• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Caeleb Dressel is here to style on Phelps & his swimming records

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
There is a new sheriff in town Phelps, and his name is Caeleb Dressel. He's here to take your medals and world records.

gettyimages-824494232-f241d2bbb7dce79d88de4902c198bdb29bb1e903-s800-c85.jpg

NPR

In case you follow swimming only every four years, here's a new name to learn: Caeleb Dressel.

The 20-year-old University of Florida student won his seventh gold medal at World Aquatics Championships in Budapest, Hungary on Sunday – tying him with Michael Phelps for most golds at the meet. Three of those were in individual races, four were in relays.

A day before, Dressel set a record all his own: three gold medals in a single night.

In the span of two hours on Saturday, Dressel won the 50-meter freestyle, the 100-meter butterfly, and was part of a victorious mixed 4x100 free relay team. He was named the top male swimmer of the meet.

Loxley

You know, I kinda wanted this to just be Phelps wearing a fake mustache and swimming under an alias so he could win more medals XD

Zuk

Neo Member
I think this is a little premature to make such a claim. To have one meet where you're totally in the zone and prepared to dominate is one thing. To do it consistently for many years is another. We shall see.

As an American though, I'm always open to seeing the continued dominance of USA swimming.

Calamari41

41 > 38
It's going to be tough just to match Phelps' Olympic career, even if he actually is as good or even better of a swimmer. He's going to have to rely on teammates for relay wins, to start. Competition could end up being tougher down the road, and he also has to worry about longevity.

Wish him the best of course, it's always good to pile up American Olympic gold.

Top Bottom