• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MEVIUS FINAL FANTASY First Look (Up: F2P confirmed, Mitsuto Suzuki composing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Graphics look really good, battles have a better camera than I expected, but... this trailer still doesn't tell us much unfortunately. Would definitely be interested in knowing how much exploration there is, the general RPG interface outside of battles, and so on. Also, is that the dragon from Lightning Returns at the end? Lol.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Graphically it looks really good for a smartphone title. Character design is kinda boring though, makes me think the thought process was "What if we made Vaan super buff?"

But overall it looks great, hope it plays well too :D

raven777

Graphics look really good, battles have a better camera than I expected, but... this trailer still doesn't tell us much unfortunately. Would definitely be interested in knowing how much exploration there is, the general RPG interface outside of battles, and so on. Also, is that the dragon from Lightning Returns at the end? Lol.

Lightning-Returns_FFXIII-1.jpg

Yea it definitely reminded me of this monster from Lightning Returns.

kiyoaki

So it looks like the game will have a job system? I'm conflicted. The graphics aren't half bad, but this is not the type of game I like to play on a touch screen. If there is any real world exploration, it will probably be a pain to navigate and offer little immersion with this screen format and the characters taking up such a large part of the screen.

So it looks like the game will have a job system? I'm conflicted. The graphics aren't half bad, but this is not the type of game I like to play on a touch screen. If there is any real world exploration, it will probably be a pain to navigate and offer little immersion with this screen format and the characters taking up such a large part of the screen.

I strongly suspect this is a Infinity Blade-type experience.

bar at the top looks super mobile game. portrait mode tho, why?

Because if it's not in portrait mode, the amount of people who are gonna play it drops significantly.

This is a Japanese mobile game, which means it's a game that folks here play on trains, standing in line, while holding something else etc. The second you take it out of portrait mode, it brings with it a host of accessibility problems that might not exist in other regions.

I used to hate it, but now I get irritated with games that aren't in portrait mode. How do I play it on the train when I'm trying to hold onto the grip?! Hahaha.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Looks good. Hopefully the battle speed is decent, that's the most important element in a turn-based RPG for me these days.

duckroll

There's a full resolution video on the official site: http://www.jp.square-enix.com/MEVIUSFF/

Direct link: http://gdl.square-enix.com/MEVIUSFF/meviusfinalfantasy_firstlook.mp4 (1080p, 30fps)

I'm not sure why people are saying it's an Infinity Blade clone though. I mean, that's what I expected when they first announced it, but the more they've shown and talked about the gameplay, the more obvious it is that this is a mobile version of the combat systems they've experimented with in the FFXIII trilogy. The battles are not all one on one, there are battles with multiple enemies, there is a job system, there are abilities and spells for each job, there's an elemental system, and it uses FFXIII's break system as well.

KupoNut

Pretty excited about this even though I hope Kitase brings it to consoles too at some point. Also hoping to see multiple party members.

That's one hot piece of ass. Hope it gets localised.

I believe it already has been announced for the West, yes. (Or at least it has both a Japanese and an English teaser page website)

raven777

Do we know who the director is? I know they announced producer, story writer and character designer but I don't remember if they announced the director.

Oregano

Looks a lot like the XIII games. Are we sure Toriyama isn't directing?

The graphics are really freaking good too. Best looking portable game yet?

Looks like a traditional RPG on a smartphone

Why did it take them this long to make one? :p

Looks like you only ever have one character

Koozek

Do we know who the director is? I know they announced producer, story writer and character designer but I don't remember if they announced the director.

Seems like they still haven't announced it. Maybe this is Toriyama's next secret project.

I think it's clever that they are reusing/reskinning LR assets. It's healthy for mid-budget games and enables SE to make more of those with lower risk. Now, of course, not everyone likes the fact that SE is making new native mobile games, but I think with all that Unity jazz going on it'll probably mean most of those games will also be ported to different platforms, too. SE's president even said recently that he wishes to do that more in the future.

Regardless of how this turns out, I really hope SE brings us some more JRPG goodness to mobile. I would love to see an FF or FF-like experience similar to PS1 or PS2 era fully brought to the touch screen. With all the bells and whistles and production values that an FF deserves, of course.

berzeli

Banned
That guy looks dumb hot, Hope it turns out well though

Hey now, this is a fantasy setting don't you go and limit the designer's creative vision by in any way shape or form criticise a design you don't like. Obviously you must be a prude who can't stand seeing the male physique on display.

Yes, I'm satirising the arguments from this thread.

This looks pretty impressive visually. I have no interest in smartphone games though. Aspect ratio is pretty bad.

Visually, the base geometry etc is better than FFX Type 0. Considering many people might not know that is a PSP port, that is a little embarrasing to SE. Ever powerful smartphones are obviously much, much weaker than current gen.

Lightning-Returns_FFXIII-1.jpg

Yea it definitely reminded me of this monster from Lightning Returns.
Yeah, thought the exact same thing. The LR demo is tattooed in my mind after the countless times I played it.

Mevius is looking pretty cool from what can be seen. I hate mobile gaming, but this game has my attention.

Fuu

Looks like a traditional RPG on a smartphone

Why did it take them this long to make one? :p

Looks like you only ever have one character
Aside from the FF/DQ ports they released a few games in the Chaos Rings series, those originated on smartphones and are fairly traditional as far as JRPGs go.

Aside from the FF/DQ ports they released a few games in the Chaos Rings series, those originated on smartphones and are fairly traditional as far as JRPGs go.

Hences the tougue out emote

I am aware that its been done but its nice to see it moving forward.

I am so done with endless runners and Match 3's

Time to actual build other kinds of games on smartphones. ESPECIALLY turn based rpgs

Fuu

Hences the tougue out emote

I am aware that its been done but its nice to see it moving forward.

I am so done with endless runners and Match 3's

Time to actual build other kinds of games on smartphones. ESPECIALLY turn based rpgs
Ah my bad, I didn't get the joke haha. It's just that a lot of people aren't aware of their mobile efforts and Mevius is getting more attention than those for being an exclusive FF.

By the looks of it, this game will easily get a remastered port for Vita or Ps4

Looks really good for a smartphone game
My Sony Xperia Z3 should handle this

fertygo

Because if it's not in portrait mode, the amount of people who are gonna play it drops significantly.

This is a Japanese mobile game, which means it's a game that folks here play on trains, standing in line, while holding something else etc. The second you take it out of portrait mode, it brings with it a host of accessibility problems that might not exist in other regions.

I used to hate it, but now I get irritated with games that aren't in portrait mode. How do I play it on the train when I'm trying to hold onto the grip?! Hahaha.

They no have this stupid problem at every handheld era before smartphone, and can't company providing option anyway.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Gonna be a very small range of devices that can run this I imagine. Like... exclusively stuff launched in 2015?

Reminds me of when Agito was a phone game but they hugely over-estimated phone hardware and had to go back to PSP.

By the looks of it, this game will easily get a remastered port for Vita or Ps4

Looks really good for a smartphone game

I feel like they should do mobile across all the handhelds yeah

Makes perfect sense honestly and the gap is thinning between mobile phones and handhelds

Hell they all run on damn near the same hardware now (ARM Processors)

While the game looks nice there's really not a whole lot to go on besides the MC being able to turn into different jobs.

Zomba13

Game looks pretty and I always love a good job system. Shame I won't be able to play it though, I've got a Nexus 4 phone and I doubt it'll work on that and I don't really have the need to upgrade my phone or the money to get a tablet or iPad.

duckroll

Gonna be a very small range of devices that can run this I imagine. Like... exclusively stuff launched in 2015?

Reminds me of when Agito was a phone game but they hugely over-estimated phone hardware and had to go back to PSP.

It runs on the Nexus 5, so that's a good benchmark for what other Android phones should be able to run it. That came out in 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom