• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroidvania the recommendations thread

Holammer

La-Mulana is possibly the best adventure game ever. But yeah, if you can finish it without looking for a single hint online, you’re not human. I tend to not conflate it with metroidvanias because it’s so much heavier on the puzzles, which aren’t usually the genre’s forte.

AM2R is solid, but its indie origins shine very clearly through. I enjoyed it though, definitely recommended if you want a modern Metroid 2 in the style of Super/Fusion rather than what Mercury Steam did with the official remake.
I played La-Mulana for almost 47h (23/64 achievements). Refused to look up solutions and never finished it.
The flesh sickens me, I am too weak.

Looking at global achievements stats? A LOT of players drop off that one, only 15.8% find Mulbruk and that's reasonably early in the game.

Don't forget the Zelda series. A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, Oracle of Whatever are basically top-down metroidvanias (or rather, Metroid was Zelda ported to a 2D view). If you haven't played them, give them a try.

Also, given what your favourite games are, I strongly recommend Blasphemous.

Skeptical

Wow! Amazing write up thank you…
I’ve been following Shantae since the gameboy color released but never have played any of them. Are they all good, or if not, which ones are the best?
Shantae is, well, a Game Boy game. Impressive for its time, and it actually introduces practically every major element and gameplay quirk of the series, including many of the puzzles. But its short, clunky, doesn't control great, and is missing a lot of the humor and charm of later games.

Risky's Revenge was a downloadable DS game, and thus is also impressive for its time yet somewhat dated. It fares better than the first game though, and is perfectly serviceable. The map is small, but still a traditional Metroidvania style. If you care about plot it's a decent place to start, but is still a step below the other games.

Pirate's Curse is the first modern Shantae, albeit with pixellated graphics rather than the HD sprites of the next two games. This one eliminates the dancing/animal mechanic (Shantae does a dance and transforms into an animal which provides extra movement or abilities) in favor of more traditional MV powerups. However, that results in a much smoother experience overall, as you no longer are stopping every time you need one of your transformations. The game is also less Metroidvania-ish, being broken up into distinct islands that have an "overworld" and "dungeon" section. It's not a challenging experience, but it controls perfectly, has good puzzles, lots of humor, great setpieces, and thus ends up being my personal favorite.

Half Genie Hero is... small. It's a more linear game, albeit requiring you to return to previous levels multiple times to find new powerups and progression items. The moment to moment gameplay is fun enough, but this lack of space can make the game feel tedious at times.

Seven Sirens is basically the most traditionally Metroidvania-ish of the franchise. It controls well, mostly killing the dance animations while still keeping animal transformations, allowing for a smoother experience (and still having some dancing present for tradition that isn't quite as momentum-crushing). My biggest gripe at the time was that it was way too easy, with the game drowning you in restorative items. I hear they rebalanced it, so I may have to go back and try again.

Also, FYI, plotwise the first three games do work as direct sequels, while the next two are essentially standalone stories. It really doesn't matter. Plot isn't the driver here, the humor is better. I played them all completely out of order and it didn't bother me in the slightest.

So basically, Pirate's Curse is great, Seven Sirens is solid but easy (or at least was), Risky's Revenge and Half-Genie Hero are decent enough, and the only reason to play the original is for completionist or historical preference.

Batiman

Banned
I recommend The messenger. I haven’t played it but watched my son play most of it. He’s always bugging me to play it. He loved it and he’s pretty picky.

HYDE

Banned
Shantae is, well, a Game Boy game. Impressive for its time, and it actually introduces practically every major element and gameplay quirk of the series, including many of the puzzles. But its short, clunky, doesn't control great, and is missing a lot of the humor and charm of later games.

Risky's Revenge was a downloadable DS game, and thus is also impressive for its time yet somewhat dated. It fares better than the first game though, and is perfectly serviceable. The map is small, but still a traditional Metroidvania style. If you care about plot it's a decent place to start, but is still a step below the other games.

Pirate's Curse is the first modern Shantae, albeit with pixellated graphics rather than the HD sprites of the next two games. This one eliminates the dancing/animal mechanic (Shantae does a dance and transforms into an animal which provides extra movement or abilities) in favor of more traditional MV powerups. However, that results in a much smoother experience overall, as you no longer are stopping every time you need one of your transformations. The game is also less Metroidvania-ish, being broken up into distinct islands that have an "overworld" and "dungeon" section. It's not a challenging experience, but it controls perfectly, has good puzzles, lots of humor, great setpieces, and thus ends up being my personal favorite.

Half Genie Hero is... small. It's a more linear game, albeit requiring you to return to previous levels multiple times to find new powerups and progression items. The moment to moment gameplay is fun enough, but this lack of space can make the game feel tedious at times.

Seven Sirens is basically the most traditionally Metroidvania-ish of the franchise. It controls well, mostly killing the dance animations while still keeping animal transformations, allowing for a smoother experience (and still having some dancing present for tradition that isn't quite as momentum-crushing). My biggest gripe at the time was that it was way too easy, with the game drowning you in restorative items. I hear they rebalanced it, so I may have to go back and try again.

Also, FYI, plotwise the first three games do work as direct sequels, while the next two are essentially standalone stories. It really doesn't matter. Plot isn't the driver here, the humor is better. I played them all completely out of order and it didn't bother me in the slightest.

So basically, Pirate's Curse is great, Seven Sirens is solid but easy (or at least was), Risky's Revenge and Half-Genie Hero are decent enough, and the only reason to play the original is for completionist or historical preference.
Thanks so much for going into all that detail! One other question, which one is done by the amazing pixel artist that also did Contra 4, I think?

HYDE

Banned
Don't forget the Zelda series. A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, Oracle of Whatever are basically top-down metroidvanias (or rather, Metroid was Zelda ported to a 2D view). If you haven't played them, give them a try.

Also, given what your favourite games are, I strongly recommend Blasphemous.
Zelda is actually my favorite series. I own them all and totally agree!!

HYDE

Banned
I’m also wanting to give Blasphemous a shot but the souls like nature I keep hearing about keeps me away. Trial and error isn’t my thing. It’s on sale on Eu eshop atm.
If it’s any encouragement at all, I’ve found making sure you find a save spot (when you assume things look like they’re about to get challenging) has saved me a few cheap deaths so far.

Yerd

I have played Carrion a little. It's fine. It's nothing amazing, but it's worth a play. I just stopped playing as I do with a lot of games. Interrupted by something and never returned. I will some day.

I have a big list of metroidvania games in my steam library. Some of them come from recommendation threads like these, I just buy them if I see they are well reviewed as well.

I can't guess if any of the games are also on console.

Owlboy is one no one has mentioned and I think is really good. I'm pretty sure it's on console.

Dead Cells is definitely worth it.
The Messenger is great.
Shovel Knight

Everything else I can think of has been mentioned already.

HYDE

Banned
How is FIST?

Also wondering if anyone has played Haiku the Robot and can post some impressions?

Timespinners is pure cringe and woke. The gameplay was decent, but nothing amazing. But yeah... cringe:

sy4pwuihzek31.jpg

Lodoss was fun, just too short. If you a huge fan SOTN, Lodoss feels like some weird Saturn exclusive rip-off, but in all the good ways.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
#1 best in genre is Blasphemous . Highly recommended to fans of souls like games that enjoy atmosphere and fromsoftwares story telling approach.

#2 castlevania symphony of the night. Nuff said.

#3 dead cells. Rogue lite and addicting.

#4 Hollow Knight. Just a cool game and world.

#5 Not a full blown Metroidvania but more of a vania, Bloodstained Curse of the Moon #2.

bender

What time is it?
Owlboy is one no one has mentioned and I think is really good. I'm pretty sure it's on console.

Dead Cells is definitely worth it.
The Messenger is great.
Shovel Knight

Everything else I can think of has been mentioned already.

I played Owlboy on Switch. The pixel art is lovely buy the game is dull as dishwater. I loved the Messenger until the twist of it becoming a Metroidvania and then thought the quality fell off a cliff.

Holammer

Just finished a 10h Noita run and you guys know what? If Dead Cells is a metroidvania, so is Noita.
Sure, it's a roguelike-physics-alchemy game, but the sense of discovery is something else and the world is humongous.

Met my demise in The Tower for which I was woefully under-prepared and crippled by Leggy Mutation

E91E4D68F7305D6D57219740F932A6DD549069A1

lordrand11

Simple…list the ones you love & your fellow gaffer recommends some to play.

Favorites:
Metroid- Zero Mission, Samus Returns, Super, Fusion, Dread
Castlevania- SOTN, AOS, DOS, OOE, COTM, POR, HOD
Hollow Knight
Ori 1 & 2
Guacamelee 1 & 2
Steamworld Dig 1 & 2
Bloodstained ROTN
Yoku’s Island Express

Interested in & not sure on genre (marked with ?):
*Carrion?
*Dead Cells?
*Ender Lillies
*Fist
*Have A Nice Death?
*Hyper Light Drifter?
*Jotun?
*Messenger?
*Record Lodoss
*Strider
*Sundered?

Really want recommendations for consoles as I have all those systems. Please mention any I haven’t listed also, especially if similar to my favorites.
I'd certainly recommend Axiom Verge 1 and 2, both were very solid games

Saber

Gold Member
Here's a few more fun ones.

I don't suggest picking this up on PS4(or perhaps its exclusive of console versions). 30 fps(and its not even stable) and no menu for seeing your current acessories or change weapons(you can only change with a single button).
Also animations and certain enemies spawn locations are 100% bugged and if the main character dies from a dps area effect, he keeps screaming his death animation until he respawns.

Hohenheim

F.I.S.T is really cool. Smooth controls, great graphics and atmosphere.
It's on Game Pass for PC, so i'm really enjoying it on the ROG ally. Perfect game for that one.

While it's a procedurally generated rogue-like rather than a true metroidvania, I can't recommend Rogue Legacy 2 enough. It also does have some ability upgrades that act as keys, which of course is a staple of the metroidvania genre.

The game is currently included on PS Plus Extra. If you can, you should play it.

Last edited:

Labolas

Welp, time to show off some indie games
The Vagrant which is on sale for less than a dollar on Steam is a great little game
Tohou Luna Nights and Wonder Labyrinth are some of the best looking indie games you can get
0346d880914e061346c6a13622c0f71f2f973ddf.gif
deedlit-wonder-labyrinth.gif

Frontier Hunter has more of an anime aesthetic to it and fanservice in it. The only thing is that it's still in early access.

Other indie up and coming games coming out soon like:
Awaken: Astral Blade
%E6%B7%B7%E5%90%88%E5%A4%A7%E6%8B%9B.gif

Blazblue Entropy Effect
%E5%8D%96%E7%82%B91%E6%97%A0%E5%AD%97.gif

Last edited:
Metroid Prime series is a must. Hollow Knight. Zero Mission is great one for accessibility. Also Okami which is like a combination of Metroid and Zelda.

Needlecrash

Timespinners is pure cringe and woke. The gameplay was decent, but nothing amazing. But yeah... cringe:

sy4pwuihzek31.jpg

Lodoss was fun, just too short. If you a huge fan SOTN, Lodoss feels like some weird Saturn exclusive rip-off, but in all the good ways.
Timespinner....I literally just stopped playing it. Just felt weird about half-way through.

Blasphemous is an amazing Metroidvania. Sequel comes out next month.

hyperbertha

Welp, time to show off some indie games
The Vagrant which is on sale for less than a dollar on Steam is a great little game
Tohou Luna Nights and Wonder Labyrinth are some of the best looking indie games you can get
0346d880914e061346c6a13622c0f71f2f973ddf.gif
deedlit-wonder-labyrinth.gif

Frontier Hunter has more of an anime aesthetic to it and fanservice in it. The only thing is that it's still in early access.

Other indie up and coming games coming out soon like:
Awaken: Astral Blade
Nvm

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Every time I fire up a Metroid clone, I end up turning it off and just firing up Super Metroid or Symphony of the Night. When I get the itch, those two are the only ones that can satisfy it and have succeeded over and over again in 20+ years.

......Except for Chasm, that one was super dope. Mostly because of the extreme SOTN inspiration and the soundtrack was excellent.

MarkMe2525

Timespinner....I literally just stopped playing it. Just felt weird about half-way through.

Blasphemous is an amazing Metroidvania. Sequel comes out next month.
I just picked up Blasphemous on sale, and I agree that it is fantastic. I was not aware that a sequel was inbound. Exciting stuff.

Favorites:
1. Metroid Prime
2. Hollow Knight
3. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Honorable mentions:
- Ori and the Will of the Wisps
- Super Metroid
- Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
- Axiom Verge 1
- Metroid: Zero Mission

I keep seeing people recommend The Messenger and Shovel Knight, but neither of those are metroidvanias. Not, not even the second part of The Messenger - not really. Even Ori is a bit of a stretch, although there is a lot more emphasis on powerups and exploration than the other two. Doesn't mean they aren't excellent games though - both are well worth checking out.

I am thirsting for Silksong and the fact they're holding off on the release makes me super happy. Team Cherry is super ambitious and I can tell they want it to be bigger and better than Hollow Knight was, which was a feat of its own. I think it's a good sign for the game, and I bet it's going to justify that $60/70 price tag it will inevitably have.

kungfuian

Mistakenly picked up an extra copy of F.I.S.T. for Steam. Great Metroidvania! First to PM is welcome to it.

Update- Gone

Last edited:

sy4pwuihzek31.jpg

Explain the Saturn exclusive part.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Mistakenly picked up an extra copy of F.I.S.T. for Steam. Great Metroidvania! First to PM is welcome to it.

Update- Gone
I've had it on my radar for a while now but it almost never goes on sale, and I wanted to pick it up on PSN. It looks really fun, though.

Top Bottom