• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Phelps Becomes Most Decorated Olympian of All Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korey

heYpy.png

11373487-essay.jpg

In case you haven't been following the 2012 Olympics, history was made yesterday when Michael Phelps beat someone's record in most Olympic medals won ever, essentially making the greatest athlete in the history of the universe an American. He is now the most decorated Olympian ever with 19 medals won. This is a monumental feat, but not a totally unexpected one, since Americans are used to being #1 at basically anything we care about.

Phelps won a Gold medal along with Ryan Lochte, Conor Dwyer, and Ricky Berens (also Americans) in the 4x200 freestyle relay, earning his 19th medal. He still has three more opportunities in these games to win more medals.

In a post-race interview, Phelps had this to say:

President Barack Obama tweeted the following, congratulating Phelps on his achievement:

At the time of this post, the USA is ranked #1 on the 2012 Olympics medal count.

4Gc8c.png

In sadder news, the host England has yet to win a single gold medal.

Edit: While America was busy celebrating one of their own making history by becoming the greatest athlete in the history of mankind, the clouds parted slightly for England who managed to win their first gold medal. Congratulations.

More photos here.

Bullshit

He is the most successful Olympian, but not the best

Swimming has a distinct advantage to medal counts. It should be weighed a bit better

Korey said:
In sadder news, the host England has yet to win a single gold medal

WRONG!

HhiSS.jpg

Xun

Great swimmer, but there's no such thing as greatest Olympian.

Also very ignorant and dickish OP.

Onemic

Shouldn't the title say michael phelps? But we all know what you're doing op

And going by medals a swimmer is pretty much guaranteed to be the greatest olympian. Don't know why athletes in the title though

Im fairly sure there have been atleast two English people with Golds in four or five diffrent events, rather than just swimming but there we go.

marrec

Banned
The U.S. is the greatest, best country God has ever given man on the face of the earth.

SnW1W.jpg

Oh God this is super embarrassing and I hate to point this out in front of everyone like this but...

Your Bald Eagle isn't crying tears of patriotism.

CiSTM

Banned
Will the US also accuse him of doping?

There really should be some kind of penalties for athletes, coaches or other olympic officials who go mouthing off about doping without any proof. But yeah, Pheleps is the best swimmer around and will be for the longest time.

I always considered Michael Jordan the greatest athlete of all time, irrespective of how many Olympic medals some other guy wins. Still, its a pretty amazing achievement.
I hope Phelps gets one more medal, just because 20 is a nice tidy number.

lexi

Banned
Oh God this is super embarrassing and I hate to point this out in front of everyone like this but...

Your Bald Eagle isn't crying tears of patriotism.

You're right. I have tarnished the greatest country that ever was or will be, excuse me while I live out my pitiful existence in exile :(

Raist

Banned
Great swimmer, but there's no such thing as greatest Olympian.

Also very ignorant and dickish OP.

It's Korey. I'm surprised he didn't shop a bald eagle standing on top of tower bridge, feasting on the Queen's dead body.

Dr Prob

Banned
You mean greatest swimmer. Athlete LOL

:D

George Carlin said:
Swimming isn't a sport. Swimming is a way to keep from drowning. That's just common sense.

Sailing isn't a sport. Sailing is a way to get somewhere. Riding the bus isn't a sport, why the fuck should sailing be a sport?

The Olympics are cool, but I don't get where one man/woman being marginally better than someone else is cause for big nationalistic whoopdeedoo. Their fellow countrymen had nothing to do with it.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
He's the greatest swimmer.

But swimming and track athletes have the ability to win multiple medals in a single Olympics.

Jesse Owens and Carl Lewis won multiple golds in kind of different events, long jump and running.

Have there been any athletes that have won multiple medals in different disciplines?

Abridged version - Chinese swimmer breaks world record with incredible career best swim. US coach makes snide doping comment.

Oh yeah, that was the story:

ye-shiwen-is-a-girl.jpg%3Fw%3D600%26h%3D400%26crop%3D1

Ye stunned world swimming on Saturday by winning gold in the 400m individual medley in a world-record time. It was her final 100m of freestyle, in which she recorded a split time of 58.68se. Over the last 50m she was quicker than the American Ryan Lochte, who won the men's 400m individual medley in the second-fastest time in history .

Only 16 years old, woman, and still faster than a physically bigger american male swimmer.

Now that is one of the greatest athletes of all time, imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom