• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns (Mercury Steam, Metroid 2 reimagining, 9/15) announced for 3DS

KingBroly

Banned
Well that's not an issue. The beam and missile upgrades have always been more like firmware. The arm cannon apparently manufactures the missiles as they are fired like a 3D printer, which begs the question why there's ammo. In Other M she could restock her ammo if she concentrated enough. Alternatively you could assume the missiles and other things are stored in the same space the power suit goes to when she deactivates it.

She forms Missiles by absorbing the particles around her, transforming them into matter.

See? I came come up with bullshit, too.

She forms Missiles by absorbing the particles around her, transforming them into matter.

Quantum particles from dead creatures. The more a creature is dangerous, the more quantum energy it emits from the infinite realities where it actually kills Samus.

Nemesis_

of course, from those who played it. otherwise, why.

Well I played it and haven't mentioned it. I think a review of Samus Returns should be just that.

When more and more people play I think people will understand that both games are very different interpretations of the original.

I think we're incredibly lucky to have AM2R as well.

TheMoon

Well I played it and haven't mentioned it. I think a review of Samus Returns should be just that.

When more and more people play I think people will understand that both games are very different interpretations of the original.

I think we're incredibly lucky to have AM2R as well.

Didn't mean everyone of course, just some will definitely bring it up. At the very least to say that they are very different.

RagnarokX

No, that's basically just the same thing I said... and besides, the suit does it so why not missiles and bombs. My point was what does it matter that upgrades are basically firmware when it works the same way anyway. The whole idea was her suit was damaged and the federation was repairing/hacking its systems to restore functionality, which was a pretty smart way to handle it in a non-chozo environment.

Well that's not an issue. The beam and missile upgrades have always been more like firmware. The arm cannon apparently manufactures the missiles as they are fired like a 3D printer, which begs the question why there's ammo.

I just assumed they need a specific type of energy to form, ala the dark and light beams in prime 2, and missile upgrades let her store more through space magic.

That or every planet samus has ended up on has monsters with a questionable missile collecting fetish.

aadiboy

I think there's a real potential for Metroid V to have a great story. Fusion ends with Samus destroying the space station and all of GF's metroids on it, thus making her an enemy of the Galactic Federation. I think it would be cool if the Federation was secretly controlling the Adam AI to manipulate Samus in the next game. Throughout the game Adam changes from helpful to malevolent and starts to lead her into danger. Once Samus realizes this, she finds her resolve and finally lets Adam go.

D.Lo

Ah, that makes it clearer.

They should be compared but not in reviews. Comparisons to fan games has no business in a review.
Nintendo will likely cut them off if they compare their big new Metroid product to an IP infringement that isn't even on a Nintendo platform.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I don't really seek traditional narrative out of Metroid so much as solid world building and narrative context for where I am, what I'm doing, and why. The Prime trilogy (particularly 1 and 2) are exceptionally good at this, as is Super. It's why I really love the scanner from the Prime series, as it allows for investigative-like lore and world building that isn't always necessary to your specific objective but does a great job of extrapolating on the planet and its history.

And I kinda feel Metroid is best when it's doing that. When it's got this one major hook for where you are and what you're doing, and then world builds around that instead of aggressively pushing neatly constructed narrative beats. You can still have narrative revelations and events, but conveyed through context of discovering new locations, fighting new enemies, and revealing bosses.

The Prime series balanced both ends best, in my opinion. Less so Prime 3, but I still love that game.

crpav

I pre ordered the collectors edition from Target, a bit late, and was able to but now shows back ordered. I'm not going to get it am I?

rekameohs

Banned
Sakamoto is gonna be inspired by Prometheus next.

An origin type story!

(I've forgotten all about Prometheus. Maybe I'm getting the plot completely wrong. I didn't care for the film at all)
Prometheus is the one copying Metroid this time! The black goo is pretty much straight up just Phazon! /s

Previous

check out my new Swatch
Best Buy has shipped my Samus 3DS XL, wonder if it will arrive before Friday.

Too bad they didn't ship the actual game yet..

Just gonna leave this here:

So I went to YouTube to listen to the SR388 Surface remix again and found out the entire soundtrack was leaked. Only two things to say:

1. Spoilers ahoy. Preview the game's music at your own risk, although what I could gleam from the titles what they were..."implying" seemed really cool.

2. Goddamn at the quality all around. For anyone who thought the Ancient Chozo Ruins theme grated on the nerves, you have nothing to fear.

SR388

Samus Returns 3DS 88 Metacritic

It's like poetry.

T4BrSwO.gif

Just a couple more days and I get myself a sexy new Samus 3DS XL with the game and t-shirt.

I've never bought a limited edition Nintendo Console before so I'm really excited to get this.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Well reviews justified preorderinf the console, game, and Amiibo 2 pack. Also this year I have been reminded I am still a massive Nintendo fan even though I completely disregarded the Wii U lol.

I'm throwing this out there

If anyone missed out on the *new* Nintendo 3DS - Samus Edition - console and still wants one, I have a second order on Amazon I don't need and can change shipping to you. Will sell at cost which is estimated at $215.

Blues1990

I'm so lucky my copy arrived early this week. Never did I suspect we would get a solid re-imagining of the GB Metroid, never mind being a solid remake all-round.

GeekyDad

I'm throwing this out there

If anyone missed out on the *new* Nintendo 3DS - Samus Edition - console and still wants one, I have a second order on Amazon I don't need and can change shipping to you. Will sell at cost which is estimated at $215.

:'(

Wish I could take you up on the offer. Looks like such a sweet yet simple design, and I'm still playing on a launch system. But too rich for my blood right now.

*Harmlessly scrolls down Youtube without even thinking about Metroid
*Notices something with a Samus Returns picture on it
* Reads
Metroid: Samus Returns OST - VS Ridley Phase 3 Extended
* :|||||||||||||

Thanks for the Spoiler, Youtube.
I was pretty positive
Ridley wouldn't show up.
Would have been a surprise, otherwise.

Astral Dog

I don't really seek traditional narrative out of Metroid so much as solid world building and narrative context for where I am, what I'm doing, and why. The Prime trilogy (particularly 1 and 2) are exceptionally good at this, as is Super. It's why I really love the scanner from the Prime series, as it allows for investigative-like lore and world building that isn't always necessary to your specific objective but does a great job of extrapolating on the planet and its history.

And I kinda feel Metroid is best when it's doing that. When it's got this one major hook for where you are and what you're doing, and then world builds around that instead of aggressively pushing neatly constructed narrative beats. You can still have narrative revelations and events, but conveyed through context of discovering new locations, fighting new enemies, and revealing bosses.

The Prime series balanced both ends best, in my opinion. Less so Prime 3, but I still love that game.
Fusion and Zero MISSION did a good job at this too

Nelo Ice

Banned
Anyone who preordered off Amazon have their console and or game ship yet?. My orders say they're supposed to ship today and arrive Friday but I haven't seen any update to shipping soon or shipping today status. And even my Amiibo order from Best Buy hasn't shipped yet.

Cindro

Someone talk me off the ledge. I'm about to preorder the Samus 3DS despite already owning a regular-sized New 3DS and the LBW Zelda 3DS XL.

Also, Samus Returns is the only 3DS game yet to come out that I'm even remotely interested in, and those $200 would be much more wisely invested in a PS4 (I've never even owned a Sony system before!)

But, uh, something something something the Samus edition could be my archival legacy 3DS something something something might wanna play old games on a bigger New 3DS screen someday something something I can get $40 of credit for selling my old Zelda 3DS.

So I should totally do it, right?

Top Bottom