• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Phelps breaks 2168-year-old Olympic record with 13th individual gold medal

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
www.nytimes.com/2016/08/12/sports/olympics/michael-phelps-200-im-ryan-lochte-leonidas.html

The 200-meter individual medley field was chasing Michael Phelps, who powered past Leonidas of Rhodes.

Leonidas won 12 individual events over four Olympics. At 36, five years older than Phelps, he won his last three golds in 152 B.C, in races of about 200 and 400 meters and in a shield-carrying race. Phelps surpassed Leonidas, winning his 13th individual gold (and 22nd gold overall and 26th medal). With the victory, Phelps also joined the track and field Olympians Al Oerter and Carl Lewis as the only Americans to win an individual event four times.

Phelps was timed in 1 minute 54.66. He won by over a bodylength, and the time was his second-best ever behind a 1:54.23 from Beijing. He held up four fingers afterward to indicate his four consecutive victories in the event, or the four golds he’s won at this Olympics.

Tagyhag

Very cool.

If i'm being honest, a shield carrying race sounds a lot more impressive than swimming, but I can't deny Phelps superhuman abilities.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I don't think this record will stand as long, but damn if anyone else is ever going to reach Phelps' status any time soon!

Soriku

gerard-butler-as-king-leonidas-in-300-2006.jpg

Tagyhag

Not just a shield, they also wore a bronze helmet for that race

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoplitodromos

Runners also carried the aspis, the hoplites' bronze-covered wood shield, bringing the total encumbrance to at least 50 pounds. As the hoplitodromos was one of the shorter foot races, the heavy armor and shield was less a test of endurance than one of sheer muscular strength.

How is this not a thing still? That's more badass than any other sport in the modern olympics.

- J - D -

That's not fair. the athletes from 2168 years ago didn't have the chemical aids modern "athletes" can exploit.

I'm talking about Subway's jacked footlongs and weed, of course.

random25

I mean, if Leonidas' events have him running backwards for a 200 and 400 meter races then he would have more golds than Phelps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom