• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In swimming, countries use B teams in relay qualifying, A teams in finals

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiscoJer

Eh. It's a team sport. Lesser members of a team are still members.

Like in racing, the driver doesn't change tires or fill up the gas tank. Well, I guess in those long distance rally races, maybe.

toneroni

They all contributed and it's all gravy I think. As others said, it's like bench and practice squad players getting championship rings too. Except these swimmers actually helped them qualify.

Beach

This is like complaining about soccer clubs using B-Teams in league cups until the final games

Dumb complaint

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
I don't see why they allow different teams in the first place. I assume it is so they the big stars can be in as many finals as possible which generates publicity.

Also to me the Olympics have a much more personal flavour, where you have to strive to become your country's participant for a particular event which is a huge honor in itself since the games are every 4 years. But if the coaches are just changing the team willy nilly every round up until the final them it loses that effect. I think the Olympics should be different to just a regular seasonal championship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom