• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroidvania the recommendations thread

Fuz

Banned
If you can get past the art style, this one was fantastic and had a lot of replayability:

Oh, that's the second one I wanted to suggest but I couldn't remember its name :messenger_grinning_smiling:
Excellent game. I also really like the art style.

Last edited:

Holammer

Pseudoregalia deserves a mention. An indie 3D platformer with focus on movement mechanics and a retro aesthetic. There are no achievements and you will finish it 4-6h, but I really enjoyed the tight controls. Shamefully I did the thing when you start lifting & swinging the gamepad during difficult jumps.
It was made in three weeks during a Game Jam, explaining the simple and cobbled together look. That did not stop it from being well received and it stands at a 98% user score (1.9k reviews) on Steam right now.

The protagonist is an anthropomorphic goat/jackalope lady with swinging hips and no pants, so beware if that's a problem. If mom checks your PC.

tusharngf

Favorites:
1. Hollow Knight
2. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
3. Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow

Blasphemous is good but overall quests are confusing.

simpatico

Sorry for the bump, but I've got needs. I'm on a Castlevania tear. I've already burnt through everything I can on PC, and I just need more. Outside of Bloodstained, are there any games that just completely rip off the SotN formula? I'm tired of these half hearted attempts. There are some decent ones, Blasphemous (lack of weapons kill it), The Last Faith (pretty close, but it's got just enough jank to queer me out on it). Hollow Knight would be cool if it had more colors. Ori drifted into weird uncanny valley territory for me. I thin it was the art style. Too busy and depthy for that kind of gameplay. I just want a pure rip off of SotN

Does Ender Lillies have a large variety of weapons? Any turds in it's strew to be aware of?

Last edited:

kungfuian

Sorry for the bump, but I've got needs. I'm on a Castlevania tear. I've already burnt through everything I can on PC, and I just need more. Outside of Bloodstained, are there any games that just completely rip off the SotN formula? I'm tired of these half hearted attempts. There are some decent ones, Blasphemous (lack of weapons kill it), The Last Faith (pretty close, but it's got just enough jank to queer me out on it). Hollow Knight would be cool if it had more colors. Ori drifted into weird uncanny valley territory for me. I thin it was the art style. Too busy and depthy for that kind of gameplay. I just want a pure rip off of SotN

Does Ender Lillies have a large variety of weapons? Any turds in it's strew to be aware of?
You are looking for Record of Lodoss War Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent

Blasphemous 2 has more weapons if that’s your only issue with Blas 1.

I personally love the other Bloodstaind games more : curse of the moon 1&2.

simpatico

Blasphemous 2 has more weapons if that’s your only issue with Blas 1.

I personally love the other Bloodstaind games more : curse of the moon 1&2.
That's the 8 bit one right? The big one I liked a lot. Probably the closest to the true SotN clone that I'm after. I've run through it 3 times since launch and last time I tried to replay it, I found it a little too fresh in my memory to make it worthwhile. I'll check out some reviews of that CotM. I kinda glided right past it.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
That's the 8 bit one right? The big one I liked a lot. Probably the closest to the true SotN clone that I'm after. I've run through it 3 times since launch and last time I tried to replay it, I found it a little too fresh in my memory to make it worthwhile. I'll check out some reviews of that CotM. I kinda glided right past it.
They are short with high replay value. The second is so damn good. I hope they do a third.

Soundtrack slaps too.

S0ULZB0URNE

Castlevania mood or Metroidvania mood cause there is a difference.

HgjsDMP.png

Holammer

That's a very specific request for SotN style games with weapon variety. I don't think developers have time and resources to add this type of variety.
Kungfuian already mentioned Lodoss War, it's the closest we have to a SotN ripoff. There's a polarity switch mechanic in it that I'm not very fond of, but it's fine. The developer, Team Ladybug loves having gimmicks in their games and they also made Touhou Luna Night which also shares some surface similarities to SotN and if you have *any* interest in Touhou, it's a must have.

One game that fits the bill with lots of weapons, magic and stats is UnEpic. It reviews pretty well on steam with a 91% user score, but it's inspired by Maze of Galious, a MSX single screen proto-metroidvania platformer by Konami (Galious also inspired the La-Mulana series). It's a guilty pleasure for me and not really recommended.

You make a huge mistake if you pass on Hollow Knight because of the art direction. It suits the dreary setting.
I would recommend Souldiers. I loved it to death, but it was savaged in Steam User Reviews because of launch problems and an insane difficulty level. Finest pixel art graphics since the Capcom's SNES era games. Here you get all the colors your heart desires.

676135605B8C226365C094C283DAC27CEEA61675

(Screenshot with CRT-Royale Reshade)

simpatico

That's a very specific request for SotN style games with weapon variety. I don't think developers have time and resources to add this type of variety.
Kungfuian already mentioned Lodoss War, it's the closest we have to a SotN ripoff. There's a polarity switch mechanic in it that I'm not very fond of, but it's fine. The developer, Team Ladybug loves having gimmicks in their games and they also made Touhou Luna Night which also shares some surface similarities to SotN and if you have *any* interest in Touhou, it's a must have.

One game that fits the bill with lots of weapons, magic and stats is UnEpic. It reviews pretty well on steam with a 91% user score, but it's inspired by Maze of Galious, a MSX single screen proto-metroidvania platformer by Konami (Galious also inspired the La-Mulana series). It's a guilty pleasure for me and not really recommended.

You make a huge mistake if you pass on Hollow Knight because of the art direction. It suits the dreary setting.
I would recommend Souldiers. I loved it to death, but it was savaged in Steam User Reviews because of launch problems and an insane difficulty level. Finest pixel art graphics since the Capcom's SNES era games. Here you get all the colors your heart desires.
Aria of Sorrow would be a good example. Now we just need Konami to get out the next Collection so I can play Dawn of Sorrow without digging up an emulator. I'll check those out. Thanks for the recs.

IAmRei

Blaster master zero maybe? Its hybrid platformers and topdown shooter, while retaining metroidvania in their design

Shut0wen

Honestly if you havnt played cells then your doing your self a disservice, as a metroidvania and rogue lite game its by far the best, its the perfect blend of og prince of persia and metroid mixed into one

Bodom78

I just finished up The Last Faith and absolutely loved it.

A couple of hours into Elderand which seems decent so far and will continue it to the end.

Ev1L AuRoN

From the ones I've played:

Blasphemous I & II
Hollow Knight
Ori 1 & 2 →
Metroid Dread / Zero Hour / Fusion / Super 3 / Returns
Castlevania SotN / DoS / AoD
The Messenger
Axion Verge
The Mummy Demastered

Top Bottom