• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns (Mercury Steam, Metroid 2 reimagining, 9/15) announced for 3DS

Zero-ELEC

Banned
I just think that they screwed up that game so much that you can't really go forward because of it. It repeats every single story beat of Fusion to the point where you have to ask yourself 'why is Samus going through the same motions?' A Metroid 5 at this point under the same guise, would probably do the same thing. A Samus who's once again lost her agency and can't do anything without Adam's help, because it's not like they're done that shit twice over already. Just wait for the big surprise that the Federation was evil again and maybe that Adam's actually alive, because why the fuck not?

What sort of weird arse fixation do you have with Other M

Sakamoto thinks less of Other M than you

KarmaCow

The idea that we aren't getting a new Metroid game because it's too hard to make it follow the canon is absurd. No Nintendo game is beholden to the canon fanboys wring their hands about, much less the series that introduced the X in Fusion and barely had any sort of plot before that.

RagnarokX

That's what we actually needed instead of OM. Not the fusion remake we got, but an actual Metroid 5. It would have made a hell of a lot more sense to do 'federation training flashbacks' and all that shit in that context, and the whole 'federation was evil all along' thing which has now been revealed in two games in a row, ugh.
Actually the point of Other M in that regard was to back away from that a bit. In Other M the Federation isn't evil. A group within the federation is behind the bioweapon programs, but bioweapons are against the law and the head of the Federation was the one who sent Adam to uncover the conspiracy.

OM needs to be spunged from existence. We're never getting Metroid 5 because of it.
You really need to let it go, Broly. If anything all this has been detrimental to the franchise more than the game itself. I'm sure some constructive criticism would have gone a long way with Sakamoto, but the reaction has been so insanely overblown that I wouldn't want to make more games, either. Sakamoto moved past it. He's releasing an awesome game in a week.

I hope for Metroid 5 they go a different, yet interesting way of losing her powers. I was thinking maybe space pirate find a way to take her suit and you have to find the pieces and reassemble it, starting from zero suit. Could even add other experimental chozo artifacts and have them all placed in branching paths from a central point, to make it feel like theres more freedom and exploration.

Or idk more suit permissions.

Astral Dog

I hope for Metroid 5 they go a different, yet interesting way of losing her powers. I was thinking maybe space pirate find a way to take her suit and you have to find the pieces and reassemble it, starting from zero suit. Could even add other experimental chozo artifacts and have them all placed in branching paths from a central point, to make it feel like theres more freedom and exploration.

The Space Purates are dead

RagnarokX

Eh, by Fusion the Space Pirates don't exist anymore. The villains would have to be that evil Federation group and their bioweapons.

RagnarokX

I'd be okay with them inventing a new enemy because the Federation are easily the dullest aspect of the Metroid universe.

Well they have to deal with it. Samus isn't going to be getting work after she became a terrorist in Fusion. She needs to clear her name and expose the conspiracy first.

D.Lo

The best way is to make them new versions of the powers. Prime 2 could have done this given how many new powers it had, Samus never 'lost' the dark or light suits or beams, they were brand new. So you start in the new planet/environment with the Varia suit, but it's not very useful there, you need to get the plasma suit and crush missiles or whatever.

Or just don't deal with it at all. It's a video game, and a series that IMO isn't afraid to be a game. Don't hand wave it, just skip it, start with no powers and leave it at that. It's silly but so is Bond changing actor, you get over it after 5 minutes.

Prime 1/2 had the introductions where you can certain powers to do a tutorial then lost them so needed an explanation, but every other game it was unnecessary.

Well they have to deal with it. Samus isn't going to be getting work after she became a terrorist in Fusion. She needs to clear her name and expose the conspiracy first.
Metroid also has a history of covering large story beats in an intro/manual.

The intro to Metroid 5 could be 'As shown in Bottle Ship/SR388 ship, a group in the federation was evil

[recap screen of OM/Fusion scenes]

I delivered the information to HQ and those responsible were taken into custody

[shot of scientists being arrested]

I received a new ship as thanks, and was off to search for new bounty and Space Pirate holdouts.

[shot of new ship]

When I received an alarm... An explosion at a federation base on a nearby planet!

jwhit28

Some super soldiers program gone wrong would let Samus fight the Federation without having to kill too many humans. They could be like space Las Plagas but wrapped in Federation armor.

RagnarokX

Some super soldiers program gone wrong would let Samus fight the Federation without having to kill too many humans. They could be like space Las Plagas but wrapped in Federation armor.

Well, I mean, the issue left over after Fusion is that Samus is branded a criminal since she has no way to prove that the reason she blew up a Federation lab and a planet was to stop conspirators from unleashing a biological terror upon the Galaxy.

She doesn't need to fight humans. She could infiltrate another lab where they're making more bioweapons to get proof that she's not a terrorist. Or maybe have the conspiracy group play their hand and unleash their bioweapons as an act of civil war and Samus steps in to save the Federation. The conspiracy group would use Zebesians as their troops since supposedly they still have MB. Put MB into a form more like Mother Brain and have her take control away from the conspirators. Clone Ridley again. Space Pirates back in business.

Kindekuma

Banned
Well, I mean, the issue left over after Fusion is that Samus is branded a criminal since she has no way to prove that the reason she blew up a Federation lab and a planet was to stop conspirators from unleashing a biological terror upon the Galaxy.

I might be wrong, but isn't Adam the one that assigned Samus to do that task? And isn't that AI part of Galactic Federation property? Seems like Samus was just following orders, despite the initial conflict Samus and Adam had before actually going and doing it. So would Samus be branded as a criminal?

RagnarokX

I might be wrong, but isn't Adam the one that assigned Samus to do that task? And isn't that AI part of Galactic Federation property? Seems like Samus was just following orders, despite the initial conflict Samus and Adam had before actually going and doing it. So would Samus be branded as a criminal?

Adam went rogue, too. He was ordered to lock the doors and keep Samus from interfering, but he helped her do what she did instead. They're both criminals. The conspiracy group that was behind the incident isn't going to come forward and reveal what happened. As far as the Federation knows, Samus blew up the BSL and SR388 for no reason.

Samus: That perfect military mind... The wisdom of Adam Malkovich continued to serve even after death. Until today, I had no idea that the minds of leaders and scientists were frequently uploaded to computers. My incredible reunion with Adam may have saved the universe...

But how will the beings of the universe view our resolve? I doubt they will understand what we did... the danger we barely averted. They will hold tribunals and investigations. They will hold us responsible. Adam understood this, and he spoke to me in my anger...

"Do not worry. One of them will understand. One of them must."

I've reflected upon his words, and I see the wisdom in them. We are all bound by our experiences. They are the limits of our consciousness.

Krathoon

Gold Member
Of course, the special edition is already not available online. Good thing I ordered the Amibo pack way back when it was announced.

Kindekuma

Banned
Adam went rogue, too. He was ordered to lock the doors and keep Samus from interfering, but he helped her do what she did instead. They're both criminals. The conspiracy group that was behind the incident isn't going to come forward and reveal what happened. As far as the Federation knows, Samus blew up the BSL and SR388 for no reason.

Samus: That perfect military mind... The wisdom of Adam Malkovich continued to serve even after death. Until today, I had no idea that the minds of leaders and scientists were frequently uploaded to computers. My incredible reunion with Adam may have saved the universe...

But how will the beings of the universe view our resolve? I doubt they will understand what we did... the danger we barely averted. They will hold tribunals and investigations. They will hold us responsible. Adam understood this, and he spoke to me in my anger...

"Do not worry. One of them will understand. One of them must."

I've reflected upon his words, and I see the wisdom in them. We are all bound by our experiences. They are the limits of our consciousness.

Good shit, thanks for that!

MoonFrog

Yeah. They can make Metroid 5 if/when they want to (in the full sense of that phrase, i.e. some combination of creative desire and business willingness). Metroid does have a tradition of having a tighter story connection between games but a) that need not persist and b) I fail to see how the post-fusion state is so impossible. Just have Samus on the run, crash land on a planet, and there be something to do on that planet, whether that ties back into the main plot or not.

As to Adam...even the Fusion language about him is so positively dripping. He is pretty much the only thing Samus ever thinks about in that game, for beginning to end. It is honestly pretty hard to handle going back to it. Part of that is the existence of Other M problematizes it all, part of that is that her internal life is presented as obsession. I feel they could have handled her having a daddy figure a lot better. People have those. Instead they reduce her to a daddy complex in their single-minded overwritten approach to it.

Kindekuma

Banned
Yeah. They can make Metroid 5 if/when they want to (in the full sense of that phrase, i.e. some combination of creative desire and business willingness). Metroid does have a tradition of having a tighter story connection between games but a) that need not persist and b) I fail to see how the post-fusion state is so impossible. Just have Samus on the run, crash land on a planet, and there be something to do on that planet, whether that ties back into the main plot or not.

Galactic Federation could be really pissed, and instead of jailing her, they give her a suicide mission of infiltrating the Pirate Homeworld and eliminating all the space pirates single handedly. If she does complete the mission, they let her go, if she dies then she'll at least taken some Pirates with her. That's kind of how I picture a Metroid V.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Galactic Federation could be really pissed, and instead of jailing her, they give her a suicide mission of infiltrating the Pirate Homeworld and eliminating all the space pirates single handedly. If she does complete the mission, they let her go, if she dies then she'll at least taken some Pirates with her. That's kind of how I picture a Metroid V.

The pirates are gone by Fusion, tho.

Atrarock

When was that confirmed???
The intro cutscene to Metroid other M

Samus said:
Thanks to the Hyper Beam, which was given to me somehow by the baby, I laid Mother Brain to waste.

And the explosion that followed destroyed planet Zebes, along with the remains of Mother Brain, the Space Pirates, and my long-standing nemesis, Ridley.

D.Lo

The intro cutscene to Metroid other M
Yeah but the Metroids have been 'wiped out' three times now. And there keep being more and more planets full of Chozo and their bros.

There could easily be what turns out to be another Space Pirate holdout somewhere.

RagnarokX

As to Adam...even the Fusion language about him is so positively dripping. He is pretty much the only thing Samus ever thinks about in that game, for beginning to end. It is honestly pretty hard to handle going back to it. Part of that is the existence of Other M problematizes it all, part of that is that her internal life is presented as obsession. I feel they could have handled her having a daddy figure a lot better. People have those. Instead they reduce her to a daddy complex in their single-minded overwritten approach to it.
I feel people overblow that, though. I mean while she considers him a father figure it doesn't really get to daddy-complex degrees. She considers his presence on the bottle ship more of a burden and she puts up with his command since she has no choice. The closest it comes to that is the scene where she discovers that the scientists have been cloning Zebesians and she says:

"Samus i - I didn't need to press Adam about it any further. I knew his mind. Not only was he a strong opponent of bioweapons, he was against the use of living things for unnecessary reasons, period. Life, no matter what form it takes as it's born into this often cruel universe, should not be tampered with... That was Adam's philosophy. In bringing the infant Metroid back, I did something that I know would have gone against his convictions. And, though I might have been left alone, it was a clear and blatant violation of protocol. I wondered what Adam thought of me... Out of nowhere, I suddenly found myself concerned with his opinion again."

That's like the only line that really has those vibes and then it goes away. Where she wonders about Adam's opinion of her over bringing the baby metroid back from SR388. But it also shows she doesn't value his opinion that much. Which goes along with the scene where it shows the event that caused Samus to leave Adam's command where she says that although she knows Adam was right and she knows that her objection made his heartbreaking decision harder she still would have tried to do what she wanted to do back then. And then when a scientist she's never met before tells Samus that Adam's name is credited as being behind the Metroid cloning program Samus pretty easily considers the possibility that Adam is the villain.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Yeah but the Metroids have been 'wiped out' three times now. And there keep being more and more planets full of Chozo and their bros.

There could easily be what turns out to be another Space Pirate holdout somewhere.

The Metroids were only 'wiped out' once, in The Return of Samus/Samus Returns.

MoonFrog

Yep. They can "resurrect" them if they so choose.

Or just introduce a new threat in space. It is...space. New stuff can continually pop up.

MoonFrog

There's a reason it's a surprise they're still around in Fusion. The Space Pirates take the last Metroid breed some, and then you blow them all up on Zebes.

But then it happens Federation has some DNA and then it happens they've bred a bunch.

D.Lo

No, the opposite lol. They were NOT wiped out in II, since the hatchling survived. They were wiped out in Super Metroid, Other M and Fusion.

The baby was the 'last one' in SM and it died. Then the Federation had breeding programs in OM and Fusion, both of which were 'wiped out'.

Top Bottom