. The last boss I beat was the
Spider Guardian
and he was total ass. Having to swing the remote to jump is what made this really hard. I never got to him on the GCN version but I imagine it had to be easier with button press jumping.

Continued playing MP2 today after a quick beating of Zero Mission. The last boss I beat was the
Spider Guardian
and he was total ass. Having to swing the remote to jump is what made this really hard. I never got to him on the GCN version but I imagine it had to be easier with button press jumping.

You couldn't jump at all in the Gamecube version, lol. You could only bomb jump. So it was even harder.

One of my biggest complaints with Corruptions is how all the weapons feel pointless next to hypermode. Plasma Beam? Nova Beam? Nah breh, just pop an energy tank and waste everything instead.

But you can
one hit kill some enemies, including a couple mini-bosses, with the Nova Beam + X-ray visor!

Also the Plasma and Nova beams sound awesome, even if they aren't as useful as hypermode.

The sound in Corruption is a big step up in general. Even the power beam has some oomph behind it.

The Nova Beam might be my favorite weapon in the series. The single shot might be my favorite sound effect as well, along with the thermal visor from Prime 1. The sound design is indeed absolutely stellar throughout the series.

You summed up why I love MP3 so much

^^^Kudos indeed. That summed up why I love Corruption as well. Probably the only knock I have against it is what others have noted in that there seemed to be (it's been a while since I played) less things to Scan for World Lore than there were in Prime and Echoes. By that I mean, while there are lots of "Logbook" entries, there didn't seem to be as many non-logged entries around the world.

Thanks. I always felt that it is a special game and easily as good as Prime or Echoes. All three are distinct and great in their own way.

Spider Guardian

There was no button press jumping on the Morph Ball. The only way to "jump" in Prime 1 and 2 was with bombs. The Spring Ball was introduced in Corruption and was always tied to flicking the remote. The ability to use the Spring Ball in the Prime Trilogy made
Spider Guardian
much easier.

ivysaur12

Banned
I have to say -- I'm enjoying Corruption a lot less than I remember. Maybe it's because I never beat Echoes before (got stuck at the Boost Guardian and then said fuck it all), but it really seemed to nerf a lot of the aspects of Echoes I loved.

I hate that the
Aurora Units just tell you where to go. Is there a way to turn this off?
And the sense of being on a "world" feels a bit lost given the structure of the game. Being on Elysia finally changes that, but the
quest to get the bombs
is a bit aggravating.

There were some changes I loved (I really think the game feels a lot more epic than Prime 1 or Echoes), but there's a lot about it that I'm just so indifferent on. And the
Command Visor
feels severely underutilized.

If I recall, I think I liked the game a lot most past where I am now
putting together the bomb
, but everything on Bryyo was sort of meh.

Top Bottom