• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MEVIUS FINAL FANTASY First Look (Up: F2P confirmed, Mitsuto Suzuki composing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mihos

Gold Member
The only thing I hate more than gaming on my phone is gaming in portrait mode on my phone. Wish this was on Vita or 3DS, I love FF.... or at least make it landscape so I can play it on my Shield

Hmmm, asthetically looks a bit like FFXII to me...sans any of the charm. Very Lightening Returns feel to the enemies as well.

We'll see, black mage costumes looks OP though!

That black mage design though.

Looks fun, nice to see that they're trying the FFXIII battle system on something else, hopefully we can juggle enemies as well.

I hope we get a video on the battle system and exploration though.

It runs on the Nexus 5, so that's a good benchmark for what other Android phones should be able to run it. That came out in 2013.
I'm clueless when it comes to smart phone prowess, but if the Nexus 5 could run it, do you think the HTC One could (also a 2013 phone)?

GlamFM

Banned
I´m immediately put off by the character design. But there´s no denying that this looks and sounds great.

Koozek

gameplay looks more interesting than ff15 at the very least.

doc-rivers.gif

The dagger and the black mage weapon are from FF XIV.

Like 100% sure.

Otherwise the game looks good.

I'm clueless when it comes to smart phone prowess, but if the Nexus 5 could run it, do you think the HTC One could (also a 2013 phone)?

Um...hard to tell, but the One is less powerful than the Nexus 5. So probably not, or with notably worse performance.

Even if the Nexus 5 was a 2013 phone, it was one of the most powerful ones, so even by today standards is still top tier.

The dagger and the black mage weapon are from FF XIV.

Like 100% sure.

Otherwise the game looks good.

Um...hard to tell, but the One is less powerful than the Nexus 5. So probably not, or with notably worse performance.

Even if the Nexus 5 was a 2013 phone, it was one of the most powerful ones, so even by today standards is still top tier.

Gash darnit!

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
A few games have some effects disabled and/or a lower framerate when they run on older devices, maybe that'll be the case with this one. Theatrhythm did that for example.

koutoru

Looks interesting, I'll be looking forward to full gameplay videos. When it comes to mobile JRPGs, SE actually tends to do a pretty good job with them.

I wouldn't be surprised if this got ported to Vita eventually.
In fact, that would fall in line with what they have said in the past regarding their vita support.

duckroll

The M7 might not run it because of a weaker processor, but it has similar ram and resolution so it's not out of the question. The M8 should definitely run it fine.

Zafir

Seems rather reminiscent of Lightning Returns game play wise. Not that it's a bad thing. I did enjoy the combat in it.

Corgi

Banned
Please explain
this seems like a mismash of many of my favorite battle systems in FF. While everything shown of ff15 seems like a clunky KH game with some batman style counter system.

Need to get hands on both naturally

This looks like Lightning Returns but with a dude.

Looks like a mix of LR and FF XIV.

Might be all those reused assets.

Is hard to tell, but looks like it might be a giant corridor game, certainly the portrait mode plus the little exploration footage gives that sensation.

Can't be. If it was then you'd play as Lightning fighting Lightning while dressed in the Lightning job outfit.

Maybe he's actually Lightning and at the end of the game is revealed that Lightning soul was actually inside of this dude's body for the whole game.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Copy/Paste of a boss from another game is really cheap... I understand reusing assets, but that's just a bland import of an old monster model without any minimal change to it.

What's this, LR: FFXIII-2? Even animations look extremely familiar...

duckroll

Watching the battle footage again, I think I've figured out quite a bit about the interface.

- The number next to the attack icon in the bottom right shows how many normal attacks the player has left in that turn. We know that you can just tap the screen at any time to time the attacks you have, but I'm certain that counter is the number of attacks you have available.

- The element icon next to the enemy HP/Break bars doesn't seem to be the element that you get from attacking the enemy, but rather the enemy's elemental affinity. The elements you draw out from enemies from doing attacks seem somewhat randomized.

- The element icons at the top bar is definitely your element stock, which is then used up to buff your elemental defenses and to trigger spells and ability attacks which are available to your current job.

- The second bar on the enemy indicator is the Break bar, when it is completely drained, the enemy goes into break state. This seems similar to the stagger status in FFXIII.

Mmm. It would explain why they've yet to reveal the director.

Would it? If it's Toriyama I don't think they would be hiding it. He's popular in the company and is a known talent they can introduce. If they don't say anything about a director of a game, usually it just means it's not something that has any marketing value. Maybe it's someone new or someone not many people would know about.

Koozek

Copy/Paste of a boss from another game is really cheap... I understand reusing assets, but that's just a bland import of an old monster model without any minimal change to it.

What's this, LR: FFXIII-2? Even animations look extremely familiar...

I think it's okay if they reskin/retexture a bit (which they did here with the dragon if I'm not wrong). In general this approach of recycling is a neat idea, imo, for mid-budget games. Especially generic animations can be easily reused for similar kind of monsters (use the same for every Behemot in FFs for example). Saves time and money.

Please explain
A FF with a variation of XIII's battle system looks more fun than something made by fans complaining in a forum?

If this game is as hard as FFXIII or LR, then I wouldn't really disagree with him.

Would it? If it's Toriyama I don't think they would be hiding it. He's popular in the company and is a known talent they can introduce. If they don't say anything about a director of a game, usually it just means it's not something that has any marketing value. Maybe it's someone new or someone not many people would know about.
Yeah, it doesn't look like they're trying to hide Toriyama.

Also, who are the names they've said so far? I only remember Kitase.

Watching the battle footage again, I think I've figured out quite a bit about the interface.

- The number next to the attack icon in the bottom right shows how many normal attacks the player has left in that turn. We know that you can just tap the screen at any time to time the attacks you have, but I'm certain that counter is the number of attacks you have available.

- The element icon next to the enemy HP/Break bars doesn't seem to be the element that you get from attacking the enemy, but rather the enemy's elemental affinity. The elements you draw out from enemies from doing attacks seem somewhat randomized.

- The element icons at the top bar is definitely your element stock, which is then used up to buff your elemental defenses and to trigger spells and ability attacks which are available to your current job.

- The second bar on the enemy indicator is the Break bar, when it is completely drained, the enemy goes into break state. This seems similar to the stagger status in FFXIII.

Ugh... i hated the break Mechanics in 13 but I cant imagine they are being done the same way here

Exentryk

Hmm, quite a few things look similar to Lightning Returns. The basic attacks were just tapping on the screen, but there were some special moves as well, which weren't executed via taps. The top bar adds up orbs when you attack, but not sure how it chains stuff, or how you can control what orbs go there.

Anyway, not expecting much from a mobile game. Wake me up if/when it hits consoles.

EDIT - Looks like duckroll explained some stuff. Cool.

Zil33184

After seeing footage I'd say it's looking good, although not as good as previous bullshots.

Might take a lot of engineering to run on Vita so I'm not sure this will be ported, but I'd rather play a widescreen version on a portable console if I could. Otherwise I'll probably be looking into an iPhone 6S in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom