• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy WiiU |OT| - Samus it Ever Was. Now with Ridleyculous low price!

dLMN8R

OH GOD DAMN IT

When I was fighting the Alpha Blogg he got fucking stuck in a wall and nothing would dislodge him! The only way out was to kill myself.

AND I DIDN'T SAVE FOR AN HOUR!!!! GRAHHH!!

OH GOD DAMN IT

When I was fighting the Alpha Blogg he got fucking stuck in a wall and nothing would dislodge him! The only way out was to kill myself.

AND I DIDN'T SAVE FOR AN HOUR!!!! GRAHHH!!

Wow. The Trilogy seems to have a few bugs/glitches that the originals didn't have. I'll stick to my originals.

Verger

Banned
That never happened to me. Though the Alpha Blogg is tied as the worst Boss in the series along with Chykka for me just because of how infuriating they are.

Verger

Banned
Yeah, I haven't had any bugs or glitches in my playthrough so far. And the loading times are so worth the digital copy.

dLMN8R

The original trilogy (meaning the individual games on Gamecube) were far buggier than anything I've seen in the Wii / WiiU release.

For example, the first game freezing pretty regularly when elevators were reaching the end of their path, especially in the Tallon Overworld.

I had panic-induced flashbacks every time I rode an elevator playing Prime 1 in the last few weeks :p

Croc

Banned
I've beaten Prime 1 and 2 and am now onto 3 and haven't run into any glitches at all. The only mildly annoying thing I've run into is the door loading times in 3 is way longer than in the first two and it's a bit annoying.

3 is also quite a difference in atmosphere from the first two. I know I only just finished the intro section where there's lots of talking with people so it may feel a bit different once I start exploring on my own. But as for now it just feels less like exploring these new mysterious planets and more like I'm just going through the motions to complete the next objective.

My opinion on 2 definitely improved with this last play through but I have a feeling my opinion on 3 is going to lower a bit. I'm sure I'll still enjoy it but I don't think it'll have the same charm as 1 and 2.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Really a shame they didn't release this as a remaster in 1080p.

Really would have made me consider buying a WiiU.

MP was the game I got with my GameCube, and I also bought the Trilogy for My Wii.

But for whatever reason never got more than a third of the way through the game.

Playing a 480p game on a 4K 65" TV is kind of a dissuading factor in trying to play through it again.

Though if they were to release this on WiiU at 1080p I cojld to see mysd going for it.

Yes. Resolution is important.

dLMN8R

Ok, finally beat that fucking Alpha Blogg.

On my thirdp try. UGH. What a stupid bitch.

And I forgot to scan it first. There goes my 100% scan!

Christine

The original trilogy (meaning the individual games on Gamecube) were far buggier than anything I've seen in the Wii / WiiU release.

For example, the first game freezing pretty regularly when elevators were reaching the end of the of path, especially in the Tallon Overworld.

I had panic-induced flashbacks every time I rode an elevator playing Prime 1 in the last few weeks :p

I never ran into the elevator freeze but I had the freeze that happens in West Furnace Access. It's basically the same bug with the streaming load system. Later iterations of GameCube hardware (including the Wii) corrected the issue, which was also fixed in software for the European and Player's choice releases.

Echoes has a few glitches that usually involve mobs getting stuck in the level geometry, which I am pretty forgiving of due to how complex and ambitious those systems were at the time. There are enemies that turn into puddles and glide along all surfaces, enemies made out of two mobs hooked together that break apart, etc. As you know, Alpha Blogg is supposed to get stuck in the wall, but only temporarily. There's also a small issue where occasionally the animation for a darkened light beacon won't work right and you won't be able to illuminate it until the beacon goes through its normal 20 second reset.

Corruption is not immune either. There's at least one spot where you can get your screw attack stuck in geometry and hang spinning indefinitely.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Um...That should've been the first Key. There's no trick or power up needed to get it. It's in a closet of a room.

You'll have a short trip to the boss from where you find it, I guess? I can't...think of a better way to put it.
Wait, really? Now I'm even more confused. I have two keys, and after turning on the hint system it's telling me to go to the Trial Tunnel. There's a doors that seems like it might open to up to a path that leads to that room, but I'm not sure. It's a normal blue door behind bars in the Duelling Range. I tried accessing it in both the dark and light world, and couldn't figure it out. Am I missing something?

Wait, really? Now I'm even more confused. I have two keys, and after turning on the hint system it's telling me to go to the Trial Tunnel. There's a doors that seems like it might open to up to a path that leads to that room, but I'm not sure. It's a normal blue door behind bars in the Duelling Range. I tried accessing it in both the dark and light world, and couldn't figure it out. Am I missing something?

Do you remember where you got your Morph Ball Bomb from? Look near there.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Do you remember where you got your Morph Ball Bomb from? Look near there.
Hmm, nope. I think I'm just gonna look up a walkthrough. I've been stuck here for three weeks, though I admittedly haven't played all that much over that time. Still getting bored, tho.

Yes, hard, which is equivalent to the original's normal difficulty level. Hypermode is the new hard, and it's not unlocked from the start =/

What? Dammit, no wonder Omega Pirate was so easy to beat. Apparently I was playing on baby mode. And here I thought I just got supremely good at the game.

Well now I know what to do going into Echoes.

Hmm, nope. I think I'm just gonna look up a walkthrough. I've been stuck here for three weeks, though I admittedly haven't played all that much over that time. Still getting bored, tho.

Trial Tunnel is directly to the left of Dark Agon Temple. Take the path to the left of the gate that you need the three Dark Agon Keys to access.

http://metroid.retropixel.net/games/mprime2/metroidprime2_map_dark_agon.jpg

The giant circle in the middle is where you want to go.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Trial Tunnel is directly to the left of Dark Agon Temple. Take the path to the left of the gate that you need the three Dark Agon Keys to access.

http://metroid.retropixel.net/games/mprime2/metroidprime2_map_dark_agon.jpg

The giant circle in the middle is where you want to go.
I don't know how to get to Dark Agon Temple, though. I'm using this guide, and it says to go to Dark Agon Temple, but I have no idea where that is. I'm assuming it's where the equivalent temple is in the Light world, but the dark version isn't on my map. And that guide also says I should have all three keys already, so... I must've missed something a long time ago, lol. I'll go to an earlier part of the guide and see if I can figure this out.

Edit : Oh shit, I think I figured it out. I didn't know red doors on the map could be opened with missles, lmao. I was ignoring them, thinking I need a new beam later on.

I don't know how to get to Dark Agon Temple, though. I'm using this guide, and it says to go to Dark Agon Temple, but I have no idea where that is. I'm assuming it's where the equivalent temple is in the Light world, but the dark version isn't on my map. And that guide also says I should have all three keys already, so... I must've missed something a long time ago, lol. I'll go to an earlier part of the guide and see if I can figure this out.

Keep in mind that all dark world rooms are mirror images of their light world counterparts, so they'll be in the same place (dark temple will be where the light temple would be, etc). In Agon, do note that there are portal machines to access the dark world: one in the pirate facility and one next to the first save room in the area. One of the reasons why Echoes is so challenging is that perhaps before finding the right door to go through, you might first have to use the correct portal to get to that door. Stick with it; you got this :)

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Keep in mind that all dark world rooms are mirror images of their light world counterparts, so they'll be in the same place (dark temple will be where the light temple would be, etc). In Agon, do note that there are portal machines to access the dark world: one in the pirate facility and one next to the first save room in the area. One of the reasons why Echoes is so challenging is that perhaps before finding the right door to go through, you might first have to use the correct portal to get to that door. Stick with it; you got this :)
Yup, I knew all that. My mistake was even stupider, haha. See my edit above.

I don't know if I should be surprised but based on ratings MPT passed Super Mario Galaxy 2 last week. I would assume based on chart position it did the same in sales compared to SMG 2. I would hope Nintendo takes notice of this and the Samus Amiibo sales.

ivysaur12

Banned
I totally forgot how amazing the
Gandraya
fight was. Especially since I couldn't find a save point beforehand?

I won with 2 energy left.

zma1013

Really a shame they didn't release this as a remaster in 1080p.

Really would have made me consider buying a WiiU.

MP was the game I got with my GameCube, and I also bought the Trilogy for My Wii.

But for whatever reason never got more than a third of the way through the game.

Playing a 480p game on a 4K 65" TV is kind of a dissuading factor in trying to play through it again.

Though if they were to release this on WiiU at 1080p I cojld to see mysd going for it.

Yes. Resolution is important.

For me, playing a lower resolution on an hdtv is jarring at first, but then i get used to it and start to see the game rather than the jaggies.

Kaiser_Glider

Neo Member
I totally forgot how amazing the
Gandraya
fight was. Especially since I couldn't find a save point beforehand?

I won with 2 energy left.

All the bounty hunters battles are great, my favorite being Rundas (that music!) but Gandrayda is pretty amazing, the acid rain elevates it to another level of epicness! :p

dLMN8R

So I know there are some great Metroid Prime speed runs all over including from Awesome Games Done Quick streams.

I love checking out sequence breaking and such after beating games, so anyone know of good videos showcasing this for Prime 2 and 3? Would love to see both Any% and 100%.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Echoes is smooth sailing now. I'm still not a fan of the dark / light world stuff. Feels really redundant. A lot of filler. Oh well, it's still fun.

blizzardsounds

Neo Member
Been playing Prime 1 for the past couple weeks and loving it. Tried on the GC and just couldn't get past the controls. Gave up shortly after entering Magmoor Caves.

This time around I just got the plasma gun and am returning to finish off the Phazon mines. Already have 8 or 9 artifacts, so not a lot of backtracking left.

Really enjoying things this time around. The game is already going to enter my top 10 of all time. Might need to take a break before digging into 2 and 3, but looking forward to them.

Croc

Banned
I'm a decent chunk into 3 by now. I'm really not enjoying it as much as the first two. It's still great, but coming off of those other two it just doesn't feel quite as high a level of perfection.

(mild Prime 3 spoilers)
I really don't like how disjointed everything in Prime 3 feels. I don't really like the large change in focus on weapons. It seems a lot of stuff was split into more power ups just to have things to collect. Like having the Grapple Swing be separate from the initial Grapple Beam you get. And also having ship missiles which about halfway through the game have been used once (and I've collected like 4 or 5 ship missile expansions I think). My other complaint is aside from the Hunters I've fought so far I really don't like the bosses. The first two planet bosses I thought were really fucking annoying.

Oh yeah I also think the enemy design is a huuuuge step down from the first two games. Everything in the first two was incredibly creative and memorable and I feel like everything in 3 is just like...dinosaurs and robots.

These are just small complaints but they're definitely making me not enjoy this as much as the first two. Before this replay I ranked the games 1 > 3 > 2 and after this run-through unless something in the last part of 3 changes my opinion it's going to be 1 = 2 > 3

Madao

So I know there are some great Metroid Prime speed runs all over including from Awesome Games Done Quick streams.

I love checking out sequence breaking and such after beating games, so anyone know of good videos showcasing this for Prime 2 and 3? Would love to see both Any% and 100%.

if you want to see a moderately broken run of mp2, go here.

if you want to see mp2 absolutely annihilated, go here

100% mp2 run

sadly, mp3 is not nearly as entertaining as mp1 or mp2 for speed runs because it is too linear and long. here's an any% run just to be complete.

You can use Ship Missiles in fights. If there isn't a roof, you can call in a bomb strike and kill pretty much every enemy in the area.

Still bad, but it's something.

Astral Dog

I'm a decent chunk into 3 by now. I'm really not enjoying it as much as the first two. It's still great, but coming off of those other two it just doesn't feel quite as high a level of perfection.

(mild Prime 3 spoilers)
I really don't like how disjointed everything in Prime 3 feels. I don't really like the large change in focus on weapons. It seems a lot of stuff was split into more power ups just to have things to collect. Like having the Grapple Swing be separate from the initial Grapple Beam you get. And also having ship missiles which about halfway through the game have been used once (and I've collected like 4 or 5 ship missile expansions I think). My other complaint is aside from the Hunters I've fought so far I really don't like the bosses. The first two planet bosses I thought were really fucking annoying.

Oh yeah I also think the enemy design is a huuuuge step down from the first two games. Everything in the first two was incredibly creative and memorable and I feel like everything in 3 is just like...dinosaurs and robots.

These are just small complaints but they're definitely making me not enjoy this as much as the first two. Before this replay I ranked the games 1 > 3 > 2 and after this run-through unless something in the last part of 3 changes my opinion it's going to be 1 = 2 > 3
You haven't seen the Dinosaur Robot yet ;)

steveovig

Got the
Power Bomb and Echo Visor
today in MP2. This is coming across like a longer game than the first MP but I'm still having fun. I did manage to find my Player's Guide for this and I'm hoping it'll help me snag some upgrades, particularly a certain e-tank in Agon Wastes. I've put in at least 60 hours into this $10 game and I haven't really played much of MP3 yet either.

Coming up to the end of MP1! Just need to collect a couple more artifacts and then some fighting I suspect. I don't remember collecting all these artifacts the first time I played Prime, so I'm guessing I probably never beat it.

Not sure if I'll jump right into Echos though. Might need a Metroid break, and what you guys have been saying about the difficulty scares me a bit.

This is one of the weirdest posts ever because I thought you were just gonna pan the game. Then I read the last sentence :lol. Glad you're having fun at least.

I was more speaking about the age of the game. The muddy 480p graphics and muffled sound. I have to turn my receiver up twice as loud just to hear the game. The design though is legendary.

Christine

When I was listing glitches earlier, I forgot to mention the camera bug in Torvus Plaza. I'd never seen it in any of my GameCube plays, so I tend to not remember it. Supposedly it is rarer to see happen on the Trilogy version but I finally ran into it. Really obnoxious, but I didn't let that stop me from getting the e tank. Supposedly there is a shortcut that lets you skip the problem section, but I just solved it blind.

Croc

Banned
I'm at the final boss of 3 now. The
Pirate Homeworld
was easily the best area in the game. I think the last half of the game is definitely superior to the first half and it did raise my opinion back up a bit. I'm still not feeling the weapon progression though. A lot of these weapons were seemingly just thrown in here as an obstacle to overcome and it makes it disappointing getting cool new upgrades only to realize you don't ever need to use it aside from one or two specific instances.

I've actually attempted the final boss twice and I'm really annoyed. First of all
getting rid of the energy tanks I spent the whole game looking for?! And not only that but having a constantly depleting health bar over 3 different boss fights that don't save progress in between.
It's like someone sat down and thought, "how can we make this final fight really annoying and tedious?" I don't even know if I want to bother trying to beat the final boss again.

Not sure if I'll jump right into Echos though. Might need a Metroid break, and what you guys have been saying about the difficulty scares me a bit.

Don't worry about it if you are worried about the difficulty. Not only did they nerf the difficulty of the tricky spots, they also added an easy mode ("normal") just like with the first Prime.

Kaiser_Glider

Neo Member
I

I've actually attempted the final boss twice and I'm really annoyed. First of all
getting rid of the energy tanks I spent the whole game looking for?! And not only that but having a constantly depleting health bar over 3 different boss fights that don't save progress in between.
It's like someone sat down and thought, "how can we make this final fight really annoying and tedious?" I don't even know if I want to bother trying to beat the final boss again.

That's odd, I never had any trouble with the depleting energy part of the final sequence. I constantly recharged my health by using the grapple on the enemies and that did the trick to be always at full.

The boss fight, well I thought it was a great final showdown though, it has some nice variety and that touch of epicness by facing off the stolen Aurora Unit, and of course the music is exhilarating too which helps. I really loved Corruption as a whole though, well I love the entire trilogy really. So maybe I'm a bit biased.

Verger

Banned
I definitely enjoyed the Final Boss fight of Corruption and it felt truly Epic.

First facing off against
Dark Samus
for one last amazing final dual and then taking on
Aurora 313, which might as well be the "Mother Brain" of Prime, considering it looks eerily similar to MB, with the eye laser even and the music, and the fact that destroying it destroys the planet (Hell I think it's an even better "MB" Clone than what we (didnt) get in Ohter M :p)

Still at the end of Echoes. I'm missing 2 missile packs and a power bomb. I think I know where the missiles are but need to figure out where the bomb is.

Croc

Banned
That's odd, I never had any trouble with the depleting energy part of the final sequence. I constantly recharged my health by using the grapple on the enemies and that did the trick to be always at full.

The boss fight, well I thought it was a great final showdown though, it has some nice variety and that touch of epicness by facing off the stolen Aurora Unit, and of course the music is exhilarating too which helps. I really loved Corruption as a whole though, well I love the entire trilogy really. So maybe I'm a bit biased.

I actually didn't know you could do that hahaha. That might make it a bit easier.

And don't get me wrong I actually really like all three of the segments (well, the first two more than the third) but just adding them all together with no breaks makes it really annoying.

But I guess knowing that tip now may make it much less so. I'll give it another try tomorrow!

Golnei

You can use Ship Missiles in fights. If there isn't a roof, you can call in a bomb strike and kill pretty much every enemy in the area.

Still bad, but it's something.

I had no idea that was even in the game. Even if it serves barely any purpose, you would have thought it'd be integrated into a tutorial prompt somewhere, or come up when you first get the chance to use them - unless that reminder was already obvious and I was just missing it completely.

Top Bottom