• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroidvania the recommendations thread

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
You have played most of the best already.
I would add Gato Roboto, short and easy but very sweet. And that almighty classic, Cave Story. The Shantae games after Risky’s Revenge are all good, too.

Axiom Verge is hot shit. Please avoid.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I play a ton in this genre and picked this up over the weekend.

So far I am enjoying it, great look, cool music…the story could take a turn for the worse but right now it is just fine. Like a memory loss type of vibe…also the whole thing opens in black and white which was neat.

Weapons are cool so far (staring with a pike/axe and branches out pretty quick), and you have a Ori-esq helper as well.

Last edited:

PanzerCute

Death Gambit is also not bad at all, especially after the big update they did last year.

Great visuals and music, competent combat and some great boss fights. Not on par with the likes of Blasphemous or HK but still an enjoyable Metroidvania.

Last edited:

HYDE

Banned
You have played most of the best already.
I would add Gato Roboto, short and easy but very sweet. And that almighty classic, Cave Story. The Shantae games after Risky’s Revenge are all good, too.

Axiom Verge is hot shit. Please avoid.
Gato Roboto & Haiku the Robot both look amusing. Thanks for the negative impressions also, because I really want to avoid purchasing duds.

HYDE

Banned
Death Gambit is also not bad at all, especially after the big update they did last year.

Great visuals and music, competent combat and some great boss fights. Not on par with the likes of Blasphemous or HK but still an enjoyable Metroidvania.
Blasphemous… is that one good? Like the aesthetics of it.

PanzerCute

Blasphemous… is that one good? Like the aesthetics of it.
To me it is a master piece, plain and simple. Asethetics is indeed incredible, with some very awe inspiring and dark AF stuff, and the OST is very original, and is still stuck in py head after many years.

Its a bit challenging and I would say its more a Soulsvania than a pure MV, meaning that its a bit more rigid in terms of quests design, character evolution and even level design.

But man, if you have never played it, I envy you, I replay it every year and would love to discover it again.

asker

Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom is fantastic. The intro cinematic might lead you to believe it's targeted towards younger children, but after the tutorial things get a lot better! It's gorgeous, inventive, polished, has great exploration and puzzles, can't recommend it enough.

HYDE

Banned
To me it is a master piece, plain and simple. Asethetics is indeed incredible, with some very awe inspiring and dark AF stuff, and the OST is very original, and is still stuck in py head after many years.

Its a bit challenging and I would say its more a Soulsvania than a pure MV, meaning that its a bit more rigid in terms of quests design, character evolution and even level design.

But man, if you have never played it, I envy you, I replay it every year and would love to discover it again.
Sweet!! Just bought it. I also added the announced sequel to the watch for list.

So I seem to be in the minority in general from what I've read but:

Axiom Verge 2

I thought the first one was a weirdly annoying straight Metroid clone and while I finished it, I never liked it much. The sequel however is almost entirely different. The levels are beautiful and varied, the combat is much more fun and mostly melee based, traversal and upgrades are good and the music is straight up god-tier imo. There's also a cool dual world system where you essentially can go "behind the Matrix" into an 8-bit looking world behind the curtain so to speak. What really does it for me is the atmosphere. I think atmosphere and aesthetic in general is super important to games like this and the whole Mesopotamian ancient technology vibe rules and makes exploration a pleasure. Check these out:

Anyway, outside of the big heavy hitters, Axiom Verge 2 is actually one of my favorites in a very long time. I've recommended it to two friends who both didn't care for it so not sure if you'll like it.

Paltheos

Record of Lodoss War is rad. Super-short but it does just about everything right. Deedlit controls great and the fights are fun, but the real draw of the game is its appearance. The pixel art is gorgeous, some of the best I've ever seen, and the soundtrack is bonkers (as is typical of Team Ladybug).

AM2R has not been recommended at all in this thread, surprisingly (maybe people deliberately didn't mention it because it's natively PC and idk about console support). It's a fan game from several years back and possibly my favorite 2D Metroid ever. Control options are certainly the best for any Metroid game. AM2R expands on the Metroid 2 world, adding new areas, upgrades, and plenty of new bosses, all presented in the fast-paced Zero Mission-style of gameplay. It's just a fantastic ride, from beginning to end. I replayed it again a few months ago and, yep, still amazing.

Timespinner is... alright. Some of the systems don't gel together perfectly imo, but the moment-to-moment gameplay is fun and the soundtrack is good too. I think the sidequests are kinda boring in that same way later Castlevania games just sorta shoehorned in fetch quests for you to do. Biggest gripes with the game are that the character art is kinda fugly and for some reason the writing team thought it would be ok to force nearly every character in a post-apocalyptic future into touchy-feely LGBTQ+ relationships. It's really jarring lol

AM2R has not been recommended at all in this thread, surprisingly (maybe people deliberately didn't mention it because it's natively PC and idk about console support). It's a fan game from several years back and possibly my favorite 2D Metroid ever. Control options are certainly the best for any Metroid game. AM2R expands on the Metroid 2 world, adding new areas, upgrades, and plenty of new bosses, all presented in the fast-paced Zero Mission-style of gameplay. It's just a fantastic ride, from beginning to end. I replayed it again a few months ago and, yep, still amazing.
I'm not kidding, AM2R is one of the absolute top Metroid games for me. I've beaten it four times and I just love that game. If they put that shit out officially, I'd buy it instantly.

I actually lost it on my old hard drive so I need to look into downloading it again but not sure how available it still is considering Nintendo are fucking eagle-eyed.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Blasphemous is definitely great. I beat it the first time recently.

Count me in the camp that prefers Axiom Verge much more to 2.

Mr Branding

I’m also wanting to give Blasphemous a shot but the souls like nature I keep hearing about keeps me away. Trial and error isn’t my thing. It’s on sale on Eu eshop atm.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Record of Lodoss War is rad. Super-short but it does just about everything right. Deedlit controls great and the fights are fun, but the real draw of the game is its appearance. The pixel art is gorgeous, some of the best I've ever seen, and the soundtrack is bonkers (as is typical of Team Ladybug).

Timespinner is... alright. Some of the systems don't gel together perfectly imo, but the moment-to-moment gameplay is fun and the soundtrack is good too. I think the sidequests are kinda boring in that same way later Castlevania games just sorta shoehorned in fetch quests for you to do. Biggest gripes with the game are that the character art is kinda fugly and for some reason the writing team thought it would be ok to force nearly every character in a post-apocalyptic future into touchy-feely LGBTQ+ relationships. It's really jarring lol

I'm not kidding, AM2R is one of the absolute top Metroid games for me. I've beaten it four times and I just love that game. If they put that shit out officially, I'd buy it instantly.

I actually lost it on my old hard drive so I need to look into downloading it again but not sure how available it still is considering Nintendo are fucking eagle-eyed.

You can install AM2R very easily on your XB X/S and afaik it is immune from the recent RetroArch purge (for non-developer mode). I don't THINK I can post the link directly here on Gaf but google "AM2R Install On Series X" should get you sorted.

Enjoy!

I’m also wanting to give Blasphemous a shot but the souls like nature I keep hearing about keeps me away. Trial and error isn’t my thing. It’s on sale on Eu eshop atm.
Blasphemous is much more inspired by classic 16-bit action platformers than Souls I think. There's no stamina, combat is quicker and there's a lot of platforming. I don't wanna sell you on a game you might find too hard but personally I thought it had a good challenge to it, nothing crazy. It's in line with the less ball-breaking SNES action games maybe?

Either way, I think it's a fantastic game with incredible atmosphere and all the updates and free DLC since it launched kept making it a better experience and ironed out any issues people had in early reviews I think.

You can install AM2R very easily on your XB X/S and afaik it is immune from the recent RetroArch purge (for non-developer mode). I don't THINK I can post the link directly here on Gaf but google "AM2R Install On Series X" should get you sorted.

Enjoy!
I've actually only played it on PC. I would be interested if it can run on PS5 (don't have X) though now that I think about it...

protonion

There you go:
oTqLV4b.jpeg

Last edited:

Skeptical

To echo what some others have recommended:

- Ender Lilies - I played this one recently and quite enjoyed it. It has some clear Souls influences (dead world, longer attack animations, limited health recoveries that are replenished at save spots, etc) but eliminates the brutal punishment for dying. It's still quite challenging, but you have a ton of possible approaches for attacking (similar to Castlevania in that regard) that you can always re-check your strategy and always keeps things interesting. I know some people find the map annoying, but I personally thought it gave you enough information you needed without making it a crutch.

- Shantae - I love this series. Shantae is great to control, the atmosphere is bright, cute, and silly, and it just feels fun. They aren't hard or complex games, but that makes for wonderful palette cleansers. Pirate's curse (3rd one) is probably the best, but Seven Sirens (5th) is the most "traditional" Metroidvaniaish. Note that the structure tends to be more Zelda-esque: you need to go through a sequence to open up a "dungeon" area, which is where you find your power up and boss. Still, great fun to play.

- Touhou Luna Nights - If you are looking for Super Metroid-esque brilliant map layout and Metroidvania-style level design, this is not your game. It's quite basic in that regard. However, the game has some great synergy between its basic elements: 1) you can pause time, 2) your basic attack is sending out a gazillion knives, 3) if an enemy or projectile comes close to you but without hitting you, you replenish either time if your time is paused or health if time is not. Also, bosses are bullet hell bosses. Combat is crazy in this game, and the emphasis on throwing knives and stopping time makes it unique compared to the rest of them.

Some other recommendations, albeit neither of these I enjoyed quite as much as the ones above:

- Blaster Master Zero Trilogy - Blaster Master was an awesome idea. The basic concept is that you have sidescrolling levels in a mobile tank, but then you leave the tank, enter caves, and engage in top-down action. But it was on the NES held back by some NES-era flaws. The remake fixes those flaws, but ends up introducing others in the process (most notably making the top down action sections too easy). The second game then fixes those flaws, and is genuinely great. The third game just didn't feel as fun, more like going through the motions. So honestly, the second is the only one I recommend, but they are all cheap and short so you can try them all if you want.

- Alwa's Legacy - This is technically a sequel, but, eh, who cares about plot? It's an NES-style game, and not just in presentation. What I like about this one is it is so easy to get lost and confused. The typical signposting of modern games is heavily reduced, and it's not quite as obviously gated as some of the more strict, linear Metroidvanias. It led to a lot of aimless wandering around, which I enjoyed. It's not the greatest game, but notably pleasant.

And some cautionary tales on some other games mentioned:

- Gato Roboto is pretty fun, I won't deny that. However, it's status as a "mini-Metroidvania" means the exploration elements are seriously limited. If you just want a fun sidescroller starring a cat in a mech suit, play it. If you want to get lost exploring as a cat in a mech suit, this won't scratch that itch.

- Like others, I found Timespinners to be somewhat dull. There was nothing wrong with the gameplay, but nothing that stood out to me either. I doubt I will ever play it again. It may have been satisfying 15 years ago when MVs were more limited, but we have such a glut today that it is decidedly C-tier.

- The Messenger is weird in that it is a straightforward linear game for the first half, then switches to a Metroidvania afterwards. I was enjoying the game until the switch, but I don't think it worked well. It's probably a personal preference more than anything else, but it killed the pacing and killed my groove.

- I'm the only person in the world who didn't like Monster Boy. Movement is limited, especially early on. Combat wasn't fun, puzzles weren't fun, exploration wasn't fun. I'm in the minority here, so I could be wrong. But other than the presentation, nothing stood out to me. Maybe because I didn't grow up on Wonder Boy, who knows...

protonion

La-Mulana always looks so damn intriguing to me but all I keep reading is that it's essentially impossibly hard. What's everyone's thoughts on this series in here?

From what I've read, it sounds legit impossible and absurd.
You will not finish it without hints.
But it's brilliant and worth it even if you solve just 10% of the game by yourself.
There is nothing like it.

The sequel is a bit easier but also longer.

Just YouTube the first 30 minutes to see if you could get some enjoyment out of it.

But it's brilliant and worth it even if you solve just 10% of the game by yourself.

Just YouTube the first 30 minutes to see if you could get some enjoyment out of it.
I'm one of those players who thinks I ruined the entire game if I even have to look up one puzzle solution. That sounds like insanity to me, like why design a game seemingly nobody can even vaguely figure out because that's all I've ever read about it :messenger_tears_of_joy:

HYDE

Banned
To echo what some others have recommended:

- Ender Lilies - I played this one recently and quite enjoyed it. It has some clear Souls influences (dead world, longer attack animations, limited health recoveries that are replenished at save spots, etc) but eliminates the brutal punishment for dying. It's still quite challenging, but you have a ton of possible approaches for attacking (similar to Castlevania in that regard) that you can always re-check your strategy and always keeps things interesting. I know some people find the map annoying, but I personally thought it gave you enough information you needed without making it a crutch.

- Shantae - I love this series. Shantae is great to control, the atmosphere is bright, cute, and silly, and it just feels fun. They aren't hard or complex games, but that makes for wonderful palette cleansers. Pirate's curse (3rd one) is probably the best, but Seven Sirens (5th) is the most "traditional" Metroidvaniaish. Note that the structure tends to be more Zelda-esque: you need to go through a sequence to open up a "dungeon" area, which is where you find your power up and boss. Still, great fun to play.

- Touhou Luna Nights - If you are looking for Super Metroid-esque brilliant map layout and Metroidvania-style level design, this is not your game. It's quite basic in that regard. However, the game has some great synergy between its basic elements: 1) you can pause time, 2) your basic attack is sending out a gazillion knives, 3) if an enemy or projectile comes close to you but without hitting you, you replenish either time if your time is paused or health if time is not. Also, bosses are bullet hell bosses. Combat is crazy in this game, and the emphasis on throwing knives and stopping time makes it unique compared to the rest of them.

Some other recommendations, albeit neither of these I enjoyed quite as much as the ones above:

- Blaster Master Zero Trilogy - Blaster Master was an awesome idea. The basic concept is that you have sidescrolling levels in a mobile tank, but then you leave the tank, enter caves, and engage in top-down action. But it was on the NES held back by some NES-era flaws. The remake fixes those flaws, but ends up introducing others in the process (most notably making the top down action sections too easy). The second game then fixes those flaws, and is genuinely great. The third game just didn't feel as fun, more like going through the motions. So honestly, the second is the only one I recommend, but they are all cheap and short so you can try them all if you want.

- Alwa's Legacy - This is technically a sequel, but, eh, who cares about plot? It's an NES-style game, and not just in presentation. What I like about this one is it is so easy to get lost and confused. The typical signposting of modern games is heavily reduced, and it's not quite as obviously gated as some of the more strict, linear Metroidvanias. It led to a lot of aimless wandering around, which I enjoyed. It's not the greatest game, but notably pleasant.

And some cautionary tales on some other games mentioned:

- Gato Roboto is pretty fun, I won't deny that. However, it's status as a "mini-Metroidvania" means the exploration elements are seriously limited. If you just want a fun sidescroller starring a cat in a mech suit, play it. If you want to get lost exploring as a cat in a mech suit, this won't scratch that itch.

- Like others, I found Timespinners to be somewhat dull. There was nothing wrong with the gameplay, but nothing that stood out to me either. I doubt I will ever play it again. It may have been satisfying 15 years ago when MVs were more limited, but we have such a glut today that it is decidedly C-tier.

- The Messenger is weird in that it is a straightforward linear game for the first half, then switches to a Metroidvania afterwards. I was enjoying the game until the switch, but I don't think it worked well. It's probably a personal preference more than anything else, but it killed the pacing and killed my groove.

- I'm the only person in the world who didn't like Monster Boy. Movement is limited, especially early on. Combat wasn't fun, puzzles weren't fun, exploration wasn't fun. I'm in the minority here, so I could be wrong. But other than the presentation, nothing stood out to me. Maybe because I didn't grow up on Wonder Boy, who knows...
Wow! Amazing write up thank you…
I’ve been following Shantae since the gameboy color released but never have played any of them. Are they all good, or if not, which ones are the best?

Fuz

Banned
There you go:
oTqLV4b.jpeg
Damn, La-Mulana's got a big ass box.
Astalon is awful btw.

Play 1 or skip to 2?

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
La-Mulana is possibly the best adventure game ever. But yeah, if you can finish it without looking for a single hint online, you’re not human. I tend to not conflate it with metroidvanias because it’s so much heavier on the puzzles, which aren’t usually the genre’s forte.

AM2R is solid, but its indie origins shine very clearly through. I enjoyed it though, definitely recommended if you want a modern Metroid 2 in the style of Super/Fusion rather than what Mercury Steam did with the official remake.

SolidQ

Aeterna Noctis. Also game will get soon dlc with content. Warning: this game is biggest metroidvania! Can be easily 70+ hrs. There also 2 difficulties one for hardcore players, other for more casual players with less platforming

Fuz

Banned
Aeterna Noctis. Also game will get soon dlc with content. Warning: this game is biggest metroidvania! Can be easily 70+ hrs. There also 2 difficulties one for hardcore players, other for more casual players with less platforming

Is that you, Alucard? Lol, shameless.
I hate the art style and especially the flash-like animations.
How long was SotN btw? I remember it to be super long.

Top Bottom