• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns (Mercury Steam, Metroid 2 reimagining, 9/15) announced for 3DS

Demoli

It's fine if ridley's done tbh.

Just in Mother Brain's Generals you still got Kraid, Phantoon and Draygon to use.

Hell you could use crocomire and people wouldn't complain. Or just use a new character altogether.

Feffe

Metroid series has a few problems with how to they are handling the storyline(s).

The Fandom would be happy with a random mysterious planet to explore, but both Sakamoto ad Tanabe are pushing towards a Federation-focused narrative.

Metroid isn't Mario or Zelda, two series which defacto soft-reboot everything every time, and has an on-going story arc, but at the same time they don't want to deal with the consequences how what happened in the the precious games. At least Sakamoto. I mean, he destroyed Zebes, the Metroids and Ridley and the for two consequetive entries he brought back Zebes, the Metroids and Ridley.

I hate reboot, but after a sequel of Fusion to nicely tie every loose ends I'd like the Metroid series to start anew. The current canon is a mess.

Opa-Pa

Yeah, I agree. Ecen me though I don't think Fusion is a dead end like other fans do, the current story makes it pretty hard to just throw us in random planets in each game, and honestly as genuinely interested as I am in the story, that's all I want.

I wouldn't mind some sort of reboot either.

rekameohs

Banned
Metroid series has a few problems with how to they are handling the storyline(s).

The Fandom would be happy with a random mysterious planet to explore, but both Sakamoto ad Tanabe are pushing towards a Federation-focused narrative.

Metroid isn't Mario or Zelda, two series which defacto soft-reboot everything every time, and has an on-going story arc, but at the same time they don't want to deal with the consequences how what happened in the the precious games. At least Sakamoto. I mean, he destroyed Zebes, the Metroids and Ridley and the for two consequetive entries he brought back Zebes, the Metroids and Ridley.

I hate reboot, but after a sequel of Fusion to nicely tie every loose ends I'd like the Metroid series to start anew. The current canon is a mess.
Sakamoto's got an interesting problem with world building, just look at all of his directed games:

Metroid: Zebes (a new planet!)
Super: Zebes again
Fusion: SR388 recreation
Zero Mission: Zebes remake
Other M: Zebes recreation
Samus Returns: SR388 remake

Whereas the non-Sakamoto games have:

Metroid 2: New planet
Prime: New planet
Prime 2: New planet
Prime 3: Four new planets
Hunters: Two new planets
Federation Force: Three new planets

I mean, there's a lot of original ideas in Sakamoto's games, but he seems chained down to those 30 year old planets. Something like Hunters' planets are obviously just copied from Prime, but at least there's some new lore for expanding the universe.

Nemesis_

I expect sites like Destructoid to mention it for sure.

Not fond of the idea, to be honest, it's getting tiring.

Man, tomorrow will be exciting... Looking forward to it!

I have also written a review for this game that goes live soon. I never mentioned AM2R, but wasn't sure if it was appropriate or not.

Feffe

Sakamoto's got an interesting problem with world building, just look at all of his directed games:

I mean, there's a lot of original ideas in Sakamoto's games, but he seems chained down to those 30 year old planets. Something like Hunters' planets are obviously just copied from Prime, but at least there's some new lore for expanding the universe.
Yeah, in Sakamoto's games the galaxy is pretty small and everything's about Zebes and SR388. The manga also takes place on Zebes which of course is Samus' home planet. And of course the random AI Samus meets on a random space station is Adam.

I'm honestly interested to see how Metroid V will be. I mean, he's not going to set it in another Zebes/Sr388 space station, right?

After that I'd rather have a reboot. Super was an amazing game but was narratively a dead end and you can't keep bringing back Metroids over and over again.

Cindro

Yo Metroid-GAF, I'm positively feeling the fever at this point.

I downloaded Super Metroid about a week ago.

Since then I have played through to completion:

Super Metroid
Zero Mission
Fusion

I'm so ready for Friday! What a glorious series 2D Metroid is.

And I wouldn't be opposed to someone adding the screw attack icon to the top left corner of my avatar, if anyone has the time/skills. I need to express that Metroid goodness form-wide!

D.Lo

Yeah, in Sakamoto's games the galaxy is pretty small and everything's about Zebes and SR388. The manga also takes place on Zebes which of course is Samus' home planet. And of course the random AI Samus meets on a random space station is Adam.
Lol yep. Metroid is like Star Wars! However there is a certain logic to it. The issue with all the Prime games story wise is that now the Chozo and their pals were on like 93 different planets. They're not exactly mysterious if they are everywhere.

That said, the Adam computer thing is kind of a broken lampshade, it was fine in Fusion by itself, but it looks super stupid now that the Bottle Ship mission was directly before the Fusion ship.

Yo Metroid-GAF, I'm positively feeling the fever at this point.

I downloaded Super Metroid about a week ago.

Since then I have played through to completion:

Super Metroid
Zero Mission
Fusion

What have you done.

Now you will be burnt out on the series

or you'll spend the entire time playing Samus Returns comparing it to the other entries

Astral Dog

Lol yep. Metroid is like Star Wars! However there is a certain logic to it. The issue with all the Prime games story wise is that now the Chozo and their pals were on like 93 different planets. They're not exactly mysterious if they are everywhere.

That said, the Adam computer thing is kind of a broken lampshade, it was fine in Fusion by itself, but it looks super stupid now that the Bottle Ship mission was directly before the Fusion ship.
Well she didn't expect to ever see Adam again thats why she gave him a thumbs up 👍

MoonFrog

Tbh, I wouldn't count the remakes. Maybe as part of the fuller picture they say something but it isn't odd to have remakes.

I also think Super makes a lot of sense as both Metroid III and a retread in prettier graphics of the original planet, reimagined.

It is when everything since then has been afterechoes of previously destroyed planets that I think there becomes a case to be made.

Still, idt Fusion environments were particularly like Metroid II environments or anything. It's more of a creative dependence on those same worlds.

Haven't played Other M. Is it more derivative than Fusion of the Zebes games?

Do think it is strange that he went from one space craft recreation to another, there being another level of retread there.

But, at the same time, look at something like Zelda. So many of those games take place in Hyrule. Different Hyrule with some shared and some disparate features. Idt the trend in Metroid is much different than that.

That said, Metroid has a level of narrative continuance that Zelda lacks and also takes place in outer space. So it it probably more notable that it is fixated on a small section of space.

rekameohs

Banned

What's funny is that Retro crafted a better "ancient ruins of a super-intelligent alien race" backstory for the Bryyonians than the Chozo have ever gotten. And that's just 1/3 of that game!

Tbh, I wouldn't count the remakes. Maybe as part of the fuller picture they say something but it isn't odd to have remakes.

I also think Super makes a lot of sense as both Metroid III and a retread in prettier graphics of the original planet, reimagined.

It is when everything since then has been afterechoes of previously destroyed planets that I think there becomes a case to be made.

Still, idt Fusion environments were particularly like Metroid II environments or anything. It's more of a creative dependence on those same worlds.

Haven't played Other M. Is it more derivative than Fusion of the Zebes games?

Do think it is strange that he went from one space craft recreation to another, there being another level of retread there.

But, at the same time, look at something like Zelda. So many of those games take place in Hyrule. Different Hyrule with some shared and some disparate features. Idt the trend in Metroid is much different than that.

That said, Metroid has a level of narrative continuance that Zelda lacks and also takes place in outer space. So it it probably more notable that it is fixated on a small section of space.
Again, I'm not talking about the originality of the environments. Yes, Fusion is very distinct from 2, Super is very distinct from 1, etc. I'm just saying that the story continuing to call them recreations of the same two planets keeps this universe very limited.

MoonFrog

What's funny is that Retro crafted a better "ancient ruins of a super-intelligent alien race" backstory for the Bryyonians than the Chozo have ever gotten. And that's just 1/3 of that game!
I want that Chozo lord digging/Samus backstory/power suit backstory/Metroids!!! game, damn it! Even though I know I'd probably be unhappy with it if it did happen lol.

Astral Dog

The Prime games had amazing lore expansion and universe explaining but honestly i feel like eventually some of that stuff wasn't needed. (Like do we need a Pirate Homeworld just called Pirate Homeworld with Ridley on it, or the Galactic Federation general using Auroras that look similar to Mother Brain without any reason given, or Dark Samus for the second time).

The best it gave us was TALLON IV, the space pirates operations before they were brainwashed, Chozos, parts of Aether, a sense of isolation and beautiful detailed creature logs

Cindro

What have you done.

Now you will be burnt out on the series

or you'll spend the entire time playing Samus Returns comparing it to the other entries
Playing these back-to-back-to-back has really given me a unique appreciation for all three, actually.

They all have different strengths, and represent a holy trinity within a franchise that is almost unparalleled in gaming.

All three are masterful in their own way. I can't wait to see how Samus Returns stacks up, especially since I've never played the original!

Astral Dog

Again, I'm not talking about the originality of the environments. Yes, Fusion is very distinct from 2, Super is very distinct from 1, etc. I'm just saying that the story continuing to call them recreations of the same two planets keeps this universe very limited.
I guess you could say Samus's personal journey begins and ends on Zebes. While SR388 is the only other important planet as Metroids were born there. The Metroid plot has been limited and simple until Metroid Prime wich expanded things but still part of the overall universe. Fusion actually explained a few things about the Metroids

D.Lo

I guess you could say Samus's personal journey begins and ends on Zebes. While SR388 is the only other important planet as Metroids were born there. The Metroid plot has been limited and simple until Metroid Prime wich expanded things but still part of the overall universe. Fusion actually explained a few things about the Metroids
Yeah that's the thing.

Metroid has played on nostalgia from year 8, Super Metroid. Which itself played on Nostalgia for the original game, with the expanded remake sections. Fusion was the Metroid II variation on the same idea. Zero Mission doubled back and was a remake that referenced the original and 3 in a art-eating-itself prequel/sequel.

While we read in the manuals that Samus is a famous bounty hunter for many other reasons, the series is (IMO unfortunately) called 'Metroid'. And the Metroid 1-4 continuum is really the only train of story that could make sense of actually having Metroids in it, and Space Pirates and Chozo paraphernalia for that matter.

And so we have the Prime games, which expand Samus adventures, but still have to tie in Chozo and Metroids and Space Pirates, so have to be set between games, and have the odd 'space pirates and Chozo (+Pals) and Metroids are everywhere' issue.

In my ideal world, a new enemy or life form appears for Samus to hunt. And the game would have a new title. It could be Samus name, or something else. Kind of like how Raiders of the Lost Ark rebranded as the Indiana Jones series. Or to a less successful extent how First Blood rebranded as the Rambo series. But after 30 years it's probably too late, Metroid is the brand. It would need a bold vision to create a new series of Samus games with another title.

Forward

Metroid ought to have ended after Super.

There are far worse ways to end a saga, that with perfection.

Samus herself can go the way of The Hero and Lufia, and make new memories. Except with actual SEquels.

Samus' home planet is K2-L not Zebes. It'd be interesting to go there in some future game... I suppose it would have to be a prequel to Zero Mission though considering it was destroyed. Unless it's a game on a spaceship recreating it ;)

rekameohs

Banned
Metroid ought to have ended after Super.

There are far worse ways to end a saga, that with perfection.

Samus herself can go the way of The Hero and Lufia, and make new memories. Except with actual SEquels.
No way, bro! I'm getting my first Kenji Yamamoto Metroid soundtrack in a decade in a couple days and you can't take that from me!

KayMote

I just woke up and can't wait for the reviews to come in!
What's everybody's feeling? Will the people be happy with this game? I don't know why exactly, but I'm sensing a great positivity here! :D

Opa-Pa

I just woke up and can't wait for the reviews to come in!
What's everybody's feeling? Will the people be happy with this game? I don't why exactly, but I'm sensing a great positivity here! :D

Most of the previews have been very positive, hell, I don't think I've seen any negative comments at all? A few gaffers with review copies have expressed they liked the game a lot as well.

I'm expecting a generally positive reception. Between 85-90 MC most likely.

Personally, from what I've seen, my only gripes are 30FPS and no D-pad movement, and the latter won't be that big of a deal, probably.

tesqui

I went ahead and preordered off Best Buy earlier today. So, regardless of reviews I'm 100% in! Also, maybe it'll ship early!

RagnarokX

It's fine if ridley's done tbh.

Just in Mother Brain's Generals you still got Kraid, Phantoon and Draygon to use.

Hell you could use crocomire and people wouldn't complain. Or just use a new character altogether.
Well, Ridley's special. He's not just a general, he's the leader of the Space Pirates. Mother Brain was a Chozo computer that betrayed the Chozo and teamed up with Ridley. That combined with his very personal history with Samus puts him at the top.

I wonder if the incomplete Ridley robot in Zero Mission was foreshadowing a way for Ridley to return. He built another one and uploaded a copy of his mind. It worked for Adam!

Sakamoto follows the Alien franchise pretty closely.

• Alien takes place on LV-426 and ends with a spaceship self destructing. Metroid takes place on Zebes and ends with a base self destructing.
  • Aliens returns to LV-426 and ends with the planet blowing up. Super Metroid returns to Zebes and ends with the planet blowing up.
  • Alien 3 takes place on Fury 161.
  • Alien Resurrection takes place on a space station and Ripley becomes a xenomorph hybrid. Fusion takes place on a space station and Samus becomes a metroid hybrid.

Honestly I prefer the more intimate approach. I love the Prime games, but I think expanding to that many planets actually makes the universe feel smaller; especially with how thin it spreads the Chozo. It makes the Chozo feel less special when they've visited all these planets and there's multiple aliens that are Chozo palette swaps. It would have been better if all the planets weren't home to Chozo and friends.

Metroid 2: Chozo Planet 2
Prime: Chozo Planet 3
Prime 2: Chozo Friend Planet 1
Prime 3: Chozo Friend Planet 2, Chozo Planet 4, Federation Planet, Space Pirate Planet with awful name.

On the flip side, Sakamoto should develop the Chozo a bit more. Most of the info we have on them comes from comics; like whole deal with them making the metroids to exterminate the X and then training Samus to clean up the metroids and X after they realize metroids were a mistake. Also it seems that Chozo are still around but the games never explain any of that.

Sakamoto is gonna be inspired by Prometheus next.

An origin type story!

(I've forgotten all about Prometheus. Maybe I'm getting the plot completely wrong. I didn't care for the film at all)

RagnarokX

An origin type story!

(I've forgotten all about Prometheus. Maybe I'm getting the plot completely wrong. I didn't care for the film at all)

Well, Samus is a criminal after Fusion, and Alien 3 takes place on a prison planet.

D.Lo

An origin type story!

You play as Samus' great grandmother, who must uncover the origins of the Metroids, why they were created by these Chozo gods who have the same DNA as humans. The escape sequence will be running away from the crashed ship from Super Metroid in a straight line.

Followed up by Metroid: Covenant Force, where a team of federation Idiots will land on SR388 and take off their helmets for no good reason and inhale X parasites while Robo-ridley invents Metroids for fun.

KingBroly

Banned
Looking at the box art, it seems like the Varia Suit's shoulder pads are added completely on top of Samus' power suit, instead of actually replacing them. Honestly, it just feels like they intentionally made them super big.

Well, if Metroid Fusion is to be believed (and it shouldn't), Missiles are downloaded digitally.

Still, they went EXTRA LARGE on the Shoulder Pads this time

Then you just find out it's because it's the Galactic 80's and this is just how female bounty hunters dress now.

045fd8055c9794c702cd8cc7e3bbe2dc.jpg

RagnarokX

Well, if Metroid Fusion is to be believed (and it shouldn't), Missiles are downloaded digitally.

Still, they went EXTRA LARGE on the Shoulder Pads this time

Well that's not an issue. The beam and missile upgrades have always been more like firmware. The arm cannon apparently manufactures the missiles as they are fired like a 3D printer, which begs the question why there's ammo. In Other M she could restock her ammo if she concentrated enough. Alternatively you could assume the missiles and other things are stored in the same space the power suit goes to when she deactivates it.

Duffk1ng

Well that's not an issue. The beam and missile upgrades have always been more like firmware. The arm cannon apparently manufactures the missiles as they are fired like a 3D printer, which begs the question why there's ammo. In Other M she could restock her ammo if she concentrated enough. Alternatively you could assume the missiles and other things are stored in the same space the power suit goes to when she deactivates it.

If they're 3D printed you still need the material from which to print, unless that's materialised too.

D.Lo

It's a video game is the answer. The issue is more modern games trying to lampshade 8-bit stuff like getting an instant suit upgrade from an item and collecting ammo/health by killing enemies.

Top Bottom